You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2015

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2015
There was also talk a wee while ago regarding Stockton's 15 and Redcar's 63 both going "Frequenta". Not sure how far down the list that's slipped though
X20 and X75/X76 are definitely in the list to be done... X20 buses are being refurbished at present, and X75/X76 are due to be done - with 4652/4/8 being the allocated vehicles (probably looking at February 2016 for that though).

Hopefully be able to tell you all about further MAX conversions soon! 
I don't know whether we'll be having any more Sapphire routes though - maybe we could have another in Northumberland without over-doing it?

We have buses allocated to other routes that haven't been branded yet though with the uncertainty over the future of Frequenta, and further vehicles are expected to be fitted with wi-fi and next stop announcements.
(06 Dec 2015, 9:20 pm)tyresmoke wrote X20 and X75/X76 are definitely in the list to be done... X20 buses are being refurbished at present, and X75/X76 are due to be done - with 4652/4/8 being the allocated vehicles (probably looking at February 2016 for that though).

Hopefully be able to tell you all about further MAX conversions soon! 
I don't know whether we'll be having any more Sapphire routes though - maybe we could have another in Northumberland without over-doing it?

We have buses allocated to other routes that haven't been branded yet though with the uncertainty over the future of Frequenta, and further vehicles are expected to be fitted with wi-fi and next stop announcements.

A thought on this;

To me, the X18 is more suited to Sapphire than it is to MAX. It isn't exactly an express service, taking an hour longer than the X15 from Berwick to Alnwick, and 2 hours longer from Berwick to Newcastle. I also think NSA's and power sockets would be pretty useful on the route, especially for the long ones.

If the X20 continues to do well, throw 7529-32 on that, 5 new Sapphire E400 MMCs for the X18, and have 7533 as an additional MAX spare? 7412-15 could then be dispersed across the region as MAX spares.

I would suggest converting the X10/11 to Sapphire, however I can't begin to imagine how bad that would be with the way Blyth allocate. (Thinking about the no-quibble guarantee).
(06 Dec 2015, 10:04 pm)mb134 wrote A thought on this;

To me, the X18 is more suited to Sapphire than it is to MAX. It isn't exactly an express service, taking an hour longer than the X15 from Berwick to Alnwick, and 2 hours longer from Berwick to Newcastle. I also think NSA's and power sockets would be pretty useful on the route, especially for the long ones.

If the X20 continues to do well, throw 7529-32 on that, 5 new Sapphire E400 MMCs for the X18, and have 7533 as an additional MAX spare? 7412-15 could then be dispersed across the region as MAX spares.

I would suggest converting the X10/11 to MAX, however I can't begin to imagine how bad that would be with the way Blyth allocate. (Thinking about the no-quibble guarantee).

The X10/X11 are already MAX, have been for a while now.
Site Administrator
(06 Dec 2015, 10:15 pm)Malarkey wrote The X10/X11 are already MAX, have been for a while now.

Probably meant Sapphire..!
(06 Dec 2015, 10:15 pm)Malarkey wrote The X10/X11 are already MAX, have been for a while now.

(06 Dec 2015, 10:19 pm)Dan wrote Probably meant Sapphire..!

Yeah, I meant Sapphire, sorry about that Angel

Been a long few weeks!
(06 Dec 2015, 10:04 pm)mb134 wrote A thought on this;

I would suggest converting the X10/11 to MAX, however I can't begin to imagine how bad that would be with the way Blyth allocate. (Thinking about the no-quibble guarantee).

I think the X18 wants to be put on its own brand along with the X15...Coast & Castles..?! Arriva-standard interior though, with WiFi, sockets and NSAs. Hell, throw the X20 into the C&C brand too.

I think the 308 should be upgraded to MAX-spec, retaining the Eco-Green livery, but without 308 branding. All other routes will lose branding in favour for a generic "Electric Hybrids for Blyth" and "Quick, comfortable connections from Arriva". To keep Blyth's vehicles consistent, services 1 and 2 upgraded to Arriva-standard with high-back seats.

The 35 is in dire need of an upgrade, fobbing passengers off with a half WiFi allocation. In the unique way Ashington operate with the 35 as a low-priority route over the likes of the X14/5/8 and X20/1/2, something needs to be done about the quality and management of this service. Withdrawing trips to provide another service with a ticket machine is down-right disgusting.
I like the idea of a "premium" brand with all the bells and whistles but I'm less impressed with having Sapphire AND Max.

I don't know what (if any) benefits there are to having two brands. From an operational point of view it must cause more problems than it solves.... I'm thinking more along the lines of things like having to carry extra branded spare vehicles for each brand etc.

Just my two pennyworth anyway
(04 Dec 2015, 10:05 am)Cock Robin wrote Jeffs Bus Lane?!

No it' came directly the Arrivia North East site.
just wanted to know if anyone knew when the x20 buses with ready in max suit
(06 Dec 2015, 10:48 pm)buss14 wrote just wanted to know if anyone knew when the x20 buses with ready in max suit

Very soon. Hoping to have them starting service in late-January, early-February.
(06 Dec 2015, 10:43 pm)Mark P wrote I like the idea of a "premium" brand with all the bells and whistles but I'm less impressed with having Sapphire AND Max.

I don't know what (if any) benefits there are to having two brands. From an operational point of view it must cause more problems than it solves.... I'm thinking more along the lines of things like having to carry extra branded spare vehicles for each brand etc.

Just my two pennyworth anyway

What would have been ideal with having premium brands at Arriva would have been a revised corporate livery for the "premium" routes, all with the features of WiFi, E-leather high back seats, NSAs etc. 

Funnily enough, there's only stats released for Sapphire X21/X22 service, 90% reliability and 7% passenger growth. Nothing for the MAX services it seems.
(06 Dec 2015, 10:55 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Funnily enough, there's only stats released for Sapphire X21/X22 service, 90% reliability and 7% passenger growth. Nothing for the MAX services it seems.

That's better than I thought they were doing, have noticed busier services recently however! 

Any idea what pre-Sapphire growth rate was like?
(05 Dec 2015, 2:33 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Alexander ALX400 / DAF DB250RS 7466 (W396 VGJ) operated the service, 7466 is currently on loan to Ashington depot today, and will return to Blyth later today or tomorrow morning.

Here is 7466 and YN12 BBO at Woodhorn Museum;
[Image: 22911561403_147b871f21.jpg]
Arriva Northumbria & Howard Snaith: Woodhorn WoW Shuttles by Thomas Simms, on Flickr

Ah 7466, was a brilliant machine the last time I used it, should try to get on it while it's at Ashington again, as I don't imagine it'll have too long left after the WoW service?
(06 Dec 2015, 11:02 pm)mb134 wrote That's better than I thought they were doing, have noticed busier services recently however! 

Any idea what pre-Sapphire growth rate was like?

No, haven't got a clue on that.

I can remember travelling to Newcastle on a X21, an ALX400, with only 5 passengers on board. On a Saturday, mid-morning. I returned on a X20, a Prima, only a few seats left. I made the same Saturday journey (thereabouts) a few weeks ago, and there was certainly more passengers.

Sapphire has taken passengers off the X20 in my opinion.

(06 Dec 2015, 11:05 pm)mb134 wrote Ah 7466, was a brilliant machine the last time I used it, should try to get on it while it's at Ashington again, as I don't imagine it'll have too long left after the WoW service?

It returned to Blyth last night. Tongue
Darlington's service 21/X21 to Peterlee/Sunderland is there any future plans to change it to a Max service.
(06 Dec 2015, 11:07 pm)GX03 SVC wrote It returned to Blyth last night. Tongue

Oh well, haha, 

Always was my favourite of the batch that came up from London. Part of me still wishes that the X21 never went Sapphire so that could turn up on a morning Wink
(06 Dec 2015, 11:07 pm)GX03 SVC wrote No, haven't got a clue on that.

I can remember travelling to Newcastle on a X21, an ALX400, with only 5 passengers on board. On a Saturday, mid-morning. I returned on a X20, a Prima, only a few seats left. I made the same Saturday journey (thereabouts) a few weeks ago, and there was certainly more passengers.

Sapphire has taken passengers off the X20 in my opinion

Aye, the morning journey I get used to have about 8 people downstairs and nobody upstairs, now you're lucky to get a double seat to yourself downstairs, and there's usually 5+ upstairs.
(06 Dec 2015, 9:05 pm)JoshP wrote I can definitely see the 1/1B going Sapphire at some point. Not sure about the 5/5A though. Personal opinion haha
Can't see the Darlington 1/5/5A going Sapphire as the 1, 5/5A and the 19 all interwork and they can't really be broken up due to the scheduling of the services and if you did break them up the number of resources required would have to increase (buses, drivers etc). The 5/5A would probably not become Sapphire purely because I personally think it covers too much of the Sapphire 7 route between Darlington and Aycliffe Town Centre so because of this I can't see these services going Sapphire and I think any route branding on the 1/5/5A/19 would be silly.

I think it would be good if the 56/57/57A/86 got newer buses and I think larger buses would be a good idea, would be good if we could get our hands on some more Enviro 200s like the ones on the 64 or possibly maybe some StreetLite's although not sure the 44 seaters would be needed, perhaps 37 seaters would be ideal. This would unleash Solos to Blyth and or Ashington to replace MPD's (or Darlington if the rumour of Dales & District service work being withdrawn actually happens).

Think the 21/21A/X21 may possibly be a good route for the MAX brand although you'd probably need to renumber the services, think the 21 is popular enough but not sure about the 21A and X21. You could maybe refurbish Pulsars for these routes. 4812/4813/4814 could easily move onto the 8/8A at Darlington and would also mean another EcoCity can operate the 12/12A.
I think that the MPDs at Blyth and Ashington need to be replaced with full-size single deckers. Services 1 and 2 can't cope with minibuses, and I've regularly been left standing on a 2.
(06 Dec 2015, 2:59 pm)Dan wrote The Solos are the usual offenders that I spot, but the number of Pulsars seems to have increased too.

Are the full size destinations set up correctly yet on the Sapphire ADL Enviro400s at Durham, or are these still showing route numbers only?

Somehow missed this post.

In my sightings in Durham, most of the Solo's rear screens normally work, 2838 and 2839 even show the destinations on their full sized rear screens.

Think it was more Darlington's Enviro 400's that had this problem but it was resolved pretty quickly although one of Belmont's examples was going around with just the service number but I think both are fine now. Not so sure about the Sapphire 22 StreetLite's though, pretty much since they entered service there seems to have been at least one going round with the number only on the rear and this may still be the case, will have a look when I'm in the Durham and Sunderland areas.
(06 Dec 2015, 11:49 pm)GX03 SVC wrote I think that the MPDs at Blyth and Ashington need to be replaced with full-size single deckers. Services 1 and 2 can't cope with minibuses, and I've regularly been left standing on a 2.

StreetLites? 

You could order 7(?) new ones, get 1579-81 from Ashington, and order 6 B8RLE's for the 35/35A?
Theres a gas bus (21/X21) broken down in Peterlee bus station right on the exit area of the bus station, been there since before 9am.

Some interesting thoughts in this thread!
Not too sure how much I can give away but the launch for the X7/X8/X9 and X20 should both be very soon as the majority of the vehicles are ready now.

In fact I've just seen a picture of VLW117 (our 7413 - LF52UPN) at Enfield fully ready to head north, and I believe 7412/4/5 are all ready at Thorntons. Just need the branding adding and then I'm sure Titan will be along to provide a performance!

More Max routes to be added as we go into 2016, including the X75 as previously mentioned.
I'm not sure whether we could take the X15/X18 out of Max now if we were to brand them separately. The growth on that corridor and certainly the X93 suggests that Max is very popular with our passengers so why fix something that isn't broke?
(07 Dec 2015, 1:48 pm)tyresmoke wrote Some interesting thoughts in this thread!
Not too sure how much I can give away but the launch for the X7/X8/X9 and X20 should both be very soon as the majority  of the vehicles are ready now.

In fact I've just seen a picture of VLW117 (our 7413 - LF52UPN) at Enfield fully ready to head north, and I believe 7412/4/5 are all ready at Thorntons. Just need the branding adding and then I'm sure Titan will be along to provide a performance!

More Max routes to be added as we go into 2016, including the X75 as previously mentioned.
I'm not sure whether we could take the X15/X18 out of Max now if we were to brand them separately. The growth on that corridor and certainly the X93 suggests that Max is very popular with our passengers so why fix something that isn't broke?

I think an upgrade to the next level on a route that is growing, but has competition - is a logical step.
Not necessarily fixing it, but developing it even further.
Depending on the service, there could be scope to attract more bums on seats due to demographics, the route it takes etcm

A visual or anecdotal mention of improvements to a service like the X93 will drive traffic towards the service, but I am not sure how much more it can be grown.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
The NSA's for the X67 are now operational. First time I've heard them today, and I have to admit, they are very well done. All stops are now correct and Stockton has been added to High Street and Middlesbrough has been added to Bus Station. Curiously, the NSA's didn't work on the X66 working.
(07 Dec 2015, 1:48 pm)tyresmoke wrote Some interesting thoughts in this thread!
Not too sure how much I can give away but the launch for the X7/X8/X9 and X20 should both be very soon as the majority  of the vehicles are ready now.

Don't think the growth on the X93 is necessarily to do with Max but just the fact its now got decent buses on and is actually operating!
(06 Dec 2015, 10:47 pm)2bagstew wrote No it' came directly the Arrivia North East site.

No I meant is that why its out of date as it still advertises Jeffs Bus Lane, which is defunct!
does anyone know how long T313 FGN has left in service because i want to get a ride before it goes
(07 Dec 2015, 5:07 pm)buss14 wrote does anyone know how long T313 FGN has left in service because i want to get a ride before it goes

I expect it's life can be numbered in days, put it that way