You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: Lothian Buses open day
I'm in two minds whether or not I can be bothered with the open doors day. I think realistically, I'm not going to see anything different to what was there last year, except the guest vehicle of course. I'm up there earlier in the month too.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(16 Aug 2015, 4:04 pm)citaro5284 wrote And Showbus the weekend before....certainly covering the miles
Another thing I'd like to go to but highly unlikely to be attending as travel costs would probably be too much and won't get there until about 1pm on public transport and I know nothing about trips or anything going down there

Think I may have to unfollow Dan and a few others on Flickr in September as I'll be too hacked off viewing how much fun everyone else has had whilst I sit at home bored out of my mind.

Can you tell I'm in a particularly bad mood this afternoon.
(16 Aug 2015, 4:24 pm)Jimmi wrote Another thing I'd like to go to but highly unlikely to be attending as travel costs would probably be too much and won't get there until about 1pm on public transport and I know nothing about trips or anything going down there

Think I may have to unfollow Dan and a few others on Flickr in September as I'll be too hacked off viewing how much fun everyone else has had whilst I sit at home bored out of my mind.

Can you tell I'm in a particularly bad mood this afternoon.

I always get the impression you're in a bad mood! Smile

Just because others are enjoying themselves somewhere, doesn't mean that you can't do something elsewhere? I can't see why it would bother you looking at someone else's photos of the event.

I'd looked to go myself this year, but when it's came down to it, other things have got in the way. Bit of a shame like, as one of my mates was going to drive down for it.
(16 Aug 2015, 4:36 pm)aureolin wrote I always get the impression you're in a bad mood! Smile

Just because others are enjoying themselves somewhere, doesn't mean that you can't do something elsewhere? I can't see why it would bother you looking at someone else's photos of the event.

I'd looked to go myself this year, but when it's came down to it, other things have got in the way. Bit of a shame like, as one of my mates was going to drive down for it.

Not really a great deal to do to take my mind off stuff like this, especially on a Sunday and I am now wanting to go further afield but now train/coach fares would be too expensive.

Don't know why I get annoyed by viewing people's photos from events I can't get to, probably because I want to go and can't so I have the annoyance from viewing the photos.

Maybe looking more into things next year so I can maybe see about getting hotels for a night and return from things the following day.

A few other things have been infuriating me this afternoon. I am not always in a bad mood but some things can easily put me in bad moods.
YP railcard is absolutely brilliant, really well worth it. Even if you're just an occasional traveller it should pay for itself within a few uses.

I normally get mine yearly (even though I realistically lose £20/year that I could save).

Try a google search for "Tickety Split" or "Split Train Tickets". There's a few handy tools/widgets that can show you cheaper fares by splitting your route. Just don't go ahead and book through them as they mostly use Thetrainline which charges a completely stupid booking fee; I advise to never go through them.
Write down the details it gives (for example instead of getting a ticket from Carlisle to Crewe, you'd get an outbound one for Carlisle - Preston and Preston - Crewe and the return maybe Crewe - Lancaster and Lancaster - Carlisle).
Then go through a TOC website (such as VTEC) and book those journeys stated.
Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
Lothian Buses open day
Think I'll give the Lothian Open Day a miss as it is rather expensive to get up there.

Think I may get the 3 year 16-25 Railcard but may wait until about December/January time as I don't plan to make any train trips until next year now, possibly March sort of time being the first and dependent on time and funds I may try and do at least one trip each month between March and October.
(16 Aug 2015, 4:54 pm)Jimmi wrote Not really a great deal to do to take my mind off stuff like this, especially on a Sunday and I am now wanting to go further afield but now train/coach fares would be too expensive.

Don't know why I get annoyed by viewing people's photos from events I can't get to, probably because I want to go and can't so I have the annoyance from viewing the photos.

Maybe looking more into things next year so I can maybe see about getting hotels for a night and return from things the following day.

A few other things have been infuriating me this afternoon. I am not always in a bad mood but some things can easily put me in bad moods.

I think a good plan for you, thinking long term, would be for you to put some money aside, specially, invest in the most suitable railcard for you (see if you qualify for the disabled person's card as that would flag you up for assistance when you are in a situation you'd struggle with plus, you can nominate a friend to also save, if that's possible) and plan some days out that would make the most of it.
http://www.disabledpersons-railcard.co.u...-eligible/
(25 Aug 2015, 6:30 am)aureolin wrote Decided to do this after all. Booked up and raring to go!

Looks like quite a few members of NEB are going then, what time you heading up aureolin?
In a change of events I have decided to go to this and I booked my train tickets today. I'll be getting the 0806 from Darlington (arriving in Edinburgh at 1024) and will be returning on the 1630 train from Edinburgh (arriving back in Darlington at 1826).
(25 Aug 2015, 7:32 pm)Jimmi wrote In a change of events I have decided to go to this and I booked my train tickets today. I'll be getting the 0806 from Darlington (arriving in Edinburgh at 1024) and will be returning on the 1630 train from Edinburgh (arriving back in Darlington at 1826).

HST there, Class 91 back  Big Grin
(25 Aug 2015, 7:38 pm)aureolin wrote Certainly is! You'd think I'd given him the train times or something...  Angel Tongue

I would want class 91 both ways....cannot wait for the new class 800's.......
(25 Aug 2015, 9:43 am)Malarkey wrote Looks like quite a few members of NEB are going then, what time you heading up aureolin?

Same as Jimmi pretty much, but I'm booked to and from Newcastle.

Newcastle 0842 - Edinburgh 1024
Edinburgh 1630 - Newcastle 1757
(25 Aug 2015, 7:39 pm)citaro5284 wrote I would want class 91 both ways....cannot wait for the new class 800's.......

I go through phases, but I probably prefer the 91s over the HSTs. Though I do opt for a HST back from London, simply to avoid the London-Peterborough commuters.
(25 Aug 2015, 7:43 pm)Jimmi wrote Had to do a Google Image search of what both of them looked like, you can tell my interest in trains is very minor Big Grin

Shame on you  Tongue

Dan will tell you, I can see the ECML from my office window...its great!
Site Administrator
(25 Aug 2015, 7:45 pm)citaro5284 wrote Shame on you  Tongue

First day of VTEC operation with the newly painted train out, we had a few guests...!
(25 Aug 2015, 7:45 pm)citaro5284 wrote Shame on you  Tongue

I've only ever really seen Northern Rail's Class 142's on the Bishop - Saltburn line, should have seen my face when I got a Class 156 on the direct Whitby train to Darlington on Easter Sunday, I thought it was posh, shows how often I ride trains  Big Grin
Site Administrator
(25 Aug 2015, 7:51 pm)Jimmi wrote I've only ever really seen Northern Rail's Class 142's on the Bishop - Saltburn line, should have seen my face when I got a Class 156 on the direct Whitby train to Darlington on Easter Sunday, I thought it was posh, shows how often I ride trains  Big Grin

Oh yes, we see (*ahem* hear) those from the office, too! Bit harder in summer as the leaves prevent citaro5284's viewing of the line, but I can just about see it.
(25 Aug 2015, 7:55 pm)Dan wrote Oh yes, we see (*ahem* hear) those from the office, too! Bit harder in summer as the leaves prevent citaro5284's viewing of the line, but I can just about see it.

Count yourselves lucky. They prevent the trains from running in the world of DB T&W...
(25 Aug 2015, 7:55 pm)Dan wrote Oh yes, we see (*ahem* hear) those from the office, too! Bit harder in summer as the leaves prevent citaro5284's viewing of the line, but I can just about see it.

Could be worse, I can sometimes hear them from my house!
Site Administrator
(25 Aug 2015, 7:57 pm)Jimmi wrote Could be worse, I can sometimes hear them from my house!

Not sure how far away the Northern Rail line is from your house, but it's a matter of metres away from my ears at work... So it's bloody awful when citaro5284 opens the window - and he wonders why I prefer to have the air con on (if we must remove heat from the room...........)
(25 Aug 2015, 8:00 pm)Dan wrote Not sure how far away the Northern Rail line is from your house, but it's a matter of metres away from my ears at work... So it's bloody awful when citaro5284 opens the window - and he wonders why I prefer to have the air con on (if we must remove heat from the room...........)

Close enough!

My ears are still ringing from when I went to Newton Aycliffe Rail Station for some photos the other week.
Lothian Buses open day
Completely forgot that I'm going out the night before this so I dread to think what state I'm going to turn up in for this

Don't know if it's better being out the night before or going straight out as soon as I get back to Darlington which I thought I was doing for a moment earlier.
(11 Sep 2015, 5:17 pm)Jimmi wrote Completely forgot that I'm going out the night before this so I dread to think what state I'm going to turn up in for this

Don't know if it's better being out the night before or going straight out as soon as I get back to Darlington which I thought I was doing for a moment earlier.

Spare a thought for me if you're going to be hungover! Big Grin
(11 Sep 2015, 5:20 pm)aureolin wrote Spare a thought for me if you're going to be hungover! Big Grin
It's a gig with a 11pm curfew so I should be alright, although I'm not making any promises

Might be tired though as I'll have to get up sometime before 6, so I hope I don't end up in the sleeping commuters thread