You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Service Suggestions

RE: Arriva North East: Service Suggestions
(25 Oct 2015, 1:41 pm)DanPicken wrote Seems pathetic there excuse is we don't have enough why didn't they buy enough?

Don't know.

There is no point of the StreetLites being on the 35. Theres a 50% chance of getting a non-WiFi vehicle.
The vehicles on the Whitley Bay 306s arriving there from 1430 drop off to work the X6 from Cobalt (bar the decker turn which does a school run first). Otherwise you end up with other routes dropping out to do X6s.
(25 Oct 2015, 1:15 pm)NK53 TKT wrote I always use the X9 to get to Cramlington, even though it takes longer BECAUSE it avoids the A19. That would annoy me and the people in Beacon Hill would have no bus to Newcastle. The rest I like

Sorry, forgot to mention that the current X9 would be renumbered service X6.
(25 Oct 2015, 1:44 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Don't know.

There is no point of the StreetLites being on the 35. Theres a 50% chance of getting a non-WiFi vehicle.
Mad a route is either branded or not branded, least if there's no WiFi you get the seats that you sink into  Sleepy
(25 Oct 2015, 8:37 pm)NK53 TKT wrote Mad a route is either branded or not branded, least if there's no WiFi you get the seats that you sink into  Sleepy

Or you get a bus that may have seats that you can sink into, but can't get on as there is a wheelchair/buggy/trolley/seat hogging idiot in the wheelchair/pushchair space. 

What the 35 needs is a high capacity double deck vehicle with separated wheelchair and pushchair spaces.
(27 Oct 2015, 2:32 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Or you get a bus that may have seats that you can sink into, but can't get on as there is a wheelchair/buggy/trolley/seat hogging idiot in the wheelchair/pushchair space. 

What the 35 needs is a high capacity double deck vehicle with separated wheelchair and pushchair spaces.

Enviro 500 Tongue
Boxing Day service from Blyth Depot between 0800 and 1900ish:

X21 (PVR = 2):
- Every 60 mins between Ashington and Newcastle. Same route as X21 to Bedlington then X22 to Newcastle

X10/X11 (PVR = 5):
- Every 60 mins each serving normal routes between Blyth and Cramlington then 43 route between Cramlington and Newcastle

X14 (PVR = 3):
- Every 60 mins serving same route as 35 to Morpeth then normal route from there to Newcastle

306/308 (PVR = 8):
- Normal Sunday service (almost) but all boards provided by Blyth Depot

Will add to this later.
(26 Dec 2015, 5:15 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Boxing Day service from Blyth Depot between 0800 and 1900ish:

X21 (PVR = 2):
- Every 60 mins between Ashington and Newcastle. Same route as X21 to Bedlington then X22 to Newcastle

X10/X11 (PVR = 5):
- Every 60 mins each serving normal routes between Blyth and Cramlington then 43 route between Cramlington and Newcastle

X14 (PVR = 3):
- Every 60 mins serving same route as 35 to Morpeth then normal route from there to Newcastle

306/308 (PVR = 8):
- Normal Sunday service (almost) but all boards provided by Blyth Depot

Will add to this later.

X21/X22 both operate every 30 minutes combined along normal routes curtailed at Ashington and interworking.

X14 runs half-hourly between Morpeth and Newcastle as a stand alone service.

X7 operates along normal route providing a link to Seaton Delaval Interworks with X10 which operates via Wide Open. 

Service X18 operates between Alnwick and Morpeth only along usual route, but Interworks with 35 and passengers loaded onto a waiting X14, this ensures that delays in Newcastle don't cause knock-on effects to service 35.
(26 Dec 2015, 5:48 pm)GX03 SVC wrote X21/X22 both operate every 30 minutes combined along normal routes curtailed at Ashington and interworking.

35 operates as a stand alone route. 

X14 runs half-hourly between Morpeth and Newcastle.

X7 operates along normal route providing a link to Seaton Delaval Interworks with X10 which operates via Wide Open. 

Service X18 operates between Alnwick and Morpeth only along usual route, but Interworks with 35 and passengers loaded onto a waiting X14, this ensures that delays in Newcastle don't cause knock-on effects to service 35.

Would it not be a better idea, if operating the X18, to operate from Ashington depot instead?
(26 Dec 2015, 6:22 pm)S813 FVK wrote Confused...would the 35 be a standalone route or would it interwork with the X18?

I think, in GX03 SVC's suggestion, the 35 would interwork with the X14, the X18 being standalone.
(26 Dec 2015, 6:25 pm)mb134 wrote I think, in GX03 SVC's suggestion, the 35 would interwork with the X14, the X18 being standalone.

Apologies, 35 interworks with X18 (Morpeth-Alnwick), forgot to remove the stand alone part when I had a rethink.
Passengers would have to change in Morpeth from a 35 or X18 onto the X14. The 35 and X18 would interwork.

What I'm going to do later is try and time the following boards:

- X10 / X11 / 44/ 45

- 35 / X14

- X18

The 306, 308 and X7 would be no issue to run on Boxing Day. It's the other routes and although a near enough Sunday service could be justified in the future and more depots opening, costs initially have to be kept to a minimum and that includes keeping one depot open. Drivers from Jesmond and Ashington could also apply for overtime if not enough drivers from Blyth were available.
(26 Dec 2015, 6:31 pm)DaveyBowyer wrote Passengers would have to change in Morpeth from a 35 or X18 onto the X14. The 35 and X18 would interwork.

What I'm going to do later is try and time the following boards:

- X10 / X11 / 44/ 45

- 35 / X14

- X18

The 306, 308 and X7 would be no issue to run on Boxing Day. It's the other routes and although a near enough Sunday service could be justified in the future and more depots opening, costs initially have to be kept to a minimum and that includes keeping one depot open. Drivers from Jesmond and Ashington could also apply for overtime if not enough drivers from Blyth were available.
If you're operating this all from one depot, I think drivers from all three would be needed, I imagine these timetables will be tight. A Blyth driver who has been shown the route once isn't going to know where to make up time as well as a Jesmond or Ashington driver would, who drive the route day in day out.
(26 Dec 2015, 7:26 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Services 1 and 2 have to run on Boxing Day too. The 1 between Blyth and Ashington and the 2 between Morpeth and Blyth is just like the 35 in terms of demand.

The 2 could maybe run but most of the 1 north of the River Blyth is covered by the X21. I'll draw something up.
I expect that if we are to start doing a limited Boxing Day service, it would work from one single depot just like Yorkshire operate their services.
(26 Dec 2015, 9:13 pm)tyresmoke wrote I expect that if we are to start doing a limited Boxing Day service, it would work from one single depot just like Yorkshire operate their services.

Ashington depot - as they have the highest spec vehicles (Sapphire) which can be used on MAX routes.

35/X18 - PVR 5 - 3x MAX X20 B7s and 2x MAX E400 - interworks at Morpeth, providing short Alnwick-Morpeth service. As one X20 B7 will be at Alnwick, 2x MAX E400 will cover that vehicle.
X21/X22 - PVR 4 - 4x Sapphire X21/X22 E400 - interworks at Ashington with no service to Newbiggin
121 - PVR 1 - 1x Arriva MPD - providing shuttle bus between Ashington and Wansbeck Hospital
X10 - PVR 4 - 4x Sapphire X21/X22 E400 - X10 extended to Ashington via Bebside and 1 route, also runs via Wide Open.
X7 - PVR 2 - 2x Sapphire X21/X22 E400
X14 - PVR 3 - 3x Sapphire X21/X22 E400 - Every 30 minutes
2 - PVR 2 - 2x Arriva MPD 

In total:-
13x Sapphire Enviro400s
2x MAX E400s

3x MAX X20 B7s
3x Arriva MPDs
(26 Dec 2015, 9:44 pm)GX03 SVC wrote Ashington depot - as they have the highest spec vehicles (Sapphire) which can be used on MAX routes.

35/X18 - PVR 4 - 3x MAX X20 B7s and 1x Sapphire X21/X22 E400 - interworks at Morpeth, providing short Alnwick-Morpeth service. As one X20 B7 will be at Alnwick, a Sapphire E400 will cover that vehicle.
X21/X22 - PVR 4 - 4x Sapphire X21/X22 E400 - interworks at Ashington with no service to Newbiggin
121 - PVR 1 - 1x Arriva MPD - providing shuttle bus between Ashington and Wansbeck Hospital
X10 - PVR 4 - 4x Sapphire X21/X22 E400 - X10 extended to Ashington via Bebside and 1 route, also runs via Wide Open.
X7 - PVR 2 - 2x Sapphire X21/X22 E400
X14 - PVR 4 - 4x Sapphire X21/X22 E400 - Every 30 minutes
2 - PVR 2 - 2x Arriva MPD 

In total:-
15x Sapphire Enviro400s
3x MAX X20 B7s
3x Arriva MPDs
Was thinking Ashington was far more logical than Blyth, as they also have a higher number of high capacity vehicles if needed.Far better location wise as well.
New service: X31 Blyth - Newcastle via Waterloo Road, Renwick Road, Albion Way, Brierley Road, Tynedale Drive, Cowpen Road, Bebside Front Street, Bebside Road, Horton Road, A189, A19, A1 then current X30 route into Newcastle.

This service would run at peak times and will provide a quick link into Newcastle for people living in Cowpen and Bebside.
I think its long overdue that there was some level of service on some routes on Boxing Day. On the one just gone, there was people waiting at bus stops in Saltburn and East Cleveland (they'd have had a long, cold wait!) and must've expected a Sunday service.

Just the main Sapphire or Max routes, even just to a limited timetable .. but surely well planned and publicised operating times ahead of the day itself would get quite a lot of bums on seats. Workers as well as shoppers, or people travelling to or from family.

It's 2016 and high time Arriva gave it a try.
I would still love to see Sapphire 7 be increased to half hourly operation on Sunday daytimes.

From what I've seen the Sunday service on the 8 seems to carry fairly low passengers numbers outside of the Darlington section of the route and the timekeeping at times is pretty poor, saw it running 20 minutes late this afternoon! Think it would be better to scrap the 8 on a Sunday and possibly either extended the 56 to run Durham - Bishop Auckland like the daytime service or have two separate 56's with one running as it does now (Durham - Stobb Cross) and also have a 56 run between Bishop Auckland and Ferryhill possibly interworking with service 5A at Bishop Auckland. Service 7 could possibly be diverted on Sundays to serve Ferryhill Station on Sunday daytimes in place of the 8.

Problem with these suggestions is they would likely to result in more resources being required, possibly only one bus but still it's an extra bus out.
Trying to look at how links between Guisborough and Saltburn can be improved - not the easiest.

The only thing I can think of, is an extension of the X3A, which involves re-routing the service in Skelton.

Rather than the current Saltburn - Skelton - Asda - Skelton -Saltburn; I would re-route it as Saltburn - Asda - Skelton - Guisborough. It would use the bypass to Asda, then High St, Coniston Road, Marske Lane, A173, Guisborough.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(17 Jan 2016, 9:08 pm)Andreos1 wrote Trying to look at how links between Guisborough and Saltburn can be improved - not the easiest.

The only thing I can think of, is an extension of the X3A, which involves re-routing the service in Skelton.

Rather than the current Saltburn - Skelton - Asda - Skelton -Saltburn; I would re-route it as Saltburn - Asda - Skelton - Guisborough. It would use the bypass to Asda, then High St, Coniston Road, Marske Lane, A173, Guisborough.

It depends on how successful at present the X3/X4 is doing on the 'core'. You could go every 10 on the Middlesbrough-Saltburn secition of the routes then have the X4 every 20 to Whitby (all the way as the X4), an hourly X3 to Lingdale, an hourly X3a as now to Skelton ASDA then the X3b could do the Guisborough-Saltburn service but you would have to find a way for it to run between the two without taking on the 5/5a between Skelton and Guisborough.