You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2013

RE: Go North East - Latest
New timetables online for October.. only so far

13/14 - looks like it will run later than now..

X22 - Hourly Service - starting 9:34am with last run at 13:34 (14.34 in school holidays) and will run every 2 hours on Sundays
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(11 Sep 2013, 9:51 pm)Panasonic44 wrote Does anyone know if all the Coaster buses have been repainted? Thanks

No. During my PE lesson today, I saw two ''Coaster'' branded Omnictities in the gold base colour. I think they are 5251 and 5271.
(12 Sep 2013, 4:26 pm)W179SCU wrote No. During my PE lesson today, I saw two ''Coaster'' branded Omnictities in the gold base colour. I think they are 5251 and 5271.

Thanks. I take it the two with gold base are for 35*, 58 or X66 or i am missing something.
Site Administrator
(12 Sep 2013, 5:37 pm)Panasonic44 wrote Thanks. I take it the two with gold base are for 35*, 58 or X66 or i am missing something.

He means the original cream coloured "Coaster" livery (as in the livery on the photo in my signature below).
(12 Sep 2013, 3:51 pm)Michael wrote New timetables online for October.. only so far

X22 - Hourly Service - starting 9:34am with last run at 13:34 (14.34 in school holidays) and will run every 2 hours on Sundays

Major-ish change to the X22

Durham is now served on all departures (assuming to directly compete with X24) on all days as opposed to a once a day departure. No more short Chester Le Street runs.

And also above permanent introduction of a Sunday service
If it's of any interest to anyone, about 45 minutes ago I passed a Nexus-branded Optare Solo working the 98 as I was driving through Whickham.

Should this observation be here or is it a rarity for this service?
I first noted the incredibly bright destination blind mid-July (17/07) when she was at Saltmeadows.
Was it not then when she received a replacement front end?

Yes that was around the time of the accident. However 8226 was at Saltmeadows for nearly 3-4 weeks because of this.
Site Administrator
(12 Sep 2013, 7:23 pm)dans_bus_photos wrote 4961 is now in northern red livery

Was this not mentioned on Monday when it was first repainted and put into Northern?
Site Administrator
(12 Sep 2013, 7:27 pm)Michael wrote Don't think it was, cant renember seen a poat about it till now.

My bad - it was on the "to do list" then, I guess! :p
(12 Sep 2013, 7:28 pm)Daniel wrote My bad - it was on the "to do list" then, I guess! :p
Oh well haha, wonder if the rest will go northen then
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Maybe you should check it more often then before jumping down my throat that it might have been posted twice
Site Administrator
(12 Sep 2013, 7:52 pm)dans_bus_photos wrote Maybe you should check it more often then before jumping down my throat that it might have been posted twice

I was positive I posted about it when it first went in - I wasn't jumping down your throat at all...
Back on-topic? Wink
It has been mentioned previously but don't forget your orange gear for a free (wi-fi enabled) journey on the Tynedale Express tomorrow

Get the train back, its prettier and quicker Big Grin
(12 Sep 2013, 8:07 pm)gtomlinson wrote It has been mentioned previously but don't forget your orange gear for a free (wi-fi enabled) journey on the Tynedale Express tomorrow

Get the train back, its prettier and quicker Big Grin

& much dearer than the bus - £6.40 single from Hexham to Newcastle, with the return on Tynedalexpress being 90p cheaper !
(12 Sep 2013, 8:20 pm)busman101 wrote & much dearer than the bus - £6.40 single from Hexham to Newcastle, with the return on Tynedalexpress being 90p cheaper !

Howay Busman101, you know the score - why the fascination with Hexham at the moment?
Is there a market or is it to remove the competition?
(12 Sep 2013, 8:28 pm)Andreos1 wrote Howay Busman101, you know the score - why the fascination with Hexham at the moment?
Is there a market or is it to remove the competition?

Hold up - I'm just suggesting that bus is much cheaper than the train ! Plus there's a Market in Hexham every Tuesday !!!
(12 Sep 2013, 8:30 pm)busman101 wrote Hold up - I'm just suggesting that bus is much cheaper than the train ! Plus there's a Market in Hexham every Tuesday !!!

Haha, I know you were suggesting that. Just wondering if you knew (or were willing to share) the reasons behind the ever expanding interests in Hexham? Wink
(12 Sep 2013, 8:20 pm)busman101 wrote & much dearer than the bus - £6.40 single from Hexham to Newcastle, with the return on Tynedalexpress being 90p cheaper !

Hardly a massive difference though. 37 minute - 42 minute journey isn't bad with no A69 or West Road to contend with and lovely views.

And the train runs earlier and later than the bus does and with a better frequency.

I'm not knocking or having a go but I've a lot friends and colleagues in Hexham and it'd take more than price to shift them off the train.

A few have used the Tynedale Express with some vouchers that they got through work but complained about the amount of erm 'grey users' - same problem with the 685
(12 Sep 2013, 8:37 pm)Andreos1 wrote Haha, I know you were suggesting that. Just wondering if you knew (or were willing to share) the reasons behind the ever expanding interests in Hexham? Wink

Presumably there's a gap in the market & there's been lots of moans it seems about other services in the area
(12 Sep 2013, 8:39 pm)gtomlinson wrote Hardly a massive difference though. 37 minute - 42 minute journey isn't bad with no A69 or West Road to contend with and lovely views.

And the train runs earlier and later than the bus does and with a better frequency.

I'm not knocking or having a go but I've a lot friends and colleagues in Hexham and it'd take more than price to shift them off the train.

A few have used the Tynedale Express with some vouchers that they got through work but complained about the amount of erm 'grey users' - same problem with the 685

£6.40 single as opposed to £5.50 return is a fair difference and peak return on the train is £7.70, so over £2 difference and you've got to walk to the station at Hexham and from the station in Newcastle - so, I bet the overall journey time isn't that different if you've got to walk a bit
(12 Sep 2013, 8:44 pm)busman101 wrote £6.40 single as opposed to £5.50 return is a fair difference and peak return on the train is £7.70, so over £2 difference and you've got to walk to the station at Hexham and from the station in Newcastle - so, I bet the overall journey time isn't that different if you've got to walk a bit

If the majority (and I'm guessing they are) of people using the train from Hexham live in the outlying villages and are forced to drive into Hexham due to the lack of public transport in those areas, is the bus the better alternative?

It would be interesting to see the amount of train passengers who have season tickets too.

I'm not knocking the tynedalexpress, far from it. The more public transport, the better.
Site Administrator
An unidentified East Durham MPD has just passed Park Lane with no rear bumper heading to Deptford depot. Not sure which one it was, but it was one fitted with LEDs.
On the magical tour of washington Haha
The MPSs are decent on here.. think im on 570, not sure
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(13 Sep 2013, 9:01 am)Michael wrote On the magical tour of washington Haha
The MPSs are decent on here.. think im on 570, not sure

If it's a Street Shuttle MPD, you've probably boarded the 88 by mistake! Tongue
(12 Sep 2013, 8:51 pm)Andreos1 wrote If the majority (and I'm guessing they are) of people using the train from Hexham live in the outlying villages and are forced to drive into Hexham due to the lack of public transport in those areas, is the bus the better alternative?

Even in the heydays of the 1950s, public transport in Hexham's 'hinterland' was very thin. Anyone who lives beyond Allenheads or Bellingham has never had a bus service that would enable them to commute into Newcastle, for example (though it's perfectly possible even today from Newbrough, Allenheads and Allendale Town). So people who are "forced to drive into Hexham" have never had another option, so it's not a question of being 'forced'; it's a question of knowing that if, for whatever reason, you live somewhere remote, you might suffer from isolation if you can't drive (an issue that the HoC Transport Select Committee is currently considering).

So, if you must drive into Hexham, the question is if any mode provides a better option onwards (towards Newcastle), and I would suspect not for most people - if you've got cash tied up in the value of your car, if you've paid its tax and insurance, the additional cost of a fiver's petrol probably makes driving into the city more attractive, especially if you can park for free.

My guess is that the choice of train from Hexham rather than bus is influenced more by people's perception of train travel, thanks to Michael Palin.

Interesting point made earlier in the thread about total journey time - the bus goes to Eldon Square and St James and peak ones start from the Hexham estates, so unless you live within reasonable walking distance of Hexham Station and work within reasonable walking distance of Central Station, the bus could well be a better (and cheaper) bet. And despite the X84/85 last bus being at 1850, passengers can use returns and TEN Plus on the 10 until 2300.

Anyone seen an Arriva/Stagecoach competitive response on the 685 yet?