Menu

Pages (37)    120 21 2237   
Davie   15 Mar 2016, 5:15 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 5:15 pm)BJ10VUS wrote The Solar board is for a school service requirement, isn't it?
Yes.
S813 FVK   15 Mar 2016, 5:16 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 5:15 pm)BJ10VUS wrote The Solar board is for a school service requirement, isn't it?

Yes, or it used to be. - they are still 1 Versa short anyway.
South Tyne Lad   15 Mar 2016, 5:16 pm

Used to be a year or two ago, But now its allocated because of the shortage of South Tyne Versas.

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
DanPicken   15 Mar 2016, 5:17 pm

(15 Mar 2016, 5:15 pm)Davie wrote Yes.

No, it's because there isn't enough Versa's, when it was Cadets GNE had the Contract for the 819.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Davie   15 Mar 2016, 5:18 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 5:17 pm)DanPicken wrote No, it's because there isn't enough Versa's, when it was Cadets GNE had the Contract for the 819.
Never mind.
Michael   15 Mar 2016, 5:53 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 5:09 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote The 88/88A already has a Solar board allocated as there's not enough Versas, Though 2 will appear till Friday as Dan said 8295 is out till Friday for PSV.
Because of the lack of branded Versas, I think its a good move moving the 88/A to Riverside which have a wider veriety of buses ( Aswell as spare Versas )  to allocate in the event of a Versa being VOR.

Still no news on the routing of the 88A? or is it getting withdrawn and all services becoming service 88?

Nothing is changing on the 88/88A, i think the change was due to it moving to Riverside?

Full registration from VOSA:

PB0003954/677    
Variation Number
Status
Registered
Operator Name
GO NORTH EAST LIMITED
Service Number(s)
88 (88A)
Start Point
South Shields, Market
Finish Point
Hebburn, Lukes Lane Estate
Via

Service Type
Normal Stopping
Date Received
19-FEB-2016
Effective Date
17-APR-2016
End Date
-
TAOs covered by route
North East of England
Local Authorities covered by route
Nexus (Tyne & Wear)
N&P Reference

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
South Tyne Lad   15 Mar 2016, 6:07 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 5:53 pm)Michael wrote Nothing is changing on the 88/88A, i think the change was due to it moving to Riverside?

Full registration from VOSA:

PB0003954/677    
Variation Number
Status
Registered
Operator Name
GO NORTH EAST LIMITED
Service Number(s)
88 (88A)
Start Point
South Shields, Market
Finish Point
Hebburn, Lukes Lane Estate
Via

Service Type
Normal Stopping
Date Received
19-FEB-2016
Effective Date
17-APR-2016
End Date
-
TAOs covered by route
North East of England
Local Authorities covered by route
Nexus (Tyne & Wear)
N&P Reference

Ah right, Thanks for the info Smile

My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
Michael   15 Mar 2016, 6:15 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 6:07 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Ah right, Thanks for the info  Smile

No prob's, =), The 78 is the same but on the detailed one, it still showed the 78A/X78 were running but they were in brackets. 

Hopefully changes are put online soon, a lot of services seem to be changing on the 17th April.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Michael   15 Mar 2016, 6:56 pm
Dan or Citaro, when 9102 enters service, will you let us know what time journeys they'll be doing during the day and night?

Thanks =)

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
biglugs@yahoo.com   15 Mar 2016, 7:17 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 6:56 pm)Michael wrote Dan or Citaro, when 9102 enters service, will you let us know what time journeys they'll be doing during the day and night?

Thanks =)

Dan or 5284 will it enter service tommorow

Best bus ever
park5354   15 Mar 2016, 7:38 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 4:25 pm)Michael wrote I think 8328 should be repainted for it, they'll still have 5389/5390 as spares for the Versa routes.

I think Lambton Worm brand should be scrapped, allowing two versa to go to Riverside, and two to Deptford.  This would allow a full South Tyne versa allocation, with a corporate spare at Riverside, and two corporate Spares at Deptford.

4989-92 could then go on 34/34A.
R852 PRG   15 Mar 2016, 7:41 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 7:38 pm)park5354 wrote I think Lambton Worm brand should be scrapped, allowing two versa to go to Riverside, and two to Deptford.  This would allow a full South Tyne versa allocation, with a corporate spare at Riverside, and two corporate Spares at Deptford.

I agree, it has little relevance to the 34/34A route. I don't even think a vehicle the size of a Versa or Solar would be worth it, 4 of the MPDs would do the job, in my opinion. Some of them go around with only a few passengers on board.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Davie   15 Mar 2016, 7:41 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 7:38 pm)park5354 wrote I think Lambton Worm brand should be scrapped, allowing two versa to go to Riverside, and two to Deptford.  This would allow a full South Tyne versa allocation, with a corporate spare at Riverside, and two corporate Spares at Deptford.

I agree with you.
big mac   15 Mar 2016, 8:01 pm
I notice vosa is showing a timetable change for x21 on 17th April barely a month after the service was relaunched. I wonder what these changes are?
South Tyne Lad   15 Mar 2016, 8:29 pm

I agree, But sorry to be a pain and bring this up again, But how long do the 09 Euro 4 Versas have left in service work? In a ideal world id put them as red spares because some are appalling.
I also think Simplicity 2/2A could be a contender for New Vehicles in a few years time.
Versas don't seem to age well in my opinion.

BusLoverMum   15 Mar 2016, 8:38 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 8:29 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote I agree, But sorry to be a pain and bring this up again, But how long do the 09 Euro 4 Versas have left in service work? In a ideal world id put them as red spares because some are appalling.
I also think Simplicity 2/2A could be a contender for New Vehicles in a few years time.

Isn't it about 15 years for a single decker? Even on the Solo expected useful lifespan of 12 years, an 09 reg vehicle is still not even mid life, yet.

I do find the contrast between solos and versas quite baffling. Arriva's 08 reg solos at Belmont are externally scruffy, but really quite zippy little things and a nice ride on some of the more demanding rural routes (eg the 56). Versas seem to suffer from being a solo stretched out and spread too thin. Mechanically, are they any different from the solos, or do they have the same engine, transmission etc to pull the heavier bodywork around?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Michael   15 Mar 2016, 8:39 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 8:29 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote I agree, But sorry to be a pain and bring this up again, But how long do the 09 Euro 4 Versas have left in service work? In a ideal world id put them as red spares because some are appalling.

I think the Versa's need to be 15 years old before they need replacing... Well when GNE think they should be replaced.

The Simplicity Versa's are terrible.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
DanPicken   15 Mar 2016, 8:40 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 8:38 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Isn't it about 15 years for a single decker? Even on the Solo expected useful lifespan of 12 years, an 09 reg vehicle is still not even mid life, yet.

I do find the contrast between solos and versas quite baffling. Arriva's 08 reg solos at Belmont are externally scruffy, but really quite zippy little things and a nice ride on some of the more demanding rural routes (eg the 56). Versas seem to suffer from being a solo stretched out and spread too thin. Mechanically, are they any different from the solos, or do they have the same engine, transmission etc to pull the heavier bodywork around?

8294-8309 are 7 years old.
BusLoverMum   15 Mar 2016, 8:45 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 8:40 pm)DanPicken wrote 8294-8309 are 7 years old.

Tired maths fail (distracted by the crunching in my earhole!).

They're only half way there, then!

Still a lot of life supposed to be left in them, at any rate.
Davie   15 Mar 2016, 8:46 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 8:29 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote I agree, But sorry to be a pain and bring this up again, But how long do the 09 Euro 4 Versas have left in service work? In a ideal world id put them as red spares because some are appalling.
The Simplicity Versa's are awful!

8306 is the worst IMO, I've been on it twice, it makes an awful screeching noise, and had no power whats so ever!

I was talking to a bus driver recently and he agreed Versa's are horrid. Even the 11 reg Quaylink ones (with a couple of exceptions) are poor.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
South Tyne Lad   15 Mar 2016, 9:18 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 8:38 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Isn't it about 15 years for a single decker? Even on the Solo expected useful lifespan of 12 years, an 09 reg vehicle is still not even mid life, yet.

Yes its 15 years, But Optare products age faster than the likes of Wrights and ADL Products so id put a 12 year mark on them ( if they can make it till then! )

Versas are a worse product than the Solo, The Chassis/Suspension gets very torn and twisted, and the bodywork quality is comparable to a Wilkos toy car.

The mechanical part of Optare is quite simple but also complicated at the same time because both types have the same engine choices but here it is :

Solos : 4 Cylinder Mercedes ( Arriva have these )  or 6 Cylinder Cummins ISB ( most Scarlet Band ones )   with a Allison 5 speed or in some cases 4 speed Voith

Versas : 4 Cylinder Mercedes ( Same as in the Solo ) or a 6 Cylinder 5.9L Cummins ISB ( GNE Versas ) with the same Allison.

South Tyne Versas's have their Kickdown Disabled ( apart from 8294 ) and their engines have got to the state comparable to a Limp mode Pulsar. and have bodywork problems of a wide variety.

Euro 5 Versas are a lot better than Euro 4s but the bodywork and chassis lets it down.

I'm interested to see how the new Metrocity will be like.

Davie   15 Mar 2016, 9:40 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 9:18 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Yes its 15 years, But Optare products age faster than the likes of Wrights and ADL Products so id put a 12 year mark on them ( if they can make it till then! )

Versas are a worse product than the Solo, The Chassis/Suspension gets very torn and twisted, and the bodywork quality is comparable to a Wilkos toy car.

The mechanical part of Optare is quite simple but also complicated at the same time because both types have the same engine choices but here it is :

Solos : 4 Cylinder Mercedes ( Arriva have these )  or 6 Cylinder Cummins ISB ( most Scarlet Band ones )   with a Allison 5 speed or in some cases 4 speed Voith

Versas : 4 Cylinder Mercedes ( Same as in the Solo ) or a 6 Cylinder 5.9L Cummins ISB ( GNE Versas ) with the same Allison.

South Tyne Versas's have their Kickdown Disabled ( apart from 8294 ) and their engines have got to the state comparable to a Limp mode Pulsar. and have bodywork problems of a wide variety.

Euro 5 Versas are a lot better than Euro 4s but the bodywork and chassis lets it down.

I'm surprised the 09-reg Versa's have lasted seven years, even one or two of the Citylink examples sound a bit off.
ne14ne1   15 Mar 2016, 10:10 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 4:52 pm)Michael wrote A fleet of brand new buses will be introduced to the 1 and 1A routes in the summer. The buses will have two doors, so passengers can leave the bus through the centre exit at the same time as passengers can board through the front door. This will mean faster journeys as buses spend less time at bus stops.

The 28/29 - A new fleet of buses in a new colour scheme is being introduced to the 28 and 29 during the summer. 

More info here: http://www.buses.co.uk/page.aspx?pageid=518

Wish all operators had the same thinking.
Michael   15 Mar 2016, 10:16 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 10:10 pm)ne14ne1 wrote  Wish all operators had the same thinking.

It didn't work in the North East for the 21 when the Vykings were allocated them and it doesn't work for any where else when the Vykings are allocated.

It could work down Brighton more than here.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Andreos1   15 Mar 2016, 10:24 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 10:10 pm)ne14ne1 wrote  Wish all operators had the same thinking.

(15 Mar 2016, 10:16 pm)Michael wrote It didn't work in the North East for the 21 when the Vykings were allocated them and it doesn't work for any where else when the Vykings are allocated.

It could work down Brighton more than here.

I think the issue with the 21 was partly down to infrastructure.
There were other reasons cited like, such as the blasts of freezing cold air whenever the centre doors were opened.

I do think the legacy left after the fatal incident way back when, may have also had an affect. Directly or indirectly.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Michael   15 Mar 2016, 10:30 pm
(15 Mar 2016, 10:24 pm)Andreos1 wrote I think the issue with the 21 was partly down to infrastructure.
There were other reasons cited like, such as the blasts of freezing cold air whenever the centre doors were opened.

I do think the legacy left after the fatal incident way back when, may have also had an affect. Directly or indirectly.

Still happens now, hopefully with the summer approaching, they'll not over heat haha.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
James101   16 Mar 2016, 1:18 am
(15 Mar 2016, 9:18 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote I'm interested to see how the new Metrocity will be like.

I grabbed a ride on a metrocity a few days after it had entered service with D&G in Staffordshire. Just as a note on build quality, the rubber seal around the front door fell off mid route.
Dan   16 Mar 2016, 5:56 am
(15 Mar 2016, 6:56 pm)Michael wrote Dan or Citaro, when 9102 enters service, will you let us know what time journeys they'll be doing during the day and night?

Thanks =)

It should be allocated to a preferred running board when it enters service (still at SMR - yet to go to Deptford for familiarisation) which will allow it to finish for 19:00 every day, but there may be instances where it is allocated to another running board instead. It has to be finished for 19:00 due to not being fitted with a vandal screen - this is a trade union agreement for driver safety.

(15 Mar 2016, 8:39 pm)Michael wrote I think the Versa's need to be 15 years old before they need replacing... Well when GNE think they should be replaced.

The Simplicity Versa's are terrible.

The 829x and 83xx series examples should be withdrawn after 12 years (like the SPDs), as these are midibuses. Minibuses are also usually withdrawn after 12 years.

Full size single decks are the ones which should be withdrawn after 15 years - 51xx, 52xx, 53xx and 54xx series fleet numbers.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
DanPicken   16 Mar 2016, 6:55 am
(15 Mar 2016, 9:18 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote Yes its 15 years, But Optare products age faster than the likes of Wrights and ADL Products so id put a 12 year mark on them ( if they can make it till then! )

8294 probably hasn't has Kickdown disabled because it has a Tachograph.
(16 Mar 2016, 5:56 am)Dan wrote It should be allocated to a preferred running board when it enters service (still at SMR - yet to go to Deptford for familiarisation) which will allow it to finish for 19:00 every day, but there may be instances where it is allocated to another running board instead. It has to be finished for 19:00 due to not being fitted with a vandal screen - this is a trade union agreement for driver safety.

The 829x and 83xx series examples should be withdrawn after 12 years (like the SPDs), as these are midibuses. Minibuses are also usually withdrawn after 12 years.

Full size single decks are the ones which should be withdrawn after 15 years - 51xx, 52xx, 53xx and 54xx series fleet numbers.
That helps work out which boards 9102 will be on. At least the 88 is due newer buses in a couple of years.
DanPicken   16 Mar 2016, 7:02 am

8294 probably hasn't has Kickdown disabled because it has a Tachograph.
(16 Mar 2016, 5:56 am)Dan wrote It should be allocated to a preferred running board when it enters service (still at SMR - yet to go to Deptford for familiarisation) which will allow it to finish for 19:00 every day, but there may be instances where it is allocated to another running board instead. It has to be finished for 19:00 due to not being fitted with a vandal screen - this is a trade union agreement for driver safety.

That helps work out which boards 9102 will be on. At least the 88 is due newer buses in a couple of years.
Pages (37)    120 21 2237