Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5724

Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5724

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2013 | North East Buses

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - November 2013

RE: Go North East - Latest
(06 Nov 2013, 4:26 pm)Dan wrote I think everyone makes their judgements of the loadings at Park Lane, rather than on the route. The 39, as a service, is generally speaking quite successful and I'd like to say it was quite stable too.
I don't think the short 39s were introduced to combat loadings from Park Lane to Grangetown, but from Doxford Park to Park Lane. The loadings have been evened out somewhat between Doxford Park and Park Lane, but I find that the short runs to Doxford Park often leave with far fewer passengers. Why? You're messing with a service that shouldn't be messed with. The service is likely to pick up custom from Grangetown onwards as the normal 39 runs do, but not from Park Lane.

As for those peak time runs on the 60/61... How many of those passengers were POP card holders? As a daily user of the Stockton Road corridor services at that time, I'm fairly positive when I say the buses are made up of pensioners and kids more so.

I've saw all of these services on a Monday to Friday peak time in a half term. The short 39's generally leave Park Lane with very little passengers, if any! However, this seems logical. They are really there to pick up commuters from Doxford Park.

The 60/61 has always been a popular service. The normally leave full, however I must say the 60 is a more popular service than the 61. It generally always seems busier.

The 238 usually only carries passengers on the 38 section of the route. Having rode the service (a very long ride) from Houghton to Sunderland, there weren't many passengers Houghton-Seaham, however picked up at Seaham.
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(06 Nov 2013, 4:26 pm)Dan wrote I think everyone makes their judgements of the loadings at Park Lane, rather than on the route. The 39, as a service, is generally speaking quite successful and I'd like to say it was quite stable too.
I don't think the short 39s were introduced to combat loadings from Park Lane to Grangetown, but from Doxford Park to Park Lane. The loadings have been evened out somewhat between Doxford Park and Park Lane, but I find that the short runs to Doxford Park often leave with far fewer passengers. Why? You're messing with a service that shouldn't be messed with. The service is likely to pick up custom from Grangetown onwards as the normal 39 runs do, but not from Park Lane.

As for those peak time runs on the 60/61... How many of those passengers were POP card holders? As a daily user of the Stockton Road corridor services at that time, I'm fairly positive when I say the buses are made up of pensioners and kids more so.

A lot were scholars. A lot stayed on into Seaham, so must have been Key Card I imagine. However, I've never seen a 39 that packed on any part of the route, some peak time services when people will use the services to connect onto other services. But they generally aren't that busy it's got to be said.
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(06 Nov 2013, 4:43 pm)Tom wrote I've saw all of these services on a Monday to Friday peak time in a half term. The short 39's generally leave Park Lane with very little passengers, if any! However, this seems logical. They are really there to pick up commuters from Doxford Park.

The 60/61 has always been a popular service. The normally leave full, however I must say the 60 is a more popular service than the 61. It generally always seems busier.

The 238 usually only carries passengers on the 38 section of the route. Having rode the service (a very long ride) from Houghton to Sunderland, there weren't many passengers Houghton-Seaham, however picked up at Seaham.

The 60 has always been slightly busier than the 61, but both have decent loading. The 238 is one of those services where it's brought a new link which I think works well although it's not a massively popular one. It sees use for scholars between Saint Aidan's and Seaham, it provides another bus along the 38 section. And also provides essential connections around Dene House Road & Northlea. Seaham to Houghton isn't a massively popular connection but does see use with college students going to Shiney Row and there are a steady number of passengers on the section.
(06 Nov 2013, 4:50 pm)CatsFast101 wrote The 60 has always been slightly busier than the 61, but both have decent loading. The 238 is one of those services where it's brought a new link which I think works well although it's not a massively popular one. It sees use for scholars between Saint Aidan's and Seaham, it provides another bus along the 38 section. And also provides essential connections around Dene House Road & Northlea. Seaham to Houghton isn't a massively popular connection but does see use with college students going to Shiney Row and there are a steady number of passengers on the section.

Yeah, it the 238 is one of those services that provides vital links to certain areas for people without cars, or any other way of transport. There was a few people that got off at Hall Lane Estate too. It's a change to the usual 35/X35 from Houghton to Sunderland though haha!
Site Administrator
8305 is the final "Drifter" branded Versa to come out of the paint shop in its new dark green base livery prior to gaining vinyls for "Lambton Worm" on Sunday.
4937 is the latest "Fab Fifty Six" branded Solar to come out of the paint shop in a fresh coat of "Northern" red.
Dont know if its been mentioned on here but I got the X7 today 15:38 from Park lane Interchange and there was a streetlite drifter parked up in the set down area at the top, but it disappeared back to the depot when the X7 left, don't know how long it was parked up.

(06 Nov 2013, 4:50 pm)CatsFast101 wrote The 60 has always been slightly busier than the 61, but both have decent loading. The 238 is one of those services where it's brought a new link which I think works well although it's not a massively popular one. It sees use for scholars between Saint Aidan's and Seaham, it provides another bus along the 38 section. And also provides essential connections around Dene House Road & Northlea. Seaham to Houghton isn't a massively popular connection but does see use with college students going to Shiney Row and there are a steady number of passengers on the section.

The Seaham to Houghton section is a strange one.
Kuyoyo (or however you spell it) seems certain this stretch was made commercial after years of DCC funding, yet is certainly not a money maker.

I can't remember which independent had the contract prior to GNE, but since GNE got it, they have ran all sorts of services over the top of the hill and none of them have lasted very long.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(06 Nov 2013, 2:27 pm)andreos1 wrote My guess is.
The buses will arrive in a pack of 2-3 and will be late Wink

ps. Can anyone see the hand subtly holding up the surfboard in the picture?

At least you can't see the rest of the person holding the surfboard up !
(06 Nov 2013, 9:26 pm)andreos1 wrote The Seaham to Houghton section is a strange one.
Kuyoyo (or however you spell it) seems certain this stretch was made commercial after years of DCC funding, yet is certainly not a money maker.

I can't remember which independent had the contract prior to GNE, but since GNE got it, they have ran all sorts of services over the top of the hill and none of them have lasted very long.

Jayline was the operator that used to operate the 148 over the hill.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(06 Nov 2013, 10:06 pm)GMitchelhill wrote Jayline was the operator that used to operate the 148 over the hill.

148 was totally what we came to know as the 203 it's just now they axed the 203 service.
(07 Nov 2013, 6:49 am)CatsFast101 wrote 148 was totally what we came to know as the 203 it's just now they axed the 203 service.

There was also the x4.

Obviously the 148 didn't serve Dalton Park, but did it continue down to Peterlee or terminate at Seaham?
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(06 Nov 2013, 8:40 pm)cbma06 wrote Dont know if its been mentioned on here but I got the X7 today 15:38 from Park lane Interchange and there was a streetlite drifter parked up in the set down area at the top, but it disappeared back to the depot when the X7 left, don't know how long it was parked up.

Since before 12pm as I ssen at 11.30am, was there for Familiarisation for how start up the Vehicle and Set the Blinds etc.
Wonder when GNE will upload the new style "Drifter" timetable and the "Simplicity 61" timetable along with separate Route maps.

Same as the Saltwell park 53/54 timetable.

Go North East
REMINDER: The 2013 season for the "Saturday only" 128 between Durham and Beamish will come to an end after running on Saturday 9 November.

Last one this Saturday
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Rather late fleet update from GNE this week: (Iv'e made them as a list, easier to read) =)

Four more short Wright Streetlites for Saltwell Park have been delivered-
8341: NL63 XBK,
8343: NL63 XBN,
8344: NL63 XBO
8345: NL63 XBP.

Also delivered are six Optare Versas for service 58-
5377: NL63 YAA,
5378: NL63 YAD,
5379: NL63 YAE,
5380: NL63 YAF,
5385: NL63 YAO
5386: NL63 YAU.

In addition 7 Volvo B9R/Caetano have been received from Yourbus, Heanor for National Express-
7113: FJ60 EGY,
7114: FJ60 HXW,
7115: FJ60 HYB,
7116: FJ60 KVM,
7117: FJ60 KVO,
7118: FJ60 KVP
7119: FJ60 KVR.

GNE have got 4934-4937 down as Unbranded vehicles
8302-8306 still branded as Drifter.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(07 Nov 2013, 12:17 pm)Michael wrote Wonder when GNE will upload the new style "Drifter" timetable and the "Simplicity 61" timetable along with separate Route maps.

Same as the Saltwell park 53/54 timetable.

Go North East
REMINDER: The 2013 season for the "Saturday only" 128 between Durham and Beamish will come to an end after running on Saturday 9 November.

Last one this Saturday

Well GNE have been at Seaham today and by the looks of it they didn't have any new timetables. There was two girls wondering around dishing out leaflets to about 20% of people with a drifter pen maybe? You would of thought a timetable would have been produced and having them dishing them out too. But the two girls give the leaflets out weren't exactly doing a brilliant job 'promoting' one was taking a call whilst the other appeared to be texting!
(07 Nov 2013, 3:55 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Well GNE have been at Seaham today and by the looks of it they didn't have any new timetables. There was two girls wondering around dishing out leaflets to about 20% of people with a drifter pen maybe? You would of thought a timetable would have been produced and having them dishing them out too. But the two girls give the leaflets out weren't exactly doing a brilliant job 'promoting' one was taking a call whilst the other appeared to be texting!

Would of thought they would of being giving out timetables, GNE have posted on someones post that they will be near Marks and Spencers tomorrow in Sunderland between 10am and 3pm.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
legend
Unregistered
Just some updates from the daily (not so) fab fifty six:
Tuesday: The now Northern 4936 seems to be staying loyal to the 56, and I have noticed that older examples such as this have heating radiators... Makes you wonder where the heat for 5201-5210 comes from... Additionally, I think it has had more than a repaint... In comparison to the others, it is very comfy.

Wednesday: 4942 decided it wanted operate the 07:06 service instead of the 06:57, refusing to start after multiple attempts by the driver from his cab as well as from the engine... The engineer who stays at Park Lane until 07:00 didn't bother to take a look, getting in the minibus back to the depot. One of the drivers came over and started to natter. When 4936 arrived to operate the 07:06, 4942 finally started up and we were off... Running in twos all the way to, at least, Cardinal Hume School.

Thursday: 5208 impacted 'a plastic thing' which partially took the panel closest to behind the front left wheel off... It was sticking out in a position that would have endangered anybody queuing at the stop so I rang the bell and upon stopping told the driver who quickly gave up on trying to fix it when he saw how bent it was and deposited it in the left had luggage rack (photo to follow). I was unable to take a photo of the exterior as he pulled away too quickly from where I got off.
.jpg image.jpg
(07 Nov 2013, 4:43 pm)Dan wrote "South Tyne" Cadet 8247 has arrived at Saltmeadows ready for its Northern repaint.

Thought they were going WSS?
(07 Nov 2013, 4:43 pm)Dan wrote "South Tyne" Cadet 8247 has arrived at Saltmeadows ready for its Northern repaint.

Cheer's for the update, forgot about them getting a re-paint... are all of them going Northern?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
CatsFast101
Unregistered
Seems stupid having a service with a PVR of 8 going ino Northern when they are already part of a brand!
(07 Nov 2013, 4:50 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Seems stupid having a service with a PVR of 8 going ino Northern when they are already part of a brand!

Sorry Cat's, do u mean the Washington Street Shuttle or South Tyne?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(07 Nov 2013, 4:53 pm)Michael wrote Sorry Cat's, do u mean the Washington Street Shuttle or South Tyne?

Washington Street shuttle. I don't the logic in them going Northern? Really they need repainting why not put them into WSS colours?
Site Administrator
(07 Nov 2013, 4:45 pm)Tom wrote Thought they were going WSS?

No - I do believe we previously discussed that the "Washington Street Shuttle" brand would become defunct as part of the Saltwell Park upgrade, releasing the Versas to the South Tyne and in turn the Cadets to the M2/M3.

(07 Nov 2013, 4:46 pm)Michael wrote Cheer's for the update, forgot about them getting a re-paint... are all of them going Northern?

My pleasure! All are indeed going Northern.

(07 Nov 2013, 4:50 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Seems stupid having a service with a PVR of 8 going ino Northern when they are already part of a brand!

It's not the first time a brand has been made defunct, is it? I quite liked the Washington Street Shuttle brand but I do not feel the M2/M3 were appropriate for the brand. The W5/W6 were the most appropriate, and if they are going Northern (receiving MPDs 603-606), why should the M2/M3 be held within the brand?
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(07 Nov 2013, 5:04 pm)Dan wrote No - I do believe we previously discussed that the "Washington Street Shuttle" brand would become defunct as part of the Saltwell Park upgrade, releasing the Versas to the South Tyne and in turn the Cadets to the M2/M3.

My pleasure! All are indeed going Northern.

It's not the first time a brand has been made defunct, is it? I quite liked the Washington Street Shuttle brand but I do not feel the M2/M3 were appropriate for the brand. The W5/W6 were the most appropriate, and if they are going Northern (receiving MPDs 603-606), why should the M2/M3 be held within the brand?

No, but the M2/M3 could be reasonably successful services and having a high PVR usual means services getting branded. It seems a bit daft not to use the opportunity of having bigger capacity buses and a revised brand.
(07 Nov 2013, 5:11 pm)CatsFast101 wrote No, but the M2/M3 could be reasonably successful services and having a high PVR usual means services getting branded. It seems a bit daft not to use the opportunity of having bigger capacity buses and a revised brand.

It does mind, Can't think of a name for the brand though, Metrolink didn't really fit it either.

Thinking about upcoming fleet movements, this Sunday might be quite busy... their seem's to be loads of movement;

5369-5376 - All Enter Service
603-606 to Washington
8302-8306 to Chester-Le-Street
4862,4864,4865 - Withdrawn

have i missed any out??... this is for this weekend only
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(07 Nov 2013, 5:16 pm)Michael wrote Thinking about upcoming fleet movements, this Sunday might be quite busy... their seem's to be loads of movement;

5369-5376 - All Enter Service
603-606 to Washington
8302-8306 to Chester-Le-Street
4862,4864,4865 - Withdrawn

have i missed any out??... this is for this weekend only

8302-05 for Lambton Worm @ CLS.

May even see a Citylink or two withdrawn if we're lucky...!
(07 Nov 2013, 5:30 pm)Dan wrote 8302-05 for Lambton Worm @ CLS.

May even see a Citylink or two withdrawn if we're lucky...!

Sorry i missed out what it was gonna be branded as..

Hope so, i was on one of the bendies the other day... the screech when it turned was horrible, feel sorry for the people who use it daily.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.