You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2015
just notced ashington still has LF02 PKX so i gather NK05 GWY is still at jesmond
(16 Sep 2015, 12:49 pm)buss14 wrote just notced ashington still has LF02 PKX so i gather NK05 GWY is still at jesmond

We still have 7492, you reported 7446 on the 35 the other day, so we have both 7445/6 now.

Jesmond are yet to collect 7492.
(16 Sep 2015, 10:35 am)Mark P wrote Forgive my ignorance but surely that should have been done before the service was registered. What happens if a "risk" is identified now that can't be "fixed" before the service starts?

*like*!
(16 Sep 2015, 1:24 pm)Cock Robin wrote *like*!

sorry about that realise we had NK05 GWY because i have not seen it yet but i might in due time
(16 Sep 2015, 2:29 pm)NK53 TKT wrote For those of you who are wondering
This is the new Quorum Shuttle branding

That car stuck to the side of it looks a bit cumbersome Wink
(16 Sep 2015, 2:24 pm)Jimmi wrote Was in Durham for around half an hour and I don't think I saw a single driver on the Sapphire 6, 22 or 24 wearing a Sapphire uniform.

There'd be hell on if a Darlington 7 was driven by an incorrectly uniformed driver.
(16 Sep 2015, 4:19 pm)MrPottski wrote There'd be hell on if a Darlington 7 was driven by an incorrectly uniformed driver.

Not surprised to hear this given that I have very rarely seen a Darlington driver on the 7 in the usual Arriva uniform and one of the few times I have seen this happen the 7's were running extremely late due to roadworks in Darlington one day, so it wouldn't have surprised me if this was a different driver getting shoved out due to delays.

Belmont are terrible for it, I can pretty much guarantee that if you go to Durham will see a driver on their services 6, 22 or 24 wearing the normal uniform. Often see Redcar drivers on the X3/X3A/X4 in the normal uniform as well.
(16 Sep 2015, 4:31 pm)Jimmi wrote Not surprised to hear this given that I have very rarely seen a Darlington driver on the 7 in the usual Arriva uniform and one of the few times I have seen this happen the 7's were running extremely late due to roadworks in Darlington one day, so it wouldn't have surprised me if this was a different driver getting shoved out due to delays.

Belmont are terrible for it, I can pretty much guarantee that if you go to Durham will see a driver on their services 6, 22 or 24 wearing the normal uniform. Often see Redcar drivers on the X3/X3A/X4 in the normal uniform as well.

Ashington drivers if they're driving on Sapphires, have to wear Sapphire uniform or contact the depot manager. This is only a recent development after some git kept claiming free vouchers over tiny things like drivers not wearing their Sapphire name badge etc.

I believe that drivers have to buy their uniform...
(16 Sep 2015, 6:03 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Ashington drivers if they're driving on Sapphires, have to wear Sapphire uniform or contact the depot manager. This is only a recent development after some git kept claiming free vouchers over tiny things like drivers not wearing their Sapphire name badge etc.

I doubt that mind.
(16 Sep 2015, 6:04 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Sorry if it's been mentioned, but why do some Arriva vehicles have a heart on the front?
I think it was part of scheme between Arriva and Connect Tees Valley, something to do with the services that went down North Road in Darlington, the Darts, Pulsars and a few other buses based at Darlington at the time got them. I remember getting a leaflet saying "Love the Bus" with a heart on it and info about North Road services. I think it mainly went on the 5/5A, 7, 8/8A with the buses getting air fresheners inside.
(16 Sep 2015, 6:11 pm)Jimmi wrote I think it was part of scheme between Arriva and Connect Tees Valley, something to do with the services that went down North Road in Darlington, the Darts, Pulsars and a few other buses based at Darlington at the time got them. I remember getting a leaflet saying "Love the Bus" with a heart on it and info about North Road services. I think it mainly went on the 7, 8/8A with the buses getting air fresheners.
If anyone is wondering what the "heart" is, see the linked photo below, look next to the lights.
https://flic.kr/p/sTuJoH
(16 Sep 2015, 6:11 pm)Jimmi wrote I think it was part of scheme between Arriva and Connect Tees Valley, something to do with the services that went down North Road in Darlington, the Darts, Pulsars and a few other buses based at Darlington at the time got them. I remember getting a leaflet saying "Love the Bus" with a heart on it and info about North Road services. I think it mainly went on the 5/5A, 7, 8/8A with the buses getting air fresheners inside.

Now I would have complained about an air freshener in a bus. Horribly allergic. I'd probably have coughed and sneezed all over the driver.
(16 Sep 2015, 6:03 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Ashington drivers if they're driving on Sapphires, have to wear Sapphire uniform or contact the depot manager. This is only a recent development after some git kept claiming free vouchers over tiny things like drivers not wearing their Sapphire name badge etc.

Bet it was you. Tongue
(16 Sep 2015, 6:46 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Now I would have complained about an air freshener in a bus. Horribly allergic. I'd probably have coughed and sneezed all over the driver.

There was actually complaints in the Northern Echo about these air fresheners with people saying about it could cause issues for those with allergies. Don't think the air fresheners ever actually worked, the Darts still smelt awful most of the time.

I believe as part of the "Love the Bus" scheme they added the air fresheners, added the hearts to the front of the buses and made the wheels look shiney. They also claimed something about "improved seating" even though they did nothing to them.

This whole scheme proved to be controversial especially once they sent leaflets to the people of Brafferton who lost their Arriva bus service sometime before this so a leaflet advertising frequent buses to a village who now have to walk about half a mile to the nearest bus stop was going to attract some criticism.

This whole thing was a pointless waste of money as it was implemented just before 1506-1511 arrived for the 5/5A and the Darts only had a few more months on the 7 before the upgrade to Sapphire. Of course some of the buses fitted with these "features" left Darlington with some of the buses moving elsewhere in the North East.
(16 Sep 2015, 6:11 pm)citaro5284 wrote I doubt that mind.

Definitely not - have to put an order in but company pays for it...

(16 Sep 2015, 6:58 pm)Jimmi wrote There was actually complaints in the Northern Echo about these air fresheners with people saying about it could cause issues for those with allergies. Don't think the air fresheners ever actually worked, the Darts still smelt awful most of the time.

I believe as part of the "Love the Bus" scheme they added the air fresheners, added the hearts to the front of the buses and made the wheels look shiney. They also claimed something about "improved seating" even though they did nothing to them.

This whole scheme proved to be controversial especially once they sent leaflets to the people of Brafferton who lost their Arriva bus service sometime before this so a leaflet advertising frequent buses to a village who now have to walk about half a mile to the nearest bus stop was going to attract some criticism.

This whole thing was a pointless waste of money as it was implemented just before 1506-1511 arrived for the 5/5A and the Darts only had a few more months on the 7 before the upgrade to Sapphire. Of course some of the buses fitted with these "features" left Darlington with some of the buses moving elsewhere in the North East.

You're spot on with it being a North Road based scheme. Several of the Pulsars still carry their hearts, as indeed do the (few) remaining Darts... including 1492 at Stockton.

EDIT: It's a year today since we started Sapphire at Stockton - pleased to have been part of the team for the whole year... We're busier than ever at the moment and the lead upto Christmas could prove to be very interesting!...
If any of you were wondering, our Streetlites are hitting about 80000 miles at the moment so that's probably a rough yearly mileage on service 5/5a for you...

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(15 Sep 2015, 9:22 am)GX03 SVC wrote It's a staged incident. It happened on Park Road, Ashington (near where Marcus and Adrian got off the 35). Arriva got paid for the 'incident'. 

I highly doubt that Vinnie Jones would be in a police car on the Spine Road "ten minutes away" when this happened.  Wink 

Also, they film the criminal running down my street.... on the other side of Ashington...

(15 Sep 2015, 10:28 am)Snex wrote I've been around here for awhile just like to see what's happening in the area as I find it quite interesting but never really had anything to post.

But just had to say this happened on Woodhorn Road outside of Sports Direct / Co-op Building and, if you watch it, the route he takes does make sense. Definitely wasn't Park Road.

http://www.channel5.com/shows/police-int...sode-1-816 - Can see it there for those interested in it, it's on at around 3 mins 30 secs.

Looks like he was on the Spine Road near the Three Horse Shoes by the bridges aswell. I'm not saying it's not staged tho, wouldn't surprise me one bit on channel 5.

I had the same thought, that the program could be staged... I didn't actually think it as I watched the bit with the Arriva Bus incident. However later in the show when they pulled over the Motorbiker for speeding along the A189 Spine Road, they stopped him on the SB Exit slip for Sleekburn & Cambois, I started to wonder... as the Police officer and later Vinnie stood at the kerb edge of the slip road, not one vehicle passed by... then if you watch the program just after the Biker pulls away from Vinnie and the Police officer, (just after the 18 minute mark of the show) if you watch the top of the slip road, there is a car at the top and as the Biker gets to the top, there are another 2 Police officers or 2 guys in Hi-Vis waving him thru. Why would there be another couple of Police officers at the top of the Slip road? Could this just be the end of the scene?
Anyway, if you also took notice of the start credits, it shows Vinnie standing at an RTA, this RTA was on the Sleekburn to Cambois Road, at the top of the same Slip road that was featured with the speeding Biker. This RTA was not shown in the actual show. Now putting two and two together with these two incidents is what set me away thinking was the program staged! Also although there is a fair amount of traffic use this road and slip road, its not actually a busy road and could easily be closed for an hour or so to stage an incident. I'm not 100% sure, but it did make me wonder!
(16 Sep 2015, 6:48 pm)R852 PRG wrote Bet it was you. Tongue

No no   Big Grin , someone from Bedlington claims them. Drivers say that she asks where's their tie or badge and if the sockets and WiFi is working when she boards, and why the floor isn't sparkly anymore. She also complains about how the photos on the staircase should be about Northumberland..... She only uses the bus to get to the other side of Bedlington.

I've already had two free DaySavers, don't need any useless tickets which knock £1.90 off a return fare...

So you can claim a free voucher for spotting these things? Dodgy
(16 Sep 2015, 6:11 pm)Jimmi wrote I think it was part of scheme between Arriva and Connect Tees Valley, something to do with the services that went down North Road in Darlington, the Darts, Pulsars and a few other buses based at Darlington at the time got them. I remember getting a leaflet saying "Love the Bus" with a heart on it and info about North Road services. I think it mainly went on the 5/5A, 7, 8/8A with the buses getting air fresheners inside.

They could have done with them on the 6 to Stilly!
thought i would note i did see a arriva liveried volvo b7TL gemini sorry i dont know the reg because there was no plates on the bus. it was in thorntons near the ack but could ave been moved now
(16 Sep 2015, 10:35 am)Mark P wrote Forgive my ignorance but surely that should have been done before the service was registered. What happens if a "risk" is identified now that can't be "fixed" before the service starts?

The idea of route risk assessments is to keep drivers updated on parts of routes that could be hotspots for incidents, like difficult junctions, bus stop poles too close to kerbs that could lead to a bus mirror hitting it if care is not taken, etc. Each depot has these available for every route and are updated as necessary. As the X67 brings new parts to Darlington drivers and X66/X67 a lot of new roads for Stockton drivers, it helps that they are made aware of what to look out for before driving it. Before a service is registered, it is always checked that it is bus-friendly, however some issues only come to light after operations start. Darlington drivers are going to have to get used to Mandale Road in Thornaby where many vehicles have pulled out of the estate and collided with Arriva and Stagecoach buses over the past few years. Stockton drivers are well aware of the risk, but Darlington drivers will see the route risk assessment as a helpful hint.

1410 was out for that reason as Stockton drivers did the X66 into Darlington and the X67 out as far as the bypass, then turned round and did the reverse loop. You will see many more of these journeys in the lead-up to the launch.

Darlington drivers are likely to do the same with Hartburn being new to most.
(17 Sep 2015, 7:59 pm)MrPottski wrote Any idea why 1599 has lost its near side Sapphire branding?

That's the one that had 3 big gouges down the side of it, last week. Looked like it had argued with a stone wall or something.
Bringing this across from the Rare & Odd workings thread....

(17 Sep 2015, 4:59 pm)aureolin wrote Durham are getting another Gemini for the X12...?

Yes Durham are getting a spare Gemini for the X12. There is a VLW under refurb at Thorntons at present into MAX spec, which in turn should displace a Gemini from Blyth to Durham.

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

(16 Sep 2015, 4:31 pm)Jimmi wrote Not surprised to hear this given that I have very rarely seen a Darlington driver on the 7 in the usual Arriva uniform and one of the few times I have seen this happen the 7's were running extremely late due to roadworks in Darlington one day, so it wouldn't have surprised me if this was a different driver getting shoved out due to delays.

The main reason for the lack of uniform is because Durham now have almost 100 lines on the Sapphire rota, so the amount of spare drivers needed has increased too (most of which don't have Sapphire uniform)
(17 Sep 2015, 9:26 pm)BusLoverMum wrote That's the one that had 3 big gouges down the side of it, last week. Looked like it had argued with a stone wall or something.

No gouges this week, so new panels must have been fitted. Guess their sticker book is empty!