Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2018

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2018

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - May 2018

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average

Pages (10) Previous 16 7 810 Next
Adrian

20 May 2018, 8:51 pm #121
(20 May 2018, 8:48 pm)Michael Where's that picture, i can't find it haha

Wonder if he went further than Newcastle and Gateshead?

[Image: 2wr79Eg.png]

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
20 May 2018, 8:51 pm #121

[Image: 2wr79Eg.png]

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

Jamie M

Unregistered

20 May 2018, 8:55 pm #122
(20 May 2018, 8:44 pm)Adrian Hopefully we'll see a return of them then. An utterly bonkers decision to discontinue them in the first place.
Surprised they didn't try the print-on-bog-roll solution before just withdrawing them to be honest, just on the off chance somebody wanted to have a quick look. I guess it's one of these things that on paper is throwing money down the toilet.

Saying that, the nexus people still keep on putting/changing timetables for the 96/a around their travel point in Gateshead Interchange... so there's probably also another problem with Nexus help centre/supplier to Nexus also that needs a quick look at.

Hopefully a relaunch can properly deal with stock numbers to all people concerned, and then be displayed to the public in the correct way/issue. I cannot imagine it being sensible nor efficient in its current state.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Jamie M
20 May 2018, 8:55 pm #122

(20 May 2018, 8:44 pm)Adrian Hopefully we'll see a return of them then. An utterly bonkers decision to discontinue them in the first place.
Surprised they didn't try the print-on-bog-roll solution before just withdrawing them to be honest, just on the off chance somebody wanted to have a quick look. I guess it's one of these things that on paper is throwing money down the toilet.

Saying that, the nexus people still keep on putting/changing timetables for the 96/a around their travel point in Gateshead Interchange... so there's probably also another problem with Nexus help centre/supplier to Nexus also that needs a quick look at.

Hopefully a relaunch can properly deal with stock numbers to all people concerned, and then be displayed to the public in the correct way/issue. I cannot imagine it being sensible nor efficient in its current state.

Michael

20 May 2018, 8:56 pm #123
(20 May 2018, 8:51 pm)Adrian [Image: 2wr79Eg.png]

Thanks, ye i wonder if he'll bring them back but i never get them now because i use online.

Why is there a 38/238 timetable in Newcastle?, it goes no where near Newcastle.
Edited 20 May 2018, 9:01 pm by Michael.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
20 May 2018, 8:56 pm #123

(20 May 2018, 8:51 pm)Adrian [Image: 2wr79Eg.png]

Thanks, ye i wonder if he'll bring them back but i never get them now because i use online.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

S813 FVK

20 May 2018, 9:16 pm #124
(20 May 2018, 8:56 pm)Michael Thanks, ye i wonder if he'll bring them back but i never get them now because i use online.

Perhaps it wasn't taken at Newcastle? There is an awful lot of other leaflets relating to Sunderland there too.
Edited 20 May 2018, 9:16 pm by S813 FVK.
S813 FVK
20 May 2018, 9:16 pm #124

(20 May 2018, 8:56 pm)Michael Thanks, ye i wonder if he'll bring them back but i never get them now because i use online.

Perhaps it wasn't taken at Newcastle? There is an awful lot of other leaflets relating to Sunderland there too.

Jamie M

Unregistered

20 May 2018, 9:20 pm #125
(20 May 2018, 9:16 pm)S813 FVK Perhaps it wasn't taken at Newcastle? There is an awful lot of other leaflets relating to Sunderland there too.
There's also a set of 85/86 timetables in Gateshead. I've also picked up an 18 bishop auckland timetable. It seems to be an approach from the supplier and/or nexus that so long as there was once a bus route (past or present), it's suitable to be on public display. Not against extra info being provided, but it doesn't seem very errrr ...consistent.

Jamie M
20 May 2018, 9:20 pm #125

(20 May 2018, 9:16 pm)S813 FVK Perhaps it wasn't taken at Newcastle? There is an awful lot of other leaflets relating to Sunderland there too.
There's also a set of 85/86 timetables in Gateshead. I've also picked up an 18 bishop auckland timetable. It seems to be an approach from the supplier and/or nexus that so long as there was once a bus route (past or present), it's suitable to be on public display. Not against extra info being provided, but it doesn't seem very errrr ...consistent.

Michael

20 May 2018, 9:26 pm #126

Aye i noticed when i zoomed in on the picture ha

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
20 May 2018, 9:26 pm #126

Aye i noticed when i zoomed in on the picture ha

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

G-CPTN

20 May 2018, 10:19 pm #127
In addition to the demise of paper timetables, Northumberland County Council, who, until recently serviced the bus stop timetables, have greatly reduced the number of stops that they are servicing, with the remainder getting notices with website addresses and telephone numbers only, despite many stops being in areas where there is no phone signal - and not everyone has a smartphone.
As an example, Corbridge Parish has between 40 and 50 stops, but only 4 stops in the very centre of Corbridge village are being serviced by NCC henceforth (two for the TEN and two for the 685/X84/X85).
NCC has offered the Parish Councils PDFs of the timetables, but PCs do not have the resources to print suitable timetables for the bus stops nor the staff available to service the stop timetables.
G-CPTN
20 May 2018, 10:19 pm #127

In addition to the demise of paper timetables, Northumberland County Council, who, until recently serviced the bus stop timetables, have greatly reduced the number of stops that they are servicing, with the remainder getting notices with website addresses and telephone numbers only, despite many stops being in areas where there is no phone signal - and not everyone has a smartphone.
As an example, Corbridge Parish has between 40 and 50 stops, but only 4 stops in the very centre of Corbridge village are being serviced by NCC henceforth (two for the TEN and two for the 685/X84/X85).
NCC has offered the Parish Councils PDFs of the timetables, but PCs do not have the resources to print suitable timetables for the bus stops nor the staff available to service the stop timetables.

Jamie M

Unregistered

20 May 2018, 10:25 pm #128
(20 May 2018, 10:19 pm)G-CPTN In addition to the demise of paper timetables, Northumberland County Council, who, until recently serviced the bus stop timetables, have greatly reduced the number of stops that they are servicing, with the remainder getting notices with website addresses and telephone numbers only, despite many stops being in areas where there is no phone signal - and not everyone has a smartphone.

There's a few invisible stops around county durham now. Have to know your way around or google maps.
Jamie M
20 May 2018, 10:25 pm #128

(20 May 2018, 10:19 pm)G-CPTN In addition to the demise of paper timetables, Northumberland County Council, who, until recently serviced the bus stop timetables, have greatly reduced the number of stops that they are servicing, with the remainder getting notices with website addresses and telephone numbers only, despite many stops being in areas where there is no phone signal - and not everyone has a smartphone.

There's a few invisible stops around county durham now. Have to know your way around or google maps.

Jamie M

Unregistered

21 May 2018, 8:31 am #129
5449 broken with 90% of the red warning lights. Needs some TLC, a biscuit and a cuppa'.

Jamie M
21 May 2018, 8:31 am #129

5449 broken with 90% of the red warning lights. Needs some TLC, a biscuit and a cuppa'.

22 May 2018, 6:12 am #130

This looks like the notice is at Park Lane, with services 238, TB20 and 60.
Also the website is wrong.
Edited 22 May 2018, 6:13 am by TyneWearTeesGNE.
TyneWearTeesGNE
22 May 2018, 6:12 am #130

This looks like the notice is at Park Lane, with services 238, TB20 and 60.
Also the website is wrong.

Andreos1

22 May 2018, 8:05 am #131
Just touching on timetable subject again and the lack of paper timetables.

Got chatting to an old fella at a stop last night. His Mrs was off to the hospital for an appointment this morning. 
Attempts to get a paper timetable had failed, so he had volunteered/been volunteered to head down to the stop with a piece of paper and note down the times of the buses that could get them to the appointment in time (whether it did or not is another matter).

He couldn't understand why the operator had stopped doing them and why it became a chore just to find out what time the bus was due.

He went off with his own paper timetable before my bus arrived, quite frustrated.
I didn't ask what they were doing to get back home from the appointment...
Edited 22 May 2018, 8:07 am by Andreos1.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
22 May 2018, 8:05 am #131

Just touching on timetable subject again and the lack of paper timetables.

Got chatting to an old fella at a stop last night. His Mrs was off to the hospital for an appointment this morning. 
Attempts to get a paper timetable had failed, so he had volunteered/been volunteered to head down to the stop with a piece of paper and note down the times of the buses that could get them to the appointment in time (whether it did or not is another matter).

He couldn't understand why the operator had stopped doing them and why it became a chore just to find out what time the bus was due.

He went off with his own paper timetable before my bus arrived, quite frustrated.

GuyParkRoyal

22 May 2018, 9:27 am #132
(22 May 2018, 8:05 am)Andreos1 Just touching on timetable subject again and the lack of paper timetables.

I was invited to take part in a survey from the Go North East Passenger Panel. The survey focused on timetables and fare information covering subjects such as preference for paper or online information. They questioned how you obtain your information looking at paper, online or bus stop posters for example.

Until I reached the final part of the survey I thought that the questions were constructive with an intention of seeking genuine customer feedback.  The final questions however were based around having access to the internet, well considering it was an online survey the answer has to be yes I do have internet access.

So if they justify the withdrawal of paper timetables based on that survey by saying the majority of customers have internet or smart phone access that result will be based on flawed survey data. Surely if you want to determine the percentage of customers with internet access you don’t do it as an online survey.
Edited 22 May 2018, 9:28 am by GuyParkRoyal.
GuyParkRoyal
22 May 2018, 9:27 am #132

(22 May 2018, 8:05 am)Andreos1 Just touching on timetable subject again and the lack of paper timetables.

I was invited to take part in a survey from the Go North East Passenger Panel. The survey focused on timetables and fare information covering subjects such as preference for paper or online information. They questioned how you obtain your information looking at paper, online or bus stop posters for example.

Until I reached the final part of the survey I thought that the questions were constructive with an intention of seeking genuine customer feedback.  The final questions however were based around having access to the internet, well considering it was an online survey the answer has to be yes I do have internet access.

So if they justify the withdrawal of paper timetables based on that survey by saying the majority of customers have internet or smart phone access that result will be based on flawed survey data. Surely if you want to determine the percentage of customers with internet access you don’t do it as an online survey.

Andreos1

22 May 2018, 11:37 am #133
(22 May 2018, 9:27 am)GuyParkRoyal I was invited to take part in a survey from the Go North East Passenger Panel. The survey focused on timetables and fare information covering subjects such as preference for paper or online information. They questioned how you obtain your information looking at paper, online or bus stop posters for example.

Couldn't agree more.

I'm a big fan of passenger panels and feel both parties can get a lot out of it, if it is done correctly.
Flawed surveys sent out like that and by the looks of it, missing out a proportion of those likely to be affected, but unable to influence - are a total waste of everyones time.
Whether it be the people who design it, the people answering it, the people making the decisions or the people having to field complaints about a lack of paper timetables.

Was this a recent survey?

Andreos1
22 May 2018, 11:37 am #133

(22 May 2018, 9:27 am)GuyParkRoyal I was invited to take part in a survey from the Go North East Passenger Panel. The survey focused on timetables and fare information covering subjects such as preference for paper or online information. They questioned how you obtain your information looking at paper, online or bus stop posters for example.

Couldn't agree more.

I'm a big fan of passenger panels and feel both parties can get a lot out of it, if it is done correctly.
Flawed surveys sent out like that and by the looks of it, missing out a proportion of those likely to be affected, but unable to influence - are a total waste of everyones time.
Whether it be the people who design it, the people answering it, the people making the decisions or the people having to field complaints about a lack of paper timetables.

Jamie M

Unregistered

22 May 2018, 11:38 am #134
(22 May 2018, 11:37 am)Andreos1 Couldn't agree more.

Few weeks ago.

Jamie M
22 May 2018, 11:38 am #134

(22 May 2018, 11:37 am)Andreos1 Couldn't agree more.

Few weeks ago.

Jamie M

Unregistered

22 May 2018, 4:03 pm #135
(22 May 2018, 3:53 pm)Dan It had been VOR since the Metro Replacement service a few weeks ago, when it broke down heading back home. It has been fitted with a new gearbox as Jamie said, returning to service just last week, so good news that it's solid as ever!

OmniDekkas should be allocated to the 819, 821, 822 (829), 824, 826 and 828.
The fleet livery Volvo B9s should be allocated to the 823 (X21) and 825 (10X).

You're right in suggesting that they're allocated to the scholars which work onto the evening peak services out of Newcastle - the intention being to up the quality of these services, which are ordinarily allocated higher specification vehicles. The Volvo B9s are equipped with Wi-Fi, so that partly meets the specification of the daytime 10 and X21.

(copying over from Rare/odd workings)

Is there any news on how the two (e)leather seated B9s are comparing to the others (6155/58)? I prefer them generally now, I find the cloth holds the dirt and grub a lot stronger than the (e)leather does. Wouldn't say more comfortable (or less, for a matter of fact) but I believe they generally look smarter and a good way forward as a standard seating arrangement.
Jamie M
22 May 2018, 4:03 pm #135

(22 May 2018, 3:53 pm)Dan It had been VOR since the Metro Replacement service a few weeks ago, when it broke down heading back home. It has been fitted with a new gearbox as Jamie said, returning to service just last week, so good news that it's solid as ever!

OmniDekkas should be allocated to the 819, 821, 822 (829), 824, 826 and 828.
The fleet livery Volvo B9s should be allocated to the 823 (X21) and 825 (10X).

You're right in suggesting that they're allocated to the scholars which work onto the evening peak services out of Newcastle - the intention being to up the quality of these services, which are ordinarily allocated higher specification vehicles. The Volvo B9s are equipped with Wi-Fi, so that partly meets the specification of the daytime 10 and X21.

(copying over from Rare/odd workings)

Is there any news on how the two (e)leather seated B9s are comparing to the others (6155/58)? I prefer them generally now, I find the cloth holds the dirt and grub a lot stronger than the (e)leather does. Wouldn't say more comfortable (or less, for a matter of fact) but I believe they generally look smarter and a good way forward as a standard seating arrangement.

S813 FVK

22 May 2018, 4:09 pm #136
(22 May 2018, 4:03 pm)Jamie M (copying over from Rare/odd workings)

Just 6158 with e-leather. I personally prefer the look of the e-leather seating, but I don't have a preference in terms of which I find most comfortable. I have heard positive comments about 6158s seating from others though.
S813 FVK
22 May 2018, 4:09 pm #136

(22 May 2018, 4:03 pm)Jamie M (copying over from Rare/odd workings)

Just 6158 with e-leather. I personally prefer the look of the e-leather seating, but I don't have a preference in terms of which I find most comfortable. I have heard positive comments about 6158s seating from others though.

Jamie M

Unregistered

22 May 2018, 4:15 pm #137
(22 May 2018, 4:09 pm)S813 FVK Just 6158 with e-leather. I personally prefer the look of the e-leather seating, but I don't have a preference in terms of which I find most comfortable. I have heard positive comments about 6158s seating from others though.

Yeah, I don't think comfort matters too much between the two, but they do certainly look smarter. Especially if accent lights get added.

I've also been thinking about the awfulness of the Arriva farefinder zone map (Can't find the link, or rather don't want to) and I think this is a good opportunity for GNE to capitalise.
I think there should be an interactive route finder, where it shows all applicable fares to your journey/route, in addition to an interactive map highlighting the areas. The current GNE journey planner is pretty awful, I have to admit, often it shows a possible route from Arriva or Stagecoach, rather than being a custom-developed and fine tuned product. People still struggle with zones a fair amount (especially with people skipping between Cherry/Green/Purple due to the complications with where one zone starts and another finishes. I've been taking the bus for ages and still cannot remember where's where. Daysavers also seem to be fundamentally based on local knowledge with this in mind, and the fact that there's too many to possible list them off on the bus. So an easy-to-access interactive resource to locate possible fares/tickets for a custom-input journey on the website would be a success for GNE, and would set GNE miles forward in terms of simplicity of paying for a fare/locating fare information. The current farefinder option only includes singles/returns and therefore is very limited to a lot of passengers (in terms of what other passes can be used/where and bought etc.)
Jamie M
22 May 2018, 4:15 pm #137

(22 May 2018, 4:09 pm)S813 FVK Just 6158 with e-leather. I personally prefer the look of the e-leather seating, but I don't have a preference in terms of which I find most comfortable. I have heard positive comments about 6158s seating from others though.

Yeah, I don't think comfort matters too much between the two, but they do certainly look smarter. Especially if accent lights get added.

I've also been thinking about the awfulness of the Arriva farefinder zone map (Can't find the link, or rather don't want to) and I think this is a good opportunity for GNE to capitalise.
I think there should be an interactive route finder, where it shows all applicable fares to your journey/route, in addition to an interactive map highlighting the areas. The current GNE journey planner is pretty awful, I have to admit, often it shows a possible route from Arriva or Stagecoach, rather than being a custom-developed and fine tuned product. People still struggle with zones a fair amount (especially with people skipping between Cherry/Green/Purple due to the complications with where one zone starts and another finishes. I've been taking the bus for ages and still cannot remember where's where. Daysavers also seem to be fundamentally based on local knowledge with this in mind, and the fact that there's too many to possible list them off on the bus. So an easy-to-access interactive resource to locate possible fares/tickets for a custom-input journey on the website would be a success for GNE, and would set GNE miles forward in terms of simplicity of paying for a fare/locating fare information. The current farefinder option only includes singles/returns and therefore is very limited to a lot of passengers (in terms of what other passes can be used/where and bought etc.)

22 May 2018, 7:55 pm #138
Not seen in mentioned but I've seen on my Flickr feed a photo by Andrew Tyldsley annoucning  the arrival of Optare Solo SR number 722 (KY63VTA) which was new to Cobra Corporate Services, Isleworth.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/apt358/41383495935
Edited 22 May 2018, 7:55 pm by Rapidsnap.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
22 May 2018, 7:55 pm #138

Not seen in mentioned but I've seen on my Flickr feed a photo by Andrew Tyldsley annoucning  the arrival of Optare Solo SR number 722 (KY63VTA) which was new to Cobra Corporate Services, Isleworth.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Michael

22 May 2018, 8:54 pm #139
(22 May 2018, 7:55 pm)Rapidsnap Not seen in mentioned but I've seen on my Flickr feed a photo by Andrew Tyldsley annoucning  the arrival of Optare Solo SR number 722 (KY63VTA) which was new to Cobra Corporate Services, Isleworth.

Looks like more than 1 will be arriving due to the fleet number its been giving?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
22 May 2018, 8:54 pm #139

(22 May 2018, 7:55 pm)Rapidsnap Not seen in mentioned but I've seen on my Flickr feed a photo by Andrew Tyldsley annoucning  the arrival of Optare Solo SR number 722 (KY63VTA) which was new to Cobra Corporate Services, Isleworth.

Looks like more than 1 will be arriving due to the fleet number its been giving?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Malarkey

22 May 2018, 9:02 pm #140
(22 May 2018, 8:54 pm)Michael Looks like more than 1 will be arriving due to the fleet number its been giving?

I would gather Go North East has gained some further Nexus and DCC Contracts to be announced which require use of a minibus.
Malarkey
22 May 2018, 9:02 pm #140

(22 May 2018, 8:54 pm)Michael Looks like more than 1 will be arriving due to the fleet number its been giving?

I would gather Go North East has gained some further Nexus and DCC Contracts to be announced which require use of a minibus.

Pages (10) Previous 16 7 810 Next

• 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average