Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2017

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2017

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - July 2017

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (14) Previous 17 8 914 Next
Adrian

15 Jul 2017, 10:35 pm #141
(15 Jul 2017, 10:25 pm)Andreos1 Maybe B&H are turning a bigger profit and have bigger loads than GNE?
In turn, they can justify new double decker vehicles.
Makes you wonder what their pricing structure is like.

Mind, this is just pure speculation like and I could be totally wrong...

B&H have approx. 35 new Streetdecks arriving. Predominantly for the 7 and 49, with some extras for the 12. The ones for the 7 and 49 will be replacing 2011/12 B9TLs, which will be up for cascade elsewhere in the fleet.

If Go Ahead as a parent company can shift a few assets from one opco to another, to replace older assets that are currently being sweated beyond their economical life (e.g. 2000/01 Presidents), then I would say that is good business sense. It is not too dissimilar from Stagecoach seem to operate?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
15 Jul 2017, 10:35 pm #141

(15 Jul 2017, 10:25 pm)Andreos1 Maybe B&H are turning a bigger profit and have bigger loads than GNE?
In turn, they can justify new double decker vehicles.
Makes you wonder what their pricing structure is like.

Mind, this is just pure speculation like and I could be totally wrong...

B&H have approx. 35 new Streetdecks arriving. Predominantly for the 7 and 49, with some extras for the 12. The ones for the 7 and 49 will be replacing 2011/12 B9TLs, which will be up for cascade elsewhere in the fleet.

If Go Ahead as a parent company can shift a few assets from one opco to another, to replace older assets that are currently being sweated beyond their economical life (e.g. 2000/01 Presidents), then I would say that is good business sense. It is not too dissimilar from Stagecoach seem to operate?

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

MrBoyt

15 Jul 2017, 10:56 pm #142
Hello all,

So, I'll be starting training with GNE at Riverside soon enough. What kind of (presumably old) vehicles will I have the pleasure of driving?
MrBoyt
15 Jul 2017, 10:56 pm #142

Hello all,

So, I'll be starting training with GNE at Riverside soon enough. What kind of (presumably old) vehicles will I have the pleasure of driving?

Andreos1

15 Jul 2017, 11:14 pm #143
(15 Jul 2017, 10:31 pm)Malarkey http://www.buscms.com/BrightonBuses2016/...ageid=1417

Very attractive fares! Must be filling them deckers of theirs and are now able to justify new ones.

(15 Jul 2017, 10:35 pm)Adrian B&H have approx. 35 new Streetdecks arriving. Predominantly for the 7 and 49, with some extras for the 12. The ones for the 7 and 49 will be replacing 2011/12 B9TLs, which will be up for cascade elsewhere in the fleet.

The question was about why the vehicles are now suited to NE ops as opposed to Brighton.
If they're good enough for the North East, then surely they're good enough for Brighton?

Whilst I get why assets are shifted about (at a cost), the regular acquiring of second hand deckers (which has gone on for years and shows no sign of abating) indicates to me that something is up with operations here in the North East and it isn't just roadwork's or the economy (as is the excuses provided to shareholders).
I appreciate passengers can't just appear with a click of a finger, but why aren't numbers growing? Why aren't we seeing 35x new Streetdecks appearing? Why do we see a constant supply of second hand vehicles? Whilst a sister company is displacing 6 year old vehicles on to secondary routes.
Edited 15 Jul 2017, 11:16 pm by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
15 Jul 2017, 11:14 pm #143

(15 Jul 2017, 10:31 pm)Malarkey http://www.buscms.com/BrightonBuses2016/...ageid=1417

Very attractive fares! Must be filling them deckers of theirs and are now able to justify new ones.

(15 Jul 2017, 10:35 pm)Adrian B&H have approx. 35 new Streetdecks arriving. Predominantly for the 7 and 49, with some extras for the 12. The ones for the 7 and 49 will be replacing 2011/12 B9TLs, which will be up for cascade elsewhere in the fleet.

The question was about why the vehicles are now suited to NE ops as opposed to Brighton.
If they're good enough for the North East, then surely they're good enough for Brighton?

Whilst I get why assets are shifted about (at a cost), the regular acquiring of second hand deckers (which has gone on for years and shows no sign of abating) indicates to me that something is up with operations here in the North East and it isn't just roadwork's or the economy (as is the excuses provided to shareholders).
I appreciate passengers can't just appear with a click of a finger, but why aren't numbers growing? Why aren't we seeing 35x new Streetdecks appearing? Why do we see a constant supply of second hand vehicles? Whilst a sister company is displacing 6 year old vehicles on to secondary routes.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

BFK

15 Jul 2017, 11:24 pm #144
(15 Jul 2017, 5:05 pm)park5354 Think a Fab56 is at saltmeadows, rubbed down in paint booth.  (it was orange and rubbed down)

Yes that's correct, 6085 is there for repaint.
BFK
15 Jul 2017, 11:24 pm #144

(15 Jul 2017, 5:05 pm)park5354 Think a Fab56 is at saltmeadows, rubbed down in paint booth.  (it was orange and rubbed down)

Yes that's correct, 6085 is there for repaint.

Michael

15 Jul 2017, 11:31 pm #145
(15 Jul 2017, 11:24 pm)BFK Yes that's correct, 6085 is there for repaint.

Hopefully they change the colour from Orange to something else...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
15 Jul 2017, 11:31 pm #145

(15 Jul 2017, 11:24 pm)BFK Yes that's correct, 6085 is there for repaint.

Hopefully they change the colour from Orange to something else...

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Jul 2017, 8:12 am #146
(15 Jul 2017, 10:56 pm)MrBoyt Hello all,

Predominantly Wright Solar bodied Scania L94s (52 plates) - though there are a small number of coaches and one or two Wright Cadet bodied DAF SB120s also being used at present.

Fleet list: http://northeastbuses.co.uk/fleet/list.p...o=Fleet+No.®=Registration&chassis=Chassis&bodywork=Bodywork&depot=driver+train&livery=Livery&year=Year&euro=Euro&operatorF=2&priorityF=all&soldF=

(15 Jul 2017, 11:14 pm)Andreos1 The question was about why the vehicles are now suited to NE ops as opposed to Brighton.

It could also coincide with the nature of what a large number of double-deck vehicles here in the North East are allocated to.

Double-deck buses in Brighton are allocated to their own commercially-operated services - most of their services, as we know, have loadings which justify double-deck vehicles. Up here, aside from the commercially-operated services, Go North East also runs a sizeable amount of double-deckers which are allocated to scholars services, special events and closed contracts (which do not have to be registered) including Private Hire.

It goes without saying that scholars services do not make enough money to justify a brand new vehicle - especially given the fact these contracts only ever tend to last one year, and there is a risk that any operator would lose a sizeable number of contracts the next year. Just look at what has happened this year: Go North East has lost a large number of services, and the likes of Stanley Travel have picked up the contracts instead. What did Stanley Travel acquire? A handful of ex-London double-decks!

When it comes to tendered work, there is a much more competitive environment up here, and that's why there is a need for low value double-decks. Clearly for Go North East, these are readily available at London and Brighton & Hove. I would imagine, in the next few years, Go North East will be seeking to replace these Scania OmniDekkas with newer vehicles.
Dan
16 Jul 2017, 8:12 am #146

Predominantly Wright Solar bodied Scania L94s (52 plates) - though there are a small number of coaches and one or two Wright Cadet bodied DAF SB120s also being used at present.

Fleet list: http://northeastbuses.co.uk/fleet/list.p...o=Fleet+No.®=Registration&chassis=Chassis&bodywork=Bodywork&depot=driver+train&livery=Livery&year=Year&euro=Euro&operatorF=2&priorityF=all&soldF=

(15 Jul 2017, 11:14 pm)Andreos1 The question was about why the vehicles are now suited to NE ops as opposed to Brighton.

It could also coincide with the nature of what a large number of double-deck vehicles here in the North East are allocated to.

Double-deck buses in Brighton are allocated to their own commercially-operated services - most of their services, as we know, have loadings which justify double-deck vehicles. Up here, aside from the commercially-operated services, Go North East also runs a sizeable amount of double-deckers which are allocated to scholars services, special events and closed contracts (which do not have to be registered) including Private Hire.

It goes without saying that scholars services do not make enough money to justify a brand new vehicle - especially given the fact these contracts only ever tend to last one year, and there is a risk that any operator would lose a sizeable number of contracts the next year. Just look at what has happened this year: Go North East has lost a large number of services, and the likes of Stanley Travel have picked up the contracts instead. What did Stanley Travel acquire? A handful of ex-London double-decks!

When it comes to tendered work, there is a much more competitive environment up here, and that's why there is a need for low value double-decks. Clearly for Go North East, these are readily available at London and Brighton & Hove. I would imagine, in the next few years, Go North East will be seeking to replace these Scania OmniDekkas with newer vehicles.

Michael

16 Jul 2017, 9:50 am #147
Have a feeling the FAB 56 B9's will come back "Black Cats" red.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
16 Jul 2017, 9:50 am #147

Have a feeling the FAB 56 B9's will come back "Black Cats" red.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Jul 2017, 10:01 am #148
(16 Jul 2017, 9:50 am)Michael Have a feeling the FAB 56 B9's will come back "Black Cats" red.

I doubt any of the other Volvo B9TLs in the batch will be going for repaint just yet - just 6085.
Dan
16 Jul 2017, 10:01 am #148

(16 Jul 2017, 9:50 am)Michael Have a feeling the FAB 56 B9's will come back "Black Cats" red.

I doubt any of the other Volvo B9TLs in the batch will be going for repaint just yet - just 6085.

Michael

16 Jul 2017, 10:07 am #149
(16 Jul 2017, 10:01 am)Dan I doubt any of the other Volvo B9TLs in the batch will be going for repaint just yet - just 6085.

What colour will it come back as?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
16 Jul 2017, 10:07 am #149

(16 Jul 2017, 10:01 am)Dan I doubt any of the other Volvo B9TLs in the batch will be going for repaint just yet - just 6085.

What colour will it come back as?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

16 Jul 2017, 2:58 pm #150

Hi MrBoyt, Firstly welcome to the forum, I know Dan has answered your question about vehicle types within the training school.

I myself would be very interested to hear how you get on in the training school and what the day by day training is like?
From applying to join GNE, what was the process like and how long did it take to be offered a position?
Which depot are you hoping to work at after training?

Best of Luck and I hope you can report back soon.
Edited 16 Jul 2017, 2:59 pm by thetravelman.
thetravelman
16 Jul 2017, 2:58 pm #150

Hi MrBoyt, Firstly welcome to the forum, I know Dan has answered your question about vehicle types within the training school.

I myself would be very interested to hear how you get on in the training school and what the day by day training is like?
From applying to join GNE, what was the process like and how long did it take to be offered a position?

Best of Luck and I hope you can report back soon.

MrBoyt

16 Jul 2017, 3:29 pm #151
(16 Jul 2017, 2:58 pm)thetravelman I myself would be very interested to hear how you get on in the training school and what the day by day training is like?

Hi there, I actually wrote an account of the recruitment process on another forum (before I found this one), which you can read here.

If you or anyone else would like to hear updates then I'm happy to post a few things here from time to time. Not started yet but might be able to provide some updates in a month or so.
MrBoyt
16 Jul 2017, 3:29 pm #151

(16 Jul 2017, 2:58 pm)thetravelman I myself would be very interested to hear how you get on in the training school and what the day by day training is like?

Hi there, I actually wrote an account of the recruitment process on another forum (before I found this one), which you can read here.

If you or anyone else would like to hear updates then I'm happy to post a few things here from time to time. Not started yet but might be able to provide some updates in a month or so.

16 Jul 2017, 3:43 pm #152
(16 Jul 2017, 3:29 pm)MrBoyt Hi there, I actually wrote an account of the recruitment process on another forum (before I found this one), which you can read here.

Thanks for that, I will certainly go and read your other post about recruitment. 

I certainly am interested to learn more about the training and becoming a Bus Driver, for my own reference for the future. So if you can post some updates here that would be much appreciated. 

Thanks again.
thetravelman
16 Jul 2017, 3:43 pm #152

(16 Jul 2017, 3:29 pm)MrBoyt Hi there, I actually wrote an account of the recruitment process on another forum (before I found this one), which you can read here.

Thanks for that, I will certainly go and read your other post about recruitment. 

I certainly am interested to learn more about the training and becoming a Bus Driver, for my own reference for the future. So if you can post some updates here that would be much appreciated. 

Thanks again.

park5354

16 Jul 2017, 4:24 pm #153
Thinking out loud :-

6 spare B9 from TTX reallocate as 6043/44/45 to Tyne Valley Ten (3941/42 to Riverside as spare)
6046/47 to Chester for Angel (3962/65 to Riverside as spare)
6048 to Washington for Red Arrow (3943 to Riverside as spare)

5300/01/02 now in vor line at Riverside
Edited 16 Jul 2017, 4:26 pm by park5354.
park5354
16 Jul 2017, 4:24 pm #153

Thinking out loud :-

6 spare B9 from TTX reallocate as 6043/44/45 to Tyne Valley Ten (3941/42 to Riverside as spare)

citaro5284

16 Jul 2017, 4:30 pm #154
(16 Jul 2017, 4:24 pm)park5354 Thinking out loud :-

6 spare B9 from TTX reallocate as    6043/44/45 to Tyne Valley Ten (3941/42 to Riverside as spare)
                                                                    6046/47 to Chester  for Angel (3962/65 to Riverside as spare)

I would leave 3943 at Washington and maybe throw one to The Main for Cobalt Clipper with them running one short.
citaro5284
16 Jul 2017, 4:30 pm #154

6 spare B9 from TTX reallocate as    6043/44/45 to Tyne Valley Ten (3941/42 to Riverside as spare)

I would leave 3943 at Washington and maybe throw one to The Main for Cobalt Clipper with them running one short.

Jimmi

16 Jul 2017, 4:38 pm #155

I'd make 6046/47/48 spares at Riverside for the TVT and TTX, would be almost same specification spares for TVT and displace all/most of the Volvo B7TL Gemini's to Chester-le-Street for use on services like 13/X25 and 14/X22 (and 21 of course ). 6084 could maybe head to Percy Main as a back up for Cobalt Clippers.
Jimmi
16 Jul 2017, 4:38 pm #155

I'd make 6046/47/48 spares at Riverside for the TVT and TTX, would be almost same specification spares for TVT and displace all/most of the Volvo B7TL Gemini's to Chester-le-Street for use on services like 13/X25 and 14/X22 (and 21 of course ). 6084 could maybe head to Percy Main as a back up for Cobalt Clippers.

Michael

16 Jul 2017, 5:15 pm #156

What kind of exhaust and cooling system modifications are they getting?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
16 Jul 2017, 5:15 pm #156

What kind of exhaust and cooling system modifications are they getting?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Dan

Site Administrator

16 Jul 2017, 5:16 pm #157
(16 Jul 2017, 5:15 pm)Michael What kind of exhaust and cooling system modifications are they getting?

AVID and Eminox - the same type of modifications all Mercedes Citaro in the fleet are receiving.
Dan
16 Jul 2017, 5:16 pm #157

(16 Jul 2017, 5:15 pm)Michael What kind of exhaust and cooling system modifications are they getting?

AVID and Eminox - the same type of modifications all Mercedes Citaro in the fleet are receiving.

S813 FVK

16 Jul 2017, 5:19 pm #158
(16 Jul 2017, 4:38 pm)Jimmi I'd make 6046/47/48 spares at Riverside for the TVT and TTX, would be almost same specification spares for TVT and displace all/most of the Volvo B7TL Gemini's to Chester-le-Street for use on services like 13/X25 and 14/X22 (and 21 of course ). 6084 could maybe head to Percy Main as a back up for Cobalt Clippers.

The 4 B7s to Chester-le-Street is not a bad idea at all. Certainly a doable thing and would allow three Omnidekkas to transfer out (to Stanley to replace 6011/13/32 if they haven't been replaced already?)
S813 FVK
16 Jul 2017, 5:19 pm #158

(16 Jul 2017, 4:38 pm)Jimmi I'd make 6046/47/48 spares at Riverside for the TVT and TTX, would be almost same specification spares for TVT and displace all/most of the Volvo B7TL Gemini's to Chester-le-Street for use on services like 13/X25 and 14/X22 (and 21 of course ). 6084 could maybe head to Percy Main as a back up for Cobalt Clippers.

The 4 B7s to Chester-le-Street is not a bad idea at all. Certainly a doable thing and would allow three Omnidekkas to transfer out (to Stanley to replace 6011/13/32 if they haven't been replaced already?)

Michael

16 Jul 2017, 5:23 pm #159
(16 Jul 2017, 5:16 pm)Dan AVID and Eminox - the same type of modifications all Mercedes Citaro in the fleet are receiving.

Ah right thanks, has many of the See It Do it Citaro's had the work done yet?

---------

Has anymore fleet changes taken place with the last Streetlite entering service? (apart from 5298, 5300/01/02 and 5304 getting temporally withdrawn)
Edited 16 Jul 2017, 5:24 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
16 Jul 2017, 5:23 pm #159

(16 Jul 2017, 5:16 pm)Dan AVID and Eminox - the same type of modifications all Mercedes Citaro in the fleet are receiving.

Ah right thanks, has many of the See It Do it Citaro's had the work done yet?

---------

Has anymore fleet changes taken place with the last Streetlite entering service? (apart from 5298, 5300/01/02 and 5304 getting temporally withdrawn)

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

peter

16 Jul 2017, 5:26 pm #160
Any idea when 5237 will be moving to Stanley - it must have been VOR for a while now? And is there still any intention of 6124 being repainted into Toon Link livery or have plans changed? Also, 6129 is still down as being Black on the fleet list though has since been branded.
peter
16 Jul 2017, 5:26 pm #160

Any idea when 5237 will be moving to Stanley - it must have been VOR for a while now? And is there still any intention of 6124 being repainted into Toon Link livery or have plans changed? Also, 6129 is still down as being Black on the fleet list though has since been branded.

Pages (14) Previous 17 8 914 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average