You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Poll: Which type of mobile phone do you have?

You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Apple iOS 8 (19.51%)
Android 25 (60.98%)
Windows Phone 4 (9.76%)
Blackberry 1 (2.44%)
Other (or non-smartphone) 3 (7.32%)
* You voted for this item. Total: 41 vote(s) (100%)
RE: Mobile Phones
(22 Sep 2013, 10:19 am)Terence Price wrote well here we go...

I have an Alcatel and its shit, in just 3 months the screen has a crack in it and apart from when someone rings me the sound dont work, never buying from that company again.

Should be covered under manufacturer's warranty for 3 months? Maybe not the crack in the screen, but certainly the sound issue.

I had an O2 XDA Orbit year ago, and the sound kept going on that. I had 7 replacements in 12 months. Big Grin
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(22 Sep 2013, 10:33 am)aureolin wrote Should be covered under manufacturer's warranty for 3 months? Maybe not the crack in the screen, but certainly the sound issue.

I had an O2 XDA Orbit year ago, and the sound kept going on that. I had 7 replacements in 12 months. Big Grin

lol none of the issues both me it just shows how crap the quality is mate Tongue
What are people's thoughts on ios7?

I have taken the plunge and it is currently downloading on the ipad.

5 hours to go - so probably won't see it until tomorrow!
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(23 Sep 2013, 8:19 pm)Andreos1 wrote What are people's thoughts on ios7?

Three issues with it that annoy the shit out of me, as they're basic.

1) Default setting for the 'Command Centre' when screen is locked should be 'Off'. Lessons learned from Siri perhaps??

2) You should not be able to dial any number from the emergency call screen when the phone is locked. iOS7 users, try locking your phone, selecting emergency call, then dial a number. Instead of pressing call once. Tap it multiple times and see what happens.

3) Default addresses is screwy. iMessages by default go from your @me.com address, rather than your mobile number. Should default to this if sending to a mobile number. It also doesn't like an Exchange account and IMAP account on the same phone. Will use your Exchange email address despite replying from a mail in your IMAP account.
(23 Sep 2013, 8:25 pm)aureolin wrote Three issues with it that annoy the shit out of me, as they're basic.

1) Default setting for the 'Command Centre' when screen is locked should be 'Off'. Lessons learned from Siri perhaps??

2) You should not be able to dial any number from the emergency call screen when the phone is locked. iOS7 users, try locking your phone, selecting emergency call, then dial a number. Instead of pressing call once. Tap it multiple times and see what happens.

3) Default addresses is screwy. iMessages by default go from your @me.com address, rather than your mobile number. Should default to this if sending to a mobile number. It also doesn't like an Exchange account and IMAP account on the same phone. Will use your Exchange email address despite replying from a mail in your IMAP account.

So there are a few glitches or are they design faults?

I was hoping it would be a quicker download after the initial rush, but it is taking ages
(23 Sep 2013, 8:19 pm)Andreos1 wrote What are people's thoughts on ios7?

It's bloody awful!
However, it only took 8 minutes to download for my iPod Touch.
(23 Sep 2013, 9:16 pm)BJ10VUS wrote It's bloody awful!
However, it only took 8 minutes to download for my iPod Touch.

Add 52mins and multiply it by 7!
That included the time it took to verify, then re-boot and re-start.

It wasn't worth the wait...
I've had a look at iOS 7 and it does look like a shift towards Android in a way so I can see why a lot of Apple sheep don't enjoy it.

I've just bought myself an HTC One and have to say its the best phone I've ever had, knocks the socks of a gimmicky Samsung S4 and far superior to the IPhone 5(S)ame
Looking for hints, tips and advice peeps.

Buying a new phone.
Not keen on touchscreens, but after a trip to the Metrocentre earlier, it seems I don't have much choice!

I am sticking with my payg sim and will be buying phone with cold, hard cash.

Need internet (rules out the 99p Nokia that one shop had), the ability to open word/excel document and emails (push or webmail).
Anything else, not too fussed about.

I have apple products (ipad and ipod) and have a Windows 8 laptop - so syncing/compatibility isn't an issue.

Not prepared to pay hundreds for something that is probably only going to last a couple of years either.

Any advice?
Currently have a Nokia e5 that has been great, but is on its last legs.
Site Administrator
(07 Jan 2014, 7:30 pm)andreos1 wrote Looking for hints, tips and advice peeps.

Buying a new phone.
Not keen on touchscreens, but after a trip to the Metrocentre earlier, it seems I don't have much choice!

Need internet (rules out the 99p Nokia that one shop had), the ability to open word/excel document and emails (push or webmail).

I have apple products (ipad and ipod) and have a Windows 8 laptop - so syncing/compatibility isn't an issue.

Not prepared to pay hundreds for something that is probably only going to last a couple of years either.

Any advice?
Currently have a Nokia e5 that has been great, but is on its last legs.

I'd suggest a BlackBerry - whichever one takes your fancy, there's so many to choose from.
They're nothing special, but perfect for the things which you've said above.
Anything which you don't get on the BlackBerry, you'd be able to get on the iPod/iPad.
(07 Jan 2014, 7:30 pm)andreos1 wrote Looking for hints, tips and advice peeps.

Buying a new phone.

Need internet (rules out the 99p Nokia that one shop had) and emails (push or webmail).

Any advice?

What's yer budget? Had a quick browse on the Carphone Warehouse, and found the following which get decent reviews:

Samsung Galaxy Ace
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles...Code=WHITE

Nokia Lumia 520
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles...Code=BLACK

LG Optimus L5
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles...Code=BLACK&gift=undefined&giftType=undefined

and for comedy value Big Grin
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles...odOverview
(07 Jan 2014, 7:42 pm)aureolin wrote What's yer budget? Had a quick browse on the Carphone Warehouse, and found the following which get decent reviews:

Samsung Galaxy Ace
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles...Code=WHITE

Nokia Lumia 520
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles...Code=BLACK

LG Optimus L5
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles...Code=BLACK&gift=undefined&giftType=undefined

and for comedy value Big Grin
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles...odOverview

You have sold me the brick!
Some of the all singing all dancing phones seem about the same size.

The budget is flexible, just not over the top.
A couple of them had caught my eye today to be honest.

Just wanted to see what other people had and what they thought of them/recommended them.
(07 Jan 2014, 7:40 pm)Dan wrote I'd suggest a BlackBerry - whichever one takes your fancy, there's so many to choose from.
They're nothing special, but perfect for the things which you've said above.
Anything which you don't get on the BlackBerry, you'd be able to get on the iPod/iPad.

I have seen a couple of them - mates have had them (I've had work ones) and I haven't been impressed.
Unless they have stepped up a gear, I wouldn't touch them.

The only thing I liked was the qwerty keyboard.
Site Administrator
(07 Jan 2014, 8:00 pm)andreos1 wrote I have seen a couple of them - mates have had them (I've had work ones) and I haven't been impressed.
Unless they have stepped up a gear, I wouldn't touch them.

The only thing I liked was the qwerty keyboard.

Like you said in your post, you really haven't got much of an option in regards to touch screens or non touch screens these days, and the BlackBerry variety are probably the best non touch screen.

If you found yourself in a position where you had to go for the touch screen though, would recommend Android over iOS. iOS is expensive for what you actually get, in my opinion.

Never had a Sony, but a relatively decent priced touch screen Android which meets your requirements would be the Xperia M:
http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/mobiles...Code=WHITE&gift=undefined&giftType=undefined
(07 Jan 2014, 8:58 pm)andreos1 wrote The Nokia Lumia is stealing ahead at the mo.

Anyone have one?

I don't, but it certainly gets good reviews. Should be shit hot in terms of mail support, with it running a Windows OS.
(07 Jan 2014, 9:15 pm)aureolin wrote I don't, but it certainly gets good reviews. Should be shit hot in terms of mail support, with it running a Windows OS.

That's whats attracting me to it - hotmail, 365 etc and office compatibility.

The Experia sp is a better phone overall, but is £50 more expensive and then there is the need to sort out apps, emails etc.
Re: RE: Mobile Phones
(07 Jan 2014, 9:31 pm)andreos1 wrote That's whats attracting me to it - hotmail, 365 etc and office compatibility.

The Experia sp is a better phone overall, but is £50 more expensive and then there is the need to sort out apps, emails etc.

I quite like the Xperia mail client. I use mine with Office 365 exchange mail and haven't had any issues. That's on an Xperia Z1. The office apps on the Lumia will be better though. Office 365 now becoming Microsofts flagship business suite.

Xperia layer over Android is also nice, and Sony are a lot more developer friendly than a lot of other manufacturers that ship handsets with android.

I'd take a look at both if you can.
(07 Jan 2014, 9:35 pm)aureolin wrote I quite like the Xperia mail client. I use mine with Office 365 exchange mail and haven't had any issues. That's on an Xperia Z1. The office apps on the Lumia will be better though. Office 365 now becoming Microsofts flagship business suite.

Xperia layer over Android is also nice, and Sony are a lot more developer friendly than a lot of other manufacturers that ship handsets with android.

I'd take a look at both if you can.

Aye, will do. Cheers.

Had a good look at the z1, seems a great phone - but however much I try, I just can't justify it.
Re: RE: Mobile Phones
(07 Jan 2014, 10:02 pm)andreos1 wrote Aye, will do. Cheers.

Had a good look at the z1, seems a great phone - but however much I try, I just can't justify it.

Neither can I. Most certainly a buy now think later purchase. Sad
(21 Sep 2013, 5:16 pm)Dan wrote If you want low signal and shoddy customer service, feel free to join giffgaff!
They have some great Pay & Go tariffs, but you get very little opportunity to use those texts, minutes and data from my experience...

Just spotted this from months ago.

Never had any issues, apart from the o2 related ones.

Sitting here with full 3.5g signal and paying pennies for it!
Site Administrator
(07 Jan 2014, 10:22 pm)andreos1 wrote Just spotted this from months ago.

Never had any issues, apart from the o2 related ones.

Sitting here with full 3.5g signal and paying pennies for it!

My mam's still foolish enough to remain on the network. She recently topped up and the voucher didn't work - she has absolutely no idea who to get in touch with because she read some forum posts on their website and it is a vicious circle of blaming anyone and everyone.

I switched back to O2 briefly after I had issues with giffgaff, hoping they would give me a better deal on a contract for being an existing customer (always kept my SIM, don't think I was on giffgaff for that long)... Nope. They weren't competitive with EE's deals at all, so I left 'em.
(08 Jan 2014, 6:58 am)Dan wrote My mam's still foolish enough to remain on the network. She recently topped up and the voucher didn't work - she has absolutely no idea who to get in touch with because she read some forum posts on their website and it is a vicious circle of blaming anyone and everyone.

I switched back to O2 briefly after I had issues with giffgaff, hoping they would give me a better deal on a contract for being an existing customer (always kept my SIM, don't think I was on giffgaff for that long)... Nope. They weren't competitive with EE's deals at all, so I left 'em.

Tell her to log on and have a word with an agent, rather than a forum member.

I always have a continuous goodybag, so it just debits money from account, like a contract.

Must admit, although quirky, the idea of having Joe sitting in his boxers answering the questions a bit of a downside.
Doubt it would be as cheap otherwise.
Site Administrator
(08 Jan 2014, 7:57 am)andreos1 wrote Tell her to log on and have a word with an agent, rather than a forum member.

I always have a continuous goodybag, so it just debits money from account, like a contract.

Must admit, although quirky, the idea of having Joe sitting in his boxers answering the questions a bit of a downside.
Doubt it would be as cheap otherwise.

After asking on the forum she managed to fo that. Got a reply today after a week or so, and the agent asked her for the receipt details.
Must say I prefer talking to someone face to face when I've got a problem - prefer the instantaneous reply side to it.
(08 Jan 2014, 6:58 am)Dan wrote My mam's still foolish enough to remain on the network. She recently topped up and the voucher didn't work - she has absolutely no idea who to get in touch with because she read some forum posts on their website and it is a vicious circle of blaming anyone and everyone.

I'm on EE, but another family member is on Tesco Mobile, and gets free credit every month.
Site Administrator
(08 Jan 2014, 8:05 am)Tom wrote I'm on EE, but another family member is on Tesco Mobile, and gets free credit every month.

Think the only reason why me mam sticks with giffgaff is the fact she only has to top up a tenner to get two month's worth of texts etc.

She's on that Hokey Cokey deal for anyone familiar with gg, and me being on a different network means one thing for her... unlimited free minutes.
Stuck the folks on giffgaff, but they're on one of the cheap deals - the perk being that as well as getting stacks for their money inc free texts and calls to their favourite son, whenever anyone rings them - their call allowance increases a minute, for each minute they're on the phone.

Anyway - plumped for the Lumia (can't remember model number) over the Xperia and a Samsung Windows Phone.
Found a good sim free deal on Amazon, so will be playing with that over the weekend hopefully (depending on when my new GiffGaff micro sim turns up)!
Windows 8 on a phone, works better than windows 8 on a laptop!

The only thing I don't like, is when typing 'that', autocorrect suggests 'Thatcher'. Huh