You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(29 Aug 2013, 6:53 pm)Daniel wrote I agree. Similar posts have appeared frequently over the past few weeks, and I think we should start to think before we post.
Living in Sunderland, I would love to see direct services between Sunderland and everywhere currently served in the Go North East network by other services, but it will never happen. I think others contributing to this thread may be thinking about what they'd like to see without considering whether the services would actually be justifiable.
I'm surprised we haven't seen a service suggestion for a direct service from Fencehouses to Darlington or Fencehouses to Morpeth yet! Wink
I love the suggestions we've had that have considered availability of vehicles (or upcoming availability of vehicles - think of all the new buses coming to the fleet soon and the movements that will come of these vehicles) or the suggestions that have included rough timetables, PVRs etc. It shows that some thought has gone into the suggestion, rather than just a quick post with the suggestion.

I agree there some ridiculous ideas, a few i'll admit by myself personally, but unlike others I don't go Bish Bash Bosh Wheyhey New Route Done, I'll post and see what people think.

I'll go through Timetables Old and New on Simplygo.com or if I have a paper copy I'll use that, or i'll go on the NEB Bygone Era to find what i'm looking for before planning out a suggestion. Take my Q3 suggestion for example I spent few days working on that idea, trying to find the best way for it to work along with other ideas I have came up with over the past few months. And some like the Q3 get a good reaction from other members, whereas others not so much and may need a little tinkering from other members to find the best outcome.

Overall I think this is a great thread, even if it is pretty much all fantasy, but there some cracking suggestions pop up here and there by users of this forum. And i'm certainly going to keep on trying to come up with new ideas even if there not that good or need work on them.
(29 Aug 2013, 7:41 pm)aureolin wrote I think Sharon Hodgson might actually be successful with her 'Metro into Washington' campaign before that happens. Big Grin

Wait until Fencehouses forms the North East hub for HS2!
Ms Hodgsons metro project will pale into insignificance, no matter how many column inches she gets in the Washington Star Cool
(29 Aug 2013, 8:29 pm)Andreos1 wrote Wait until Fencehouses forms the North East hub for HS2!
Ms Hodgsons metro project will pale into insignificance, no matter how many column inches she gets in the Washington Star Cool

Which nobody reads anyway as you have to pay for it now, thinks it like 30p or something
(29 Aug 2013, 6:24 pm)CatsFast101 wrote And this was at the time when GNE took away direct links to increase Buzzfare sales and frequent services I'm almost certain.

I believe GNE have gone a bit too far in their obsession with having high frequency routes on a relatively small number of services. It is, of course, impractical to ever think that you'll have a direct link to anywhere in the North East from a certain location, but there's a pretty high number of direct links that have been lost in recent years which passengers would have found useful. Not everyone travels between points on the high frequency routes.
Marxista Fozzski
Re: RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
(29 Aug 2013, 8:13 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote I agree there some ridiculous ideas, a few i'll admit by myself personally, but unlike others I don't go Bish Bash Bosh Wheyhey New Route Done, I'll post and see what people think.

I'll go through Timetables Old and New on Simplygo.com or if I have a paper copy I'll use that, or i'll go on the NEB Bygone Era to find what i'm looking for before planning out a suggestion. Take my Q3 suggestion for example I spent few days working on that idea, trying to find the best way for it to work along with other ideas I have came up with over the past few months. And some like the Q3 get a good reaction from other members, whereas others not so much and may need a little tinkering from other members to find the best outcome.

Overall I think this is a great thread, even if it is pretty much all fantasy, but there some cracking suggestions pop up here and there by users of this forum. And i'm certainly going to keep on trying to come up with new ideas even if there not that good or need work on them.

One thing I can say about you Adam, you are enthusiastic, and you come across as enjoying putting thought into your suggestions even if they do seem to go into fantasy land at times, you come up with some decent ideas

(29 Aug 2013, 8:29 pm)Andreos1 wrote Wait until Fencehouses forms the North East hub for HS2!

Wonder what the NIMBYS of Fencehouses will say to HS2 Big Grin

(29 Aug 2013, 9:01 pm)big mac wrote I believe GNE have gone a bit too far in their obsession with having high frequency routes on a relatively small number of services. It is, of course, impractical to ever think that you'll have a direct link to anywhere in the North East from a certain location, but there's a pretty high number of direct links that have been lost in recent years which passengers would have found useful. Not everyone travels between points on the high frequency routes.

Could links not be created/reinstated by merging services, take the 61 for example on Sundays it interworks with 2A/C would it not be pratical to take those 2 services and create a Murton-Washington service, people may not use it for the whole route, but people would still use it between Murton and Park Lane and Park Lane and Galleries, and was wondering if services could be merged along these lines
(29 Aug 2013, 9:01 pm)big mac wrote I believe GNE have gone a bit too far in their obsession with having high frequency routes on a relatively small number of services. It is, of course, impractical to ever think that you'll have a direct link to anywhere in the North East from a certain location, but there's a pretty high number of direct links that have been lost in recent years which passengers would have found useful. Not everyone travels between points on the high frequency routes.

I agree. Personally, I agree that some routes were made better for some and worse for others.

For example, the 'new' 27 upped the buses to 6 per hour from 4 between South Shields and Jarrow and Hebburn College and Newcastle. It also upped buses from 2 to 6 per hour from Campbell Park Road and Monkton Lane Estate, as well as providing a faster link to Newcastle than the 87.

However, anyone travelling on the old 27A route (eg. Hebburn Quay, Victoria Road) lost their direct link to Gateshead and Newcastle and went from 2 buses per hour (27A) to 1 bus per hour (515 Heworth/Jarrow only), and it's taken until a few months ago to restore the link to Newcastle on some of the old 27A route with the new 27X.
It is when routes are made better at the expense of others which annoys me the most.

There is the example of the 27/27a and X2 mentioned on the forum as well as countless others.

Maybe it could be argued the 27a wasn't profitable enough. But rather than axe it and send the vehicles onto another route, work out some sort of compromise and offer an alternative - even if it is half as good or frequent.

The X2 was obviously generating enough demand, because services still fulfil the sections of route left behind when GNE wanted to send the vehicles elsewhere.

Or, they just fancied increasing buzzfare sales...

There are countless other examples and as pointed out, these core routes don't always go where people want to go.

As for the route suggestions comments/complaints, if people don't like them or appreciate them, then as with other areas, there is no-one making them join in.
They create conversation, they generate a smile - whether someone cobbles something together off the top of their head, comes up with a totally un-realistic suggestion or spends time investigating the PVR, so what, let people get on with it and put forward their ideas for discussion.
If they think a route would work, expand, question, discuss, justify and explain.
Isn't that what a forum is for - to discuss?
Marxista Fozzski
As for the route suggestions comments/complaints, if people don't like them or appreciate them, then as with other areas, there is no-one making them join in.
They create conversation, they generate a smile - whether someone cobbles something together off the top of their head, comes up with a totally un-realistic suggestion or spends time investigating the PVR, so what, let people get on with it and put forward their ideas for discussion.
If they think a route would work, expand, question, discuss, justify and explain.
Isn't that what a forum is for - to discuss?

:clap:
here here
Just seen this comment on GNE's Facebook, Angela Greenwell - i still think you need some express services to the coast from either Gateshead or Chester-le-street,(especially in summer hols) both services take way over an hour at the moment. Also the Coaster service would almost take 2 hours from my house to get to Whitley Bay

I agree with what this person has said with regards to an Express Service from Gateshead to the Coast, but from Chester le Street i'm not to sure. Thing is as well this person could quite easily get the Metro from Gateshead to Monument, then Monument to the Coast in a 1/4 of the time it would take the 1 to do so. What does everyone else think.
If you did put on an express service to the coast you would be competing with a Metro service running every 12 mins. CLS has service 50 every 30 mins to Shields taking an hour. Connections are available to Whitley Bay and Tynemouth via Newcastle and they also have a direct service to Sunderland. I don't see a market for them.
There may be a market for a service from Newcastle/Sunderland to Whitby and Scarborough in the summer months, something Arriva have sadly neglected!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(30 Aug 2013, 4:56 pm)tyresmoke wrote If you did put on an express service to the coast you would be competing with a Metro service running every 12 mins. CLS has service 50 every 30 mins to Shields taking an hour. Connections are available to Whitley Bay and Tynemouth via Newcastle and they also have a direct service to Sunderland. I don't see a market for them.
There may be a market for a service from Newcastle/Sunderland to Whitby and Scarborough in the summer months, something Arriva have sadly neglected!

Although there is competition from the Metro, That might be a cheaper option for some passengers, and some may prefer the Bus over Metro but I think it could work by following this route - Whitley Bay – Marsden – Tynemouth – North Shields - Meadow Well - West Chirton - Cobalt - Battle Hill Drive - High Farm - Coast Road - Newcastle - Gateshead, obviously it wouldn't serve every single stop as it would be a limited stopping service. This merely a guideline. So basically it would do the 1 between Whitley Bay and North Shields, then an Express 310 to Newcastle then continue onto Gateshead.
(30 Aug 2013, 5:49 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Although there is competition from the Metro, That might be a cheaper option for some passengers, and some may prefer the Bus over Metro but I think it could work by following this route - Whitley Bay – Marsden – Tynemouth – North Shields - Meadow Well - West Chirton - Cobalt - Battle Hill Drive - High Farm - Coast Road - Newcastle - Gateshead, obviously it wouldn't serve every single stop as it would be a limited stopping service. This merely a guideline. So basically it would do the 1 between Whitley Bay and North Shields, then an Express 310 to Newcastle then continue onto Gateshead.

As well as the coastal services, that's also an argument for improving the express services between Newcastle and Sunderland.
(30 Aug 2013, 5:53 pm)big mac wrote As well as the coastal services, that's also an argument for improving the express services between Newcastle and Sunderland.

Thing is now as much as I and others would like to see the X2 brought back, is there enough demand between Newcastle and Sunderland for another Express Service, because I don't think the X3/X36 have been that successful.
(30 Aug 2013, 5:59 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Thing is now as much as I and others would like to see the X2 brought back, is there enough demand between Newcastle and Sunderland for another Express Service, because I don't think the X3/X36 have been that successful.

I got on the X36 the other day coming from Newcastle and it was busy until it go to Empire then their was only a few people on becasue most of them got off at the Wheatchef.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(30 Aug 2013, 5:59 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Thing is now as much as I and others would like to see the X2 brought back, is there enough demand between Newcastle and Sunderland for another Express Service, because I don't think the X3/X36 have been that successful.

Possibly not. When the X2 ran even though it's patronage was consistently good, I don't think the number of people doing the whole journey ie. Newcastle-Sunderland or vice-versa was particularly high.

The X36 does seem to be more popular overall than the X3.
The comments on not running a service to the coast because it would be competing with the metro and the X3 are interesting.

The X3 also competes with the metro and hasn't worked.

Mind, saying that not one single service between Newcastle and Sunderland via The Boldons and Newcastle Road has worked (or lasted)- before the Metro was extended or since...
Newcastle and Gateshead had a link to Scarborough, the X60.

Never a soul on it
Although it'll probably not happen, I do think that more services should compete with the Metro as express services. It's all good and well the big three saying that Nexus are introducing QCS to "plug a gap" in the funding for Metro, but when the push comes to the shove, they all run scared of it.

It would be interesting to know how many people actually use a bus/metro combination because it's more efficient, despite already having a commercial daily/weekly/monthly/season ticket with an operator. I know I do quite often. If it's as high as I think it may be, it's probably about time the operators start repaying that loyalty.

I considered explaining why that should be, but the advert on the side of this bus puts the message across better than I could.

[Image: 578073_319289044840900_370611877_n.jpg]
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
New service ideas with regards to the express to the coast idea. The changes would involve services 58, 309 and 310.

- Service 58 will now operate every 15 minutes Monday to Saturday Daytime. Evening and Sunday buses will operate every 30 minutes. Buses will no longer continue beyond Newcastle to Hadrian Park. Buses will turn around at Pilgrim Street.

- NEW Service 58A (Monday - Saturday Daytime every 30 minutes / Evenings and Sundays every 60 minutes) serving: The current 58 route between Heworth Metro and Pilgrim Street. Buses will then call at Blackett Street and St Mary's Place. Buses will then operate limited stop to Billy Mill. Buses will stop at Willington Square, Silverlink and Norham Road / Formica. From Billy Mill, buses will serve QA 6th Form - Preston Road - North Shields Metro - Bedford Street - Howard Street - Linkskill Terrace - Mannor Road - Percy Park Road - Grand Parade - Beach Road - Marden Estate - Broadway - Whitley Bay Town Centre.

- NEW Service 58B (Monday - Saturday Daytime every 30 minutes / Evenings and Sundays every 60 minutes) serving: The current 58 route between Heworth Metro and Pilgrim Street. Buses will then call at Blackett Street and St Mary's Place. Buses will then operate limited stop to Billy Mill. Buses will stop at St Peter's, Willington Square and Norham Road / Formica. Buses will then serve the current Arriva 308 route between Billy Mill and South Beach. From there, buses will serve the GNE 309 route between South Beach Roundabout and Blyth Bus Station.

- Service 305 (Monday - Saturday Daytime every 20 minutes / Evenings every 60 minutes and Sunday Daytime every 30 minutes) serving: Hadrian Park then the current 310 route to Haymarket Bus Station.

- Service 309 (Monday - Saturday Daytime every 10 minutes to Whitley Bay and 30 minutes to Blyth / Evenings every 30 minutes to Whitley Bay and 60 minutes to Blyth / Sunday Daytime every 30 minutes to Blyth) serving: The current 309 route between Newcastle and Whitley Bay / Blyth.

- Service 310 (Monday - Saturday Daytime every 20 minutes / Evenings every 60 minutes and Sunday Daytime every 30 minutes) serving: The current 310 route between North Shields and Newcastle. Evening buses will also serve Hadrian Park.
Marxista Fozzski
Would it be worth ever extending the 9 to Tynemouth, Cullercoats and Whitley Bay, it would be quicker on bus from Sunderland than the metro, as we need to change at Pelaw, Monument or South Gosforth.

As for runs down to Whitby and Scarbados, I dont know if that would work, as far as I am aware Arriva have a decent service from Boro already, and I couldnt see a Sunderland or Newcastle service taking off, it would be a service I would use as I like Whitby and it would have to get me there within 2hrs30. So I probably have my head in the clouds right now, but this is how I could see a run down Whitby

New X6 Sunderland-Peterlee-Billingham-Middlesbrough-Whitby...Extension of WTX Brand

New X11 Newcastle-Gateshead-Heworth-Dalton Park-Stockton-Middlesbrough-Whitby...Extension of TTX Brand

Run it through Summer, 1 return journey each during the week, 1 return journey on Sundays/Bank Holidays and 3 Return Journies on a Saturday...

And have it strictly limited stop, stopping nowhere else, and it may end up being one those ideas that could suprise people if it was marketed and publicised well enough
I have used the X3 quite a few times and it's hasn't been that busy tbh, minus one occasion 2 weeks ago when I got on it in Park Lane and did the full length to Eldon Square, and it was packed, even worse it was a bone breaking SPD. Although it takes an Hour, It felt like forever, especially to Boldon. I generally think it goes around the world before it actually gets anywhere, same with the X36 although I have never been on it, minus a short journey between Gateshead and Heworth.

For me I don't think running an Express from Sunderland via Boldon to Newcastle really works all that well tbh, although saying that if GNE were to move the stands on the X3/X36 so that were together along with the 56 in Park Lane, I think it maybe more successful. Whereas the likes of old X2/X4 and X85 were successful. If look at the current X3/X36 Timetables then go on the Bygone Era and look at the X2/X4 and X85, you'll find that they were quicker by a good couple of minutes.

Now I've looked on the Bygone Era and I found this http://northeastbuses.co.uk/archive/GoNo...il1967.pdf - Now this is from 1967 I know, but its a good example I think, back then there was an Express Service between Sunderland and Newcastle, and it took only 32 Minutes to go from A to B which is quite astonishing in my opinion as it takes an Hour from A to B on the X3/X36, Which is double the time. So in reality is the X3/X36 really an Express Service or is just a Normal Stopping Service with an "X" infront of the Number to make passengers think it's a fast link.
(31 Aug 2013, 1:48 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote I have used the X3 quite a few times and it's hasn't been that busy tbh, minus one occasion 2 weeks ago when I got on it in Park Lane and did the full length to Eldon Square, and it was packed, even worse it was a bone breaking SPD. Although it takes an Hour, It felt like forever, especially to Boldon. I generally think it goes around the world before it actually gets anywhere, same with the X36 although I have never been on it, minus a short journey between Gateshead and Heworth.

For me I don't think running an Express from Sunderland via Boldon to Newcastle really works all that well tbh, although saying that if GNE were to move the stands on the X3/X36 so that were together along with the 56 in Park Lane, I think it maybe more successful. Whereas the likes of old X2/X4 and X85 were successful. If look at the current X3/X36 Timetables then go on the Bygone Era and look at the X2/X4 and X85, you'll find that they were quicker by a good couple of minutes.

Now I've looked on the Bygone Era and I found this http://northeastbuses.co.uk/archive/GoNo...il1967.pdf - Now this is from 1967 I know, but its a good example I think, back then there was an Express Service between Sunderland and Newcastle, and it took only 32 Minutes to go from A to B which is quite astonishing in my opinion as it takes an Hour from A to B on the X3/X36, Which is double the time. So in reality is the X3/X36 really an Express Service or is just a Normal Stopping Service with an "X" infront of the Number to make passengers think it's a fast link.

I found that timetable amongst my old bus timetable collection and sent it to northeastbus. There were a lot less traffic in those days. example, the old X6 Sunderland to Consett took an hour in the olden days but in the 80's the X6 Sunderland to Langley Park took 1 hour also.

In the 80's-90's I used to get the X95 regularly from Grindon Mill to Newcastle as it only took just over 30 minutes between the 2 points stopping only at Hastings Hill, Concord then Gateshead Interchange.

(31 Aug 2013, 1:56 pm)cbma06 wrote I found that timetable amongst my old bus timetable collection and sent it to northeastbus. There were a lot less traffic in those days. example, the old X6 Sunderland to Consett took an hour in the olden days but in the 80's the X6 Sunderland to Langley Park took 1 hour also.

In the 80's-90's I used to get the X95 regularly from Grindon Mill to Newcastle as it only took just over 30 minutes between the 2 points stopping only at Hastings Hill, Concord then Gateshead Interchange.

And a great find it was, thanks for sharing cmba06

I think the re-introduction of the X2 between Newcastle and Sunderland would be great, then I would re-route the 8 so it goes Waterview Park - Sunderland Enterprise Park - Queen Alexandra Bridge - Sunderland Interchange heading in/out of Sunderland. That would then bring back the link of the old X4 between Washington and Sunderland.

As for a Coastal service to Sunderland I think that is a good idea, here is my view on it

7 - Whitley Bay - Marsden - Tynemouth - North Shields - Royal Quays - Tyne Tunnel - Jarrow - Tyne Dock - Chichester - South Shields - Horsley Hill - Whitburn - Seaburn - Roker - Sunderland Interchange

Whitley Bay to North Shields - 22 Minutes
North Shields to Jarrow - 17 Minutes
Jarrow to South Shields - 17 Minutes
South Shields to Sunderland - 48 Minutes

Total Journey Time = 104 Minutes
Could be less if it was limited stopping between certain stops i.e. Jarrow and South Shields and South Shields and Sunderland, I reckon it could take a minimum of 80 Minutes.

Can anyone think of any other ways to make it quicker than what it is.

Edit

7 - Sunderland - Fulwell - Boldon - Hedworth - York Avenue - Jarrow - Tyne Tunnel - Percy Main - Royal Quays - North Shields - Tynemouth - Marsden - Whitley Bay

This would only take 82 Minutes, but could be shortened if it was limited stopping
(31 Aug 2013, 3:50 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote As for a Coastal service to Sunderland I think that is a good idea, here is my view on it

7 - Whitley Bay - Marsden - Tynemouth - North Shields - Royal Quays - Tyne Tunnel - Jarrow - Tyne Dock - Chichester - South Shields - Horsley Hill - Whitburn - Seaburn - Roker - Sunderland Interchange

Could be less if it was limited stopping between certain stops i.e. Jarrow and South Shields and South Shields and Sunderland, I reckon it could take a minimum of 80 Minutes.

Edit

7 - Sunderland - Fulwell - Boldon - Hedworth - York Avenue - Jarrow - Tyne Tunnel - Percy Main - Royal Quays - North Shields - Tynemouth - Marsden - Whitley Bay

This would only take 82 Minutes, but could be shortened if it was limited stopping

no one will want to sit on a bus for that long, when they could easily get either the metro or the ferry, or even potentially metro and then another bus service
Wasn't there a service from Sunderland - Blyth via Whitley Bay and Sunderland - Killingworth bus too?

Doubt anyone would have travelled the full route, apart from the odd exception - they just provide a continuous link between communities, like the 638 did.
(01 Sep 2013, 10:45 am)Andreos1 wrote Wasn't there a service from Sunderland - Blyth via Whitley Bay and Sunderland - Killingworth bus too?

Doubt anyone would have travelled the full route, apart from the odd exception - they just provide a continuous link between communities, like the 638 did.

The 310/319 used to do that, didn't they? One went to Blyth, one went to Cramlington.
(01 Sep 2013, 10:47 am)big mac wrote The 310/319 used to do that, didn't they? One went to Blyth, one went to Cramlington.

That's the ones!
Marxista Fozzski
(31 Aug 2013, 3:50 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote And a great find it was, thanks for sharing cmba06

I think the re-introduction of the X2 between Newcastle and Sunderland would be great, then I would re-route the 8 so it goes Waterview Park - Sunderland Enterprise Park - Queen Alexandra Bridge - Sunderland Interchange heading in/out of Sunderland. That would then bring back the link of the old X4 between Washington and Sunderland.

As for a Coastal service to Sunderland I think that is a good idea, here is my view on it

Edit

Jesus H. Christ, that would take forever...Still I do like the idea of Coastal Routes, thinking of your epic idea could it happen where GNE and Nexus introduce integrated ticketing on the Shields Ferry,

So with your idea in mind, I though about Sunderland-Whitley Ba, Seaton Sluice or Blyth

My idea would see it go from Sunderland straight down the Coast, picking up only at Roker Sea Front, Seaburn Morrisions-Whitburn, South Shields Ferry, Passengers then Transfer to Ferry to North Shields then jump back on a bus at NS upto Whitley Bay, maybe be an open top bus during the better days of summer