You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Anything and Everything
(16 Aug 2015, 11:30 am)Jimmi wrote https://youtu.be/bOR38552MJA Big Grin

Although it was from the movie... that's when South Park was good. 

The new episodes aren't very good and just rip off real life events. (Kinda liked the Game Of Thrones rip off though, all 3 epsiodes) Tongue
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(16 Aug 2015, 11:38 am)Michael wrote Although it was from the movie... that's when South Park was good. 

The new episodes aren't very good and just rip off real life events. (Kinda liked the Game Of Thrones rip off though, all 3 epsiodes) 
Yeah, it was better back then. Newer episodes are usually just take the mick out of recent events.
I haven't watched South Park for a good 5 year or so, but I thought the show went from strength to strength from around Season 4/5 onwards. I hated the movie.
(16 Aug 2015, 12:56 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I think Sunderland City Centre is even less appealing than it is during the week.

It looks so run-down and empty.

Not all of the town... we have some decent parts, i think more buildings are coming down to make way for the college and for other parts of the city centre..but i also agree, parts need a massive make over.... rumours going around that work will start next year on an extension to the bridges.. where the old lesuire centre used to be woth it being build like Primark...
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(16 Aug 2015, 12:56 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I think Sunderland City Centre is even less appealing than it is during the week.

It looks so run-down and empty.

I ended up through there in the early hours again last night. It was actually busier around Park Lane than the Bigg Market was.

The rest of the City Centre is a dump mind. It seems that every other shop is boarded up - or is a Greggs. It's a shame like, because Park Lane itself looks really decent for bars. I keep meaning to try Port of Call, as I hadn't realised they'd demolished and rebuilt 'Chase', rather than just occupy it!
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(16 Aug 2015, 4:40 pm)aureolin wrote I ended up through there in the early hours again last night. It was actually busier around Park Lane than the Bigg Market was.

The rest of the City Centre is a dump mind. It seems that every other shop is boarded up - or is a Greggs. It's a shame like, because Park Lane itself looks really decent for bars. I keep meaning to try Port of Call, as I hadn't realised they'd demolished and rebuilt 'Chase', rather than just occupy it!

I think the crowds have moved away from the Bigg Market. Grey Street/Monument always seems to be chocker-block whenever I have to traverse Newcastle City Centre on either a Friday or Saturday night. It's all too trendy for me however.

I think my issue with Sunderland is how developers have left much of the city to rot. If I recall correctly, Fawcett Strett, John Street and High Street West used to be the main shopping areas, now everything has seemingly migrated into The Bridges, which, in my opinion, is like every other shopping mall I've been in. Buildings, I feel, help to give towns and cities character. If planners wish to retain some of that character they need look at how re-utilise existing buildings. If this is not possible (or not desirable), demolish them - don't let them become relics of another era.
(16 Aug 2015, 5:01 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I think the crowds have moved away from the Bigg Market. Grey Street/Monument always seems to be chocker-block whenever I have to traverse Newcastle City Centre on either a Friday or Saturday night. It's all too trendy for me however.

I think my issue with Sunderland is how developers have left much of the city to rot. If I recall correctly, Fawcett Strett, John Street and High Street West used to be the main shopping areas, now everything has seemingly migrated into The Bridges, which, in my opinion, is like every other shopping mall I've been in. Buildings, I feel, help to give towns and cities character. If planners wish to retain some of that character they need look at how re-utilise existing buildings. If this is not possible (or not desirable), demolish them - don't let them become relics of another era.

We have been kicking about the Ouseburn for a while. Dunno if it is a sign we're getting old, or changing tastes.
Not keen on the glitzy bars, full of Geordie Shore wannabes. 
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(16 Aug 2015, 5:19 pm)Andreos1 wrote We have been kicking about the Ouseburn for a while. Dunno if it is a sign we're getting old, or changing tastes.

I've never actually been into any of the bars (don't drink) so I can't really comment on the type of crowd they cater towards. But judging by the type of crowd I see either standing or sitting outside, they all seem to be the Geordie Shores wannabes of which you speak. 

They all seem busy though!
Site Administrator
RE: Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015
(16 Aug 2015, 6:21 pm)Michael wrote ............ trying to move on................

What's your thoughts on that bus? I think it would be nice if Go North East adopted that livery on their "Yellow Bus" branded Volvo Olympians. Smile
(16 Aug 2015, 6:22 pm)Dan wrote What's your thoughts on that bus? I think it would be nice if Go North East adopted that livery on their "Yellow Bus" branded Volvo Olympians. Smile

The blue and yellow go quite well together... maybe a future idea for a brand colour mixture? (If that's what its called?)
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(16 Aug 2015, 6:22 pm)Dan wrote What's your thoughts on that bus? I think it would be nice if Go North East adopted that livery on their "Yellow Bus" branded Volvo Olympians. Smile

It looks a bit like the old South Shields Busways livery if you ask me.

It would probably look alright on an Atlantean.
Site Administrator
(16 Aug 2015, 6:24 pm)Michael wrote The blue and yellow go quite well together... maybe a future idea for a brand colour mixture? (If that's what its called?)

Hartlepool Borough Council have adopted a similar livery on the vehicles they use on scholars contracts:

[Image: 14320448837_9e8897d0bd.jpg]Hartlepool Borough Council: NX59AHO by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

Spruce it up a bit, could make a decent livery!
(16 Aug 2015, 6:26 pm)Dan wrote Hartlepool Borough Council have adopted a similar livery on the vehicles they use on scholars contracts:

[Image: 14320448837_9e8897d0bd.jpg]Hartlepool Borough Council: NX59AHO by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

Spruce it up a bit, could make a decent livery!

The Blaydon racers brand would look decent on it!

Yellow background, Blaydon racers name in Blue...White route details.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(16 Aug 2015, 6:19 pm)Dan wrote [Image: bus-and-sheep-9125-600-pix.jpg]
I could make a joke about it operating in place of a Prince Bishops Solar but I won't. Oh I just did, oops!

If we think the Prince Bishops Solars are bad for reliability just be thankful I wasn't a member of NEB when the Arriva service 7 used Darts and Prestiges. That was terrible reliability.

As much as I don't like the Prince Bishops Solars as an enthusiast, they still usually do the job and get to their destinations when I use the 20/20A which admittedly not very often and I know people who regularly use the 20/20A and they don't have any complaints about the buses on these services, usually their only bad comments is the 20/20A struggling to get through the traffic in/out of Durham at times.
Site Administrator
(16 Aug 2015, 6:28 pm)Michael wrote The Blaydon racers brand would look decent on it!

Yellow background, Blaydon racers name in Blue...White route details.

You're just trying to re-create the old dual-door Volvo B10BLE livery! Tongue
Site Administrator
That awkward moment when someone reports a post that a forum mod has made... Tongue

To keep Drifter60 happy, I'll move my inappropriate content (and the posts which follow) into this thread.
(16 Aug 2015, 6:47 pm)aureolin wrote The build quality looks better than a Streetlite. Wink

I've seen worse turn up on the TB15 (or the TB633 - whatever it was called) while in Blaydon.
(16 Aug 2015, 6:40 pm)Dan wrote That awkward moment when someone reports a post that a forum mod has made... Tongue

To keep Drifter60 happy, I'll move my inappropriate content (and the posts which follow) into this thread.

As you pointed out about Bazza and Andreos repeating themselves, and that we can't have one rule for one and one rule for another rule for another. 
I thought same applied to the forum mods too- as you say can't be one rule for one and one rule for another.  Big Grin
(16 Aug 2015, 5:01 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I think the crowds have moved away from the Bigg Market. Grey Street/Monument always seems to be chocker-block whenever I have to traverse Newcastle City Centre on either a Friday or Saturday night. It's all too trendy for me however.

(16 Aug 2015, 5:19 pm)Andreos1 wrote We have been kicking about the Ouseburn for a while. Dunno if it is a sign we're getting old, or changing tastes.

(16 Aug 2015, 5:39 pm)MurdnunoC wrote I've never actually been into any of the bars (don't drink) so I can't really comment on the type of crowd they cater towards. But judging by the type of crowd I see either standing or sitting outside, they all seem to be the Geordie Shores wannabes of which you speak. 

They all seem busy though!

Going back to the discussion about drinking in Newcastle, perhaps I can shed a bit of light on it, speaking with plenty of recent experience (blame university. It was Freshers year after all).

There are still a few places open on the Bigg Market, including Bier Keller (amazing place), and Popworld. City Vaults closed down in the last few weeks as it's being transformed into a "sexual entertainment venue". A range of ages tend to drink in this area. I know my Irish Theology teacher at school (in his mid 40s) drinks there often.

The youth of today seem to have widened their horizons within the city centre. The Bigg Market was notorious for the drinking place to be a decade or so ago, but many places have opened all around the city centre in recent years.

Up by Monument, Basement is the place to be for trebles (3 for £5). I know many, occasionally my friends and I, go there after pre's before hitting the nightclubs.

The "Geordie Shore" type of clubs tend to be around the Central Station/Collingwood Street/St Nicholas Street/Mosley Street areas for House of Smith, Perdu, Bijoux, Tup Tup, Flares etc, as well as Riverside down by the Swing Bridge and Tiger Tiger by The Gate, all of which mainly catering for youths. (My uni friends and I actually appeared in the background on Geordie Shore a few months ago, according to a couple of them. I don't watch the show. It's so set up it's ridiculous).

Other venues include Digi beside the Centre for Life, Gotham Town over the road from the Central Station, the O2 Academy as Dirtypop (featuring a range of songs for everyone) is hosted every Friday night, and Alpha (heavy metal stuff) on a Saturday night, and Sinners, Sam Jacks, Bonbar etc in/next to The Gate.

From what I've seen, the adults tend to drink in the bars along the Bigg Market, the Quayside and around the Grey Street areas.

I hope this mini informative guide has been most interesting Smile