You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015
(20 Aug 2015, 6:54 pm)Stuartphin1639 wrote Durham can keep 2503, I'd take one of durhams buses over that any day

cool i did like SF04 RHA but i did go on it when it was a jesmond. i know it will not happen but i would like to see 2503 at blyth because the number 2 would benefit from that bus.
(20 Aug 2015, 8:12 pm)buss14 wrote cool i did like SF04 RHA but i did go on it when it was a jesmond. i know it will not happen but i would like to see 2503 at blyth because the number 2 would benefit from that bus.

In what way would Blyth benefit from having 2503? It's a total shed, some people on here think the MPDs used on the 2 sound bad so I dread to think what you would all make of 2503. The seats are a mix match of different moquette's and it looks tatty as owt inside.
(20 Aug 2015, 8:28 pm)Jimmi wrote In what way would Blyth benefit from having 2503? It's a total shed, some people on here think the MPDs used on the 2 sound bad so I dread to think what you would all make of 2503. The seats are a mix match of different moquette's and it looks tatty as owt inside.

sorry i should of explained it properly. i meant to say that if 2503 came to blyth then the staff at blyth could see if an optare solo would be better for the number 2 that MPD. i do know that the number 1 and 2 are to trial a stretlite to see what would be best for the future.
(20 Aug 2015, 8:33 pm)buss14 wrote sorry i should of explained it properly. i meant to say that if 2503 came to blyth then the staff at blyth could see if an optare solo would be better for the number 2 that MPD. i do know that the number 1 and 2 are to trial a stretlite to see what would be best for the future.

2503 is not a good example to see what Solos would be like as it is considerably older than the examples in the fleet and will probably perform differently to the younger examples. Ideally you'd want a 2008 or younger example if you were to do that.
(20 Aug 2015, 8:38 pm)Jimmi wrote 2503 is not a good example to see what Solos would be like as it is considerably older than the examples in the fleet and will probably perform differently to the younger examples. Ideally you'd want a 2008 or younger example if you were to do that.

cool never thought about that as i dont usually go into newcastle that often and never been on their solos yet. but travelsure buses 09 reg solo seem good so i would guess that arriva ones would be hopefully the same.
(20 Aug 2015, 8:33 pm)buss14 wrote sorry i should of explained it properly. i meant to say that if 2503 came to blyth then the staff at blyth could see if an optare solo would be better for the number 2 that MPD. i do know that the number 1 and 2 are to trial a stretlite to see what would be best for the future.

Definitely wouldn't say that 2503 would be a good bet for the 2, 05 plate MPD's sound strained along the faster sections of the route, never mind a 14 year old Solo. Don't know if passengers would be too happy either!!
(20 Aug 2015, 8:40 pm)buss14 wrote cool never thought about that as i dont usually go into newcastle that often and never been on their solos yet. but travelsure buses 09 reg solo seem good so i would guess that arriva ones would be hopefully the same.

Some of the 08 reg Solos are shocking, especially 2815.
(20 Aug 2015, 8:43 pm)Tom wrote Some of the 08 reg Solos are shocking, especially 2815.
I can't stand most of the 2008 Solos, I even decided to stay an extra half an hour in Bishop Auckland last week as 2850 was on the 5, that's how much I hate them, would have been even worse than normal as it was a hot day to. Was also because a Sapphire Pulsar was on the next 5A and I wanted a photo.
Got a feeling that, if Arriva decide to buy brand new for the 1 and 2, they'd go for ADL E200's?
(20 Aug 2015, 8:47 pm)Jimmi wrote I can't stand most of the 2008 Solos, I even decided to stay an extra half an hour in Bishop Auckland last week as 2850 was on the 5, that's how much I hate them, would have been even worse than normal as it was a hot day to. Was also because a Sapphire Pulsar was on the next 5A and I wanted a photo.

Yeah they are awful. I like the little 61 reg Solos though, they are pretty good.
(20 Aug 2015, 8:50 pm)mb134 wrote Got a feeling that, if Arriva decide to buy brand new for the 1 and 2, they'd go for ADL E200's?
If they buy any new buses of that size for any route I imagine it will be Enviro 200's based on the fact some other Arriva divisions have recently gone for them instead of Solos.
Site Administrator
(20 Aug 2015, 8:43 pm)Tom wrote Some of the 08 reg Solos are shocking, especially 2815.

I think Solos start to age a lot faster (seemingly) after their third or fourth birthday.

GNE's 635/636 sound like they've had better days - no where near as bad as Arriva's 08 plates and still a hell of a lot more comfortable, but still quite bad considering they'll have another 8 years in the fleet at least.
(20 Aug 2015, 8:52 pm)Jimmi wrote If they buy any new buses of that size for any route I imagine it will be Enviro 200's based on the fact some other Arriva divisions have recently gone for them instead of Solos.

Aye was looking through orders and noticed that, think they'd be a better alternative to the Streetlite for Blyth especially though, as I think that the E200 will be similar mechanically to the MPD's?
(20 Aug 2015, 8:50 pm)mb134 wrote Got a feeling that, if Arriva decide to buy brand new for the 1 and 2, they'd go for ADL E200's?

I don't think you can expect new stock to replace the MPDs next year - too many minibuses in the fleet.
(20 Aug 2015, 8:51 pm)Tom wrote Yeah they are awful. I like the little 61 reg Solos though, they are pretty good.
It's just the 08/58 examples that are especially awful, the ex Durham P&R 59 reg and 11 reg examples are still pretty decent. Solos do probably age badly especially if they are heavily used and Darlington's examples certainly have on the likes of 21/31, X26/X27 and appearances on the likes of the X66 since new.
(20 Aug 2015, 8:53 pm)Dan wrote I think Solos start to age a lot faster (seemingly) after their third or fourth birthday.

GNE's 635/636 sound like they've had better days - no where near as bad as Arriva's 08 plates and still a hell of a lot more comfortable, but still quite bad considering they'll have another 8 years in the fleet at least.

Some of the Solos are okay. Don't really go on the GNE Solos that much but one was on the 41 or 80 the other month and it did struggle on the Rosehill Bank. I agree they are comfortable though.
(20 Aug 2015, 8:55 pm)Kuyoyo wrote I don't think you can expect new stock to replace the MPDs next year - too many minibuses in the fleet.

What minibuses would these be though? Solos that are already worn out, that will need to be replaced within a few years?
(20 Aug 2015, 3:22 pm)BusLoverMum wrote We were on one of those 21A Omnicities, this morning. Didn't catch which one. Do they all rock from side to side? This one and another I caught last month, had a tendency to rock from side to side when standing - like the tilt mechanism was constantly firing off. I also noticed that, on the stretch between Station Town and the Trimdons, I had to look up and out of the window, or else I felt a bit woozy with being swayed about - big'un was sat at the front but said after we got off that he felt a bit queasy there, too. It was impressive on the A66 stretch approaching Middlesbrough, though. We were overtaking everything, uphill (In stark contrast to the X12 Gemini we got home again).

Yeah that'll be the self levelling valve but the Scanias are great for that.
Know what you mean about the back road between Station Town & Deaf Hill though - used to have fun taking Prestiges down there although you could only do about 40mph as like you say the road is all over the place. Always scope for turning it up a bit more when you were running late (which was quite often the case on the way to Peterlee) - or if you wanted to race the X7 to Wingate as you used to be about 2-3 minutes behind it so if it turned up late we used to sweep up in Wingate!

(20 Aug 2015, 3:30 pm)Dan wrote Yeah, pretty common of the Scanias to rock back and forth when stationary. Some of Go North East's L94s do it too.

I think Go North East's OmniCitys are geared towards being a bit more fuel-efficient and as such don't appear to be as powerful, but some of Arriva's are great once they get going. The late 4663 seemed to be one with an abundance of power on the 685, and 4659 (think that was the one at Jesmond before it moved to Ashington for the X15) was very much the same.

Still think that the OmniCitys are the best performers on the X93 to date - shame they don't have enough seats during the summer months! Volvo B9 is probably the next best thing, though.

The Omnicities were absolutely great and perfectly suited to the X93, shame we didn't have the double deck version (although I'm not a huge fan, the Omnidekka is much better!) as like you say they can't handle the loads. Unless we perhaps we went every 15-20 mins in the summer but the resource cost of that would be tremendous.
4659 I'm sure had a new engine just a few months before it left us. I seem to remember it being very lively when I took it on a 21A (before they became an every day thing!). The one Jesmond had was 4653 though it was swapped for 4663 when Ashington took 53/59 for the X15.

(20 Aug 2015, 3:51 pm)buss14 wrote if 1771 is being written off what will take its place?

Not confirmed it'll be a write off yet but it seems likely. Blyth's minibus PVR drops by 3 next month anyway so I suspect they'll bumble along without it for now. A long term replacement may be needed by Ashington though.

(20 Aug 2015, 6:24 pm)Jimmi wrote That wouldn't surprise me, think it's totally possible that 2503 could maybe transfer back to Darlington replacing  1799 as service U1 will be withdrawn next month which will see Belmont's PVR drop by one and service U1 has been a Solo everytime I've seen it in the last few months.

Speaking of 2503, I saw it on the 49A in Durham yesterday and the front LED screen was only showing the via points where it would normally show its terminus destination and also displayed no service number.

The U1 becomes an unregistered service (not taking fares) until early October when I understand GNE will take over the operation of the service to Ushaw College.

Most of the ones we've got from Darlington and especially from Durham look like they've been through a war zone but they're actually decent to drive (the ones I've had anyway!) - I think 2803 is the quickest one.

(20 Aug 2015, 9:01 pm)mb134 wrote What minibuses would these be though? Solos that are already worn out, that will need to be replaced within a few years?

I think we'd need to get another 5 or 6 years out of the Solos yet, disposal around 2020 when they'll be 12 years old which you'd expect from a minibus. New E200s would be nice but I think there would be other routes in front of the 1 and 2?

As for some news as you'd expect (?) from me - both 659 and 664 have now entered service at Durham with 659 being sighted on the 46/48 circuit today (well at least part of the day...)

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(20 Aug 2015, 9:27 pm)tyresmoke wrote I think we'd need to get another 5 or 6 years out of the Solos yet, disposal around 2020 when they'll be 12 years old which you'd expect from a minibus. New E200s would be nice but I think there would be other routes in front of the 1 and 2?

The only thing that keeps me thinking the 1 and 2 would get new buses is that, because 1733/42/50 weren't withdrawn until early this year, I can see Arriva keeping the MPD's at Blyth at least through 2016, by which time the Solo's would only have 3 years left, then they would also need replacing, would it be best just to give Blyth new buses when the MPD's go, so the services don't just keep getting cast offs? (also, brand new vehicles may help with reliability, I've saw a canny few Pulsars and Commanders on there recently)
(20 Aug 2015, 9:39 pm)mb134 wrote The only thing that keeps me thinking the 1 and 2 would get new buses is that, because 1733/42/50 weren't withdrawn until early this year, I can see Arriva keeping the MPD's at Blyth at least through 2016, by which time the Solo's would only have 3 years left, then they would also need replacing, would it be best just to give Blyth new buses when the MPD's go, so the services don't just keep getting cast offs? (also, brand new vehicles may help with reliability, I've saw a canny few Pulsars and Commanders on there recently)

BIB: Already effectively known that the MPDs will be leaving the fleet in 2016.
(20 Aug 2015, 9:39 pm)mb134 wrote The only thing that keeps me thinking the 1 and 2 would get new buses is that, because 1733/42/50 weren't withdrawn until early this year, I can see Arriva keeping the MPD's at Blyth at least through 2016, by which time the Solo's would only have 3 years left, then they would also need replacing, would it be best just to give Blyth new buses when the MPD's go, so the services don't just keep getting cast offs? (also, brand new vehicles may help with reliability, I've saw a canny few Pulsars and Commanders on there recently)

Saw a couple of 2s in Morpeth yesterday and they seemed pretty busy leaving Morpeth to Blyth, one left with standing room only too - but going to Kirkhill one only had a handful of passengers and the other one had only one passenger. So definitely think the 2 could do with an upgrade.
(20 Aug 2015, 9:45 pm)Kuyoyo wrote BIB: Already effectively known that the MPDs will be leaving the fleet in 2016.

Ah fair enough, surprised that these are being withdrawn this early, when the V-DNL batch lasted 15(?) years.
(20 Aug 2015, 9:49 pm)mb134 wrote Ah fair enough, surprised that these are being withdrawn this early, when the V-DNL batch lasted 15(?) years.

Their book value is quite low - I recall being told back when Stockton had 1769/71/2 that their book value was lower than the Cadets presently being withdrawn after 15 years (admittedly also 5 years after they were refurbished - which likely pushed their value up)
(20 Aug 2015, 9:52 pm)Kuyoyo wrote Their book value is quite low - I recall being told back when Stockton had 1769/71/2 that their book value was lower than the Cadets presently being withdrawn after 15 years (admittedly also 5 years after they were refurbished - which likely pushed their value up)

Aye I remember Tyresmoke posting something about that on here, shall be an interesting year coming up, with the X20 vehicles whatever they may be, and the various other upgrades around the region.
(20 Aug 2015, 9:54 pm)mb134 wrote Aye I remember Tyresmoke posting something about that on here, shall be an interesting year coming up, with the X20 vehicles whatever they may be, and the various other upgrades around the region.

They're doing the X7/X8 (current X4/X5) at the moment with 7602 and 1502 being away for refurb at present.
The X20 is planned to be fixed with Volvo B7TLs from London. Maybe not upto the standard of other MAX services but better than what it has now (on paper at least) I guess.
Plenty of other buses due to go for refurbishment including converting 5 of our Cadets to DDA spec (!)

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(20 Aug 2015, 10:08 pm)tyresmoke wrote They're doing the X7/X8 (current X4/X5) at the moment with 7602 and 1502 being away for refurb at present.
The X20 is planned to be fixed with Volvo B7TLs from London. Maybe not upto the standard of other MAX services but better than what it has now (on paper at least) I guess.
Plenty of other buses due to go for refurbishment including converting 5 of our Cadets to DDA spec (!)

That shouldn't take too long if we consider how long it's taking them to do the GNE B10BLEs Wink
(20 Aug 2015, 10:08 pm)tyresmoke wrote They're doing the X7/X8 (current X4/X5) at the moment with 7602 and 1502 being away for refurb at present.

E400's to B7TL's is a bit of a downgrade?! How old will these be?

Would have thought the B10BLE's would be converted over the Cadets?
(20 Aug 2015, 10:10 pm)mb134 wrote E400's to B7TL's is a bit of a downgrade?! How old will these be?

Would have thought the B10BLE's would be converted over the Cadets?

Could they not just do this:

- 6x new vehicles for the X18 (1 spare in Winter).
- 7529 to 7533 go onto X15 releasing 2x Omnicities.
- 7511 to 7513 go onto X20.

I thought that the X20 was to get new stock BTW.
(20 Aug 2015, 10:23 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Could they not just do this:

- 6x new vehicles for the X18 (1 spare in Winter).
- 7529 to 7533 go onto X15 releasing 2x Omnicities.
- 7511 to 7513 go onto X20.

I thought that the X20 was to get new stock BTW.

Think they'd have a hard time getting brand new vehicles for the X18, not even a year after they received 7529-33?
Then there's also the fact the X20 will require 4 buses once it goes to Alnwick.