Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Arriva North East Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes

Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes

Arriva North East: Upcoming Service Changes

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Pages (181) Previous 161 62 63181 Next
Dan

Site Administrator

05 Jan 2016, 2:33 pm #1,221
(05 Jan 2016, 2:13 pm)Adrian This is what happens when you promote something as 'no quibble' though. If you ask for your money back, they can't say no, otherwise it'd be 'quibbling'...?

It's a stupid guarantee anyway, and one full of flaws.

My original point exactly. Other operators have schemes in place to offer compensation in the form of vouchers, but don't brand it as 'no-quibble'. They wouldn't have the same problem that Arriva could potentially face.

As the shuttle bus is numbered 'X12', like the normal MAX specification service, it'd surely be worth trying to complain about the lack of a MAX-spec bus operating the service between Gateshead and Low Fell!
Dan
05 Jan 2016, 2:33 pm #1,221

(05 Jan 2016, 2:13 pm)Adrian This is what happens when you promote something as 'no quibble' though. If you ask for your money back, they can't say no, otherwise it'd be 'quibbling'...?

It's a stupid guarantee anyway, and one full of flaws.

My original point exactly. Other operators have schemes in place to offer compensation in the form of vouchers, but don't brand it as 'no-quibble'. They wouldn't have the same problem that Arriva could potentially face.

As the shuttle bus is numbered 'X12', like the normal MAX specification service, it'd surely be worth trying to complain about the lack of a MAX-spec bus operating the service between Gateshead and Low Fell!

05 Jan 2016, 2:39 pm #1,222
The shuttle bus X12 should have really been numbered as temporary route - 112. This avoids confusion to passengers, which will be wanting to go to either Durham and Newcastle, and also reinforces the fact that it isn't a Max service.

The no-quibble money back guarentee is open to misuse, and has been. Promoting misuse (as a few posts up) on a public forum is embarrassing to members and bus companies alike.
omnicity4659
05 Jan 2016, 2:39 pm #1,222

The shuttle bus X12 should have really been numbered as temporary route - 112. This avoids confusion to passengers, which will be wanting to go to either Durham and Newcastle, and also reinforces the fact that it isn't a Max service.

The no-quibble money back guarentee is open to misuse, and has been. Promoting misuse (as a few posts up) on a public forum is embarrassing to members and bus companies alike.

Davie

Banned

05 Jan 2016, 3:09 pm #1,223
(05 Jan 2016, 2:33 pm)Dan My original point exactly. Other operators have schemes in place to offer compensation in the form of vouchers, but don't brand it as 'no-quibble'. They wouldn't have the same problem that Arriva could potentially face.

Well... Arriva Northumbia had any sense that would have done that, or something similar.
Davie
05 Jan 2016, 3:09 pm #1,223

(05 Jan 2016, 2:33 pm)Dan My original point exactly. Other operators have schemes in place to offer compensation in the form of vouchers, but don't brand it as 'no-quibble'. They wouldn't have the same problem that Arriva could potentially face.

Well... Arriva Northumbia had any sense that would have done that, or something similar.

Adrian

05 Jan 2016, 4:57 pm #1,224
(05 Jan 2016, 2:39 pm)GX03 SVC The shuttle bus X12 should have really been numbered as temporary route - 112. This avoids confusion to passengers, which will be wanting to go to either Durham and Newcastle, and also reinforces the fact that it isn't a Max service.

That's the problem with it. There's actually no way to misuse the guarantee, as there's no terms and conditions associated it. I stand by what I say though - it's a stupid guarantee and it's full of flaws. 

Getting my money back serves no purpose to me, as I need to pay for a daily commute anyway. I'd prefer a proper and personal response from customer services, rather than a standard response and free journey voucher.

(05 Jan 2016, 3:09 pm)Davie Well... Arriva Northumbia  had any sense that would have done that, or something similar.

How do they not have any sense? It's a commercial decision, and I can see the logic in both arguments. 

Numbering it the X12 avoids confusion from customers, who will be looking out for an X12 bus. On the other hand, I can see why they'd number it specifically as a shuttle, given that it's only travelling between Gateshead and Low Fell.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
05 Jan 2016, 4:57 pm #1,224

(05 Jan 2016, 2:39 pm)GX03 SVC The shuttle bus X12 should have really been numbered as temporary route - 112. This avoids confusion to passengers, which will be wanting to go to either Durham and Newcastle, and also reinforces the fact that it isn't a Max service.

That's the problem with it. There's actually no way to misuse the guarantee, as there's no terms and conditions associated it. I stand by what I say though - it's a stupid guarantee and it's full of flaws. 

Getting my money back serves no purpose to me, as I need to pay for a daily commute anyway. I'd prefer a proper and personal response from customer services, rather than a standard response and free journey voucher.

(05 Jan 2016, 3:09 pm)Davie Well... Arriva Northumbia  had any sense that would have done that, or something similar.

How do they not have any sense? It's a commercial decision, and I can see the logic in both arguments. 

Numbering it the X12 avoids confusion from customers, who will be looking out for an X12 bus. On the other hand, I can see why they'd number it specifically as a shuttle, given that it's only travelling between Gateshead and Low Fell.

Dan

Site Administrator

05 Jan 2016, 5:07 pm #1,225
(05 Jan 2016, 2:39 pm)GX03 SVC The no-quibble money back guarentee is open to misuse, and has been. Promoting misuse (as a few posts up) on a public forum is embarrassing to members and bus companies alike.

(05 Jan 2016, 4:57 pm)Adrian That's the problem with it. There's actually no way to misuse the guarantee, as there's no terms and conditions associated it. I stand by what I say though - it's a stupid guarantee and it's full of flaws.

I can only reiterate what Adrian has said above, though I feel the need to question what you mean by the 'embarrassing to bus companies' remark?
Dan
05 Jan 2016, 5:07 pm #1,225

(05 Jan 2016, 2:39 pm)GX03 SVC The no-quibble money back guarentee is open to misuse, and has been. Promoting misuse (as a few posts up) on a public forum is embarrassing to members and bus companies alike.

(05 Jan 2016, 4:57 pm)Adrian That's the problem with it. There's actually no way to misuse the guarantee, as there's no terms and conditions associated it. I stand by what I say though - it's a stupid guarantee and it's full of flaws.

I can only reiterate what Adrian has said above, though I feel the need to question what you mean by the 'embarrassing to bus companies' remark?

BusLoverMum

05 Jan 2016, 7:28 pm #1,226
(05 Jan 2016, 2:06 pm)scania driver Constant shuffling of the pack ! Every six or so months just as the punters are getting "used" to things its all thrown in the mix under the auspicies of making services more reliable and listening to what customers want. Want we want is consistency. When I was first introduced (OK this is a few years ago) we had in East Cleveland what I would call a complete bus service. Services ran between Redcar and Lofus with connections to Lingdale and Saltburn; and through fares. The whole thing ran like clockwork. Then there was the services between Loftus and Middlesbrough with extensions to Whitby. Again it ran like clockwork and hey they used to have to duplicate services on a weekend to cope with demand. OK so I reminise (and dream probably) but what do we have now with this continual tinkering in what is, in essence, the objective of saving money and resources. Take for example the recent shuffling of services X66/67 to remove service 6. It's got little to do with what customers want.

On another theme, and one I've wanting to bring to the table for a while. For my sins I'm living in Hartlepool at present with all my friends etc in Middlesbrough, Redcar and Darligton (Arrivaland) I was amazed to find there was/is no direct (fast) between Pool and Darlington; 3 hours either way via either Peterlee or Durham is unthinkable. Then there is the cost factor isn't there? We know Stagecoach NE hold sway across here so we have 2 fares if I want to go to Darlington, or face the ordeal of travelling Arriva via the aforementioned points on a Day Ticket, same going to Redcar, Saltburn or Whitby. Yes we have the Explorer tickets but that only shaves a couple of quid of the cost and does nothing re the time involved. All I'll say is roll on the day I can draw my pension.
Well that couple of quid does add up, if you make the journey from Hartlepool to Darlo regularly and it's just over 2 hours via Stockton from town centre to town centre.

Or you can get the train, in 1 hour 10 minutes, for £8.30, which is cheaper than an explorer.
BusLoverMum
05 Jan 2016, 7:28 pm #1,226

(05 Jan 2016, 2:06 pm)scania driver Constant shuffling of the pack ! Every six or so months just as the punters are getting "used" to things its all thrown in the mix under the auspicies of making services more reliable and listening to what customers want. Want we want is consistency. When I was first introduced (OK this is a few years ago) we had in East Cleveland what I would call a complete bus service. Services ran between Redcar and Lofus with connections to Lingdale and Saltburn; and through fares. The whole thing ran like clockwork. Then there was the services between Loftus and Middlesbrough with extensions to Whitby. Again it ran like clockwork and hey they used to have to duplicate services on a weekend to cope with demand. OK so I reminise (and dream probably) but what do we have now with this continual tinkering in what is, in essence, the objective of saving money and resources. Take for example the recent shuffling of services X66/67 to remove service 6. It's got little to do with what customers want.

On another theme, and one I've wanting to bring to the table for a while. For my sins I'm living in Hartlepool at present with all my friends etc in Middlesbrough, Redcar and Darligton (Arrivaland) I was amazed to find there was/is no direct (fast) between Pool and Darlington; 3 hours either way via either Peterlee or Durham is unthinkable. Then there is the cost factor isn't there? We know Stagecoach NE hold sway across here so we have 2 fares if I want to go to Darlington, or face the ordeal of travelling Arriva via the aforementioned points on a Day Ticket, same going to Redcar, Saltburn or Whitby. Yes we have the Explorer tickets but that only shaves a couple of quid of the cost and does nothing re the time involved. All I'll say is roll on the day I can draw my pension.
Well that couple of quid does add up, if you make the journey from Hartlepool to Darlo regularly and it's just over 2 hours via Stockton from town centre to town centre.

Or you can get the train, in 1 hour 10 minutes, for £8.30, which is cheaper than an explorer.

05 Jan 2016, 7:35 pm #1,227
(29 Dec 2015, 7:35 pm)Dan Make the most of your no-quibble money back guarantees, folks!

(05 Jan 2016, 5:07 pm)Dan I can only reiterate what Adrian has said above, though I feel the need to question what you mean by the 'embarrassing to bus companies' remark?

Above comment promotes unnecessary use of the no-quibble money back guarantee. 

Not like you could claim as temporary shuttle services and other factors that are not Arriva issues, mean that the claim would be rejected.

It makes the forum look silly with remarks like that, in my opinion.
Edited 05 Jan 2016, 7:35 pm by omnicity4659.
omnicity4659
05 Jan 2016, 7:35 pm #1,227

(29 Dec 2015, 7:35 pm)Dan Make the most of your no-quibble money back guarantees, folks!

(05 Jan 2016, 5:07 pm)Dan I can only reiterate what Adrian has said above, though I feel the need to question what you mean by the 'embarrassing to bus companies' remark?

Above comment promotes unnecessary use of the no-quibble money back guarantee. 

Not like you could claim as temporary shuttle services and other factors that are not Arriva issues, mean that the claim would be rejected.

DanPicken

Banned

05 Jan 2016, 7:37 pm #1,228
(05 Jan 2016, 7:35 pm)GX03 SVC Above comment promotes unnecessary use of the no-quibble money back guarantee. 

I agree, they stated it won't be MAX operated on their website.
DanPicken
05 Jan 2016, 7:37 pm #1,228

(05 Jan 2016, 7:35 pm)GX03 SVC Above comment promotes unnecessary use of the no-quibble money back guarantee. 

I agree, they stated it won't be MAX operated on their website.

LeeCalder

05 Jan 2016, 7:39 pm #1,229

If I'm honest, I agree.

It's a shuttle which has been provided for the benefit of the passengers.
LeeCalder
05 Jan 2016, 7:39 pm #1,229

If I'm honest, I agree.

Adrian

05 Jan 2016, 7:45 pm #1,230

Could either of you point me in the direction of the terms and conditions of the 'no-quibble money back guarantee' please? Given that I've asked Arriva for it previously, and they've told me there aren't any, I'm not sure where this 'other factors that are not Arriva issues' comes from? Of course, it's a line you'd expect to see in a set of terms and conditions...

I took the original remark was a tongue in cheek comment, on the back of previous discussions around such a daft guarantee system being in place. Not a promotion of misuse.

(05 Jan 2016, 7:39 pm)LeeCalder If I'm honest, I agree.

I'd argue the shuttle bus has been provided for the benefit of the company, rather than the passengers. It'd cost a lot more to add resource to the full route to accommodate, so a shuttle bus remains the cheapest option.

Adrian
05 Jan 2016, 7:45 pm #1,230

Could either of you point me in the direction of the terms and conditions of the 'no-quibble money back guarantee' please? Given that I've asked Arriva for it previously, and they've told me there aren't any, I'm not sure where this 'other factors that are not Arriva issues' comes from? Of course, it's a line you'd expect to see in a set of terms and conditions...

I took the original remark was a tongue in cheek comment, on the back of previous discussions around such a daft guarantee system being in place. Not a promotion of misuse.

(05 Jan 2016, 7:39 pm)LeeCalder If I'm honest, I agree.

I'd argue the shuttle bus has been provided for the benefit of the company, rather than the passengers. It'd cost a lot more to add resource to the full route to accommodate, so a shuttle bus remains the cheapest option.

Cock Robin

06 Jan 2016, 1:53 pm #1,231

Yes its ridiculous. Totally confusing for passengers. Always trying to save a bit of money.
Cock Robin
06 Jan 2016, 1:53 pm #1,231

Yes its ridiculous. Totally confusing for passengers. Always trying to save a bit of money.

Cock Robin

06 Jan 2016, 1:54 pm #1,232

Totally agree on the second point as well.
Cock Robin
06 Jan 2016, 1:54 pm #1,232

Totally agree on the second point as well.

Cock Robin

06 Jan 2016, 1:56 pm #1,233

Not for the first time!
Cock Robin
06 Jan 2016, 1:56 pm #1,233

Not for the first time!

06 Jan 2016, 2:00 pm #1,234

You say that but then you have to imagine the amount of complaints the company would receive because the X12 'hasn't turned up'
palatine3833
06 Jan 2016, 2:00 pm #1,234

You say that but then you have to imagine the amount of complaints the company would receive because the X12 'hasn't turned up'

06 Jan 2016, 2:07 pm #1,235
(05 Jan 2016, 7:45 pm)Adrian Could either of you point me in the direction of the terms and conditions of the 'no-quibble money back guarantee' please? Given that I've asked Arriva for it previously, and they've told me there aren't any, I'm not sure where this 'other factors that are not Arriva issues' comes from? Of course, it's a line you'd expect to see in a set of terms and conditions...

The service has been provided to benefit the passengers as it is a method to keep the service 'on time'.  I personally don't see a reason as to why it was needed as the X12 could have simply followed the diversion which the 21 is following.  However, for once, Arriva has planned for the worst case scenario which I sincerely doubt anyone will compliment them on.  By adding extra resources into the route to allow it to operate normally would involve a significant layover at some location which would mean a temporary timetable change for a 4 month period which (in my opinion) isn't beneficial for passengers.
palatine3833
06 Jan 2016, 2:07 pm #1,235

(05 Jan 2016, 7:45 pm)Adrian Could either of you point me in the direction of the terms and conditions of the 'no-quibble money back guarantee' please? Given that I've asked Arriva for it previously, and they've told me there aren't any, I'm not sure where this 'other factors that are not Arriva issues' comes from? Of course, it's a line you'd expect to see in a set of terms and conditions...

The service has been provided to benefit the passengers as it is a method to keep the service 'on time'.  I personally don't see a reason as to why it was needed as the X12 could have simply followed the diversion which the 21 is following.  However, for once, Arriva has planned for the worst case scenario which I sincerely doubt anyone will compliment them on.  By adding extra resources into the route to allow it to operate normally would involve a significant layover at some location which would mean a temporary timetable change for a 4 month period which (in my opinion) isn't beneficial for passengers.

Adrian

06 Jan 2016, 7:06 pm #1,236
(06 Jan 2016, 2:07 pm)palatine3833 The service has been provided to benefit the passengers as it is a method to keep the service 'on time'.  I personally don't see a reason as to why it was needed as the X12 could have simply followed the diversion which the 21 is following.  However, for once, Arriva has planned for the worst case scenario which I sincerely doubt anyone will compliment them on.  By adding extra resources into the route to allow it to operate normally would involve a significant layover at some location which would mean a temporary timetable change for a 4 month period which (in my opinion) isn't beneficial for passengers.

I'd say if planned works over a prolonged period of time mean that the timetable isn't achievable, then it does need to be temporarily changed. As you're already aware, the timetable has been changed, but to temporarily omit the Interchange rather than alter the timings. A shuttle bus has instead been registered to provide a service between Low Fell and Gateshead.

It was one of two options, and I maintain the opinion that this is the cheapest of the two options, thus benefiting the company. I'd argue that having to change buses would inconvenience customers more than having a few minutes added to their journey time each way. It'd probably take more than that to switch buses. 

I am curious as to how the shuttle operates with the reliability of the X12 in general? It's not exactly the greatest at maintaining any form of schedule, and I'd wonder what happens to the shuttle, on the regular occasions you have two X12s about 5-10 minutes apart? If there's only one bus operating the shuttle, then those passengers are going to be waiting at Low Fell for it coming back from Gateshead.

Adrian
06 Jan 2016, 7:06 pm #1,236

(06 Jan 2016, 2:07 pm)palatine3833 The service has been provided to benefit the passengers as it is a method to keep the service 'on time'.  I personally don't see a reason as to why it was needed as the X12 could have simply followed the diversion which the 21 is following.  However, for once, Arriva has planned for the worst case scenario which I sincerely doubt anyone will compliment them on.  By adding extra resources into the route to allow it to operate normally would involve a significant layover at some location which would mean a temporary timetable change for a 4 month period which (in my opinion) isn't beneficial for passengers.

I'd say if planned works over a prolonged period of time mean that the timetable isn't achievable, then it does need to be temporarily changed. As you're already aware, the timetable has been changed, but to temporarily omit the Interchange rather than alter the timings. A shuttle bus has instead been registered to provide a service between Low Fell and Gateshead.

It was one of two options, and I maintain the opinion that this is the cheapest of the two options, thus benefiting the company. I'd argue that having to change buses would inconvenience customers more than having a few minutes added to their journey time each way. It'd probably take more than that to switch buses. 

I am curious as to how the shuttle operates with the reliability of the X12 in general? It's not exactly the greatest at maintaining any form of schedule, and I'd wonder what happens to the shuttle, on the regular occasions you have two X12s about 5-10 minutes apart? If there's only one bus operating the shuttle, then those passengers are going to be waiting at Low Fell for it coming back from Gateshead.

BusLoverMum

06 Jan 2016, 7:18 pm #1,237
They might end up having to do that anyway, if the Durham roadworks over the next few months are going to cause delays like the bridge works did. As it is, there's no slack in the timetable - they already took some stops out, recently, as it wasn't keeping time.
BusLoverMum
06 Jan 2016, 7:18 pm #1,237

They might end up having to do that anyway, if the Durham roadworks over the next few months are going to cause delays like the bridge works did. As it is, there's no slack in the timetable - they already took some stops out, recently, as it wasn't keeping time.

Adrian

06 Jan 2016, 7:37 pm #1,238
(06 Jan 2016, 7:18 pm)BusLoverMum They might end up having to do that anyway, if the Durham roadworks over the next few months are going to cause delays like the bridge works did. As it is, there's no slack in the timetable - they already took some stops out, recently, as it wasn't keeping time.

Aye, that's true! Fun and games for you on the 22  Big Grin

Adrian
06 Jan 2016, 7:37 pm #1,238

(06 Jan 2016, 7:18 pm)BusLoverMum They might end up having to do that anyway, if the Durham roadworks over the next few months are going to cause delays like the bridge works did. As it is, there's no slack in the timetable - they already took some stops out, recently, as it wasn't keeping time.

Aye, that's true! Fun and games for you on the 22  Big Grin

Cock Robin

07 Jan 2016, 2:00 pm #1,239
Is the X12 diversion in Gateshead the same as that affecting the X10? The X10 I was on Tuesday was only delayed a couple of minutes by the diversion. Then at the interchange the proper X12 AND the X12 shuttle came through - that shouldn't be should it?
Cock Robin
07 Jan 2016, 2:00 pm #1,239

Is the X12 diversion in Gateshead the same as that affecting the X10? The X10 I was on Tuesday was only delayed a couple of minutes by the diversion. Then at the interchange the proper X12 AND the X12 shuttle came through - that shouldn't be should it?

Andreos1

07 Jan 2016, 2:09 pm #1,240
(07 Jan 2016, 2:00 pm)Cock Robin Is the X12 diversion in Gateshead the same as that affecting the X10? The X10 I was on Tuesday was only delayed a couple of minutes by the diversion. Then at the interchange the proper X12 AND the X12 shuttle came through - that shouldn't be should it?

Yeah, they're both affected by the same diversion in Gateshead.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
07 Jan 2016, 2:09 pm #1,240

(07 Jan 2016, 2:00 pm)Cock Robin Is the X12 diversion in Gateshead the same as that affecting the X10? The X10 I was on Tuesday was only delayed a couple of minutes by the diversion. Then at the interchange the proper X12 AND the X12 shuttle came through - that shouldn't be should it?

Yeah, they're both affected by the same diversion in Gateshead.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Pages (181) Previous 161 62 63181 Next

• 4 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average