You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2015
can anybody remember the start date when the streetlites went onto service 23?.

Site Administrator
(27 May 2015, 5:43 pm)cbma06 wrote can anybody remember the start date when the streetlites went onto service 23?.

The X21 branded EcoCitys entered service on Sunday 26th October 2014. As service 23 doesn't operate on a Sunday, I would imagine they entered service on Monday 27th, as it was a joint launch.
(27 May 2015, 6:09 pm)Dan wrote The X21 branded EcoCitys entered service on Sunday 26th October 2014. As service 23 doesn't operate on a Sunday, I would imagine they entered service on Monday 27th, as it was a joint launch.

Cheers for the information Dan.

(27 May 2015, 5:06 pm)Dan wrote It's not the end of the world, but it's not what you would expect on a service held within a premium brand. You would expect consistency between one vehicle and the next.

As I said in my previous post, there's a cost involved in replacing LEDs. The recent withdrawals in the fleet has allowed Go North East to accumulate a number of surplus LED destination displays, and the wheels are now consequently in motion to have the vehicles in each brand with the same types of destination displays. Indeed, Volvo B10BLE 4845 has recently donated its LEDs to Scania L94 4954, so that the entire "Prince Bishops" branded fleet has LEDs. You'll find similar "Highwayman" branded 4941 will also have its flipdots exchanged for LEDs...

Do you really think I'd moan about something, to leave the door wide open for it to be turned back on me? I think not...! Wink 

I don't care what colour the screens are so long as I can read it, but it is rather unprofessional to have two different sets of screens on the same branded service. It isn't ideal, I'd like to see Arriva get white screens for the Pulsar's but I doubt that it will happen.

It is also rather poor having different sets of vehicles on the same service too but I think the reason why the 7 didn't go full double decker operation was because it probably couldn't be justified at this time as it is only certain journeys in the day that really need the additional capacity of a double decker, when you see them during the middle of the day you will often only see a small handful of people sat upstairs but double deckers were needed on peak time runs especially one of the morning journeys that extend to Framwellgate Moor for New College Durham students.
(27 May 2015, 6:42 pm)Jimmi wrote I don't care what colour the screens are so long as I can read it, but it is rather unprofessional to have two different sets of screens on the same branded service. It isn't ideal, I'd like to see Arriva get white screens for the Pulsar's but I doubt that it will happen.

It is also rather poor having different sets of vehicles on the same service too but I think the reason why the 7 didn't go full double decker operation was because it probably couldn't be justified at this time as it is only certain journeys in the day that really need the additional capacity of a double decker, when you see them during the middle of the day you will often only see a small handful of people sat upstairs but double deckers were needed on peak time runs especially one of the morning journeys that extend to Framwellgate Moor for New College Durham students.

On your point regarding the deckers on the 7. It'll be interesting to see how long this lasts. Reason I say, is because GNE tried mixed operation (and failed) with both the 21 and X1. The difference here is that GNE realised their mistakes and corrected them, whereas I feel Arriva will attempt to just make do with the capacity issues. You only have to look as far as the X12 for that.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
As I mentioned earlier the X15/X18 timetables are an absolute mess, what use is a timetable if you can't even follow it! Huh

It's so bad I think I am going to have to resort to Traveline - Plan a Journey to see the times as I don't have an update leaflet for these services Angry
(27 May 2015, 7:27 pm)Jimmi wrote As I mentioned earlier the X15/X18 timetables are an absolute mess, what use is a timetable if you can't even follow it! Huh

It's so bad I think I am going to have to resort to Traveline - Plan a Journey to see the times as I don't have an update leaflet for these services Angry
Try the Nexus website and search for it.
Against the Anti-Lee Club.
(27 May 2015, 7:27 pm)Jimmi wrote As I mentioned earlier the X15/X18 timetables are an absolute mess, what use is a timetable if you can't even follow it! Huh

The paper timetable I have from Nov 14, is 35 pages.
As much a mess in paper format as online I fear.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Quick little bit of info from Stockton is that 4502 was removed from service last week and has gone to Thorntons. Unsure if that's where 1907 has gone too but that one disappeared from Stockton's yard while 1753/6 and 1902 remain.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

The MAX timetable? I thought that they were "easy to read" timetables - another feature that shouldnt be special.

I would help you on his but I also don have the revised timetable.
I was referring to the online timetables for the X15/X18. The reason is because the journeys are all over the place with them being split at various points in the route.

Don't have the current X14/X15/X18 leaflet but if it is anything like the current X93 leaflet it should be easy enough to understand.

I have never been a fan of Arriva's online timetables as I think the font used looks tacky, it could do with being a bit brighter and they are usually riddled with mistakes - the previous 21/X21 timetable suddenly jumped from Newton Aycliffe Town Centre to the X21 leaving Peterlee for Sunderland! Honestly wished they made them the same as the paper timetables.
(28 May 2015, 12:20 pm)mb134 wrote Just passed 1773 running 29 minutes late on an X14, what's going on with this service?! 

One was 40 odd (I think it was) late last Tuesday 
All journeys using north road (Darlington) are currently experiencing very heavy delays due to temporary lights near the odeon cinema

I noted one sapphire service 7 running around 45 minutes late
(28 May 2015, 12:33 pm)Stewy wrote All journeys using north road (Darlington) are currently experiencing very heavy delays due to temporary lights near the odeon cinema

I noted one sapphire service 7 running around 45 minutes late
AGAIN! For crying out loud can't they ever leave the A167 in Darlington alone, the amount of deleys I have experienced over the years is a joke, for over year all my buses were running a minimum of 15 minutes late whilst they put temporary two way traffic lights up whilst they did works to the footpaths between Chotham Mundaville (don't know how to spell it) and Harrowgate Hill.

One Sunday a few months back they put temporary three way lights outside Morrisons for NO REASON WHATSOEVER!!!

I am sick of pointless roadworks (pathworks) down here, can someone please start a service from Aycliffe that misses North Road out so I don't have to suffer everytime they want to do something down here.

The 7 also has to get through horrific three way lights in Ferryhill as well so little wonder it is running 45 minutes late.
(28 May 2015, 12:44 pm)Jimmi wrote AGAIN! For crying out loud can't they ever leave the A167 in Darlington alone, the amount of deleys I have experienced over the years is a joke, for over year all my buses were running a minimum of 15 minutes late whilst they put temporary two way traffic lights up whilst they did works to the footpaths between Chotham Mundaville (don't know how to spell it) and Harrowgate Hill.

One Sunday a few months back they put temporary three way lights outside Morrisons for NO REASON WHATSOEVER!!!

I am sick of pointless roadworks (pathworks) down here, can someone please start a service from Aycliffe that misses North Road out so I don't have to suffer everytime they want to do something down here.

The 7 also has to get through horrific three way lights in Ferryhill as well so little wonder it is running 45 minutes late.

I know what you mean, I'm on service 2 town to branksome and just seen 2 sapphire buses going down woodland road (Not in Service) in order to get to the A1m so they don't have to sit in traffic trying to get up north road, 
Is Arriva going to print off some timetable for service 22 and service 24 since their have gone Sapphire, and will it be the same sorta front leaflet as service 7. since new timetable for service 24 came out on 17th may, maybe Arriva should of put it off until service 24 became Sapphire, no harm in running the 24X to Easington village for a couple of weeks even though it wont go light to sunderland to do the x21 back. saying this Arriva service 23 is still a boring leaflet and nothing exciting lol.

(28 May 2015, 1:44 pm)Stewy wrote I know what you mean, I'm on service 2 town to branksome and just seen 2 sapphire buses going down woodland road (Not in Service) in order to get to the A1m so they don't have to sit in traffic trying to get up north road, 

I really hope that this is wrong
.jpg image.jpg
(28 May 2015, 1:44 pm)Stewy wrote I know what you mean, I'm on service 2 town to branksome and just seen 2 sapphire buses going down woodland road (Not in Service) in order to get to the A1m so they don't have to sit in traffic trying to get up north road, 
On the stretch between Coatham Mundeville and Harrowgate Hill they spent over a year sorting the side of the road out, then when that was done they resurfaced the road, then the pipes needed doing so had to dig up the road then resurface it again, then they decided to dig it up again to put new streetlights in so more digging up and more temporary lights and more resurfacing and still temporary lights.

See why I am so annoyed everytime roadworks happen on the A167 in Darlington.
(28 May 2015, 12:20 pm)mb134 wrote Just passed 1773 running 29 minutes late on an X14, what's going on with this service?! 

Saw this on Arriva's Facebook yesterday which is likely to be a cause of the problem:

SERVICE UPDATE: X14 Severe delays on A697 due to roadworks and convoy system near Longhorsley affecting timetable
(28 May 2015, 2:31 pm)Jimmi wrote Saw this on Arriva's Facebook yesterday which is likely to be a cause of the problem:

SERVICE UPDATE: X14 Severe delays on A697 due to roadworks and convoy system near Longhorsley affecting timetable

Shouldn't affect the short X14's though.

Something needs to be done with the 33/57a/X14 as they are so unreliable.
(28 May 2015, 5:27 pm)Robert wrote Something needs its destinations updating: https://www.flickr.com/photos/nebp2/1820...ateposted/

X2 is still in all the destination lists of Stockton/Redcar/Whitby and Durham/Darlington - likely the same driver who was driving when Dan photo'd it in Gateshead heading South with 'Middlesbrough X12' up
(28 May 2015, 5:34 pm)Kuyoyo wrote X2 is still in all the destination lists of Stockton/Redcar/Whitby and Durham/Darlington - likely the same driver who was driving when Dan photo'd it in Gateshead heading South with 'Middlesbrough X12' up

For some reason 4814 has X2 Newcastle in with the X21 destinations 
Site Administrator
(28 May 2015, 5:34 pm)Kuyoyo wrote X2 is still in all the destination lists of Stockton/Redcar/Whitby and Durham/Darlington - likely the same driver who was driving when Dan photo'd it in Gateshead heading South with 'Middlesbrough X12' up

Looking at the frontal shot, does seem to be the same driver. I'm pretty sure the driver I saw had super-cool shades on, too, at least! Tongue 

Had noticed the use of the wrong destination display.
(28 May 2015, 5:43 pm)Dan wrote Looking at the frontal shot, does seem to be the same driver. I'm pretty sure the driver I saw had super-cool shades on, too, at least! Tongue 

Had noticed the use of the wrong destination display.

Judging by the time you posted a picture and the fact the other photo must have been taken sometime around 1545 as there is a photo on their Photostream of a B9TL on the 265 it probably would have been the same driver.