You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - August 2015
(22 Aug 2015, 6:41 pm)NK53 TKT wrote Why doesn't Arriva get the 7 and X12 to link up, if they did this they could advertise Darlington to Newcastle/Middlesbrough connections which could bring in a lot of cash

They already have the X66 between Darlington and Middlesbrough and probably don't see a lot of capital in promoting the 2 1/4 hour journey between Darlington and Newcastle. You can do it in half an hour on the train for as little as £11, with a bit of forward planning
(22 Aug 2015, 8:49 pm)BusLoverMum wrote They already have the X66 between Darlington and Middlesbrough and probably don't see a lot of capital in promoting the 2 1/4 hour journey between Darlington and Newcastle. You can do it in half an hour on the train for as little as £11, with a bit of forward planning

True, it is what I would do.
Though there may still be traffic  places like Newton Aycliffe
(22 Aug 2015, 8:40 pm)mb134 wrote The allocation for the 35/35a has always been older vehicles, and I don't see much wrong with what is currently on there. For what is a pretty short service time wise, roughly 20 minutes from Ashington to Morpeth, the DAF ALX400's are more than fine, pretty comfortable seats, pretty pacey, and warm, can't ask much more of a bus.
i wasn't criticizing just stating a fact
(22 Aug 2015, 8:49 pm)BusLoverMum wrote They already have the X66 between Darlington and Middlesbrough and probably don't see a lot of capital in promoting the 2 1/4 hour journey between Darlington and Newcastle. You can do it in half an hour on the train for as little as £11, with a bit of forward planning

The 7 runs every 15 minutes in the daytime, and the X12 every half hour so if you plan your journey I am sure you can get a decent connection! I don't know whether they'll connect so well later in the day though Angel

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(22 Aug 2015, 9:23 pm)tyresmoke wrote The 7 runs every 15 minutes in the daytime, and the X12 every half hour so if you plan your journey I am sure you can get a decent connection! I don't know whether they'll connect so well later in the day though  Angel

Oh, well it still could be advertised as an 'oppertunity' in the timetable
(22 Aug 2015, 9:23 pm)tyresmoke wrote The 7 runs every 15 minutes in the daytime, and the X12 every half hour so if you plan your journey I am sure you can get a decent connection! I don't know whether they'll connect so well later in the day though Angel

No, the connection between the last few X12's and 7's is poor, on Saturday's the 1820 X12 arrives in Durham at the same time the 7 departs (1915) and the next 7 is at 2015 which annoyed me on my recent trip to Carlisle.

During the daytime the connections between the 7 and X12 can easily be met (providing you don't get the driver I've had on the 7 a few times recently who always seems to be pratting about doing something and has made the service run over 5 minutes late in the process)
(22 Aug 2015, 9:29 pm)Jimmi wrote No, the connection between the last few X12's and 7's is poor, on Saturday's the 1820 X12 arrives in Durham at the same time the 7 departs (1915) and the next 7 is at 2015 which annoyed me on my recent trip to Carlisle.

During the daytime the connections between the 7 and X12 can easily be met (providing you don't get the driver I've had on the 7 a few times recently who always seems to be pratting about doing something and has made the service run over 5 minutes late in the process)

That's bad
(22 Aug 2015, 9:23 pm)tyresmoke wrote The 7 runs every 15 minutes in the daytime, and the X12 every half hour so if you plan your journey I am sure you can get a decent connection! I don't know whether they'll connect so well later in the day though  Angel

Yep. It's possible to go for a 15 minute wait or a skin of the teeth race across the bus station (when everything's running on time). Neither is too arduous, really, though the 15 minute wait isn't quite long enough to get to Durham's one clean loo and back, if needed.

I usually buy an explorer to get to Newcastle, rather than an Arriva day ticket, as I don't like being constrained to the X12. That paid off, one Saturday, when the metro was off (our usual back up plan as we can get a single bus home from Sunderland) and there had been an accident near Chester le Street - we were able to catch the X1 to Houghton and then the 20 to Durham. It took half an hour longer than usual, but was an interesting route through old haunts and we got a seat. We'd probably have had to queue for half an hour (there were hundreds of people in Eldon square, waiting) just to stand up and crawl through traffic jams on the regular 21/X21/X12 buses.

I might have annoyed a driver by getting off the X12 coming from Middlesbrough and seeing that a 22 hadn't left yet, the other day. I was experimenting with having a family ticket on my phone. Which meant logging in, opening the app, as it had closed and finding the ticket. I was already annoyed because going through an area where both of my SIMs were low signal had eaten up my battery and I'd had no chance to charge it, so had had to switch my phone off for a while (thankfully turned it on again before reaching Durham). I'll stick with paper tickets, in the future, unless I'm strapped for actual cash or not going very far.
(22 Aug 2015, 8:40 pm)mb134 wrote The allocation for the 35/35a has always been older vehicles, and I don't see much wrong with what is currently on there. For what is a pretty short service time wise, roughly 20 minutes from Ashington to Morpeth, the DAF ALX400's are more than fine, pretty comfortable seats, pretty pacey, and warm, can't ask much more of a bus.

Yes, but the thing is with the 35/35a is that there's 3 buses that have WiFi and 3 buses that don't. Due to the unique way how Ashington allocate, it's impossible to avoid a non-WiFi vehicle. What I assumed would happen since 1581 got branded that the 35 would have StreetLites and the 35A the DB250s. 

The ALX400s are great on the 35, if I'm on an Explorer or returning from the railway station I'll always wait for an ALX400. My mam prefers StreetLites, as they have separate spaces for pushchairs and wheelchairs.
(23 Aug 2015, 8:07 am)GX03 SVC wrote Yes, but the thing is with the 35/35a is that there's 3 buses that have WiFi and 3 buses that don't. Due to the unique way how Ashington allocate, it's impossible to avoid a non-WiFi vehicle. What I assumed would happen since 1581 got branded that the 35 would have StreetLites and the 35A the DB250s. 

The ALX400s are great on the 35, if I'm on an Explorer or returning from the railway station I'll always wait for an ALX400. My mam prefers StreetLites, as they have separate spaces for pushchairs and wheelchairs.

i don't mind when they put B7TL's on and ALX400s or MPD just it would be nice if they did have wifi.
(23 Aug 2015, 8:07 am)GX03 SVC wrote Yes, but the thing is with the 35/35a is that there's 3 buses that have WiFi and 3 buses that don't. Due to the unique way how Ashington allocate, it's impossible to avoid a non-WiFi vehicle. What I assumed would happen since 1581 got branded that the 35 would have StreetLites and the 35A the DB250s. 

I didn't like the T-FGN DAF ones because the seat types vary. I think the current ones 7466-7481 are much more comfortable however on the 35 all buses have wifi if correctly allocated with
a PVR consisting of: 1579,1580,1581,7468,7470 and 7472. The latter three have been retrofitted
(23 Aug 2015, 8:57 am)NK53 TKT wrote I didn't like the T-FGN DAF ones because the seat types vary. I think the current ones 7466-7481 are much more comfortable however on the 35 all buses have wifi if correctly allocated with
a PVR consisting of: 1579,1580,1581,7468,7470 and 7472. The latter three have been retrofitted

When were 7468/70/72 retrofitted?  Huh
(23 Aug 2015, 9:01 am)GX03 SVC wrote When were 7468/70/72 retrofitted?  Huh

i never knew they where retrofitted.
may i ask. does anyone know if the two enviros are away for refurb to sapphire will they be coming back to ashington because if not then ashington will find themselves short of buses.
(23 Aug 2015, 9:11 am)buss14 wrote may i ask. does anyone know if the two enviros are away for refurb to sapphire will they be coming back to ashington because if not then ashington will find themselves short of buses.

I don't know. I hope  not. I think the will swap to Belmont for the 6. This could mean that two belmont buses will transfer to Ashington. For eg. 659 and 664
(23 Aug 2015, 9:11 am)buss14 wrote may i ask. does anyone know if the two enviros are away for refurb to sapphire will they be coming back to ashington because if not then ashington will find themselves short of buses.

As noted before 7519/20/21 will be transferred to Durham. 

Originally 7453/4/5/6 were going to be transferred back to Ashington, but as Kuyoyo stated in a post that engineering didn't trust Ashington with them.

I've been hearing "new to the fleet" vehicles for the X20, but nothing else has been said about that.
(23 Aug 2015, 9:14 am)NK53 TKT wrote I don't know. I hope  not. I think the will swap to Belmont for the 6. This could mean that two belmont buses will transfer to Ashington. For eg. 659 and 664

Why do Ashington need three Sapphire buses?  Huh
(23 Aug 2015, 9:15 am)GX03 SVC wrote As noted before 7519/20/21 will be transferred to Durham. 

Originally 7453/4/5/6 were going to be transferred back to Ashington, but as Kuyoyo stated in a post that engineering didn't trust Ashington with them.

I've been hearing "new to the fleet" vehicles for the X20, but nothing else has been said about that.
I hope these new X20 vehicles are single deckers. If not they have wasted their money.

There are 3 E400s away to Thorntons for Sapphire refurb but they will be going to Durham soon after completion. Not sure what will transfer into Ashington to replace them but it won't be 659/664 as they were brought in to cover the 2 East Durham College services. It may well be that they'll be flushed out by the 6 B7TL's coming from London but the times may not meet exactly so it will be interesting to see.

(23 Aug 2015, 9:15 am)GX03 SVC wrote I've been hearing "new to the fleet" vehicles for the X20, but nothing else has been said about that.

They'll probably be taken from the pool of B7 Gemini's coming from London
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
(23 Aug 2015, 9:15 am)GX03 SVC wrote As noted before 7519/20/21 will be transferred to Durham. 

well Kuyoyo is right because the lowlanders are in a more decent condotion however four temsa's may go to ashington but i do know they are earmarked for redcar.
(23 Aug 2015, 9:18 am)NK53 TKT wrote I hope these new X20 vehicles are single deckers. If not they have wasted their money.

So Arriva are wasting their money if they get double deckers? 

Passenger loadings Ashington - Amble are extremely high. Also certain journeys from Ashington - Newcastle have loads of passengers, which have been noted before.

I've written before, even yesterday, that the X20 needs decent, modern double deckers that are up to the job and can handle Newcastle to Alnwick (X15/X18) loadings.

One reason for the X20 being extended to Alnwick is to take pressure off the X15/8 services, which often leave passengers behind even with a double decker vehicle.
(23 Aug 2015, 9:21 am)NK53 TKT wrote Are you talking about the Y-REG ones. If so and it happens I will be on one immediatly

For the URBAN 90s
(23 Aug 2015, 9:22 am)NK53 TKT wrote For the URBAN 90s

7453/4/5/6 - the 57-reg ones. Why would Arriva refurbish buses that old to Max?

- edit: to avoid confusion 7453/4/5/6 aren't getting transferred to Ashington, as stated before.
(23 Aug 2015, 9:23 am)GX03 SVC wrote 7453/4/5/6 - the 57-reg ones. Why would Arriva refurbish buses that old to Max?

As far as I know they are staying at Durham