You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016

RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016
(18 Sep 2016, 6:29 pm)tyresmoke wrote If they got 7 new DD's for Ashington, it's possible that they could remove the 3 Streetlites from the 35 as well as push the 4 B7TL's to Ashington to replace the 3 DAF Commanders there which are somewhat non-standard. The 3 Streetlites along with the 5 on the 23 at Durham - which have been rumoured to be being replaced previously - would provide 8 to cover the PVR of the 17/17A at Stockton depot, replacing the DAF Cadets which are due for disposal any time soon. 
Having said that I am unsure which service would provide a business case for 7 new DD's given the X18 has just received it's batch not that long ago. The only possible one would be the X21/X22 but that would obviously be a direct replacement for the 57 reg batch on there currently.
Bringing all of these thoughts together could it be there are 7 VLA's enroute to Ashington for the 35?

This would make the most sense, definitely, but then in GX03 SVC's post he mentions 'new' vehicles? 

(18 Sep 2016, 4:35 pm)Designline wrote I don't know as I dot make those decisions and I am not from the north east area I am from arriva southend I am whitbys emergency replacement

Not a bad little network down there and there's some decent ticketing options too (despite their names). Had a blast on some routes in that sort of area over the Summer, however the early finish for some routes were a pain.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(18 Sep 2016, 5:42 pm)mb134 wrote Can't tell whether or not this is sarcastic. If not, 6 or 7 for Ashington doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me, 8 or 9 meanwhile would surely mean the end of 7501-9 on the X21/22.

I guess 6 or 7 for Ashington could replace the 4 used on the X15, and the other 3 could be new for the 35 to accompany Streetlites.

I've now had someone else (more reliable than the other I got the 6/7 new buses thing from) that there's 12 new E400MMCs coming, and that 57 reg Sapphires are going to Jesmond. 

What I've been thinking is that 7501-9 is being replaced by 9 new E400MMCs, and 3 are going onto 35. 7501-9 would replace 4516-23 at Jesmond, potentially putting up competition on the Killingworth corridor with Stagecoach.

I've also been told that 4653 and 4659 are moving onto the X20, which might be the service going every 30 minutes between Ashington and Newcastle?
(19 Sep 2016, 7:21 am)GX03 SVC wrote I've now had someone else (more reliable than the other I got the 6/7 new buses thing from) that there's 12 new E400MMCs coming, and that 57 reg Sapphires are going to Jesmond. 

What I've been thinking is that 7501-9 is being replaced by 9 new E400MMCs, and 3 are going onto 35. 7501-9 would replace 4516-23 at Jesmond, potentially putting up competition on the Killingworth corridor with Stagecoach.

I've also been told that 4653 and 4659 are moving onto the X20, which might be the service going every 30 minutes between Ashington and Newcastle?

Now that makes more sense Wink

I guess the following could also happen: 3 of the 12 MMCs onto the X20 with 4653/9, with the 4 B7TLs onto the 35 with 1579-81? 

7501-9 would be more than capable of handling most Jesmond routes. 

Now, if all of the above is true, please get white displays in the Sapphire E400s.....
(19 Sep 2016, 7:21 am)GX03 SVC wrote I've now had someone else (more reliable than the other I got the 6/7 new buses thing from) that there's 12 new E400MMCs coming, and that 57 reg Sapphires are going to Jesmond. 

That then raises the question of what the X14 will use.
(19 Sep 2016, 4:45 pm)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote 09 reg e400s

And where will you get these from?.....
(19 Sep 2016, 4:44 pm)Y935 ERG wrote That then raises the question of what the X14 will use.

I'd imagine 7515-7 would be used on the X14, that covers the PVR doesn't it?
(19 Sep 2016, 9:46 am)mb134 wrote Now that makes more sense Wink

I guess the following could also happen: 3 of the 12 MMCs onto the X20 with 4653/9, with the 4 B7TLs onto the 35 with 1579-81? 

7501-9 would be more than capable of handling most Jesmond routes. 

Now, if all of the above is true, please get white displays in the Sapphire E400s.....

And that is where the problem with refurbishing them 9x has been all along. Will dilute the Sapphire brand completely. 7501-09 should've ended up at Jesmomd all along.
(19 Sep 2016, 7:40 pm)L469 YVK wrote And that is where the problem with refurbishing them 9x has been all along. Will dilute the Sapphire brand completely. 7501-09 should've ended up at Jesmomd all along.

I don't know too much about the competition between ANE and SNE that was mentioned earlier, but I think if 7501-9 were allocated to whichever routes ANE are competing with Stagecoach on, they'd do a very good job. I think they would need a touch up inside, and to be looked at mechanically first, in order to ensure a good start, which is where I think they got it wrong on the X21/22. I'm of the belief that had 7501-9 been properly examined mechanically before the Sapphire launch, we'd definitely have seen better initial reliability, and I don't think they would have anywhere near the bad reputation that they now do. 

Obviously, it's now pretty hard to go and rectify that, you can't just take them all of the road and give them a good look over now, if you intend to keep them on the X21/22, because there'd be nothing to cover for them. If, however, 9 new E400s are arriving for the X21/22, it gives Arriva the chance to properly sort them out. I imagine they would be kept as Sapphire for the transfer, so all that Jesmond would have to do is prolong the launch, keep the current stock running a month or two longer, and look at each one thoroughly. 

Until anything is confirmed, this is obviously all hypothetical, but it certainly makes a lot of sense.
If this does all come to pass, I don't think we'll be seeing 7501-9 being used to compete with Stagecoach on the 52/53/54 cycle. For one, bit hard to brand them for 3 services which don't really have much common routing. Instead, I would think we'll be seeing the 43/44/45 going Sapphire. That's if new stock arrived for the X21/X22 of course.
(19 Sep 2016, 8:21 pm)Kuyoyo wrote If this does all come to pass, I don't think we'll be seeing 7501-9 being used to compete with Stagecoach on the 52/53/54 cycle. For one, bit hard to brand them for 3 services which don't really have much common routing. Instead, I would think we'll be seeing the 43/44/45 going Sapphire. That's if new stock arrived for the X21/X22 of course.

Could Arriva not disperse of them nationally as spares for other divisions?

Also, if 12x were being ordered, could this not be a possibility for Arriva (not that I want it by the way, more of a prediction / wild guess than anything):

- X21 rerouted via Hartlands and increased to every 15 minutes becoming the core Ashington / Bedlington / Newcastle service with a PVR of 12x Enviro 400 MMCs with increased recovery and running time for reliability.

- X22 rerouted via Glebe Road and Nedderton running every 30 minutes with a PVR of 5x VDL Pulsars with 1x spare available (transferred from Darlington / Belmont).

- 5x 14 plate Enviro 400s transferred from Ashington to Darlington / Belmont to convert the 7 to fully double deck.

- 1x 14 plate remains at Ashington as spare with the other transferred to Darlington as spare. 7518 goes to Belmont as spare for 6/22/24/7.
(19 Sep 2016, 9:46 pm)L469 YVK wrote Could Arriva not disperse of them nationally as spares for other divisions?

Also, if 12x were being ordered, could this not be a possibility for Arriva (not that I want it by the way, more of a prediction / wild guess than anything):

- X21 rerouted via Hartlands and increased to every 15 minutes becoming the core Ashington / Bedlington / Newcastle service with a PVR of 12x Enviro 400 MMCs with increased recovery and running time for reliability.

- X22 rerouted via Glebe Road and Nedderton running every 30 minutes with a PVR of 5x VDL Pulsars with 1x spare available (transferred from Darlington / Belmont).

- 5x 14 plate Enviro 400s transferred from Ashington to Darlington / Belmont to convert the 7 to fully double deck.

- 1x 14 plate remains at Ashington as spare with the other transferred to Darlington as spare. 7518 goes to Belmont as spare for 6/22/24/7.

I think you're seriously underestimating the usage of the Guide Post/Choppington/Bedlington West portions of the current X21/22 routes with that suggestion. Your X22 suggestion could possibly cope, if it was either every 20 with Pulsars, or every 30 with E400s, but cutting frequency and capacity? 

I think the current route and timetable of the X21/22 is pretty good, and apart from Bank Holidays, seems to cope majority of the time.
(19 Sep 2016, 8:21 pm)Kuyoyo wrote If this does all come to pass, I don't think we'll be seeing 7501-9 being used to compete with Stagecoach on the 52/53/54 cycle. For one, bit hard to brand them for 3 services which don't really have much common routing. Instead, I would think we'll be seeing the 43/44/45 going Sapphire. That's if new stock arrived for the X21/X22 of course.

Surely the 43/44/45 would be just as hard to brand as the 52/53/54?
(19 Sep 2016, 11:06 pm)mb134 wrote Surely the 43/44/45 would be just as hard to brand as the 52/53/54?

There are more similarities between the 43/44/45 than 52/53/54. Plus the 43/44/45 already use a number of double-decks (which would be replaced) with some Pulsars receiving Sapphire treatment as well, as opposed to the 52/53/54 which currently only uses single-decks.
Can't see the morning Bishop Auckland College 5A losing the Sapphire 7 Enviro 400's anytime soon, absolutely rammed this morning heading through Newton Aycliffe. Wonder if it would be worth transferring another double decker to Darlington for this run, just a shame this board interworks with the 19 which would prevent a full-time double deck allocation unless changeovers occurred. Wonder if Darlington are not wishing to put drivers who aren't type trained on the E400's on this run as it's a Sapphire driver today.
(21 Sep 2016, 7:15 am)Jimmi wrote Can't see the morning Bishop Auckland College 5A losing the Sapphire 7 Enviro 400's anytime soon, absolutely rammed this morning heading through Newton Aycliffe. Wonder if it would be worth transferring another double decker to Darlington for this run, just a shame this board interworks with the 19 which would prevent a full-time double deck allocation unless changeovers occurred. Wonder if Darlington are not wishing to put drivers who aren't type trained on the E400's on this run as it's a Sapphire driver today.

7453-56 are ideal for the 5,5a
Best bus ever
(21 Sep 2016, 7:15 am)Jimmi wrote Can't see the morning Bishop Auckland College 5A losing the Sapphire 7 Enviro 400's anytime soon, absolutely rammed this morning heading through Newton Aycliffe. Wonder if it would be worth transferring another double decker to Darlington for this run, just a shame this board interworks with the 19 which would prevent a full-time double deck allocation unless changeovers occurred. Wonder if Darlington are not wishing to put drivers who aren't type trained on the E400's on this run as it's a Sapphire driver today.

It's usually a split shift driver that gets it, certain drivers refuse to take it because of the bridge at coronation, even though you can fit it under there perfectly
(21 Sep 2016, 10:12 am)Stuartphin1639 wrote It's usually a split shift driver that gets it, certain drivers refuse to take it because of the bridge at coronation, even though you can fit it under there perfectly
Driver this morning went under pretty slowly and left Bishop Auckland Bus Station via Newgate Street for some reason, driver the other week certainly didn't mess around like!
(21 Sep 2016, 9:46 am)biglugs@yahoo.com wrote 7453-56 are ideal for the 5,5a

They aint, the metalwork on those are so corroded that an engineer fell through the floor in one when they were delivered to Durham.

I'd expect VLAs to displace them to disposal.
(21 Sep 2016, 1:49 pm)GX03 SVC wrote They aint, the metalwork on those are so corroded that an engineer fell through the floor in one when they were delivered to Durham.

I'd expect VLAs to displace them to disposal.

57-reg Lowlanders to disposal!?
Sorry but that's the biscuit taken.....

The only Lowlanders going are 7436-44 (or what's left of them!). Next lot of deckers to be disposed of are 7466-76/8-81
(21 Sep 2016, 1:54 pm)Kuyoyo wrote 57-reg Lowlanders to disposal!?

The only Lowlanders going are 7436-44 (or what's left of them!). Next lot of deckers to be disposed of are 7466-76/8-81

They're not in great condition, tbh, and seem to conk out a lot, but yeah, they've got a few years left in them, with the aid of some fresh sticky tape and elastic bands and maybe some younger hamsters.
(21 Sep 2016, 2:01 pm)BusLoverMum wrote They're not in great condition, tbh, and seem to conk out a lot, but yeah, they've got a few years left in them, with the aid of some fresh sticky tape and elastic bands and maybe some younger hamsters.

I am not surprised that the 57 reg lowlanders are in that state as they where used on the 518/501/505 at ashington and being bashed about throught the country roads for a few years

They've corroded very badly after being on the C&C.

I think you'll find there are in a very bad state mechanically, Some of the examples have already been stated above.

To further Y935ERGs post, The Sea Air from the X18 has corroded there chassis severely, To the point that most are very rusty indeed.

If they arn't disposed of to Alphas they'll be disposed of to another division but good luck trying to find buyers for them.
My New Flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/140662069@N02/ - Posts every Weekend at the minimum Smile
Site Administrator
(21 Sep 2016, 5:08 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote I think you'll find there are in a very bad state mechanically, Some of the examples have already been stated above.

To further Y935ERGs post, The Sea Air from the X18 has corroded there chassis severely, To the point that most are very rusty indeed.

If they arn't disposed of to Alphas they'll be disposed of to another division but good luck trying to find buyers for them.

Even if they are in a very bad state mechanically; I can't see Arriva disposing of them at nine years of age, when they've still got plenty of double-decks new in 2000 and 2001 to dispose of.

On that note - with service X18 reverting to its winter timetable from Sunday, 7481 will be withdrawn from service at Ashington:
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/NEB/news/?id=2261

Meanwhile the minibus PVR will increase, so 1764 will move from the reserve fleet to Ashington's allocated fleet:
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/NEB/news/?id=2260

No mention on the latest Fleet Allocation document about what will happen to 2816, but other movements are on the links below:
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/NEB/news/?id=2262
http://northeastbuses.co.uk/NEB/news/?id=2263

The latest fleet movements over the past few weeks have been added to our news/fleet lists. Not a great deal of information has been posted on the forum recently so I can't be sure that I've covered everything - if anyone spots anything I've missed, give me a shout!
(21 Sep 2016, 5:08 pm)South Tyne Lad wrote I think you'll find there are in a very bad state mechanically, Some of the examples have already been stated above.

And I think you'll find that 7453-6 are barely 9 years old yet - so sending them for disposal now (and replacing them with second hand - and likely older - cast-off from London) will be seriously down the list of things to be done.

As Dan has posted above, there's plenty of life-expired deckers to withdrawn before 7453-6.

And as for 7481, I can see the likelihood if new deckers come to Ashington soon or more London cascades come, it will be off to join 7477 at Tiger.
Could someone please clarify this for me please, is arriva taking over Travelsure 472. because there has been a number of people saying this on facebook