You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015
Mercedes Citaro 5300 has had a bit of a bump to the Rear I see, about time this batch of Vehicles were treated to another Repaint I think.

[attachment=6715]
(19 May 2015, 7:22 pm)Malarkey wrote Mercedes Citaro 5300 has had a bit of a bump to the Rear I see, about time this batch of Vehicles were treated to another Repaint I think.

Wonder if they will get branded soon since SM currently have no new buses.. although they still have rest of the Red Kite Omnicities and rest of the Eclipses.

I also think the 61 will be branded "Silver Arrows", as GNE said 2 new brands, we have the "Black Cats" for service 33/33A and 39 (due to interworking) and 1 still not confirmed...

Or GNE could still brand both the 35/35A/36 and 61.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(19 May 2015, 7:35 pm)Michael wrote Wonder if they will get branded soon since SM currently have no new buses.. although they still have rest of the Red Kite Omnicities and rest of the Eclipses.

I also think the 61 will be branded "Silver Arrows", as GNE said 2 new brands, we have the "Black Cats" for service 33/33A and 39 (due to interworking) and 1 still not confirmed...

Or GNE could still brand both the 35/35A/36 and 61.

I wonder if there'll be a revised Laser livery
(19 May 2015, 7:42 pm)Davie wrote I wonder if there'll be a revised Laser livery

I'm not sure what they could do for it, they seem to have moved on to having local places on... such as Penshaw etc.. 

Looking at the 35/35A/36 routes 

35 / 35A: Low Moorsley – Hetton-le-Hole – Hetton Downs – Houghton-le-Spring – Newbottle – East Herrington – Durham Road (35) – Silksworth (35A) – Barnes Park - Royal Hospital – Sunderland – Southwick – Castletown – Town End Farm – Boldon – Wardley - Heworth

36: Chester-le-Street – Great Lumley – Fence Houses – Houghton-le-Spring - Newbottle – East Herrington – Durham Road – Royal Hospital – Sunderland – Southwick – Castletown – Town End Farm

The brand could include the City centre, SOL, East Herrington (for the park/Penshaw), the Hospital and Hylton Castle.
--------

As for the 61, they could Promote Dalton Park and the Bridges, along with Seaham. 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(19 May 2015, 7:22 pm)Malarkey wrote Mercedes Citaro 5300 has had a bit of a bump to the Rear I see, about time this batch of Vehicles were treated to another Repaint I think.

Looks like a mirror arm has given it a smack...

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Just read the scheduled wrong workings thread before. Three normal 309's (not short ones) allocated Red Deckers (excluding 6116 / 6117). Should swap them around so that the 310 gets the lesser vehicles due to it making less money and not serving the inner Cobalt like the 309. Would ot not be more sensible to do the following:

- Increase Monday to Friday PVR to 17 all day (bar evenings) with Deptford loosing 6100. I know that's not great but, the 56 gets nearly 15 minutes layover at Park Lane and a good few minutes in Newcastle
- Only additional vehicle needed would most likely be the 1605 X39 feeding onto the 307.
- As long as the 309 was timed to pick from Cobalt at around 10-15 minutes past the hour and 40-45 to the hour, then there'd be no need for duplicate runs such as 1708 and 1718. Them journeys were only there when the single decks were at bursting point. As long as it ran every 15 minutes or so, that would do nicely.
And what they could do is setup a scheme so that on a weekend, 6100 could be sent to Deptford if needed (preferably via the 9 with another vehicle in exchange).
(19 May 2015, 7:58 pm)Michael wrote I'm not sure what they could do for it, they seem to have moved on to having local places on... such as Penshaw etc.. 

Looking at the 35/35A/36 routes 

35 / 35A: Low Moorsley – Hetton-le-Hole – Hetton Downs – Houghton-le-Spring – Newbottle – East Herrington – Durham Road (35) – Silksworth (35A) – Barnes Park - Royal Hospital – Sunderland – Southwick – Castletown – Town End Farm – Boldon – Wardley - Heworth

36: Chester-le-Street – Great Lumley – Fence Houses – Houghton-le-Spring - Newbottle – East Herrington – Durham Road – Royal Hospital – Sunderland – Southwick – Castletown – Town End Farm

The brand could include the City centre, SOL, East Herrington (for the park/Penshaw), the Hospital and Hylton Castle.
--------

As for the 61, they could Promote Dalton Park and the Bridges, along with Seaham. 
What are the Passenger Numbers even like on the 36, as I have only used it the once from Park Lane to Town End Farm in which 6090 was allocated and it was quiet, and with persistent changes to Services in North Sunderland over the years would it even be worth Branding the Service at all.
(19 May 2015, 10:06 pm)Malarkey wrote What are the Passenger Numbers even like on the 36, as I have only used it the once from Park Lane to Town End Farm in which 6090 was allocated and it was quiet, and with persistent changes to Services in North Sunderland over the years would it even be worth Branding the Service at all.

No idea on passenger numbers on the 36, it doesn't help with the amount of changes to North Sunderland.

Not sure if its worth branding the services.. its coming up to 6 months and no changes are happening, may of cracked North Sunderland once and for all haha
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(19 May 2015, 10:06 pm)Malarkey wrote What are the Passenger Numbers even like on the 36, as I have only used it the once from Park Lane to Town End Farm in which 6090 was allocated and it was quiet, and with persistent changes to Services in North Sunderland over the years would it even be worth Branding the Service at all.

The main thing that has changed most recently on the North Sunderland section is the service number so that it coincides with other changes. Services 35/36 wouldn't have been upgraded to a 15 minute frequency if the buses were empty at a 20 minute frequency (when previously numbered 29). The fact that this upgrade occurred suggests a lot about the passenger numbers...

The services will be branded eventually. Unfortunately an influx of new vehicles, second hand vehicles entering service, buses undergoing repaint, and the preparation which is paired with all of the aforementioned factors, means that people have to prioritise. I understand completely that it's not great having buses going around in a plain base livery colour, but this is not new. Arriva do exactly the same with their MAX/Sapphire buses when they are freshly repainted, as things can't be turned around as quickly as you would expect, especially when dealing with third party contractors (as the bus company in question will not be their only customer).

The decisions involved in running a bus company are not an overnight operation - things do take time. You can't truly appreciate this until you see all of the work that goes on 'behind the scenes'.

No idea about the northern section of the route, but with the amalgamation of the 71 and 35a, along with a lower frequency on the southern section, numbers look better.
Whether those loads are the equivalent of 3 bus loads of 35a's and two 71's, I am not sure.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(20 May 2015, 4:49 am)Dan wrote The main thing that has changed most recently on the North Sunderland section is the service number so that it coincides with other changes. Services 35/36 wouldn't have been upgraded to a 15 minute frequency if the buses were empty at a 20 minute frequency (when previously numbered 29). The fact that this upgrade occurred suggests a lot about the passenger numbers...

The services will be branded eventually. Unfortunately an influx of new vehicles, second hand vehicles entering service, buses undergoing repaint, and the preparation which is paired with all of the aforementioned factors, means that people have to prioritise. I understand completely that it's not great having buses going around in a plain base livery colour, but this is not new. Arriva do exactly the same with their MAX/Sapphire buses when they are freshly repainted, as things can't be turned around as quickly as you would expect, especially when dealing with third party contractors (as the bus company in question will not be their only customer).

The decisions involved in running a bus company are not an overnight operation - things do take time. You can't truly appreciate this until you see all of the work that goes on 'behind the scenes'.

Its good that they finally have North Sunderland sorted and the new 35/35A/36 routes are working, lets hope they stay this way for a LONG time. 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(20 May 2015, 8:59 am)Andreos1 wrote No idea about the northern section of the route, but with the amalgamation of the 71 and 35a, along with a lower frequency on the southern section, numbers look better.
Whether those loads are  the equivalent of 3 bus loads of 35a's and two 71's, I am not sure.

The northern section varies i think, iv'e only being on the 35 and 36 a few times and its had decent numbers. 

The routes themselves won't get many or anyone doing the full routes... well of course if your an ethusistast u might Tongue
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(20 May 2015, 9:08 am)Michael wrote The northern section varies i think, iv'e only being on the 35 and 36 a few times and its had decent numbers. 

The routes themselves won't get many or anyone doing the full routes... well of course if your an ethusistast u might Tongue

Maybe a few cross-city runs, but I agree about point to point trips.
Similar to the trips punters using SNE make.

Saying that, numbers doing the full 35/35a routes in previous Shields - wherever guises, will not have been massive either. Maybe a few in summer months, but on the whole, it would have been pretty limited.
(20 May 2015, 9:15 am)Andreos1 wrote Maybe a few cross-city runs, but I agree about point to point trips.
Similar to the trips punters using SNE make.

Saying that, numbers doing the full 35/35a routes in previous Shields - wherever guises, will not have been massive either. Maybe a few in summer months, but on the whole, it would have been pretty limited.

I also think GNE have seen that people of Sunderland like cross city services, i think it was Dan who first mentioned this. 
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(20 May 2015, 9:18 am)Michael wrote I also think GNE have seen that people of Sunderland like cross city services, i think it was Dan who first mentioned this.

To be fair, it was pretty obvious what the punters of Sunderland like (apart from Cheesy chips and Panda Pop), since the days of the PTE and Busways Wink.
If you follow Go North East's facebook page, you may have seen a post regarding services 44, 44A, X31, V8 and 78 being diverted due to a road closure. This was because of a car crashing into a telephone pole. However, the bus i was on still went round there and was forced to do a 3 point turn and it involved sticking the vehicle in a 'back street' which had cars parked in on both sides and the driver managed to do the turn really well. Who said women couldn't drive? Tongue
(20 May 2015, 5:05 pm)Robert wrote If you follow Go North East's facebook page, you may have seen a post regarding services 44, 44A, X31, V8 and 78 being diverted due to a road closure. This was because of a car crashing into a telephone pole. However, the bus i was on still went round there and was forced to do a 3 point turn and it involved sticking the vehicle in a 'back street' which had cars parked in on both sides and the driver managed to do the turn really well. Who said women couldn't drive? Tongue
Wonder if the tried to audition for 'double deck driving school' where the female trainer tried to catch that bloke out  ut he spotted it and she turned the bus around!
Site Administrator
VDL SB120/Wright Merit 8261 has transferred to Washington from Riverside. DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8251 consequently withdrawn from service at Washington - now in storage at Saltmeadows.
(20 May 2015, 7:57 pm)Dan wrote VDL SB120/Wright Merit 8261 has transferred to Washington from Riverside. DAF SB120/Wright Cadet 8251 consequently withdrawn from service at Washington - now in storage at Saltmeadows.

Does 'death row' still exist at Hexham? Just with all of the withdrawn vehicles being parked at Saltmeadows thats all.
Site Administrator
(20 May 2015, 8:08 pm)Robert wrote Does 'death row' still exist at Hexham? Just with all of the withdrawn vehicles being parked at Saltmeadows thats all.

No. Obviously there was a lot less room at Saltmeadows when all of the buses ran out of there, but since the operations transferred to Riverside, there's a lot more room. Makes sense to utilise it by storing the withdrawn buses here opposed to Hexham (excl 4845 which I believe donated its engine and various other parts to B10s at Riverside).
Again, this might make me sound quite stupid, but what makes the Lolyne's not DDA compliant? As far as I know they're a low floor bus which disabled passengers can get on...

I hope you all accept my apparent lack of knowledge by the way! I haven't been 'serious' about being a bus enthusiast for that long.
(20 May 2015, 8:49 pm)leestransportphotos wrote Again, this might make me sound quite stupid, but what makes the Lolyne's not DDA compliant? As far as I know they're a low floor bus which disabled passengers can get on...

I hope you all accept my apparent lack of knowledge by the way! I haven't been 'serious' about being a bus enthusiast for that long.

Info about DDA regulations can be seen here
(20 May 2015, 8:49 pm)leestransportphotos wrote Again, this might make me sound quite stupid, but what makes the Lolyne's not DDA compliant? As far as I know they're a low floor bus which disabled passengers can get on...

(20 May 2015, 8:53 pm)Tom wrote Info about DDA regulations can be seen here

So which part of this list, do these vehicles not comply with?
Hang on, looking at that list does that mean Omnicities are not compliant as the drivers can drive away while the kneeling system is lowered?
Just saw a picture of the ''Toon Link'' Omnicities and they look absolutely outstanding! One of the best so far I think!
Site Administrator
(21 May 2015, 7:03 am)Tom wrote Just saw a picture of the ''Toon Link'' Omnicities and they look absolutely outstanding! One of the best so far I think!

Anyone wanting photos - a branded example is at the Metrocentre Coach Park.

The final Streetlite due for delivery, 5410, has now arrived.