You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: 2015/16 Financial Year Order Predictions

RE: Go North East: 2015/16 Financial Year Order Predictions
There's room for traditional brands as well as new ones. They've brought back the Black Cats (with a better and more relevant livery than before). Red Kite, a great brand, was kept, as was Toonlink, again with an improved livery, whereas the the rather meaningless Lime name was updated. X21 is more than a fast bus to Durham as it serves Bishop Auckland, the OK area, where it has a relevance to many people. I still think non branded red vehicles should be called Northern, much more dynamic, and that's the name it's known by most passengers. Go North East sounds like a tourist board or an organisation to promote the regional economy.
(02 Jun 2015, 12:17 pm)Andreos1 wrote To sound like Mr Bowyer - will the engines be powerful enough?
The B7's struggle up Houghton Cut as it is and almost end up going backwards, particularly if using the stop on the slip road.
A handful of the purple Solars struggle too. I passed one once recently and the driver was sitting like a jockey, trying to give it some oomph!

Imagining that now haha 

I agree, the solars are starting to struggle on the 20/20A and it hasn't helped since it was extended to South Shields.

Hopefully an investment for the 20/20A this year.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(02 Jun 2015, 12:18 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote There's room for traditional brands as well as new ones. They've brought back the Black Cats (with a better and more relevant livery than before). Red Kite, a great brand, was kept, as was Toonlink, again with an improved livery, whereas the the rather meaningless Lime name was updated. X21 is more than a fast bus to Durham as it serves Bishop Auckland, the OK area, where it has a relevance to many people. I still think non branded red vehicles should be called Northern, much more dynamic, and that's the name it's known by most passengers. Go North East sounds like a tourist board or an organisation to promote the regional economy.

Let's also not forget that they are still keeping the OK name going with 'The OK Way' on service 18 in the Bishop Auckland area so I think if the OK name was incorporated into a brand for the X21 it may potentially help additionally boost the profile of service 18.
Or, for the unbranded buses, use Northernbus" as Go Ahead have for their East Anglian companies like Konectbus and Anglianbus (I'm surprised they haven't dropped the silly Konect name and called them all Anglianbus as they share management and their operating areas overlap.)
(02 Jun 2015, 12:18 pm)Greg in Weardale wrote There's room for traditional brands as well as new ones. They've brought back the Black Cats (with a better and more relevant livery than before). Red Kite, a great brand, was kept, as was Toonlink, again with an improved livery, whereas the the rather meaningless Lime name was updated. X21 is more than a fast bus to Durham as it serves Bishop Auckland, the OK area, where it has a relevance to many people. I still think non branded red vehicles should be called Northern, much more dynamic, and that's the name it's known by most passengers. Go North East sounds like a tourist board or an organisation to promote the regional economy.

The Blaydon racers look much better on the citaro's than the ones on the yellow back ground of the B10's.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(02 Jun 2015, 12:17 pm)Andreos1 wrote To sound like Mr Bowyer - will the engines be powerful enough?
The B7's struggle up Houghton Cut as it is and almost end up going backwards, particularly if using the stop on the slip road.
A handful of the purple Solars struggle too. I passed one once recently and the driver was sitting like a jockey, trying to give it some oomph!

I can answer for the Streetdeck - it has plenty of power. Compared to the B9TL, the Streetdeck is forever chopping at the bit when stationary whereas the B9TL is quiet.
(02 Jun 2015, 12:44 pm)Kuyoyo wrote I can answer for the Streetdeck - it has plenty of power. Compared to the B9TL, the Streetdeck is forever chopping at the bit when stationary whereas the B9TL is quiet.

Aye when stationary! Read a review on the Streetdeck on the Transdev 36 and both that and the B5 didn't have an inch on the E400MMC. If the E400MMC gets into the right hands, it would be a cracking bus even with the integral and not the Scania unit though. That being said, I think that GNE would get a good deal on the Scania chassis after the parts trouble at Stanley a few year back but the Integral would deliver a considerable fuel saving.
(02 Jun 2015, 4:14 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Aye when stationary! Read a review on the Streetdeck on the Transdev 36 and both that and the B5 didn't have an inch on the E400MMC. If the E400MMC gets into the right hands, it would be a cracking bus even with the integral and not the Scania unit though. That being said, I think that GNE would get a good deal on the Scania chassis after the parts trouble at Stanley a few year back but the Integral would deliver a considerable fuel saving.

I've been on a Streetdeck - it's chopping at the bit all the time but its more noticeable when stationary.
(02 Jun 2015, 4:19 pm)Kuyoyo wrote I've been on a Streetdeck - it's chopping at the bit all the time but its more noticeable when stationary.

The Cummins unit in the E400MMC is far superior coupled up with the ZF Ecolife, ADL Chassis and E400MMC body compared to the Daimler unit. If GNE tried a Streetdeck either on the TEN or the Red Arrows, this is what would happen:

TEN: Struggle between Hexham and Prudhoe, Struggle with Stonyflat Bank, struggle with pace on the A695 between Blaydon and the Handy Drive roundabout, would struggle picking up pace on the A184 climb after Dunston on the approach to the Redheugh Bridge

Red Arrows: Would crawl up Old Durham Road, struggle to pick up pace through Springwell, would strugfle to pick up pace on the Washy Highway, would struggle om slip roads on the Washy Highway towards Newcastle
(02 Jun 2015, 4:51 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote TEN: Struggle between Hexham and Prudhoe, Struggle with Stonyflat Bank, struggle with pace on the A695 between Blaydon and the Handy Drive roundabout, would struggle picking up pace on the A184 climb after Dunston on the approach to the Redheugh Bridge

Red Arrows: Would crawl up Old Durham Road, struggle to pick up pace through Springwell, would strugfle to pick up pace on the Washy Highway, would struggle om slip roads on the Washy Highway towards Newcastle

More like that's what could happen as opposed to what would happen. Go North East have not trialled a Streetdeck on the TEN or Red Arrows services so how could anybody say what will happen if they are the best option?
(02 Jun 2015, 4:51 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote The Cummins unit in the E400MMC is far superior coupled up with the ZF Ecolife, ADL Chassis and E400MMC body compared to the Daimler unit. If GNE tried a Streetdeck either on the TEN or the Red Arrows, this is what would happen:

TEN: Struggle between Hexham and Prudhoe, Struggle with Stonyflat Bank, struggle with pace on the A695 between Blaydon and the Handy Drive roundabout, would struggle picking up pace on the A184 climb after Dunston on the approach to the Redheugh Bridge

There's nothing wrong with 6001-6007 & 6049 - 6055, although I agree the B7TLs struggle I cannot say the same for the B9s
(02 Jun 2015, 5:02 pm)Davie wrote There's nothing wrong with 6001-6007 & 6049 - 6055, although I agree the B7TLs struggle I cannot say the same for the B9s

Wasn't on about the B9's, I was on about what would happen of the Streetdeck was tried on them 2 routes. The B9's are perfect.
(02 Jun 2015, 6:04 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Wasn't on about the B9's, I was on about what would happen of the Streetdeck was tried on them 2 routes. The B9's are perfect.

Ah right, sorry Davey. Yes I agree the B9s are perfect
(02 Jun 2015, 6:04 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Wasn't on about the B9's, I was on about what would happen of the Streetdeck was tried on them 2 routes. The B9's are perfect.

Davey, if you know for sure what you describe will happen, you'd be worth a lot of money to the bus industry. It'd certainly save them a lot of time and effort in arranging demonstrators. 

In all seriousness though. I've used the Streetdecks on the 12 in Brighton, and I like them. They seem to still have a lot of kick and power about them. They're also smart looking buses. Inside and out. 
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(02 Jun 2015, 8:48 am)Simmy wrote I reckon that the 'Prince Bishops' set of services will receive new vehicles within the next 2 years. Possibly deckers due to peak time loadings or failing that single decks (Streetlites?).

Id go for 10 Volvo B5LH Wright Gemini 3s and 10 Wright Streetlite Micro Hybrids for the Prince Bishops.

And can I have some Wright Streetlite Micro Hybrids in "Silver Arrows" Livery on the 2/2A please, quite enjoyed my journey on 5374 this morning and they a damn sight than those bloody Versas I can safely say.
(02 Jun 2015, 7:33 pm)Malarkey wrote Id go for 10 Volvo B5LH Wright Gemini 3s and 10 Wright Streetlite Micro Hybrids for the Prince Bishops.

And can I have some Wright Streetlite Micro Hybrids in "Silver Arrows" Livery on the 2/2A please, quite enjoyed my journey on 5374 this morning and they a damn sight than those bloody Versas I can safely say.

I do admire the Versas and their fast acceleration but sometimes when they do a fast turn around a corner there is a sudden loud scraping noise coming from around the wheels. It doesn't happen on any other buses accept for the Versas, and it really annoys me.
Site Administrator
(02 Jun 2015, 7:33 pm)Malarkey wrote Id go for 10 Volvo B5LH Wright Gemini 3s and 10 Wright Streetlite Micro Hybrids for the Prince Bishops.

Split allocations are a no-no, where it can be avoided.

It makes route costings more complicated, and it's difficult to match vehicle type to the busiest journeys on such a long route like the 20/20A services because the busiest time out of Durham is also the busiest time out of Sunderland (in both directions), and the buses can't be in the same places at once.

Go North East learned their lesson with the X1 service, when they only upgraded half of the allocation to double-deck capacity. Other operators in the area are yet to adapt.

you should of been on the VR's going up Houghton cut  on service 220 in the 80's-90's fully laden of passengers Tongue

(02 Jun 2015, 7:48 pm)cbma06 wrote you should of been on the VR's going up Houghton cut  on service 220 in the 80's-90's fully laden of passengers Tongue

Spent many an hour on a VR, but never up Houghton Cut.

Good or bad?
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
The Scania deckers if the are in good nick... would of been ideal for the X21... even better if they were painted OK Expressway.
I don't think that GNE will got for any Wright deckers. I think that the Optare MetroDecker would be a strong possibility due to the very lightweiight body which would help with power but otherwise, I'm hedging my bet on the E400MMC.
(02 Jun 2015, 8:26 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote I don't think that GNE will got for any Wright deckers. I think that the Optare MetroDecker would be a strong possibility due to the very lightweiight body which would help with power but otherwise, I'm hedging my bet on the E400MMC.

Why not.  GNE have long bought Wright deckers and other Go Ahead companies are buying Streetdecks (Brighton and Oxford)
(02 Jun 2015, 8:26 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote I don't think that GNE will got for any Wright deckers. I think that the Optare MetroDecker would be a strong possibility due to the very lightweiight body which would help with power but otherwise, I'm hedging my bet on the E400MMC.

As youve said 1 billion times already...  Tongue
(02 Jun 2015, 8:30 pm)Robert wrote As youve said 1 billion times already...  Tongue

1.1 billion actually  Wink  
Here is a thought...not been mentioned on here before, do you reckon GNE will go for E400MMC.

If they do of course, I wonder what will happen with 6001 - 6007....
(02 Jun 2015, 8:08 pm)pdiddy wrote The Scania deckers if the are in good nick... would of been ideal for the X21... even better if they were painted OK Expressway.

They would of, maybe if we get some more later/next year, they might go on the X21 but sadly they are sticking to the B7's.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(02 Jun 2015, 8:33 pm)citaro5284 wrote Here is a thought...not been mentioned on here before, do you reckon GNE will go for E400MMC.

If they do of course, I wonder what will happen with 6001 - 6007....

Please Citaro, dont put the bait out...  Angel
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(02 Jun 2015, 7:58 pm)Andreos1 wrote Spent many an hour on a VR, but never up Houghton Cut.

Good or bad?

you could of walked alongside the bus going up the cut lol, but soon as it got other the brow of the cut the VR was away.

(02 Jun 2015, 8:48 pm)cbma06 wrote you could of walked alongside the bus going up the cut lol, but soon as it got other the brow of the cut the VR was away.

I was in two minds about what it would have been like, but your description sounds about right!
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(02 Jun 2015, 9:13 pm)Andreos1 wrote I was in two minds about what it would have been like, but your description sounds about right!

The VR could get a good run start going up the slip road up the cut, but if it had to stop at the bus stop on the cut, it was a bugger to start from a standing start and trying to get the bus up to any sort of speed.