You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2016

7425 in use at Redcar today - it was the 0850 to Scarborough (departed 0902) and as such is on the shorts

.jpeg image.jpeg
Site Administrator
RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - September 2016
(01 Oct 2016, 8:18 am)Kuyoyo wrote 7425 in use at Redcar today - it was the 0850 to Scarborough (departed 0902) and as such is on the shorts

Glad you told us where it was going, as the destination display certainly wasn't very clear!
Just out of curiosity,has anyone else had troubles with the 306/308 i appreciate that theres works on the coast road but in my opinion this can only be a valid excuse for so long
(01 Oct 2016, 8:24 am)Dan wrote Glad you told us where it was going, as the destination display certainly wasn't very clear!

Been like that since it entered service on Thursday Undecided
(01 Oct 2016, 8:24 am)Dan wrote Glad you told us where it was going, as the destination display certainly wasn't very clear!

Some of yours aren't any better....
(01 Oct 2016, 9:51 am)Y935 ERG wrote Some of yours aren't any better....

Clearly your time away from the forum hasn't done any favours.
Site Administrator
(01 Oct 2016, 9:51 am)Y935 ERG wrote Some of yours aren't any better....

I'm not sure what relevance this comment has, Dan Picken? It's clear that there is a fault with the destination display itself on this bus - not the programme. If the destination display has been like that since the first day it entered service, it's pretty poor. It should have been repaired prior to entering service.

Do remember that you've done well to remain on the forum this long, when you were previously indefinitely banned on another account.
(01 Oct 2016, 9:11 am)V514DFT wrote Just out of curiosity,has anyone else had troubles with the 306/308 i appreciate that theres works on the coast road but in my opinion this can only be a valid excuse for so long

I've had trouble on there every day this last week. Sadly the answer of "Roadworks and Traffic" are still very valid, I know it's not great but it's been the truth.
(28 Sep 2016, 6:34 pm)mb134 wrote I imagine, taking into account the location of the Jesmond depot, that it will sell pretty quickly. With this in mind, have Arriva found somewhere that is already built to move into, as I don't see how they can build a new depot in a couple of months.

They are a number of options, the selection depends on the sale of depot terms, if Arriva can lease it back while prefered site is built or if need to move out to a sort of purpose built place.
(01 Oct 2016, 8:43 pm)NMS26222 wrote I've had trouble on there every day this last week. Sadly the answer of "Roadworks and Traffic" are still very valid, I know it's not great but it's been the truth.

Its a nightmare to keep on time even without external factors. By far the most hated route at Blyth depot, although the X8 is catching up in the shitness stakes.
Be interesting to see how Arriva cope with breakdowns and regulating services at Haymarket.

I've seen stressed controllers go through the mire only to be pulled out knowing jesmond and it's spares,drivers and engineers is 5 minutes away

Maybe more GNE style 'sorry it's cancelled ' approach
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(01 Oct 2016, 9:57 pm)Driver9*** wrote Its a nightmare to keep on time even without external factors. By far the most hated route at Blyth depot, although the X8 is catching up in the shitness stakes.

Even without the roadworks, the 308 could do with all 10x vehicles being out with increased running and recovery time. The only problem being is that the 306 would need a PVR increase by 1x vehicle for this to happen too.

The 308 is probably the 2nd most well used / profitable service after the Angel (excl any Busways registered services) in the North East and it's easy to see why.
(01 Oct 2016, 8:18 am)Kuyoyo wrote 7425 in use at Redcar today - it was the 0850 to Scarborough (departed 0902) and as such is on the shorts

I travelled om 7426 Saturday on the short X93 from Whitby to Scarborough and 7424 was working the Whitby Park & Ride.

must say 7426 did well coming back out of Robin Hood Bay the only fault I could find like most Volvo B7TL's I have travelled on was the sharp front brakes on it 
RE: Arriva North East: Latest News & Discussion - October 2016
On another note, could a limited stop express service not work running alongside the 308 using some older vehicles if enough drivers were available? Even a 3x journey each way during the peak times (Mon - Fri) would work well.
(01 Oct 2016, 8:46 pm)NMS26222 wrote They are a number of options, the selection depends on the sale of depot terms, if Arriva can lease it back while prefered site is built or if need to move out to a sort of purpose built place.

Blue sky thinking here, would a new consolidated depot for Blyth/Jesmond somewhere around Sandy Lane work?  Obvisally the caveat is there's a fair bit of roadworks/improvements going on right now. On the positive side, they CV could easily raid Alpha recovery for some newer buses as well  Tongue
Last Friday was the worst i saw it my 306 was due at 14.51 from Battle Hill,didnt show up until 15.11,the 15.06 306 to Whitley Bay hadnt shown up by the time i got on the bus,then on the way back the 15.53 306 to Newcastle from Billy Mill turned up at 16.04 but i saw 2 306's on the otherside bunched together on Coast Road,yeah road works and rush hour traffic are a big factor,but surely it cant just be that,because the Friday before last the 14.51 306 was on time and my return bus was 1 min late which wasnt too bad giving the time of day
I sympathise with the drivers on the X7/X8/54/52

Haddricks Mill is an absolute nightmare at the moment at peak times, both in and out of the city depending on the time of day. It's almost impossible to stay on time but there's really no alternative. Killingworth Rd really needs widening but it can't happen because of housing and the Metro.
(03 Oct 2016, 8:55 pm)Ambassador wrote I sympathise with the drivers on the X7/X8/54/52

Haddricks Mill is an absolute nightmare at the moment at peak times, both in and out of the city depending on the time of day. It's almost impossible to stay on time but there's really no alternative. Killingworth Rd really needs widening but it can't happen because of housing and the Metro.

The temporary traffic lights have been removed overnight and things seem to be running a little better this morning. Hopefully it'll stay like this.
There are plans to widen Killingworth Road with a westbound bus lane as part of the Haddricks Mill rebuild currently under consultation. This will require a new metro bridge and retaining wall.
(04 Oct 2016, 6:38 am)Shrek wrote The temporary traffic lights have been removed overnight and things seem to be running a little better this morning. Hopefully it'll stay like this.

Was just as bad coming down Matthew Bank today. Imagine 54 will benefit
Arriva 7473 and 7479 have been branded for the Great North Road Route 43/44/45 Every 7 minutes.
(06 Oct 2016, 5:42 pm)Y935 ERG wrote Arriva 7473 and 7479 have been branded for the Great North Road Route 43/44/45 Every 7 minutes.

Any pics?
(06 Oct 2016, 5:42 pm)Y935 ERG wrote Arriva 7473 and 7479 have been branded for the Great North Road Route 43/44/45 Every 7 minutes.

Didn't someone say they would be the next batch to go?!
(06 Oct 2016, 7:28 pm)dannygee wrote Arriva are still advertising for the tall ships

On the buses, yes. This is not Arriva's responsibility, it's the external company who fits the adverts who removes them.
(06 Oct 2016, 5:54 pm)Cobalt271 wrote Any pics?

There's some pictures of 7467 on a couple of FB groups, on the 55....