You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Bus Memories
I'm cringing writing this, but having just made a post in the Bygone Era about seeing an Alexander Strider as a young boy, I've just remembered my logic for bus types...

Wright Renown - ''Consett buses'' - because they were on the 778 service to Consett.
Plaxton Prestige - ''Stanley buses'' - because they were on the 729 service to Stanley.
Optare Delta - ''Moustache buses'' - I thought the front engine grill looked like a moustache.
Dennis Trident (Lolyne) - ''Sad buses'' - to my eyes, the front panel with the lights looked like a sad face.
Dennis Trident (President) - ''Happy buses'' - I thought the front panels made the bus look happy.
Any Arriva bus - ''Durham buses'' - I didn't know Arriva services went to Newcastle.

I thought I may as well just tell you all what my logic was like back as a little boy. Tongue
(07 Aug 2015, 3:17 pm)MurdnunoC wrote Sure do.

29 - Gateshead - Kibblesworth
92 - Gateshead - Queen Elizabeth Hospital
638 - Ryton - Sunderland
639 - Winlaton - Ellen Wilkinson Estate

Also a couple of Works Services probably stopped there on their way to the Valley.

I couldn't really make out the services on the flag.

I guessed they must have been work services, as apart from the numbers you mentioned, I couldn't think of owt else that went along that stretch of Saltwell Road.
I am pretty sure the Chester routes started a few years later.

The amount of yellow on the flag, would indicate more than 4 services - so if the timetable says 4 services, logic dictates the others must have been workers or scholars services of some type.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(11 Aug 2015, 9:38 am)R852 PRG wrote I'm cringing writing this, but having just made a post in the Bygone Era about seeing an Alexander Strider as a young boy, I've just remembered my logic for bus types...

Wright Renown - ''Consett buses'' - because they were on the 778 service to Consett.
Plaxton Prestige - ''Stanley buses'' - because they were on the 729 service to Stanley.
Optare Delta - ''Moustache buses'' - I thought the front engine grill looked like a moustache.
Dennis Trident (Lolyne) - ''Sad buses'' - to my eyes, the front panel with the lights looked like a sad face.
Dennis Trident (President) - ''Happy buses'' - I thought the front panels made the bus look happy.
Any Arriva bus - ''Durham buses'' - I didn't know Arriva services went to Newcastle.

I thought I may as well just tell you all what my logic was like back as a little boy. Tongue

All makes perfect sense Big Grin

And we're biologically programmed to see faces in things, so it's not even odd. I still do the same with cars and it's a looooong time since I was a child.
(11 Aug 2015, 9:38 am)R852 PRG wrote I'm cringing writing this, but having just made a post in the Bygone Era about seeing an Alexander Strider as a young boy, I've just remembered my logic for bus types...

I can't say i had many nicknames for buses. The only one i can think of was the 'Airport DAFs' (4983-4988). Mainly because they saw use at Heathrow before coming up north: 4988 being an example https://flic.kr/p/9jkrBW

My dad did (and still does albeit very rarely) jokingly adopt a theory that every Arriva bus was going Durham. Even if it was down in Manchester or Liverpool. We used to have endless debates on the subject.
(11 Aug 2015, 10:28 am)S813 FVK wrote I can't say i had many nicknames for buses. The only one i can think of was the 'Airport DAFs' (4983-4988). Mainly because they saw use at Heathrow before coming up north: 4988 being an example https://flic.kr/p/9jkrBW

My dad did (and still does albeit very rarely) jokingly adopt a theory that every Arriva bus was going Durham. Even if it was down in Manchester or Liverpool. We used to have endless debates on the subject.

I remember the ''Waggonway'' examples always seemed to have more power in them than the ''Lambton Worm'' DAFs.
(11 Aug 2015, 10:37 am)R852 PRG wrote I remember the ''Waggonway'' examples always seemed to have more power in them than the ''Lambton Worm'' DAFs.

Aye. My dad much preferred driving the FNWs than the ONLs.
(11 Aug 2015, 9:42 am)Andreos1 wrote I guessed they must have been work services, as apart from the numbers you mentioned, I couldn't think of owt else that went along that stretch of Saltwell Road.
I am pretty sure the Chester routes started a few years later.

The amount of yellow on the flag, would indicate more than 4 services - so if the timetable says 4 services, logic dictates the others must have been workers or scholars services of some type.

Depending on when in 1983 the photo was taken, the 301 may have operated along Saltwell Road South too.
(11 Aug 2015, 10:44 am)R852 PRG wrote Where was he based when he worked for Go North East out of interest? I'm guessing Stanley?

Sure was based at Stanley. When the driver split thing came in he chose to do all Stanley routes (78, 43, 44 etc).

The FNW DAFs were on the X30/X31/709/728 for a bit before moving to Chester-le-Street.
He worked at Stanley Travel before Go North East - he used to love it when he was doing the MC1.
(11 Aug 2015, 10:58 am)MurdnunoC wrote Depending on when in 1983 the photo was taken, the 301 may have operated along Saltwell Road South too.

According to my grandma, the celebrations around the event started early in the year. I'd think maybe the photograph was taken in the first few months of 1983 if that was the case?
Marxista Fozzski
My memories going back...Some are not related to buses though

My first memories of buses go back to when I was a toddler and nearly getting killed by a National on the 194 in Easington Lane, you would think that would put me off buses for life, it did not, lol

My first favourite bus was probably the Atlantean(the bus with the funny back end as I called it) and the Leyland National. I don't really remember a great deal before I moved to Murton from Easington Lane, that would have been around the time buses were going through Deregulation.

I took an interest in the very early 1990's(probably about 1991 when the Drivers Strike was taken place)

149: Murton-Seaham-Murton(Go-Ahead Northern and Favourite)...Later Scrapped
152: Peterlee-Easington Village-South Hetton-Easington Lane-Murton-New Seaham-Ryhope-Grangetown-Sunderland(Go-Ahead Northern/Wear Buses)...Become 62, 162 later 202
153: Easington Lane-Murton-Sunderland(Michael Franks Coaches)...Sold to either Go North East or Arriva
154: Durham-Hetton-Murton-Sunderland(Go-Ahead Northern/Wear Buses)...Became 65, now now 265) 
155: Murton Circular(East Moor Estate-Woods Terrace-Sea View Estate-Cornwall Estate-Burnip Road-Barnes Road-Wellfield Road-Station Estate)(Favourite)...Withdrawn all together
X93: Murton Station-New Seaham-Herrington Burn-Washington Galleries-MetroCentre-Newcastle Eldon Square(OK Travel/Go OK Travel)...Withdrawn not log after OK Travel was bought out by Go-Ahead

There was also plenty services out of Seaham that I remember was the X95 and X96 that went from Parkside to Sunderland and Newcastle, can't remember exactly but we had a decent service to Newcastle, even though the X93 ran about 4 times a day, Seaham was easily accessed for people in East Durham if we wanted to get to Newcastle, there was even a daily service to Blackpool from Murton, run by OK Travel...Back in 1991 there was a Go-Ahead/Wear Buses driver called Norman, who was a nasty b*****d he once threatened to chuck me off the bus on Broomside Lane for being noisy and screaming my head off when a bee stung me(I was a little soft shite, lol)

While the drivers strike happened, the services were run by different Independents, I remember Bleanch of Hetton running the 154, Scarlet Band runnng the 220, Michael Franks came in around this time, once the strike was over, the Independents were mainly ran into the ground or withdrew the service they covered during the Strike, Go-Ahead Northern added to the 254 to go against Bleanch, I think the 222 was introduced to get Scarlet Band out the way. I remember the day Go-Ahead Northern introduced localised branding(Wear Buses, Go-Ahead Gateshead, VFM, Coastline, Northern) on Wear Buses first day, I stood on Station Road in Murton for nearly 2 hours on my own to get a glimpse of the livery, boy was I shocked when an Opatre Metrorider Minibus turned up in the 2 tone green and grey colours.

Michael Franks was a great service, the drivers looked like scruffs with scruffy coaches, but they were always pleasent to talk to, and a smoking ban was never introduced on the service, so naturally us smokers would habg round for that 

The 254 was a service that went Durham-Hetton-Murton-Seaham Harbour-Sunderland, The 254 was eventually cut back to go Murton-Sunderland and eventually the number changed to 151 which interworked with the 152 and run on a 10 or 12 minute frequency. Now Dalton Park is well on it's way, I would love to see services expanded to take in Dalton Park once rebuilt 

The services in Murton gradually dwindled to the point where all we have now is the 61 and 202 from Murton itself and the 22 from Dalton Park

Between 1996 an 2001 I was in and out of Care when I was moved no less than 14 times, though a few very short placements took place(1 being 3 days, another being 1 week, another being 3 weeks) and got my first settled placement in 1997 where I stayed from July 1997 till March 2001....

What that has to do with buses...Travelling became my get out, I could think alone, my carers also give me an Explorer most weeks till I left Fram Childrens Home and went all over the place, and being a fan of Alan Robsons Nightowls and Metro Radio...I went all over the see Metro Radio on the Road, Morpeth, Newastle, Hexham, Gateshead, Peterlee, Seaham, Durham, Dalton Park and went on a Nightowls mini break Cruise in 2003 and 2004 to Amsterdam where I also befriended Wayne Tunnicliffe aka Wayne Allen and was good friends with Kenny Dick for years...Alan Robson once got mentioned in dispatches for saving my life when I once took and overdose, that was the the night I realised that world did give a shit about me when Alan Robson sent some some gifts my way on behalf of Metro Radio and The Nightowls, and the love shown to me was incredibly emotional, makes me cry today thinking about it today, despite not taking to Alan, Wayne and Kenny for a long time, if we were in a room together again we would find each other out pretty quick.

Back to buses, so yeah, I would go all over, not only the the places above, but Berwick, Alnwick, Darlington, Bishop Auckland(I lived in High Etherley at the beginning of 2001 for about 6 weeks)

Some of the buses I used during my time in Care was(Will list in order of Childrens Homes)

Middlestone Moor 
I would normally use the 6 and 724, if I was going on home leave from Micky Moor I would get the 215(I think thats what the number was)

Crook
would see me use the X46 and whatever went to Darlington and Bishop Auckland

Framwellgate Moor
I went to Newcastle a lot, and used the 722/723 and 724, 722/723 was jointly operated by Northern and United, I was never sure if both companies had to accept the other companies return tickets, but there was a few times I would get the return and use it on both Arriva and Northern, I also did Drama at Stanley Civic Hall and used the 718 and 719...There was a few times I went to Scarborough, Whitby, and once to Northallerton, Thirsk and Ripon...I also used the 240/241/243 towards Peterlee quite a bit...

These days I have created my own memories by going round the North East to watch Darlington play between 2012-15...Seaham Red Star, Consett, Dunston, Billingham, Carlisle, Newton Aycliffe, Hebburn, Ashington, Whitley Bay, Shildon, Whitby, Gateshead, Kendal, West Auckland.

Some of my other early clear memories was sneaking into the Old Murton Bus Depot, climbing on a bus and playing with the Destination Blind before getting caught, I was only about 4 or 5 and did not know the concept of trespassing...

Not long after getting caught I wrote to the depot for some reason, probably saying how much I love buses and asked for some timetables to to be sent out, not only did I get some Timetables, one of the depot supervisers came to see me and give me some model buses, it just so happened I was approaching my 6th birthday and the guy came to see me actually on my birthday which was a coincidence as I never mentioned my birthday in the letter...

When I went to school in Durham, I will never forget getting a bus at Durham Cathedral to the Bus Station, it was rammed with camera wielding American Tourists who took a real shine to me one old lady saying to me 'Aaaaaawwwwww, look how cute he is in lil pants' another saying 'We relly love your County Durrrrrrr-hammmmmm' and I said 'Thank you, it is not just my County Durham'

I was a regular visitor to the Travelshop and whenever new batches of leflets came, they would always put to one side for me, that would go on to get me top marks in a Geography Project where we went to Newcastle on a field trip and I got top marks for providing the Bus Timetables...

Theres my memories dudes
I remember walking through Ashington back in 2005/6. Me and my mam would always walk around the back of the Arriva depot to get to Asda. There was a path that went from the Netto carpark and stands F and G, around the depot, past the delivery area of Asda and down the ramp. There used to be a bus turning circle at Asda for some reason, and there were Arriva minibuses calling frequently. In the depot were Olympians and other various buses including brand new MPDs.

I also remember the dark pit which was Morpeth Bus Station, horrid little hellhole. When I say dark, I mean really dark...
SC in Sunderland used to have a bus 36*** was all I can remember and for some reason this particular bus had a lot more leg room than the rest! Was often used on the 8.

I used to love the Welco buses to, much better and cheaper than SC but they ran 20A for a while and ran them to the ground. T**ts.
I can remember United Mark 1 Nationals on the 358 to Blyth and the Bristol LH on the 411 to Whitley Bay.

Quite liked the Mark 2 Nationals on the 442 to Ashington and North Shields, the roar they made, esp the W reg ones.
Marxista Fozzski
Did Go North East used to have open top buses, I remember getting on one down Whitley Bay years ago...Probably would have been when that area was known as coastline
(11 Aug 2015, 8:19 pm)MrFozz wrote Also who remembers the periscope on deckers, all you could see was the drivers head, think they were for the driver to see what was going on upstairs ;D

Aye, relatives used to tell me as a kid that the driver would throw me off the bus at the next stop if I kept staring down them Tongue.
(11 Aug 2015, 8:19 pm)MrFozz wrote Also who remembers the periscope on deckers, all you could see was the drivers head, think they were for the driver to see what was going on upstairs ;D

Yeah, I do remember seeing them on Olympians although I couldn't see anything down them when I looked at them for some reason and I think they were more for the driver to see the goings on upstairs which I imagine was the reason for the big mirrors.
Marxista Fozzski
(11 Aug 2015, 8:29 pm)Jimmi wrote Yeah, I do remember seeing them on Olympians although I couldn't see anything down them when I looked at them for some reason and I think they were more for the driver to see the goings on upstairs which I imagine was the reason for the big mirrors.
Yeah, it was for a driver to see what was going on on the top deck
I remember sitting over it on school trips and that haha
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

I'd forgotten about them. All the Hull buses had them.Big Grin

Our scholars used to be ancient Leyland Atlanteans belonging to Calvary Coaches of Washington. Even though they had the periscope thing, they used to have one guy downstairs and another guy upstairs keeping an eye on us. Used to love sticking my head out of the old style sliding windows.

Charles

I don't need to remember them, once I board the 35 or the X20 I step back in time....  Big Grin
Re: Bus Memories
My memory of buses from my younger years has always been Leyland Atlanteans, and a particular fondness for the 500 batch, hence my avatar and username. Here's some of the routes I can remember:

20: Wallsend - Benton via Walker (I think)

21/22: Wallsend - Throckley

35: Wallsend - General Hospital (not 100% sure)

49: Wallsend - Throckley via Cochrane Park

301: Whitley Bay - Gateshead/Metrocentre

302: North Shields Ferry - Gateshead

305: Wallsend - Newcastle via Hadrian Park

307: Wallsend - Newcastle via Redesdale Park

310: Whitley Bay - Sunderland

313: Wallsend - North Tyneside General Hospital

319: Cramlington - Sunderland

321/322: Holy Cross - Battle Hill (And maybe Benton Hypermarket?)

340/341 Wallsend - Hadrian Park
(25 Oct 2015, 11:19 am)Charles41 wrote Showing my age here but who can remember when GNE trialled Routemasters on the 53 and 54 Saltwell Park services?

Charles

Even I cannot remember that  Big Grin