Menu

North East Buses The Canteen Off-topic bus chat Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

Bus Related Outings and Reviews

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average

Pages (239) Previous 1179 180 181239 Next
S813 FVK

18 Oct 2015, 8:08 pm #3,581
(18 Oct 2015, 8:05 pm)Jimmi What was the S2?

Ran from the Metrocentre to the Watermark (the business park with the ITV Tyne Tees Studios in).

[Image: 14168347660_84f234519c.jpg]Watermark: 600 (NK54 DFA) by simply|buses, on Flickr
Edited 18 Oct 2015, 8:22 pm by S813 FVK.
S813 FVK
18 Oct 2015, 8:08 pm #3,581

(18 Oct 2015, 8:05 pm)Jimmi What was the S2?

Ran from the Metrocentre to the Watermark (the business park with the ITV Tyne Tees Studios in).

[Image: 14168347660_84f234519c.jpg]Watermark: 600 (NK54 DFA) by simply|buses, on Flickr

BusLoverMum

18 Oct 2015, 9:28 pm #3,582
GX03 SVC "The driver managed to get it up to 20mph up to Birtley via all stops"

most of that road through Birtley has a 20mph limit.

Jimmi "Mon 26th: GNE changes - Lanchester, Stanley, Metrocentre, Newcastle and also the new Arriva X66/X67."

Big'un's keen to do the new Stanley routes ASAP, too. I'll have both boys on half term that day (big'un's off this week coming, but littl'un isn't so e only get one big day out as littl'un has a hospital appointment one day and Husband will collect him from school early, that day). I'll make sure I introduce us all, if we bump into you, this time. Big'un's social anxiety is such that he'll probably leg it. Littl'un will stim and make a lot of noise, but is more sociable.

We are planning a mini arriva day out later next week, mind - 22 to Durham, 57A to Hartlepool, back by whatever we catch to Peterlee, then home again on the 22. Bloody hate Hartlepool, but will pick up some sarnies during our 28 minute wait in Durham and make sure I empty my bladder because I'm not sure where there is, in the centre, now M&S has gone. We can't really be any more adventurous in 5 hours (have gone off the bus stop near the school since some creepy old git with no sense of boundaries invaded my personal space and tried to invite me into his house, so no longer get the just after 9 bus unless I have to).

NK53 TKT "If you want to be shaken to death, use a Toon Link OmniCity"

The best move of the one I caught last Sunday was to slam me against the window! They just rock gently when stationary, though. Unnerving until you get used to it. Big'un and I got the seat behind the first step, near the back, on the Arriva X66 we caught, last Saturday and we did spend some time pondering how the foam cushion on the horrizontal bar would really save your teeth from being smashed in, in a crash, unless you deliberately leaned towards the middle as you were violently thrown forward. The foam (on any of them, Toonlink, Whey-Aye Five-O or Arriva) is barely more than half the width of the pole long!

I used to catch the S1 regularly way, way back, a couple of decades ago, before that ASDA was even built. Not sure who ran it back then, but it was just the one bus doing the rounds, at the time. And it was a mini-bus, of some sort.
BusLoverMum
18 Oct 2015, 9:28 pm #3,582

GX03 SVC "The driver managed to get it up to 20mph up to Birtley via all stops"

Jimmi "Mon 26th: GNE changes - Lanchester, Stanley, Metrocentre, Newcastle and also the new Arriva X66/X67."

Big'un's keen to do the new Stanley routes ASAP, too. I'll have both boys on half term that day (big'un's off this week coming, but littl'un isn't so e only get one big day out as littl'un has a hospital appointment one day and Husband will collect him from school early, that day). I'll make sure I introduce us all, if we bump into you, this time. Big'un's social anxiety is such that he'll probably leg it. Littl'un will stim and make a lot of noise, but is more sociable.

We are planning a mini arriva day out later next week, mind - 22 to Durham, 57A to Hartlepool, back by whatever we catch to Peterlee, then home again on the 22. Bloody hate Hartlepool, but will pick up some sarnies during our 28 minute wait in Durham and make sure I empty my bladder because I'm not sure where there is, in the centre, now M&S has gone. We can't really be any more adventurous in 5 hours (have gone off the bus stop near the school since some creepy old git with no sense of boundaries invaded my personal space and tried to invite me into his house, so no longer get the just after 9 bus unless I have to).

NK53 TKT "If you want to be shaken to death, use a Toon Link OmniCity"

The best move of the one I caught last Sunday was to slam me against the window! They just rock gently when stationary, though. Unnerving until you get used to it. Big'un and I got the seat behind the first step, near the back, on the Arriva X66 we caught, last Saturday and we did spend some time pondering how the foam cushion on the horrizontal bar would really save your teeth from being smashed in, in a crash, unless you deliberately leaned towards the middle as you were violently thrown forward. The foam (on any of them, Toonlink, Whey-Aye Five-O or Arriva) is barely more than half the width of the pole long!

I used to catch the S1 regularly way, way back, a couple of decades ago, before that ASDA was even built. Not sure who ran it back then, but it was just the one bus doing the rounds, at the time. And it was a mini-bus, of some sort.

18 Oct 2015, 9:32 pm #3,583
(18 Oct 2015, 9:28 pm)BusLoverMum GX03 SVC "The driver managed to get it up to 20mph up to Birtley via all stops"

Aye, I know. The bus managed to get itself out of limp mode by Birtley Morrisons from CLS, so on the wrong side of Birtley.  Big Grin
omnicity4659
18 Oct 2015, 9:32 pm #3,583

(18 Oct 2015, 9:28 pm)BusLoverMum GX03 SVC "The driver managed to get it up to 20mph up to Birtley via all stops"

Aye, I know. The bus managed to get itself out of limp mode by Birtley Morrisons from CLS, so on the wrong side of Birtley.  Big Grin

Kuyoyo

18 Oct 2015, 10:14 pm #3,584
I might as well sum up my day yesterday, and do something I've not done before, a bit of commentary on it....

0750 Stillington to Stockton Royal Oak Stagecarriage service 84 - E200 12 (YX14RZG)
Normal day, normal first bus of the day. A bit more rattlely that its sister but it gets me from a to b so I'm not fussed.

0843 Stockton Wellington Square to Newcastle Eldon Square Go North East 'Tyne Tees Express' X10 - B9TL 6048
Nice for a change for this to arrive in Stockton a few minutes before its due time, meaning it actually got to the stand before the 59 due off a minute after. Normal B9 run, and on-time all the way.

1000 Newcastle Haymarket to Blyth Arriva 'MAX' X10 - DB300/Gemini 7608
As I walked up from Eldon Square into Haymarket, one of the newly refurbished Geminis departed for Blyth on one of the Quroum runs, so naturally I was on the first bus to Blyth in pursuit. Thankfully I manage to get the X10 as it doesn't seem to take as long compared to the X11 due to the route in Cramlington (even the route around Newsham doesn't seem as long as the X11 route around Northburn). Arrived in Blyth for the first time since the changes to find the respective Gemini (7602) sat outside the library.

1135 Blyth to Cramlington Manor Walk Shopping Centre Arriva service X9 - Pulsar 1504
After a walk to the front doors of the depot and a few photos, it was time to sample a refurbished Pulsar to sample Thorntons' latest work. Originally intending to go back to Regent Centre, I ended up bailing in Cramlington after passing the other Gemini (7601) at South Beach on a late X7. Bar getting a photo of the other refurbished Pulsar and the Dart on the 58, it ended up being a wasted trip as, Blyth being Blyth, their spare bus was sent out to replace 7601.

1228 Cramlington Manor Walk Shopping Centre to Newcastle Haymarket [b]Arriva 'MAX' X11 - DB300/Gemini 7611[/b]
Another Gemini. This one didn't seem as quick off the mark as 7608 but it still got me into Newcastle on time.

1400 Newcastle Eldon Square to Stockton Church Road [b]Go North East 'Tyne Tees Express' X10 - B9TL 6043[/b]
A text and a phone call off a mate during an hour photoing in Newcastle saw me heading back to Teesside on the next X10 to get some loan Darts. Only one way to describe this journey - roasting!

1521 Stockton to Yarm Medical Centre Arriva Service 7 - Solo 2826
Meeting my mate off a 36 and a quick trip, we ended up on a slightly late running 7 and one of the more reliable Solos at Stockton. The aim was to photo the two Darts then catch at least one of them back. They both ended up going up to Willey Flatts together, so we waited to see which one turned up first...

1627 Yarm Medical Pratice to Stockton Castlegate Centre Arriva Service 7 - Dart SLF/Plaxton Pointer 1303
And 1303 turned up first. Good to get to see first hand how tight it was getting this round the Bridge Road diversion.

1653 Stockton Castlegate Centre to Yarm Bridge Street Arriva Service 7 - Dart SLF/Alexander ALX200 1105
And because we ended up on 1303, we ended up heading back to Yarm. Mainly because one of us (I.e. Me) fluffed photos of the 17s and 1105. Because it was post 1600, the 7 runs on a reduced frequency so this was quite busy. Bailed on Bridge Street to get photos and wait for the 17s.

1724 Yarm Bridge Street to Yarm Spitalfields Arriva Service 17s - Solo 2805
1759 Yarm Spitalfields to Yarm Bridge Street [b]Arriva Service 17s - Solo 2805[/b]
Included these together, as they were basically there and back. Both knowing the lad doing the shuttle, we hoped on to the other end to find out where it had been sitting all day and having a chat (discovering it changed its terminal point due to traffic on its first trip). Photos at dusk in somewhere you don't normally see a Solo or two 17s together.

1803 Yarm Bridge Street to Stockton opposite Castlegate Centre Arriva Service 7 - Solo 2826
Same Solo as earlier after the decision was taken to get back to Stockton rather than waiting for 1105 to work the first 7A into the town.

Upon arrival in town, my mate returned home while I hung around for a while longer (as well as getting some tea). The disappearing Stagecoach Staff Bus was interesting as well.

2122 Stockton Wellington Square to North Tees Hospital Stagecoach 'Connecting The Dots' 59 - E300 27157
Apart from 27249 working the last staff bus, the 'Dots' are radio-less so the older ones are now once again on evening 52s and 58/59/61s. A quiet journey with 8 passengers on from town, ending up with just 2 by Tithe Barn and even then I was the only person to travel the whole route.
Kuyoyo
18 Oct 2015, 10:14 pm #3,584

I might as well sum up my day yesterday, and do something I've not done before, a bit of commentary on it....

0750 Stillington to Stockton Royal Oak Stagecarriage service 84 - E200 12 (YX14RZG)
Normal day, normal first bus of the day. A bit more rattlely that its sister but it gets me from a to b so I'm not fussed.

0843 Stockton Wellington Square to Newcastle Eldon Square Go North East 'Tyne Tees Express' X10 - B9TL 6048
Nice for a change for this to arrive in Stockton a few minutes before its due time, meaning it actually got to the stand before the 59 due off a minute after. Normal B9 run, and on-time all the way.

1000 Newcastle Haymarket to Blyth Arriva 'MAX' X10 - DB300/Gemini 7608
As I walked up from Eldon Square into Haymarket, one of the newly refurbished Geminis departed for Blyth on one of the Quroum runs, so naturally I was on the first bus to Blyth in pursuit. Thankfully I manage to get the X10 as it doesn't seem to take as long compared to the X11 due to the route in Cramlington (even the route around Newsham doesn't seem as long as the X11 route around Northburn). Arrived in Blyth for the first time since the changes to find the respective Gemini (7602) sat outside the library.

1135 Blyth to Cramlington Manor Walk Shopping Centre Arriva service X9 - Pulsar 1504
After a walk to the front doors of the depot and a few photos, it was time to sample a refurbished Pulsar to sample Thorntons' latest work. Originally intending to go back to Regent Centre, I ended up bailing in Cramlington after passing the other Gemini (7601) at South Beach on a late X7. Bar getting a photo of the other refurbished Pulsar and the Dart on the 58, it ended up being a wasted trip as, Blyth being Blyth, their spare bus was sent out to replace 7601.

1228 Cramlington Manor Walk Shopping Centre to Newcastle Haymarket [b]Arriva 'MAX' X11 - DB300/Gemini 7611[/b]
Another Gemini. This one didn't seem as quick off the mark as 7608 but it still got me into Newcastle on time.

1400 Newcastle Eldon Square to Stockton Church Road [b]Go North East 'Tyne Tees Express' X10 - B9TL 6043[/b]
A text and a phone call off a mate during an hour photoing in Newcastle saw me heading back to Teesside on the next X10 to get some loan Darts. Only one way to describe this journey - roasting!

1521 Stockton to Yarm Medical Centre Arriva Service 7 - Solo 2826
Meeting my mate off a 36 and a quick trip, we ended up on a slightly late running 7 and one of the more reliable Solos at Stockton. The aim was to photo the two Darts then catch at least one of them back. They both ended up going up to Willey Flatts together, so we waited to see which one turned up first...

1627 Yarm Medical Pratice to Stockton Castlegate Centre Arriva Service 7 - Dart SLF/Plaxton Pointer 1303
And 1303 turned up first. Good to get to see first hand how tight it was getting this round the Bridge Road diversion.

1653 Stockton Castlegate Centre to Yarm Bridge Street Arriva Service 7 - Dart SLF/Alexander ALX200 1105
And because we ended up on 1303, we ended up heading back to Yarm. Mainly because one of us (I.e. Me) fluffed photos of the 17s and 1105. Because it was post 1600, the 7 runs on a reduced frequency so this was quite busy. Bailed on Bridge Street to get photos and wait for the 17s.

1724 Yarm Bridge Street to Yarm Spitalfields Arriva Service 17s - Solo 2805
1759 Yarm Spitalfields to Yarm Bridge Street [b]Arriva Service 17s - Solo 2805[/b]
Included these together, as they were basically there and back. Both knowing the lad doing the shuttle, we hoped on to the other end to find out where it had been sitting all day and having a chat (discovering it changed its terminal point due to traffic on its first trip). Photos at dusk in somewhere you don't normally see a Solo or two 17s together.

1803 Yarm Bridge Street to Stockton opposite Castlegate Centre Arriva Service 7 - Solo 2826
Same Solo as earlier after the decision was taken to get back to Stockton rather than waiting for 1105 to work the first 7A into the town.

Upon arrival in town, my mate returned home while I hung around for a while longer (as well as getting some tea). The disappearing Stagecoach Staff Bus was interesting as well.

2122 Stockton Wellington Square to North Tees Hospital Stagecoach 'Connecting The Dots' 59 - E300 27157
Apart from 27249 working the last staff bus, the 'Dots' are radio-less so the older ones are now once again on evening 52s and 58/59/61s. A quiet journey with 8 passengers on from town, ending up with just 2 by Tithe Barn and even then I was the only person to travel the whole route.

beefcake

18 Oct 2015, 10:42 pm #3,585
(18 Oct 2015, 9:28 pm)BusLoverMum We are planning a mini arriva day out later next week, mind - 22 to Durham, 57A to Hartlepool, back by whatever we catch to Peterlee, then home again on the 22. Bloody hate Hartlepool, but will pick up some sarnies during our 28 minute wait in Durham and make sure I empty my bladder because I'm not sure where there is, in the centre, now M&S has gone. 

If you need access to public toilets whilst you're in Hartlepool shopping centre, theres a set inside BHS in the centre square, a set near Primark or a set near the two Pound shops.
beefcake
18 Oct 2015, 10:42 pm #3,585

(18 Oct 2015, 9:28 pm)BusLoverMum We are planning a mini arriva day out later next week, mind - 22 to Durham, 57A to Hartlepool, back by whatever we catch to Peterlee, then home again on the 22. Bloody hate Hartlepool, but will pick up some sarnies during our 28 minute wait in Durham and make sure I empty my bladder because I'm not sure where there is, in the centre, now M&S has gone. 

If you need access to public toilets whilst you're in Hartlepool shopping centre, theres a set inside BHS in the centre square, a set near Primark or a set near the two Pound shops.

Charles41

19 Oct 2015, 9:21 am #3,586
On Saturday I had a good trip around the Bishop Auckland area in search of small independent operators using an Arriva day ticket. It had been my first trip out in some time due to work and family commitments. The day began well with Wright bodied Arriva 1442 working the 08.30 X12 from Gateshead to Durham. This was a good, fast journey; the bus did not have many passengers and handled the route without any problems. We arrived in Durham on time and managed to get the correct bay in the bus station. I noted on the way that minibus operator Wilson based at Barley Mow has changed his fleetname to A & J Travel and is now operating two Ford Transits.

The number 6 service to Cockfield was pulling in behind us at Durham so I jumped on. This was operated by Arriva 1524 which is fitted out to Sapphire standard. The journey again was good with no problems. The bus followed the route well and I enjoyed the scenery. Plenty of shoppers heading to Bishop Auckland were picked up along the way. The bus arrived at Bishop Auckland on time where I alighted. I was hoping for further trips on Sapphire vehicles as the day progressed.

After a short wait at Bishop bus station (where I did a bit spotting), I caught Arriva 1425 operating the 9.50 number 1 to Darlington. This was a short journey as I alighted at Saint Andrews Road after a few minutes. My first port of call was to be GMC Taxis based at St Peters Close. Armed with my A to Z map I set out in search of their operating centre. I headed along the old railway which is now a public footpath and passed the TA Centre. I noticed the Cadet Force had a small contingent of Ford Transits in it’s yard, so spotted these vehicles on the way. The footpath was nice walking through the autumn leaves in the sunshine. I also passed the Arriva garage which is for sale. I shortly arrived at GMC’s base on a new housing development and spotted the two vehicles present.

I then headed towards South Church Enterprise Park. On the way I walked through the historic churchyard where a wedding was about to take place. It did not take long to reach the enterprise park (which has a good view of the church). On arrival I visited the Patient Transport depot of North East Ambulance Service. There were a number of Renault Master minibuses parked up along with a Peugeot people carrier. My plan was then to get the bus to Eldon Lane but I had a bit of a wait. I therefore decided to have a walk up the hill instead.

At Eldon Lane I visited the premises of Dene Valley Community Transport. Their depot is built on the course of a former mineral railway which used to serve a local colliery. There were a couple of Ford Transits present and I was able to get some OK photos of them. I explored the village for a short time before catching Arriva 1506 working the 10.55 number 5 service. This passed through Close House and Eldon. These villages are seriously down on their luck. They were proud mining communities which now are a shadow of their former selves with many boarded up houses. It made me wonder why is mass immigration encouraged when decent hard working families have been thrown on the scrap heap with little long term support.

After a short ride enjoying the good views I alighted in the centre of Shildon. I had not visited this town since the early 1990’s and at first lost my bearings as there had been quite a bit of redevelopment. My first port of call was Humbles Coaches in Robson Street. This operator used to have quite a large fleet but now just has a single LDV. Close by was taxi firm Birds which has a number of minibuses running on taxi plates. I then took a short work to Shildon Methodist Church which is the home of Shildon Community Transport. Unfortunately there were no vehicles present. Next I took a walk through a park and along another former colliery railway which is now a footpath. I was heading for Dalton Crescent, which is the home address of two PSV operators. These are Ebdon (Dial A Cab) and Matthews & Aldworth (DA Taxis). I was pleased to find 5 vehicles parked in a garage block behind the operators’ homes. These were various kinds of minibuses operating on taxi plates.

With the aid of my trusty A to Z I then set out to find Hackworth Industrial Estate which is the official operating centre for Dial A Cab. After a bit of hunting around, I found their depot near a large scrap yard. There were 3 minibuses present, 2 of which were PSVs. The guy on site had no objection to me looking around. Next I visited Holly Lodge care home which is owned by the Executive Care Group. The latest PSV Circle fleet book states they have a small minibus fleet but no vehicles were present. My final stop in Shildon was Princess Street. This the official operating centre of DA Taxis. Unfortunately no vehicles were present at this location either.

My next bus was Arriva 1425 working the 12.17 number 1 service. This service was busy with people heading into Bishop; however the bus made short work of the steep hill heading out of Shildon. I returned to Bishop Auckland and alighted at Cabin Gate. Next I headed up Woodhouse Lane. My first stop was the Law Courts which are the home to non-psv operator Dreamcatcher PSP. This not for profit training company runs a small minibus fleet and I had no problems spotting their vehicles. My next stop was the Butterwick Hospice. This charity operates a single Peugeot Boxer minibus called George on a non-psv basis. I then walked up the hill to St Johns School. The school operates a single LDV on a Section 19 Permit. At 15 years old, it was probably the oldest non-psv I spotted all day. Next to the school is Bishop Auckland College. This has recently been rebuilt and looks very impressive. The college operates 4 minibuses which were parked in the grounds. These are two Ford Transits and two Peugeot Boxers. By this time it was around 13.00 so I ate my packed lunch on the playing fields next to college. However a load of small dogs caught the smell of my sandwiches and their owners had to pull them away from me.

After a good rest I headed up to Etherley Dene. First I visited minibus operator Millward on Rochester Close. This operator has the official trading name of Swiss Cabs on the VOSA website. However he runs a single Ford Transit using the fleet name of AM Travel. The vehicle is White with blue vinyls and looks rather good. Next it was a short walk to the premises of McDonald Travel. This operator used to run full size coaches from a base on the Coundon Industrial Estate. However he now just runs minibuses and taxis from his home address. A Ford Transit and Renault Master were present when I visited.

I’d just missed the bus back into the centre of Bishop and was faced with an hour’s wait. I therefore decided to walk back via Etherley Lane. This did not take long and I was able to cut the corner off by walking through the hospital grounds. On the way I visited King James I Academy. This school operates a Volvo B10-M on a Section 19 Disk. The vehicle is kept at Garnett’s yard on the Romanway Industrial Estate. They also have a fleet of 5 minibuses which comprise Ford Transits and Peugeot Boxers. The site is currently in the process of being redeveloped and the old school buildings are well worth a look for their beautiful architecture. Next I visited the Scouts on Kingsway who have a single Ford Transit. I also passed the New Christian Centre which used to have a small minibus street. However no vehicles were present. Next I visited the Market Place and Castle where I took some photos of the interesting and ancient buildings. I then had a good look around the shops and found a great old-fashioned bookshop on Bondgate. I returned to the bus station and spent a good half hour spotting and getting photos. I always enjoy Bishop due to the number of independent operators that serve the town. On this visit I was not disappointed with stock from SB, Eden and Weardale present.

My next bus was Optare 2823 on the 14.20 56 service. This was a good ride through former mining villages. The view over Spennymoor from near Ferryhill is most impressive. The journey was marred slightly by a drunken guy getting on at Ferryhill and taking to himself for the remainder of the journey. I alighted at Stobbs Cross near West Cornforth. The last time I passed this location Wilkinson (B&W Travel) had his fleet of LDVs parked up in a yard. I was hoping to get further details and photos but regrettably no vehicles were present. Scarlett Band was my next objective. The staff had no issues with me looking around. There were 12 vehicles present, mainly Optares. There were also wheelchair enabled minibuses present which looked like they are used on schools contracts. These wear an all-over white livery. After thanking the staff, I made my way to The Cornforth Partnership. This charity based on the High Street operates a single LDV for the benefit of local people. The vehicle was parked up near a public house.

After a short wait I caught Optare to 2820 working the 15.27 56 service to Bowburn. This bus also had a drunken guy on who again was taking to himself. His face looked like he had recently been given a real hiding with deep cuts near his eyes. He got off at Coxhoe, shortly afterwards we passed the yard of Talbots Transport which had a number of minibuses present. This operator is in the process of applying for a PSV O-licence, the vehicles currently run on taxi plates.

At Bowburn I visited the premises of two small independents Bowman (Anne’s Cars) and Sanderson (K&C Travel). These operators are located close to one another; however neither had any vehicles present. I therefore walked through the village. I passed the DJ Evans Youth Club. This charitable organisation runs two vehicles on Section 19 Permits. They are based at Meadowfield near the original Lee’s Coaches garage. They trade as Derrick Youth Bus and one of their vehicles is a dual door Dennis Dart which I think used to be operated by Stagecarriage Limited of Middlesbrough. Next I passed the Bowburn Care Centre; this for profit nursing home owns a small fleet of Renault Masters which are kept in a yard at the rear of the building. My final call in Bowburn was Medical Services North East. This for profit ambulance company owns a number of patient transport minibuses. These are mainly Renault Masters. I was able to get a partial view of their yard from the adjoining waste ground. Many of the vehicles have 999 in their registrations. They are located next to the Durham Brewery which produces some fine ales.

After a short walk back to the main street I was hoping to catch the 1601 X12 back to Durham. However this was running late, so it was another Optare. This time it was 2810 on the 16.08 56 service. I relieved to see there were no drunks on this service. The bus became very busy at Houghall where a large number of students boarded next to the sports centre. I alighted in Durham bus station after a present journey. As usual for a Saturday afternoon, the station was packed with buses queuing up to reach the stands.

I did a good bit of spotting at Durham; there was plenty of variety in terms of liveries and types of buses. At 16.30 I had the pleasure of seeing the steam locomotive Countess of Sutherland slowly cross the railway viaduct. Despite not having much interest in trains, I could not help but be stunned at the sight of this impressive locomotive and it’s rake of dark red carriages heading Southwards. A large crowd of all ages gathered to watch and take some people were taking photos.

I then caught Arriva 1415 working the 16.50 X12 service to Chester-le-Street. This was pretty much on time despite the large number of passengers who alighted at Durham. The journey was short and pleasurable, and the bus arrived at Chester on time. My plan was to get off at the top of the bank and then make my way to the GNE depot visiting a number of minibus operators on the way. This I figured would take an hour. I visited the small ambulance station and spotted a couple of patient transport minibuses. I then began to make my way to the premises of Pita (MSP Executive Travel). At this point my right knee stated to badly ache. By the time I reached their premises on Rydal Road, I could barely walk and had to keep sitting on garden walls to rest. I therefore decided to cut my visit short and hobbled back down to the top of town. My final bus of the day was Arriva 1443 on the 17.36 X12. This bus was on time and I was one of only two passengers until we reached Birtley. A number of people heading onto Newcastle for a night out boarded there. I got off at Gateshead and had very slow agonising walk home followed by a long relaxing bath.

The day in general was a very enjoyable one and the Arriva day ticket I thought was great value. I would definitely do this trip again. There are so many operators in the Bishop Auckland district I could have spent all day there. Garnetts, Eden, Hubery and Michael’s Travel all spring to mind. My knee is a bit better now and I’ve had a careful walk today. I do not know when my next outing will be, I’m very busy work wise at the moment.

I hope you enjoyed the review.

Charles
Charles41
19 Oct 2015, 9:21 am #3,586

On Saturday I had a good trip around the Bishop Auckland area in search of small independent operators using an Arriva day ticket. It had been my first trip out in some time due to work and family commitments. The day began well with Wright bodied Arriva 1442 working the 08.30 X12 from Gateshead to Durham. This was a good, fast journey; the bus did not have many passengers and handled the route without any problems. We arrived in Durham on time and managed to get the correct bay in the bus station. I noted on the way that minibus operator Wilson based at Barley Mow has changed his fleetname to A & J Travel and is now operating two Ford Transits.

The number 6 service to Cockfield was pulling in behind us at Durham so I jumped on. This was operated by Arriva 1524 which is fitted out to Sapphire standard. The journey again was good with no problems. The bus followed the route well and I enjoyed the scenery. Plenty of shoppers heading to Bishop Auckland were picked up along the way. The bus arrived at Bishop Auckland on time where I alighted. I was hoping for further trips on Sapphire vehicles as the day progressed.

After a short wait at Bishop bus station (where I did a bit spotting), I caught Arriva 1425 operating the 9.50 number 1 to Darlington. This was a short journey as I alighted at Saint Andrews Road after a few minutes. My first port of call was to be GMC Taxis based at St Peters Close. Armed with my A to Z map I set out in search of their operating centre. I headed along the old railway which is now a public footpath and passed the TA Centre. I noticed the Cadet Force had a small contingent of Ford Transits in it’s yard, so spotted these vehicles on the way. The footpath was nice walking through the autumn leaves in the sunshine. I also passed the Arriva garage which is for sale. I shortly arrived at GMC’s base on a new housing development and spotted the two vehicles present.

I then headed towards South Church Enterprise Park. On the way I walked through the historic churchyard where a wedding was about to take place. It did not take long to reach the enterprise park (which has a good view of the church). On arrival I visited the Patient Transport depot of North East Ambulance Service. There were a number of Renault Master minibuses parked up along with a Peugeot people carrier. My plan was then to get the bus to Eldon Lane but I had a bit of a wait. I therefore decided to have a walk up the hill instead.

At Eldon Lane I visited the premises of Dene Valley Community Transport. Their depot is built on the course of a former mineral railway which used to serve a local colliery. There were a couple of Ford Transits present and I was able to get some OK photos of them. I explored the village for a short time before catching Arriva 1506 working the 10.55 number 5 service. This passed through Close House and Eldon. These villages are seriously down on their luck. They were proud mining communities which now are a shadow of their former selves with many boarded up houses. It made me wonder why is mass immigration encouraged when decent hard working families have been thrown on the scrap heap with little long term support.

After a short ride enjoying the good views I alighted in the centre of Shildon. I had not visited this town since the early 1990’s and at first lost my bearings as there had been quite a bit of redevelopment. My first port of call was Humbles Coaches in Robson Street. This operator used to have quite a large fleet but now just has a single LDV. Close by was taxi firm Birds which has a number of minibuses running on taxi plates. I then took a short work to Shildon Methodist Church which is the home of Shildon Community Transport. Unfortunately there were no vehicles present. Next I took a walk through a park and along another former colliery railway which is now a footpath. I was heading for Dalton Crescent, which is the home address of two PSV operators. These are Ebdon (Dial A Cab) and Matthews & Aldworth (DA Taxis). I was pleased to find 5 vehicles parked in a garage block behind the operators’ homes. These were various kinds of minibuses operating on taxi plates.

With the aid of my trusty A to Z I then set out to find Hackworth Industrial Estate which is the official operating centre for Dial A Cab. After a bit of hunting around, I found their depot near a large scrap yard. There were 3 minibuses present, 2 of which were PSVs. The guy on site had no objection to me looking around. Next I visited Holly Lodge care home which is owned by the Executive Care Group. The latest PSV Circle fleet book states they have a small minibus fleet but no vehicles were present. My final stop in Shildon was Princess Street. This the official operating centre of DA Taxis. Unfortunately no vehicles were present at this location either.

My next bus was Arriva 1425 working the 12.17 number 1 service. This service was busy with people heading into Bishop; however the bus made short work of the steep hill heading out of Shildon. I returned to Bishop Auckland and alighted at Cabin Gate. Next I headed up Woodhouse Lane. My first stop was the Law Courts which are the home to non-psv operator Dreamcatcher PSP. This not for profit training company runs a small minibus fleet and I had no problems spotting their vehicles. My next stop was the Butterwick Hospice. This charity operates a single Peugeot Boxer minibus called George on a non-psv basis. I then walked up the hill to St Johns School. The school operates a single LDV on a Section 19 Permit. At 15 years old, it was probably the oldest non-psv I spotted all day. Next to the school is Bishop Auckland College. This has recently been rebuilt and looks very impressive. The college operates 4 minibuses which were parked in the grounds. These are two Ford Transits and two Peugeot Boxers. By this time it was around 13.00 so I ate my packed lunch on the playing fields next to college. However a load of small dogs caught the smell of my sandwiches and their owners had to pull them away from me.

After a good rest I headed up to Etherley Dene. First I visited minibus operator Millward on Rochester Close. This operator has the official trading name of Swiss Cabs on the VOSA website. However he runs a single Ford Transit using the fleet name of AM Travel. The vehicle is White with blue vinyls and looks rather good. Next it was a short walk to the premises of McDonald Travel. This operator used to run full size coaches from a base on the Coundon Industrial Estate. However he now just runs minibuses and taxis from his home address. A Ford Transit and Renault Master were present when I visited.

I’d just missed the bus back into the centre of Bishop and was faced with an hour’s wait. I therefore decided to walk back via Etherley Lane. This did not take long and I was able to cut the corner off by walking through the hospital grounds. On the way I visited King James I Academy. This school operates a Volvo B10-M on a Section 19 Disk. The vehicle is kept at Garnett’s yard on the Romanway Industrial Estate. They also have a fleet of 5 minibuses which comprise Ford Transits and Peugeot Boxers. The site is currently in the process of being redeveloped and the old school buildings are well worth a look for their beautiful architecture. Next I visited the Scouts on Kingsway who have a single Ford Transit. I also passed the New Christian Centre which used to have a small minibus street. However no vehicles were present. Next I visited the Market Place and Castle where I took some photos of the interesting and ancient buildings. I then had a good look around the shops and found a great old-fashioned bookshop on Bondgate. I returned to the bus station and spent a good half hour spotting and getting photos. I always enjoy Bishop due to the number of independent operators that serve the town. On this visit I was not disappointed with stock from SB, Eden and Weardale present.

My next bus was Optare 2823 on the 14.20 56 service. This was a good ride through former mining villages. The view over Spennymoor from near Ferryhill is most impressive. The journey was marred slightly by a drunken guy getting on at Ferryhill and taking to himself for the remainder of the journey. I alighted at Stobbs Cross near West Cornforth. The last time I passed this location Wilkinson (B&W Travel) had his fleet of LDVs parked up in a yard. I was hoping to get further details and photos but regrettably no vehicles were present. Scarlett Band was my next objective. The staff had no issues with me looking around. There were 12 vehicles present, mainly Optares. There were also wheelchair enabled minibuses present which looked like they are used on schools contracts. These wear an all-over white livery. After thanking the staff, I made my way to The Cornforth Partnership. This charity based on the High Street operates a single LDV for the benefit of local people. The vehicle was parked up near a public house.

After a short wait I caught Optare to 2820 working the 15.27 56 service to Bowburn. This bus also had a drunken guy on who again was taking to himself. His face looked like he had recently been given a real hiding with deep cuts near his eyes. He got off at Coxhoe, shortly afterwards we passed the yard of Talbots Transport which had a number of minibuses present. This operator is in the process of applying for a PSV O-licence, the vehicles currently run on taxi plates.

At Bowburn I visited the premises of two small independents Bowman (Anne’s Cars) and Sanderson (K&C Travel). These operators are located close to one another; however neither had any vehicles present. I therefore walked through the village. I passed the DJ Evans Youth Club. This charitable organisation runs two vehicles on Section 19 Permits. They are based at Meadowfield near the original Lee’s Coaches garage. They trade as Derrick Youth Bus and one of their vehicles is a dual door Dennis Dart which I think used to be operated by Stagecarriage Limited of Middlesbrough. Next I passed the Bowburn Care Centre; this for profit nursing home owns a small fleet of Renault Masters which are kept in a yard at the rear of the building. My final call in Bowburn was Medical Services North East. This for profit ambulance company owns a number of patient transport minibuses. These are mainly Renault Masters. I was able to get a partial view of their yard from the adjoining waste ground. Many of the vehicles have 999 in their registrations. They are located next to the Durham Brewery which produces some fine ales.

After a short walk back to the main street I was hoping to catch the 1601 X12 back to Durham. However this was running late, so it was another Optare. This time it was 2810 on the 16.08 56 service. I relieved to see there were no drunks on this service. The bus became very busy at Houghall where a large number of students boarded next to the sports centre. I alighted in Durham bus station after a present journey. As usual for a Saturday afternoon, the station was packed with buses queuing up to reach the stands.

I did a good bit of spotting at Durham; there was plenty of variety in terms of liveries and types of buses. At 16.30 I had the pleasure of seeing the steam locomotive Countess of Sutherland slowly cross the railway viaduct. Despite not having much interest in trains, I could not help but be stunned at the sight of this impressive locomotive and it’s rake of dark red carriages heading Southwards. A large crowd of all ages gathered to watch and take some people were taking photos.

I then caught Arriva 1415 working the 16.50 X12 service to Chester-le-Street. This was pretty much on time despite the large number of passengers who alighted at Durham. The journey was short and pleasurable, and the bus arrived at Chester on time. My plan was to get off at the top of the bank and then make my way to the GNE depot visiting a number of minibus operators on the way. This I figured would take an hour. I visited the small ambulance station and spotted a couple of patient transport minibuses. I then began to make my way to the premises of Pita (MSP Executive Travel). At this point my right knee stated to badly ache. By the time I reached their premises on Rydal Road, I could barely walk and had to keep sitting on garden walls to rest. I therefore decided to cut my visit short and hobbled back down to the top of town. My final bus of the day was Arriva 1443 on the 17.36 X12. This bus was on time and I was one of only two passengers until we reached Birtley. A number of people heading onto Newcastle for a night out boarded there. I got off at Gateshead and had very slow agonising walk home followed by a long relaxing bath.

The day in general was a very enjoyable one and the Arriva day ticket I thought was great value. I would definitely do this trip again. There are so many operators in the Bishop Auckland district I could have spent all day there. Garnetts, Eden, Hubery and Michael’s Travel all spring to mind. My knee is a bit better now and I’ve had a careful walk today. I do not know when my next outing will be, I’m very busy work wise at the moment.

I hope you enjoyed the review.

Charles

citaro5284

19 Oct 2015, 4:03 pm #3,587
Excellent review as always Charles.
citaro5284
19 Oct 2015, 4:03 pm #3,587

Excellent review as always Charles.

Jimmi

19 Oct 2015, 4:05 pm #3,588
(18 Oct 2015, 2:59 pm)GX03 SVC You're better off missing Ashington off (as nothing has changed since your last visit  Wink  ) and going to Blyth direct by the 2. The 434 stops at Clayton Arms in Bedlington Station (same stop as 1&2 towards Blyth) and theres a frequent service (1&2) to Blyth from there, so an opportunity there.  Smile

Do many/if any trains pass through Bedlington Station?
Jimmi
19 Oct 2015, 4:05 pm #3,588

(18 Oct 2015, 2:59 pm)GX03 SVC You're better off missing Ashington off (as nothing has changed since your last visit  Wink  ) and going to Blyth direct by the 2. The 434 stops at Clayton Arms in Bedlington Station (same stop as 1&2 towards Blyth) and theres a frequent service (1&2) to Blyth from there, so an opportunity there.  Smile

Do many/if any trains pass through Bedlington Station?

19 Oct 2015, 4:11 pm #3,589
(19 Oct 2015, 4:05 pm)Jimmi Do many/if any trains pass through Bedlington Station?

Theres a couple a day to North Blyth and at least one to Lynemouth.

DB Schenker/GB Railfrieght/Freightliner.

Usually on coals.
Edited 19 Oct 2015, 4:12 pm by omnicity4659.
omnicity4659
19 Oct 2015, 4:11 pm #3,589

(19 Oct 2015, 4:05 pm)Jimmi Do many/if any trains pass through Bedlington Station?

Theres a couple a day to North Blyth and at least one to Lynemouth.

DB Schenker/GB Railfrieght/Freightliner.

Usually on coals.

Jimmi

21 Oct 2015, 8:50 pm #3,590
After being busy having nights out and being sick in the last week or so I finally got to have a proper outing today.

0727 7 Newton Aycliffe - Durham North Road (ANE 1523)
0850 X12 Durham Bus Station - Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station (ANE 7620)
1013 X18 Newcastle Haymarket Bus Station - Morpeth Bus Station (ANE 7531)
1108 2 Morpeth Bus Station - Bedlington Station, Clayton Arms (ANE 1758)
1156 2 Bedlington Station, Clayton Arms - Blyth Bus Station (ANE 1769)
1238 X9 Blyth Bus Station - Newcastle, Barras Brdige (ANE 4501)
1505 X10 Newcastle, High Level Bridge - Stockton, Church Road (GNE 6047)
1626 X66 Stockton, Yarm Lane - Darlington Tubwell Row (ANE 1425)
1740 5A Darlington Tubwell Row - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 1427)

The day got off to a bad start with me having a nosebleed but it went off before I went out. To fit in some stuff in Morpeth and also a few other things I had to leave early to ensure catching them, unfortunately things got off to a bad start with 1523 turning up nearly 15 minutes late so of course we ended up having to virtually pick up two loads of passengers all the way to Ferryhill when we were pretty much full and the next 7 (an Enviro 400) caught us up. There was also another 7 in front of us (1515 I think) which I think was screened for Framwellgate Moor so I'm wondering if this was a duplicate or not? Thankfully not too much traffic at Nevilles Cross so we only arrived in Durham 10 minutes late (from North Road as this was a Framwellgate Moor journey).

Did some photo taking in Durham but unfortunately most didn't turn out well apart from a Toon Link on the extra 43 run into Durham. Somehow my next bus (7620 on the X12) managed to sneak into the bus station without me noticing so I almost missed it. Not a overly exciting journey really just sat there and pretty much zoned out on this journey until we got to Gateshead where despite leaving Gateshead Interchange 2 minutes early we ended up arriving in Newcastle Eldon Square 5 minutes (so about 18 minutes from Gateshead - Newcastle).

Thanks to the X12 arriving in Newcastle late I missed the X16 to Morpeth. So to kill some time I made use of the facilities in Eldon Square and then saw 644 on service 45 so went out for a quick photo. After getting that photo I made my way to Haymarket Bus Station, crossed by the traffic lights between Eldon Square and Haymarket although I couldn't be bothered waiting for the lights to change and there was nothing coming so I went for it but had difficulties getting round the people who were prepared to wait until the lights change and I ended up with brute force accidently smashing my camera into the box thing on the traffic light and I went totally ape about this seriously I was loudly shouting and swearing I was that angry about this then ended up having to spend my time waiting for the X18 ensuring the camera still worked by taking photos of my shoes. 15 minutes late the X18 arrived in Haymarket and left about 10 minutes late so I ended up 25 minutes behind which didn't amuse me. 7531 performed brilliantly including on the A1 and before we knew it, we were in Morpeth. Annoyingly the delay meant I missed the PCL Travel 79 but thankfully I hadn't missed the Glen Valley service 710.

To ensure getting a photo of service 434 I ended up getting the 2 to Bedlington Station to get a photo there, MPD 1758 was operating this journey on service 2 and although now looking a bit worn inside this has to be one of the best MPDs I've been on in a long time, I even have to say I actually enjoyed this journey.

Got to Bedlington Station and all I could think is "oh sweet Jesus, what the hell is this place" this area looked a right dump and the people looked chavtastic, safe to say I was taking more care of my camera than I was in Newcastle this morning. Whilst waiting for the 434 I snapped 5246 on the 19 (or should I say block 1 because the screen had a fault - see photo  https://flic.kr/p/A2VqbY) was annoyed the next service 2 arrived just before the 434 so I thought I was going to have to spend another 10 minutes here but thankfully it was early so I snapped 1769 on the 2 and 6117 on the 434.

Managed to get to 1769 on the 2 just before he drove off so this was my steed to Blyth, not the best MPD I've been on and the headrests look well battered now. Not really a great deal else to say about this journey. Not a lot going on in Blyth to talk about, went to lunch (Greggs of course!) and snapped the buses including Pulsar 1502 which has been refurbished to MAX which made me happy. Had to think which route I was going to get to Newcastle, 7458 had 308 on the screen but if it was on the 308 to Newcastle it wasn't leaving just yet so for fears I was going to get another VDL Gemini I decided to go for 4501 on the X9.

Decided to sit in the quadrant seats on the drivers side for this journey even though the seats were a bit worn and there was a rather rotten looking banana on the floor. Quite enjoyed this journey as 4501 was brilliant, pretty smooth and felt fairly powerful as well. Not really a busy journey this was, fair few hopping on/off across the route although some stayed on longer. Bailed at Barras Bridge and went on a bit of a snapping session before my next journey.

Ended my snapping session by walking down to High Level Brdige stop for the X10, although the StreetDeck wasn't on the TTX this afternoon I decided to still go for a ride on the X10 mainly because I realised I still didn't have a photo of Proctor's Coaches (Dales & District) service 610R and it was probably a good idea to snap it this week as it won't run next week due to it only operating in term times and it will be dark by 17:30 the week after and I'm not sure how to use the camera at night yet, also I was informed of a new addition to the Dales & District fleet in the form of a silver 60 reg Solo, so I'd thought I'd check that out. Anyway back to the X10, not really a exciting journey, just find going down roads like the A19 a tad boring thankfully the WiFi worked to that kept me amused. These B9TLs sound a bit more tired to the other examples in the fleet so I can see the TTX getting new stock in the next year or two, but will it be the StreetDeck?

Had 20 minutes to kill in Stockton before the X66 so got a few photos and also headed to the Arriva Travel Office to pick up the new X66/X67 and S1 timetables, whilst waiting at the stop for the X66 someone was wondering if the X66 was still defiantly still stopping at this stop so I said it was and briefly talked about the changes happening from Sunday, I have mixed feelings about the upcoming X66/X67 changes but one thing I am strongly in favour of is the stand changes on Darlington bound journeys with journeys leaving from both ends of the High Street instead of Yarm Lane which as well as not having to walk from one end of Stockton High Street to the other if you get the X7/X10 I will no longer have to wait in the squalid hell hole that is Yarm Lane, I am actually fearful waiting at that stop at times because the people you see down there are usually drunk and creepy. Couldn't access the stop on the Live Map so had to just wait and see how long until it would turn up.

Thankfully I managed to get Pulsar 1425 on the X66 to Darlington which made me happy as Pulsar's seem to be faster down the A66 than the Omnicity's and also sound a bit less rough and on this journey the additional capacity  was nice and no backwards seats. Annoying traffic was a bit slow at Harrowgate Hill (temporary traffic lights didn't help) so I think we may have been a few minutes late back into Darlington.

Got photos in Darlington then made my way for my bus home which was 1427 on the 5A and in typical 5/5A fashion it was late although at least that meant we didn't end up losing the will to live waiting for what feels like a lifetime at timing points as this timetable is stupidly timed (my opinion). 1427 seems to be one of the less "shaky Pulsars when stationary so this was not a too bad journey, especially with traffic between the town centre and Harrowgate Hill, despite the traffic pretty decent journey and a good way to round off the day.

Thanks for reading this review, it took quite a while to prepare this.
Jimmi
21 Oct 2015, 8:50 pm #3,590

After being busy having nights out and being sick in the last week or so I finally got to have a proper outing today.

0727 7 Newton Aycliffe - Durham North Road (ANE 1523)
0850 X12 Durham Bus Station - Newcastle Eldon Square Bus Station (ANE 7620)
1013 X18 Newcastle Haymarket Bus Station - Morpeth Bus Station (ANE 7531)
1108 2 Morpeth Bus Station - Bedlington Station, Clayton Arms (ANE 1758)
1156 2 Bedlington Station, Clayton Arms - Blyth Bus Station (ANE 1769)
1238 X9 Blyth Bus Station - Newcastle, Barras Brdige (ANE 4501)
1505 X10 Newcastle, High Level Bridge - Stockton, Church Road (GNE 6047)
1626 X66 Stockton, Yarm Lane - Darlington Tubwell Row (ANE 1425)
1740 5A Darlington Tubwell Row - Newton Aycliffe (ANE 1427)

The day got off to a bad start with me having a nosebleed but it went off before I went out. To fit in some stuff in Morpeth and also a few other things I had to leave early to ensure catching them, unfortunately things got off to a bad start with 1523 turning up nearly 15 minutes late so of course we ended up having to virtually pick up two loads of passengers all the way to Ferryhill when we were pretty much full and the next 7 (an Enviro 400) caught us up. There was also another 7 in front of us (1515 I think) which I think was screened for Framwellgate Moor so I'm wondering if this was a duplicate or not? Thankfully not too much traffic at Nevilles Cross so we only arrived in Durham 10 minutes late (from North Road as this was a Framwellgate Moor journey).

Did some photo taking in Durham but unfortunately most didn't turn out well apart from a Toon Link on the extra 43 run into Durham. Somehow my next bus (7620 on the X12) managed to sneak into the bus station without me noticing so I almost missed it. Not a overly exciting journey really just sat there and pretty much zoned out on this journey until we got to Gateshead where despite leaving Gateshead Interchange 2 minutes early we ended up arriving in Newcastle Eldon Square 5 minutes (so about 18 minutes from Gateshead - Newcastle).

Thanks to the X12 arriving in Newcastle late I missed the X16 to Morpeth. So to kill some time I made use of the facilities in Eldon Square and then saw 644 on service 45 so went out for a quick photo. After getting that photo I made my way to Haymarket Bus Station, crossed by the traffic lights between Eldon Square and Haymarket although I couldn't be bothered waiting for the lights to change and there was nothing coming so I went for it but had difficulties getting round the people who were prepared to wait until the lights change and I ended up with brute force accidently smashing my camera into the box thing on the traffic light and I went totally ape about this seriously I was loudly shouting and swearing I was that angry about this then ended up having to spend my time waiting for the X18 ensuring the camera still worked by taking photos of my shoes. 15 minutes late the X18 arrived in Haymarket and left about 10 minutes late so I ended up 25 minutes behind which didn't amuse me. 7531 performed brilliantly including on the A1 and before we knew it, we were in Morpeth. Annoyingly the delay meant I missed the PCL Travel 79 but thankfully I hadn't missed the Glen Valley service 710.

To ensure getting a photo of service 434 I ended up getting the 2 to Bedlington Station to get a photo there, MPD 1758 was operating this journey on service 2 and although now looking a bit worn inside this has to be one of the best MPDs I've been on in a long time, I even have to say I actually enjoyed this journey.

Got to Bedlington Station and all I could think is "oh sweet Jesus, what the hell is this place" this area looked a right dump and the people looked chavtastic, safe to say I was taking more care of my camera than I was in Newcastle this morning. Whilst waiting for the 434 I snapped 5246 on the 19 (or should I say block 1 because the screen had a fault - see photo  https://flic.kr/p/A2VqbY) was annoyed the next service 2 arrived just before the 434 so I thought I was going to have to spend another 10 minutes here but thankfully it was early so I snapped 1769 on the 2 and 6117 on the 434.

Managed to get to 1769 on the 2 just before he drove off so this was my steed to Blyth, not the best MPD I've been on and the headrests look well battered now. Not really a great deal else to say about this journey. Not a lot going on in Blyth to talk about, went to lunch (Greggs of course!) and snapped the buses including Pulsar 1502 which has been refurbished to MAX which made me happy. Had to think which route I was going to get to Newcastle, 7458 had 308 on the screen but if it was on the 308 to Newcastle it wasn't leaving just yet so for fears I was going to get another VDL Gemini I decided to go for 4501 on the X9.

Decided to sit in the quadrant seats on the drivers side for this journey even though the seats were a bit worn and there was a rather rotten looking banana on the floor. Quite enjoyed this journey as 4501 was brilliant, pretty smooth and felt fairly powerful as well. Not really a busy journey this was, fair few hopping on/off across the route although some stayed on longer. Bailed at Barras Bridge and went on a bit of a snapping session before my next journey.

Ended my snapping session by walking down to High Level Brdige stop for the X10, although the StreetDeck wasn't on the TTX this afternoon I decided to still go for a ride on the X10 mainly because I realised I still didn't have a photo of Proctor's Coaches (Dales & District) service 610R and it was probably a good idea to snap it this week as it won't run next week due to it only operating in term times and it will be dark by 17:30 the week after and I'm not sure how to use the camera at night yet, also I was informed of a new addition to the Dales & District fleet in the form of a silver 60 reg Solo, so I'd thought I'd check that out. Anyway back to the X10, not really a exciting journey, just find going down roads like the A19 a tad boring thankfully the WiFi worked to that kept me amused. These B9TLs sound a bit more tired to the other examples in the fleet so I can see the TTX getting new stock in the next year or two, but will it be the StreetDeck?

Had 20 minutes to kill in Stockton before the X66 so got a few photos and also headed to the Arriva Travel Office to pick up the new X66/X67 and S1 timetables, whilst waiting at the stop for the X66 someone was wondering if the X66 was still defiantly still stopping at this stop so I said it was and briefly talked about the changes happening from Sunday, I have mixed feelings about the upcoming X66/X67 changes but one thing I am strongly in favour of is the stand changes on Darlington bound journeys with journeys leaving from both ends of the High Street instead of Yarm Lane which as well as not having to walk from one end of Stockton High Street to the other if you get the X7/X10 I will no longer have to wait in the squalid hell hole that is Yarm Lane, I am actually fearful waiting at that stop at times because the people you see down there are usually drunk and creepy. Couldn't access the stop on the Live Map so had to just wait and see how long until it would turn up.

Thankfully I managed to get Pulsar 1425 on the X66 to Darlington which made me happy as Pulsar's seem to be faster down the A66 than the Omnicity's and also sound a bit less rough and on this journey the additional capacity  was nice and no backwards seats. Annoying traffic was a bit slow at Harrowgate Hill (temporary traffic lights didn't help) so I think we may have been a few minutes late back into Darlington.

Got photos in Darlington then made my way for my bus home which was 1427 on the 5A and in typical 5/5A fashion it was late although at least that meant we didn't end up losing the will to live waiting for what feels like a lifetime at timing points as this timetable is stupidly timed (my opinion). 1427 seems to be one of the less "shaky Pulsars when stationary so this was not a too bad journey, especially with traffic between the town centre and Harrowgate Hill, despite the traffic pretty decent journey and a good way to round off the day.

Thanks for reading this review, it took quite a while to prepare this.

citaro5284

21 Oct 2015, 9:17 pm #3,591
The wifi was working for you on 6047.....wow! Tongue
citaro5284
21 Oct 2015, 9:17 pm #3,591

The wifi was working for you on 6047.....wow! Tongue

BusLoverMum

22 Oct 2015, 11:24 am #3,592
Just a week me tion that it's well worth catching the 57a or 23 into Hartlepool, purely for the house decorated with beer cans!
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-n...-beer-cans
Edited 22 Oct 2015, 11:28 am by BusLoverMum.
BusLoverMum
22 Oct 2015, 11:24 am #3,592

Just a week me tion that it's well worth catching the 57a or 23 into Hartlepool, purely for the house decorated with beer cans!
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/news/latest-n...-beer-cans

Charles41

22 Oct 2015, 12:15 pm #3,593
Route Review : 33
Operator : Kingsley Coaches Limited
Section Travelled : Regent Centre – Newcastle John Dobson Street
Vehicle : AE56LWN – 104

Yesterday I took the 13:33 number 33 service from Regent Centre into Newcastle City Centre after finishing work. The route originates on a housing estate in North Gosforth and makes it’s way into Newcastle via Gosforth High Street, Jesmond and Sandyford.

The bus arrived slightly behind time at 13.36. There were two people using the service. Another guy and myself boarded the bus. It was smartly presented but I found the seats uncomfortable with not enough leg room. The bus was a MAN 14 with MCV bodywork. The driver was smartly dressed but wearing a hat due to the cold weather.

The journey was quite short at 18 minutes. We picked up and set down a number of persons along the way. Virtually all of the service users were pensioners. Some of them were rather frail so the driver made a point of not moving the bus until they were fully seated. Many people seemed to be using the bus to visit their local shops.

Spotting wise there was plenty of stock to be seen on Gosforth High Street including Sapphire and Max branded Arriva vehicles. GNE were also present running the Q3 service using Optare Versas along with Stagecoach vehicles on the 30 & 31 services. Independents spotted during the journey were Thirlwells (their newest vehicle) and Snaiths (running university contracts). Non-PSV minibuses spotted comprised vehicles from Saint Oswald’s Hospice and the North East Ambulance NHS Trust.

Good points along the journey are the wide variety of shops, eating places and pubs on Gosforth High Street and Osborne Road in Jesmond. Saint George’s church in Jesmond is a very impressive church with a large green at the front. The bus oprates within walking distance of local beauty spot Jesmond Dene. The service stops just around the corner from Arriva’s Jesmond depot. It is a short walk to Newcastle General Cemetery from there. The cemetery contains the final resting place of many well known North Eastern personalities. Despite the busy traffic outside, the cemetery is really peaceful and relaxing. The service also stops near the head office of major regional employer Greggs.

The bus then passes Sandyford Barracks, Northumbria University’s campus and the striking Civic Centre before arriving in John Dobson Street. Opposite the barracks is an office complex which houses a pub called Mr Lynch (previously The Archer). This pub has hosted gigs from many up and coming bands in the past and is popular with students. Close by is a pub/restaurant called The Carriage. This is next to the stretch of Metro line which is not normally used by the public. You can dine in an old railway carriage located on a former railway station platform hence the name.

The service is funded by NEXUS and seems popular with locals. There were 9 people on the bus when we arrived at John Dobson Street. Most of the passengers alighted here. The service requires two vehicles; the other bus was MAN AE56OUU, Kingsley Coaches Limited fleetnumber 106. I’d take this journey again as it can be handy way of escaping the congestion around the City Centre during rush hour.

Hope you enjoyed my first route review.

Charles
Charles41
22 Oct 2015, 12:15 pm #3,593

Route Review : 33
Operator : Kingsley Coaches Limited
Section Travelled : Regent Centre – Newcastle John Dobson Street
Vehicle : AE56LWN – 104

Yesterday I took the 13:33 number 33 service from Regent Centre into Newcastle City Centre after finishing work. The route originates on a housing estate in North Gosforth and makes it’s way into Newcastle via Gosforth High Street, Jesmond and Sandyford.

The bus arrived slightly behind time at 13.36. There were two people using the service. Another guy and myself boarded the bus. It was smartly presented but I found the seats uncomfortable with not enough leg room. The bus was a MAN 14 with MCV bodywork. The driver was smartly dressed but wearing a hat due to the cold weather.

The journey was quite short at 18 minutes. We picked up and set down a number of persons along the way. Virtually all of the service users were pensioners. Some of them were rather frail so the driver made a point of not moving the bus until they were fully seated. Many people seemed to be using the bus to visit their local shops.

Spotting wise there was plenty of stock to be seen on Gosforth High Street including Sapphire and Max branded Arriva vehicles. GNE were also present running the Q3 service using Optare Versas along with Stagecoach vehicles on the 30 & 31 services. Independents spotted during the journey were Thirlwells (their newest vehicle) and Snaiths (running university contracts). Non-PSV minibuses spotted comprised vehicles from Saint Oswald’s Hospice and the North East Ambulance NHS Trust.

Good points along the journey are the wide variety of shops, eating places and pubs on Gosforth High Street and Osborne Road in Jesmond. Saint George’s church in Jesmond is a very impressive church with a large green at the front. The bus oprates within walking distance of local beauty spot Jesmond Dene. The service stops just around the corner from Arriva’s Jesmond depot. It is a short walk to Newcastle General Cemetery from there. The cemetery contains the final resting place of many well known North Eastern personalities. Despite the busy traffic outside, the cemetery is really peaceful and relaxing. The service also stops near the head office of major regional employer Greggs.

The bus then passes Sandyford Barracks, Northumbria University’s campus and the striking Civic Centre before arriving in John Dobson Street. Opposite the barracks is an office complex which houses a pub called Mr Lynch (previously The Archer). This pub has hosted gigs from many up and coming bands in the past and is popular with students. Close by is a pub/restaurant called The Carriage. This is next to the stretch of Metro line which is not normally used by the public. You can dine in an old railway carriage located on a former railway station platform hence the name.

The service is funded by NEXUS and seems popular with locals. There were 9 people on the bus when we arrived at John Dobson Street. Most of the passengers alighted here. The service requires two vehicles; the other bus was MAN AE56OUU, Kingsley Coaches Limited fleetnumber 106. I’d take this journey again as it can be handy way of escaping the congestion around the City Centre during rush hour.

Hope you enjoyed my first route review.

Charles

22 Oct 2015, 3:16 pm #3,594
Brilliant review Charles.

Thirlwell's new Elite(?) was at Morpeth at about 1.45ish this afternoon.
omnicity4659
22 Oct 2015, 3:16 pm #3,594

Brilliant review Charles.

Thirlwell's new Elite(?) was at Morpeth at about 1.45ish this afternoon.

24 Oct 2015, 1:39 pm #3,595
Planning an outing for November when I. Have a day off school, this is my plan
Training Day Off Plans

X21 09:04 Regent Centre
Arriva 09:55 Ashington

57 10:04 Ashington
Arriva 10:37 Cramlington

53 10:53 Cramlington
Arriva 11:54 North Shields

310 12:05 North Shields
Go North East 12:49 Haymarket

X30 13:00 Eldon Square
Go North East 13:25 Sunniside

X70 13:30 Sunniside
Go North East 13:55 Eldon Square

310 14:02 Haymarket
Go North East 14:04 Civic Centre

33 14:11 Civic Centre
Kingsley's 14:28 Hollywood Avenue

33 14:32 Hollywood Avenue
Kingsley's 14:35 Regent Centre

or

Q3 09:02 Regent Centre
Nexus 09:15 Central Station

TRN 09:24 Newcastle
Northern 09:55 Hexham

682 10:14 Hexham Rail Station
Go North East 10:20 Hexham Bus Station

683 10:27 Hexham Bus Station Opposite
Go North East Return 11:27 via East End and Newborough

687 11:35 Hexham Bus Station
Go North East 12:02 Return to Rail Station via Corbridge

TRN 12:22 Hexham Rail Station
Northern 12:59 Newcastle

M 13:28 Central Station
Nexus 13:41 Regent Centre

44 13:51 Regent Centre
Arriva 14:06 Dimnington

44 14:13 Dinnington
Arriva 14:28 Regent Centre

or

Q3 09:13 Regent Centre
Go North East 09:28 Newgate Street

X21 09:37 Newgate Street
Go North East 10:25 Durham

7 10:37 Durham
Arriva 11:45 Darlington Tubel Row

10 minute walk to train station

TRN 12:07 Darlington
VTEC 12:40 Newcastle

M 13:16 Central Station
Nexus 13:29 Regent Centre

553 13:33 Regent Centre
Arriva 13:58 Return via Freeman Hospital

46 14:12 Regent Centre
Arriva 14:28 Return via Great Park

or

553 09:03 Regent Centre
Arriva 09:32 Wallsend Town Centre

1 09:42 Wallsend Town Centre
Go North East 10:35 Whitley Bay

309 10:40 Whitley Bay
Go North East 10:59 Blyth

1 11:08 Blyth
Arriva 11:40 Ashington

X22 11:50 Ashington
Arriva 12:47 Haymarket

X85 13:10 Eldon Square
Go North East 13:18 General Hospital

38 13:23 General Hospital
Stagecoach 13:51 Corner House

18 14:04 Corner House
Stagecoach 14:16 Longbenton Shops

54 14:22 Longbenton Shops
Arriva 14:30 Gosforth High Street

Any bus 14:40 Regent Centre

or

20 10:32 Durham
Go North East 12:05 South Shields

F 12:45 South Shields
Nexus Metro 12:52 North Shields

19 12:57 North Shields Ferry
Go North East 13:52 Cramlington

X10 13:58 Cramlington
Arriva 14:15 High Street

33 14:24 High Street
Kingsley's 14:35 Regent Centre via Hollywood Avenue

Any suggestions as to what would be best?
NK53 TKT
24 Oct 2015, 1:39 pm #3,595

Planning an outing for November when I. Have a day off school, this is my plan
Training Day Off Plans

X21 09:04 Regent Centre
Arriva 09:55 Ashington

57 10:04 Ashington
Arriva 10:37 Cramlington

53 10:53 Cramlington
Arriva 11:54 North Shields

310 12:05 North Shields
Go North East 12:49 Haymarket

X30 13:00 Eldon Square
Go North East 13:25 Sunniside

X70 13:30 Sunniside
Go North East 13:55 Eldon Square

310 14:02 Haymarket
Go North East 14:04 Civic Centre

33 14:11 Civic Centre
Kingsley's 14:28 Hollywood Avenue

33 14:32 Hollywood Avenue
Kingsley's 14:35 Regent Centre

or

Q3 09:02 Regent Centre
Nexus 09:15 Central Station

TRN 09:24 Newcastle
Northern 09:55 Hexham

682 10:14 Hexham Rail Station
Go North East 10:20 Hexham Bus Station

683 10:27 Hexham Bus Station Opposite
Go North East Return 11:27 via East End and Newborough

687 11:35 Hexham Bus Station
Go North East 12:02 Return to Rail Station via Corbridge

TRN 12:22 Hexham Rail Station
Northern 12:59 Newcastle

M 13:28 Central Station
Nexus 13:41 Regent Centre

44 13:51 Regent Centre
Arriva 14:06 Dimnington

44 14:13 Dinnington
Arriva 14:28 Regent Centre

or

7 10:37 Durham
Arriva 11:45 Darlington Tubel Row

10 minute walk to train station

TRN 12:07 Darlington
VTEC 12:40 Newcastle

M 13:16 Central Station
Nexus 13:29 Regent Centre

553 13:33 Regent Centre
Arriva 13:58 Return via Freeman Hospital

46 14:12 Regent Centre
Arriva 14:28 Return via Great Park

or

553 09:03 Regent Centre
Arriva 09:32 Wallsend Town Centre

1 09:42 Wallsend Town Centre
Go North East 10:35 Whitley Bay

309 10:40 Whitley Bay
Go North East 10:59 Blyth

1 11:08 Blyth
Arriva 11:40 Ashington

X22 11:50 Ashington
Arriva 12:47 Haymarket

X85 13:10 Eldon Square
Go North East 13:18 General Hospital

38 13:23 General Hospital
Stagecoach 13:51 Corner House

18 14:04 Corner House
Stagecoach 14:16 Longbenton Shops

54 14:22 Longbenton Shops
Arriva 14:30 Gosforth High Street

Any bus 14:40 Regent Centre

or

20 10:32 Durham
Go North East 12:05 South Shields

F 12:45 South Shields
Nexus Metro 12:52 North Shields

19 12:57 North Shields Ferry
Go North East 13:52 Cramlington

X10 13:58 Cramlington
Arriva 14:15 High Street

33 14:24 High Street
Kingsley's 14:35 Regent Centre via Hollywood Avenue

Any suggestions as to what would be best?

BusLoverMum

24 Oct 2015, 2:38 pm #3,596
(18 Oct 2015, 10:42 pm)beefcake If you need access to public toilets whilst you're in Hartlepool shopping centre, theres a set inside BHS in the centre square, a set near Primark or a set near the two Pound shops.

Cheers.

Loos were surprisingly plentiful and reasonably clean.

Considering starting a parallel public convenience review thread Wink
BusLoverMum
24 Oct 2015, 2:38 pm #3,596

(18 Oct 2015, 10:42 pm)beefcake If you need access to public toilets whilst you're in Hartlepool shopping centre, theres a set inside BHS in the centre square, a set near Primark or a set near the two Pound shops.

Cheers.

Loos were surprisingly plentiful and reasonably clean.

Considering starting a parallel public convenience review thread Wink

24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm #3,597
(24 Oct 2015, 1:39 pm)NK53 TKT Any suggestions as to what would be best?

Darlington.
Edited 24 Oct 2015, 2:46 pm by omnicity4659.
omnicity4659
24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm #3,597

Darlington.

24 Oct 2015, 3:15 pm #3,598
(24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm)GX03 SVC Darlington.

Thanks, I was thinking that or Hexham
NK53 TKT
24 Oct 2015, 3:15 pm #3,598

(24 Oct 2015, 2:45 pm)GX03 SVC Darlington.

Thanks, I was thinking that or Hexham

25 Oct 2015, 8:32 am #3,599
Off out on Monday evening and Tuesday morning these are my plans, dunno which one to use though:

310 18:16 Corner House
Go North East-Cobalt Clipper 18:47 North Shields Rudyerd Street

9 18:56 Rudyerd Street
Go North East 19:11 Jarrow

M 19:22 Jarrow
Nexus 19:39 Central Station

1 19:51 Central Station
Stagecoach 20:17 Cochrane Park

or

51 18:08 Corner House
Arriva 18:32 Earsdon

57A 18:38 Earsdon
Arriva 19:08 Cramlington Shops

X9 19:14 Cramlington Shops
Arriva 19:40 Blyth Bus Station

309 19:45 Blyth
Go North East-Cobalt Clipper 20:32 Corner House

or

309 18:10 Corner House
Go North East-Cobalt Clipper 18:30 Cobalt Silver Fox Way Procter and Gamble

22 18:35 Cobalt Silver Fox Way Procter and Gamble
Stagecoach 19:17 Central Station Neville Street

TRN 19:25 Central Station
Northern 19:34 Metrocentre

6 19:43 Metrocentre
Go North East-NORTHERN 20:02 Sunniside

X70 20:09 Sunniside
Go North East-NORTHERN 20:31 Eldon Square

308 20:40 Haymarket
Arriva- ECO GREEN 20:48 Corner House

or

1 09:38 Cochrane Park
Stagecoach 10:14 Cruddas Park

32 10:25 Cruddas Park
Stagecoach 11:08 Home

or

309 09:21 Corner House
Go North East-Cobalt Clipper 09:52 Whitley Bay Town Centre

W1 10:03 Whitley Bay Town Centre Front Street
Go North East-NEXUS 10:48 Monkseaton Metro

M 10:57 Monkseaton
Nexus 11:12 Home
NK53 TKT
25 Oct 2015, 8:32 am #3,599

Off out on Monday evening and Tuesday morning these are my plans, dunno which one to use though:

310 18:16 Corner House
Go North East-Cobalt Clipper 18:47 North Shields Rudyerd Street

9 18:56 Rudyerd Street
Go North East 19:11 Jarrow

M 19:22 Jarrow
Nexus 19:39 Central Station

1 19:51 Central Station
Stagecoach 20:17 Cochrane Park

or

51 18:08 Corner House
Arriva 18:32 Earsdon

57A 18:38 Earsdon
Arriva 19:08 Cramlington Shops

X9 19:14 Cramlington Shops
Arriva 19:40 Blyth Bus Station

309 19:45 Blyth
Go North East-Cobalt Clipper 20:32 Corner House

or

309 18:10 Corner House
Go North East-Cobalt Clipper 18:30 Cobalt Silver Fox Way Procter and Gamble

22 18:35 Cobalt Silver Fox Way Procter and Gamble
Stagecoach 19:17 Central Station Neville Street

TRN 19:25 Central Station
Northern 19:34 Metrocentre

6 19:43 Metrocentre
Go North East-NORTHERN 20:02 Sunniside

X70 20:09 Sunniside
Go North East-NORTHERN 20:31 Eldon Square

308 20:40 Haymarket
Arriva- ECO GREEN 20:48 Corner House

or

1 09:38 Cochrane Park
Stagecoach 10:14 Cruddas Park

32 10:25 Cruddas Park
Stagecoach 11:08 Home

or

309 09:21 Corner House
Go North East-Cobalt Clipper 09:52 Whitley Bay Town Centre

W1 10:03 Whitley Bay Town Centre Front Street
Go North East-NEXUS 10:48 Monkseaton Metro

M 10:57 Monkseaton
Nexus 11:12 Home

Charles41

25 Oct 2015, 11:11 am #3,600

The Hexham to Newbrough run, the countryside in Tynedale is lovely in the Autumn.

Charles
Charles41
25 Oct 2015, 11:11 am #3,600

The Hexham to Newbrough run, the countryside in Tynedale is lovely in the Autumn.

Charles

Pages (239) Previous 1179 180 181239 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average