Menu

Pages (4)    1 2 3 4   
Malarkey   11 Sep 2015, 8:28 pm
(11 Sep 2015, 5:24 pm)Jimmi wrote It's a gig with a 11pm curfew so I should be alright, although I'm not making any promises [emoji1]

Might be tired though as I'll have to get up sometime before 6, so I hope I don't end up in the sleeping commuters thread [emoji1]
Unlike me who will be up at 4am and in a Taxi from my Dads by no later than 05:30am to Newcastle Central Station to catch the 6am Train to Edinburgh, heck by the time the rest of you get on a Train here in the North East I will already of been in Edinburgh for an Hour soaking in the sights and visiting various places before eventually going along to the Open Doors Event.
Jimmi   11 Sep 2015, 8:44 pm
(11 Sep 2015, 8:28 pm)Malarkey wrote Unlike me who will be up at 4am and in a Taxi from my Dads by no later than 05:30am to Newcastle Central Station to catch the 6am Train to Edinburgh, heck by the time the rest of you get on a Train here in the North East I will already of been in Edinburgh for an Hour soaking in the sights and visiting various places before eventually going along to the Open Doors Event.

I'll probably be getting up at around 05:45 and I probably won't be getting to bed until about midnight so it will certainly be intresting to see what state I'm in especially if I don't sleep well. I'll be getting on the bus to Darlington at 06:55 arriving at Darlington Town Centre for 07:25 and leaving Darlington Rail Station at 08:06 so I'll be arriving in Edinburgh at around 10:30.

I booked to head to this gig months ago and keep forgetting that I'm actually going to this, only remembered again earlier.
Malarkey   11 Sep 2015, 8:53 pm
(11 Sep 2015, 8:44 pm)Jimmi wrote I'll probably be getting up at around 05:45 and I probably won't be getting to bed until about midnight so it will certainly be intresting to see what state I'm in especially if I don't sleep well. I'll be getting on the bus to Darlington at 06:55 arriving at Darlington Town Centre for 07:25 and leaving Darlington Rail Station at 08:06 so I'll be arriving in Edinburgh at around 10:30.

I booked to head to this gig months ago and keep forgetting that I'm actually going to this, only remembered again earlier.

Well im either going to be at Work on Friday 25th or sitting at Home playing Fifa 16 all day if I am off, hoping I am off but I wont know that until Monday, safe to say I will be downing a litre Bottle of Lucozade just to get threw the day.
Malarkey   23 Sep 2015, 7:24 pm
Floor Plan for Saturday.
http://lothianbuses.com/assets/files/Doo...t_2015.pdf
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Michael   23 Sep 2015, 7:27 pm
(23 Sep 2015, 7:24 pm)Malarkey wrote Floor Plan for Saturday.

Jesus, how big is the depot?

Sounds like a good day but looks like i can't go...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Dan   23 Sep 2015, 7:36 pm
(23 Sep 2015, 7:27 pm)Michael wrote Jesus, how big is the depot?

Sounds like a good day but looks like i can't go...

Inside, with hundreds of people inside, not very big at all!

It looks like fewer vehicles will be on display this year in favour of a greater number of stalls etc. The large 'Vehicle Display' box will squeeze in around ten vehicles at most based on a photograph I got last year of about half of the vehicles in the same line-up (the bus wash trip queue is just behind the green single decker):

[Image: 15316610908_444c18a39d.jpg]Lothian Buses: Doors Open Day 2014 by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

Most of you have made a mistake by choosing to leave Edinburgh so early - you'll struggle to get decent photographs or you'll be waiting like a numpty at each bus to try and get a photograph of it without any people in-shot. I had to wait until 16:15 to get the shot above, and that was after the event officially closed to the public. I was with members of staff from Lothian Buses so luckily got some photographs that most others couldn't obtain.

I'm going up fairly early, but coming back quite late. I'll be spending most of my day out and about around Edinburgh, and only spending an hour or two at the depot before the event closes.
Malarkey   23 Sep 2015, 8:04 pm
(23 Sep 2015, 7:36 pm)Dan wrote Inside, with hundreds of people inside, not very big at all!

It looks like fewer vehicles will be on display this year in favour of a greater number of stalls etc. The large 'Vehicle Display' box will squeeze in around ten vehicles at most based on a photograph I got last year of about half of the vehicles in the same line-up (the bus wash trip queue is just behind the green single decker):

[Image: 15316610908_444c18a39d.jpg]Lothian Buses: Doors Open Day 2014 by Daniel Graham, on Flickr

Most of you have made a mistake by choosing to leave Edinburgh so early - you'll struggle to get decent photographs or you'll be waiting like a numpty at each bus to try and get a photograph of it without any people in-shot. I had to wait until 16:15 to get the shot above, and that was after the event officially closed to the public. I was with members of staff from Lothian Buses so luckily got some photographs that most others couldn't obtain.

I'm going up fairly early, but coming back quite late. I'll be spending most of my day out and about around Edinburgh, and only spending an hour or two at the depot before the event closes.

What time you heading up like Dan, as my plan is exactly the same for the first part of the day.
Jimmi   26 Sep 2015, 7:23 am
Edinburgh here I come!

Currently wondering who will be sat next to me from Newcastle.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
tyresmoke   26 Sep 2015, 7:39 am
(26 Sep 2015, 7:23 am)Jimmi wrote Edinburgh here I come!

Hope you all have a good day. Work for me...

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

S813 FVK   26 Sep 2015, 7:40 am
I love edinburgh. Id move there tomorrow if im given the opportunity.
Jimmi   26 Sep 2015, 7:43 am
(26 Sep 2015, 7:23 am)Jimmi wrote Edinburgh here I come!

A ghost it would appear, unless some muppet doesn't understand seat reservation.
Dan   26 Sep 2015, 7:56 am
(26 Sep 2015, 7:43 am)Jimmi wrote A ghost it would appear, unless some muppet doesn't understand seat reservation.

I've got a corker of a sleepy commuter!
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Jimmi   26 Sep 2015, 7:58 am
(26 Sep 2015, 7:56 am)Dan wrote I've got a corker of a sleepy commuter!
It's surprising I'm not one considering how little sleep I had last night.

You know what you have to try and do now.
Dan   26 Sep 2015, 7:59 am
(26 Sep 2015, 7:58 am)Jimmi wrote It's surprising I'm not one considering how little sleep I had last night.

You know what you have to try and do now.

I've already got it..! Give me a few minutes to find the thread... [emoji14]
Jimmi   26 Sep 2015, 8:01 am
Who on earth is camping next to the East Coast Mainline! Die hard rail enthusiasts maybe?
NK53 TKT   26 Sep 2015, 8:02 am
(23 Sep 2015, 7:24 pm)Malarkey wrote Floor Plan for Saturday.

I badly wish I could go, I will try next year I do prioritise the NEPBT's ones
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   26 Sep 2015, 9:46 am
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-ed...e-34368781
Could be something different for those of you up there today.
Not far from Edinburgh at all

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Malarkey   26 Sep 2015, 10:00 am
Any of you lot in Edinburgh yet, as im at Ocean Terminal if you want to meet up.
Malarkey   26 Sep 2015, 10:56 am
Queue is massive outside the depot.
Malarkey   26 Sep 2015, 6:19 pm
Volvo Electricity at Lothian Open Doors this afternoon - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalark...ed-public/
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
NK53 TKT   26 Sep 2015, 8:05 pm
(26 Sep 2015, 8:01 am)Jimmi wrote Who on earth is camping next to the East Coast Mainline! Die hard rail enthusiasts maybe?

Bit extreme :s
BusLoverMum   26 Sep 2015, 8:49 pm
(26 Sep 2015, 6:19 pm)Malarkey wrote Volvo Electricity at Lothian Open Doors this afternoon - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalark...ed-public/

V shiny.

GNE wouldn't like it. There's hardly anywhere to put any branding.

What's the range of these things, btw? They'd probably need a pretty extensive network of charging points or swappable batteries for most of the routes they have up here, wouldn't they?
northern156   26 Sep 2015, 11:18 pm
(26 Sep 2015, 8:01 am)Jimmi wrote Who on earth is camping next to the East Coast Mainline! Die hard rail enthusiasts maybe?

Is there anything wrong with linesiding? I don't think there is. People have different hobbies and interests.

Forum Moderator  |  Find us on facebook

[Image: 0a85ed5b4e97324e338555472f222830.png]
Dan   27 Sep 2015, 4:55 am
(26 Sep 2015, 8:49 pm)BusLoverMum wrote V shiny.

GNE wouldn't like it. There's hardly anywhere to put any branding.

What's the range of these things, btw? They'd probably need a pretty extensive network of charging points or swappable batteries for most of the routes they have up here, wouldn't they?

They're electric-hybrids.

Lothian are to introduce 20 new electric-hybrids by 2017 and they will carry a similar livery to the Volvo 7900 Hybrids. I'm not sure how publicly known it is which route is being upgraded, so I'll keep schtum for now.

When at a terminus, they will be 'plugged in' to charge the bus for the journey to the next terminus. There has been a few instances over the last week whereby the demonstration vehicle which Malarkey pictured broke down owing to the failure of one of the batteries, meaning it had to be towed back to the depot.

It is merely a prototype model, so the Volvo representative would not disclose information to me regarding the vehicle and infrastructure price.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
S813 FVK   27 Sep 2015, 7:39 am
Route 30 according to this article:
http://www.route-one.net/technology/loth...ic-future/
Dan   27 Sep 2015, 8:47 am
(27 Sep 2015, 7:39 am)S813 FVK wrote Route 30 according to this article:
http://www.route-one.net/technology/loth...ic-future/

Yes, that's correct.

Been there before with letting the cat out of the bag with Lothian investment, so was avoiding doing so again!
Malarkey   27 Sep 2015, 1:10 pm
(27 Sep 2015, 4:55 am)Dan wrote They're electric-hybrids.

Lothian are to introduce 20 new electric-hybrids by 2017 and they will carry a similar livery to the Volvo 7900 Hybrids. I'm not sure how publicly known it is which route is being upgraded, so I'll keep schtum for now.

When at a terminus, they will be 'plugged in' to charge the bus for the journey to the next terminus. There has been a few instances over the last week whereby the demonstration vehicle which Malarkey pictured broke down owing to the failure of one of the batteries, meaning it had to be towed back to the depot.

It is merely a prototype model, so the Volvo representative would not disclose information to me regarding the vehicle and infrastructure price.

The batteries would of failed due their being no Infrastructure in place in Edinburgh to therefore charge these Vehicles up, these Volvos along with the 20 7900s for Service 30 due in 2017, require a Pantograph which attaches to the Conductors in the Roof of the Vehicle at the Services Terminus to therefore charge the Batteries up, iirc there should be a 4 Page Article in the "New Technology in Buses" Thread, which I uploaded regarding the Volvo Electricity which provides more information on this Vehicle.
Malarkey   27 Sep 2015, 7:58 pm
Photos from the Lothian Open Doors Event - https://www.flickr.com/photos/adammalark...8752398410
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
NK53 TKT   09 Mar 2016, 6:51 pm
Is the going to be an open day this coming September?
Adrian   09 Mar 2016, 7:20 pm
(09 Mar 2016, 6:51 pm)NK53 TKT wrote Is the going to be an open day this coming September?

Probably, but they'll not announce it until about a month or so before.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Pages (4)    1 2 3 4