Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5724

Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5724

Go North East: Service Suggestions | North East Buses

Skip to main content

Go North East: Service Suggestions

Go North East: Service Suggestions

CatsFast101
Unregistered
RE: Go North East Service Suggestions
This thread makes me laugh. Without sounding too bitchy or disrespectful, a member comes on and puts on a very viable service suggestion, by all means no ones saying its a fantastic idea but certainly a very fesiable and logically suggestion and then people start suggesting 'If there's any demand' when the same people will put totally fantasy suggestions like linking Washington & Winlaton via Here there and every where! Pot calling the kettle black springs to mind..
(14 Sep 2013, 9:13 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote I like the Idea, but is there any demand for the 8 on a night after 6pm between Washington and Chester le Street. I remember there used to be an 8 on a Sunday a few years back using WSS MPD's, perhaps on a Sunday would be better.

I'd say so between The Galleries and Rickleton. The riverside gets more than enough local custom throughout the week for the demand to be there. To Chester may be a bit light, but you'd still get a handful I think.

That 8 using the WSS used to be every evening. I used to use that, but now I tend to stay on the 21 to Birtley and use the Arriva M2/M3 to the Galleries. Surprisingly there's quite a few people do the same thing, as I tend to see the same faces every time I travel back at that time.

Drew up some sample running times below. I've marked these clearly as bus A, B and C based on a PVR of 3. Where I've got the Heworth - Chester runs with '----', I'd propose that journey ran off at Fallowfield Way rather than the Galleries.

[Image: uUvrqlr.png]
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(14 Sep 2013, 9:58 pm)aureolin wrote I'd say so between The Galleries and Rickleton. The riverside gets more than enough local custom throughout the week for the demand to be there. To Chester may be a bit light, but you'd still get a handful I think.

That 8 using the WSS used to be every evening. I used to use that, but now I tend to stay on the 21 to Birtley and use the Arriva M2/M3 to the Galleries. Surprisingly there's quite a few people do the same thing, as I tend to see the same faces every time I travel back at that time.

Drew up some sample running times below. I've marked these clearly as bus A, B and C based on a PVR of 3. Where I've got the Heworth - Chester runs with '----', I'd propose that journey ran off at Fallowfield Way rather than the Galleries.

[Image: uUvrqlr.png]

It was the bit to Chester I wasn't to sure on, although like you said it may get used by the Clubbers down on the Riverside at the Weekend if they fancy going elsewhere.
(14 Sep 2013, 10:07 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote It was the bit to Chester I wasn't to sure on, although like you said it may get used by the Clubbers down on the Riverside at the Weekend if they fancy going elsewhere.

It's more so the folk that get in the club I was thinking about, but my other train of thought, out of experience, is the amount of people that travel from the river bar/havelock/biddick inn to Concord and vice versa actually. Going the other way, the Sunderland link is already there with the 2C. I know people will probably say taxis etc, but like eezypeazy said, we should be encouraging people to use buses. Wink
(14 Sep 2013, 9:54 pm)CatsFast101 wrote This thread makes me laugh. Without sounding too bitchy or disrespectful, a member comes on and puts on a very viable service suggestion, by all means no ones saying its a fantastic idea but certainly a very fesiable and logically suggestion and then people start suggesting 'If there's any demand' when the same people will put totally fantasy suggestions like linking Washington & Winlaton via Here there and every where! Pot calling the kettle black springs to mind..

it's all Fantasy at the end of day and it's an excellent Thread for Discussion for members of the forum. Yeah some ideas I'll admit maybe over the top at times, and I'll admit I have done a few myself over the past few months. But unlike most members I actually put a lot of thought/time and effort into putting my suggestions together, in which I have been praised for in the past few weeks by a few members. Take my Q3 Suggestion as an example.

If you think some suggestions are laughable then why don't you make a few yourself and we'll see how laughable your suggestions are, otherwise just don't bother looking at this thread if all your going to do is criticise other members Ideas.
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(14 Sep 2013, 10:28 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote it's all Fantasy at the end of day and it's an excellent Thread for Discussion for members of the forum. Yeah some ideas I'll admit maybe over the top at times, and I'll admit I have done a few myself over the past few months. But unlike most members I actually put a lot of thought/time and effort into putting my suggestions together, in which I have been praised for in the past few weeks by a few members. Take my Q3 Suggestion as an example.

If you think some suggestions are laughable then why don't you make a few yourself and we'll see how laughable your suggestions are, otherwise just don't bother looking at this thread if all your going to do is criticise other members Ideas.

I'm not critising all members, I'm critising a select few. Who are living on another planet when putting suggestions up such as yourself Adam, I'm sorry but 90% of your suggestions are complete fantasy, I'd love to know the thought process behind them. I just think, fair enough debate and discuss others suggestions, I just thought you of all people to come and ask if a service is viable is astounding.

I'm not going to comment any further on this, as I don't want a thread to be taken over with two members bickering, lets just move on.
I think the North Tyne Links brand could be changed:

40/41 - Wallsend-Hadrian Park-Wallsend (Half-Hourly)
40A - Wallsend-Hadrian Park-Cobalt South-North Shields (Half-Hourly)
41A - Wallsend-Hadrian Park-Cobalt-Rake Lane-Preston Grange-Marden Estate-Whitley Bay (Half Hourly)
80/80A - North Shields-Linskill Terrace-Tynemouth-Preston Grange-Rake Lane-Billy Mill-North Shields (Half Hourly, both directions)

40 and 41 would remain unchanged, but run half-hourly. However, service 40A would provide a 15-minute frequency between Wallsend, Battle Hill and Hadrian Park, and service 41A would provide a 15 minute frequency between Wallsend, Howdon and Hadrian Park. A fantastic number of new links would be provided for Hadrian Park.

Service 80 would be replaced by service 41A between Wallsend and Rake Lane, and by new 80 and 80A services between Rake Lane and North Shields.
Wonder what option's people would of had if the 20/35 changes went ahead as GNE wanted them to.

Such as the 20 extending to South Shields - replacing the 35 - route would of taken 88 mins - PVR would of being 18 - if kept at every 10 mins.

35 - i think was run from Park lane to South Moosley etc only- remaining 10 mins - this could of being spilt.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(15 Sep 2013, 5:30 pm)Michael wrote Wonder what option's people would of had if the 20/35 changes went ahead as GNE wanted them to.

Such as the 20 extending to South Shields - replacing the 35 - route would of taken 88 mins - PVR would of being 18 - if kept at every 10 mins.

35 - i think was run from Park lane to South Moosley etc only- remaining 10 mins - this could of being spilt.

It would have been interesting to say the least, considering the reliability of the Solars on the 20 as of late. Tongue It was an insane suggestion by them to have such an unrealistic route. Durham already has a 30 minute frequency to Shields and I can't see it needing more than that!
(15 Sep 2013, 6:07 pm)aureolin wrote It would have been interesting to say the least, considering the reliability of the Solars on the 20 as of late. Tongue It was an insane suggestion by them to have such an unrealistic route. Durham already has a 30 minute frequency to Shields and I can't see it needing more than that!

Consulation, everybody should know that bus companies would put red herrings in consulations

Current Form

40 Wallsend - Station Road - High Farm - Battle Hill Drive - Hadrian Park

58 - Hadrian Park - Battle Hill Drive - Coast Road - Newcastle - Gateshead - Felling - Leam Lane Estate - Heworth

New Form

X58 - Cobalt - Battle Hill Drive - Coast Road - Newcastle Eldon Square - Gateshead - Felling - Heworth - Every 30 Minutes

58 - Hadrian Park - Battle Hill Drive - High Farm - Station Road - Wallsend - Byker - Newcastle - Gateshead - Felling - Leam Lane Estate - Heworth - Every 10 Minutes to Newcastle - Every 20 Minutes to Hadrian Park
‘’Red Arrows’’ Service Change Suggestion

Service X1 would operate every 15 mins from Newcastle to Houghton, but will now only operate every 30 minutes to Hetton and Easington Lane. However, there would still be a regular service to Washington and Hetton, provided by a new ‘’Red Arrows’’ service X4, operating from Newcastle to Seaham via Gateshead, Washington, Houghton, Hetton and Murton. The X4 and 265 will provide a more regular link between Hetton and Seaham. The X4 will run fast from Newcastle to Washington only stopping at Gateshead.

e.g Departures from Eldon Square
X1 – Easington Lane (05)
X1 – Houghton (20)
X4 – Seaham (27)
X1 – Easington Lane (35)
X1 – Houghton (50)
X4 – Seaham (57)
Marxista Fozzski
(15 Sep 2013, 5:30 pm)Michael wrote Wonder what option's people would of had if the 20/35 changes went ahead as GNE wanted them to.

Did GNE not once run a Durham-Sunderland-South Shields service about 15 years ago, I'm sure it was the X20, I am sure the Durham-Shields service was X20 and X50 with the X20 going to Sunderland and the X50 being what is todays 50 running half hourly combined between Durham and Shields...I'm thinking late 90's when I was living in Durham

(17 Sep 2013, 3:52 pm)W179SCU wrote ‘’Red Arrows’’ Service Change Suggestion

Service X1 would operate every 15 mins from Newcastle to Houghton, but will now only operate every 30 minutes to Hetton and Easington Lane. However, there would still be a regular service to Washington and Hetton, provided by a new ‘’Red Arrows’’ service X4, operating from Newcastle to Seaham via Gateshead, Washington, Houghton, Hetton and Murton. The X4 and 265 will provide a more regular link between Hetton and Seaham. The X4 will run fast from Newcastle to Washington only stopping at Gateshead.

e.g Departures from Eldon Square
X1 – Easington Lane (05)
X1 – Houghton (20)
X4 – Seaham (27)
X1 – Easington Lane (35)
X1 – Houghton (50)
X4 – Seaham (57)

Interesting, I would love to see better connections with Newcastle coming through Murton, but would it be worth a half hourly service, I'm not so sure, but in my mind I was thinking something like extend 1 X1 an hour to Dalton Park splitting off at Hetton, leaving Easington Lane with a 12 minute service. Other ideas I had are probably not so good, extend the Newcastle bound X3 or X36 to Dalton Park running limited stop between Park Lane and Dalton Park or a new East Durham Run Service

Murton-Dalton Park-Seaham-Seaton Lane-A19-Heworth-Gateshead-Newcastle 1p/h

I think the best Murton can hope for would be better bus links going into Dalton Park, demand rising once Phase 2 is built and the best we would ever probably get if demand is there and then it would be probably one X7 or one X9 or X10 per hour.

The old argument of good connections already comes up, East Durham is well connected to Newcastle,

202/265 half hourly combined to Easington Lane/Hetton
60 every 10 minutes Seaham-Sunderland
61 every 15 minutes Murton-Sunderland

Both Easington Lane/Hetton and Sunderland see a regular service to Newcastle and that seems to be GNE's justification for not putting on services between Seaham/Murton to Newcastle
Yeah, there was an X20 Durham - Shields (via Sunderland) and the X50 Durham - Shields (via Washington).

The last vehicles running the service, were bought specially, due to the success of the service.

After a short while, the services were cancelled.
The vehicles which were bought, are currently on the tynedale express, via Prince Bishops Swift, Prince Bishops and OK branding.

I wonder how much paint has been wasted on those vehicles? They must be an inch wider than the dimensions with all those coats of paint! Wink
(17 Sep 2013, 4:11 pm)fozzovmurton wrote Did GNE not once run a Durham-Sunderland-South Shields service about 15 years ago, I'm sure it was the X20, I am sure the Durham-Shields service was X20 and X50 with the X20 going to Sunderland and the X50 being what is todays 50 running half hourly combined between Durham and Shields...I'm thinking late 90's when I was living in Durham

Interesting, I would love to see better connections with Newcastle coming through Murton, but would it be worth a half hourly service, I'm not so sure, but in my mind I was thinking something like extend 1 X1 an hour to Dalton Park splitting off at Hetton, leaving Easington Lane with a 12 minute service. Other ideas I had are probably not so good, extend the Newcastle bound X3 or X36 to Dalton Park running limited stop between Park Lane and Dalton Park or a new East Durham Run Service

Murton-Dalton Park-Seaham-Seaton Lane-A19-Heworth-Gateshead-Newcastle 1p/h

I think the best Murton can hope for would be better bus links going into Dalton Park, demand rising once Phase 2 is built and the best we would ever probably get if demand is there and then it would be probably one X7 or one X9 or X10 per hour.

The old argument of good connections already comes up, East Durham is well connected to Newcastle,

202/265 half hourly combined to Easington Lane/Hetton
60 every 10 minutes Seaham-Sunderland
61 every 15 minutes Murton-Sunderland

Both Easington Lane/Hetton and Sunderland see a regular service to Newcastle and that seems to be GNE's justification for not putting on services between Seaham/Murton to Newcastle

Yeah, but the X4 wouldn't just provide links for Seaham/Murton, it would provide a faster, express from Newcastle to Washington. Not sure if a direct Newcastle-Washington service, omitting Gateshead would be more beneficial?
(17 Sep 2013, 4:16 pm)Andreos1 wrote Yeah, there was an X20 Durham - Shields (via Sunderland) and the X50 Durham - Shields (via Washington).

The last vehicles running the service, were bought specially, due to the success of the service.

The vehicles which were bought, are currently on the tynedale express, via Prince Bishops Swift, Prince Bishops and OK branding.

I wonder how much paint has been wasted on those vehicles? They must be an inch wider than the dimensions with all those coats of paint! Wink

I remember in the early 90's when Goahead was on strike and the 3 county durham independent each put a bus on to run a service Sunderland to Durham and when Goahead came back on running the 220 only 1 of the independent operators pulled off and Goahead put a 220 on using the VFM brand at Shields depot running from South Shields-Sunderland-Durham using anything from a dart to a coach on.

Marxista Fozzski
(17 Sep 2013, 4:28 pm)W179SCU wrote Yeah, but the X4 wouldn't just provide links for Seaham/Murton, it would provide a faster, express from Newcastle to Washington. Not sure if a direct Newcastle-Washington service, omitting Gateshead would be more beneficial?

Never thought of it like that to be honest mate...

A service omitting Gateshead, interesting, when I think about it, is every service leaving the Town obligated to stop at Gateshead, just thinking of your idea and adding to it

how does this sound, keeping with your original half hourly idea

X4 Newcastle-Heworth-Concord-Waterview-A19-Seaton Lane-Seaham-Dalton Park-Murton 1ph

X5 Newcastle-Heworth-Concord-Galleries-Houghton-Hetton-Murton-Dalton Park-Seaham 1ph

Just out of interest would your idea be a plain old Red Northern Operation, an extension of the Metrolink/Red Arrows or would it be part of an extended Peterlee operation like the WTX?
Marxista Fozzski
(17 Sep 2013, 4:16 pm)Andreos1 wrote Yeah, there was an X20 Durham - Shields (via Sunderland) and the X50 Durham - Shields (via Washington).

Which way did it from Sunderland to Shields, did it go down the Coast or did it follow the 35?

(17 Sep 2013, 4:30 pm)cbma06 wrote I remember in the early 90's when Goahead was on strike and the 3 county durham independent each put a bus on to run a service Sunderland to Durham and when Goahead came back on running the 220 only 1 of the independent operators pulled off and Goahead put a 220 on using the VFM brand at Shields depot running from South Shields-Sunderland-Durham using anything from a dart to a coach on.

If I remember correctly was it Bells, Gardiners and Scarlet Band or possibly OK what ran the 220, and was the 222 part of Go Aheads response to that, I remember Bleanch's Coaches of Hetton running the 154 and again if my memory serves me correct, Bleanch's continued afterwards and Go Ahead under the Wear Buses operation responded by putting on the 254.
(17 Sep 2013, 7:44 pm)fozzovmurton wrote Never thought of it like that to be honest mate...

A service omitting Gateshead, interesting, when I think about it, is every service leaving the Town obligated to stop at Gateshead, just thinking of your idea and adding to it

how does this sound, keeping with your original half hourly idea

X4 Newcastle-Heworth-Concord-Waterview-A19-Seaton Lane-Seaham-Dalton Park-Murton 1ph

X5 Newcastle-Heworth-Concord-Galleries-Houghton-Hetton-Murton-Dalton Park-Seaham 1ph

Just out of interest would your idea be a plain old Red Northern Operation, an extension of the Metrolink/Red Arrows or would it be part of an extended Peterlee operation like the WTX?

Probably just ''Red Arrows'' if I were to go with my idea, but if I went with your idea your Red Northern Wink

I like your idea actually, in addition, it would provide a number of links for Washington, which will be good because they are getting a redevelopment as you all know!
Marxista Fozzski
(17 Sep 2013, 7:48 pm)W179SCU wrote Probably just ''Red Arrows'' if I were to go with my idea, but if I went with your idea your Red Northern Wink

I like your idea actually, in addition, it would provide a number of links for Washington, which will be good because they are getting a redevelopment as you all know!

Not quite all Tongue what redevelopment would that be Big Grin
(17 Sep 2013, 7:45 pm)fozzovmurton wrote Which way did it from Sunderland to Shields, did it go down the Coast or did it follow the 35?

If I remember correctly was it Bells, Gardiners and Scarlet Band or possibly OK what ran the 220, and was the 222 part of Go Aheads response to that, I remember Bleanch's Coaches of Hetton running the 154 and again if my memory serves me correct, Bleanch's continued afterwards and Go Ahead under the Wear Buses operation responded by putting on the 254.

the 220 and X20 used to go along the 535 route, there was always arriving at Shields the same time as the 535. the X20 wasn't picking up anybody between Sunderland and Shields that's why it was withdrawn along that section.

The buses that was used on the X20/X50 combi was the ex OK dafs 4801 etc.... with the high seat backs, remembered when OK used them on the 161 series.

yep, those were the 3 independants that ran the 220 while Goahead was on strike, When Goahead came back on doing the 220 Gardiners came off the 220 and Bell Bros and Scarlet band stayed on but had to change the service from 220 to 222 as the service went via Hall Lane estate, then later on there both conceded running the service as Goahead had a couple of duplicates running in front of there bus services, the 222 was put back on as Hall Lane estate residents wanted the direct service to Sunderland 222 to be put back on, so half the 220 turned into service 222, this probably ended the eventful demise of service 141.

Yep, I remember the Wear Buses 254 metro riders from Sunderland to Durham, when Bleanches did the 154 Wear Buses extended the 154 to Sunderland and ran it every 30 minutes timed in front of Bleanches 154, I remember Bleanches Coaches doing the secured work around Murton and Seaham at the time of GNE strike. Murton had a good service one upon a time, never lasts though.

Marxista Fozzski
(17 Sep 2013, 7:48 pm)W179SCU wrote Probably just ''Red Arrows'' if I were to go with my idea, but if I went with your idea your Red Northern Wink

Been thinking about this some more and how does this sound, keeping your half hourly link with East Durham in mind instead of Newcastle why not have one go from the MetroCentre either

X4/X5 MetroCentre-Washington-Houghton-Hetton-Murton-Dalton Park-Seaham 1ph

or

New X88 MetroCentre-Washington-Concord-Sulgrave-Nissan-A19-Seaton Lane-Seaham-Dalton Park-Murton

I am even creating some timetables to see what the service would look like Wink
Here is a timetable for a new X4 idea:
Newcastle, Eldon Square: 00, 30
Washington Galleries: 22, 52 (via A1)
Barmston A1231 Slip Rd: 27
Waterview Park: 30
Seaham: [/align] 52 (via A19)
Seaham Station Road: 57
Dalton Park: 01 (via Church Lane)
East Moor Estate: 03
Murton Colliery Inn: 05
Murton Station Estate: 11
Easington Lane Clock: 17
South Hetton: 22

South Hetton: 27
Easington Lane Clock: 32
Murton Station Estate: 36
Murton Colliery Inn: 42
East Moor Estate: 44
Dalton Park: 46
Seaham Station Road: 50 (via Church Lane)
Seaham: 54
Waterview Park: 12 (via A19)
Barmston A1231 Slip Rd:15
Washington Galleries: 24 54
Newcastle, Eldon Square: 46 16

It's a bit hard to understand, but basically, there will be a half hourly express service from Newcastle to Washington, then a hourly service onwards to South Hetton. The PVR would be 4.
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(18 Sep 2013, 5:52 pm)W179SCU wrote Here is a timetable for a new X4 idea:
Newcastle, Eldon Square: 00, 30
Washington Galleries: 22, 52 (via A1)
Barmston A1231 Slip Rd: 27
Waterview Park: 30
Seaham: [/align] 52 (via A19)
Seaham Station Road: 57
Dalton Park: 01 (via Church Lane)
East Moor Estate: 03
Murton Colliery Inn: 05
Murton Station Estate: 11
Easington Lane Clock: 17
South Hetton: 22

South Hetton: 27
Easington Lane Clock: 32
Murton Station Estate: 36
Murton Colliery Inn: 42
East Moor Estate: 44
Dalton Park: 46
Seaham Station Road: 50 (via Church Lane)
Seaham: 54
Waterview Park: 12 (via A19)
Barmston A1231 Slip Rd:15
Washington Galleries: 24 54
Newcastle, Eldon Square: 46 16

It's a bit hard to understand, but basically, there will be a half hourly express service from Newcastle to Washington, then a hourly service onwards to South Hetton. The PVR would be 4.

Nice idea. I do like it, would terminating in Murton reduce the PVR? I was just thinking maybe running Dalton Park-Church Lane-Barnes Road-Woods Terrace then layover at Woods Terrace before departing through to Newcastle. With an X1 round to South Hetton, once an hour.
(18 Sep 2013, 8:08 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Nice idea. I do like it, would terminating in Murton reduce the PVR? I was just thinking maybe running Dalton Park-Church Lane-Barnes Road-Woods Terrace then layover at Woods Terrace before departing through to Newcastle. With an X1 round to South Hetton, once an hour.

Thanks Big Grin - No, it wouldn't. If it terminated in Murton it would get a 30 minute layover. I made a mistake in the timetable, so the short X4 would get 6 mins layover at Washington, rather than 2, with 10 at Newcastle.

What do you think the service would be operate with at first if it was introduced?
(19 Sep 2013, 2:54 pm)W179SCU wrote Thanks Big Grin - No, it wouldn't. If it terminated in Murton it would get a 30 minute layover. I made a mistake in the timetable, so the short X4 would get 6 mins layover at Washington, rather than 2, with 10 at Newcastle.

What do you think the service would be operate with at first if it was introduced?

Without looking at the timetables, would it be quicker to Easington Lane or pretty much the same as the X1?
There won't be much in it, which is why I thought the idea of it terminating in Murton or going elsewhere could be a better alternative.
(19 Sep 2013, 2:57 pm)Andreos1 wrote Without looking at the timetables, would it be quicker to Easington Lane or pretty much the same as the X1?
There won't be much in it, which is why I thought the idea of it terminating in Murton or going elsewhere could be a better alternative.

About 5-10 minutes slower. Any ideas where else it could go?
(19 Sep 2013, 2:58 pm)W179SCU wrote About 5-10 minutes slower. Any ideas where else it could go?

I'm racking my brains.

Easington Lane has a stack of services already and is already linked to Murton and South Hetton (granted South Hetton lost its link to Newcastle a few years ago).

Could it terminate at Hetton or Low Moorsley?
Do a circuit around Eppleton?
Are there parts of Seaham or Dawdon it could go to and terminate at Murton?