Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5739

Deprecated: preg_replace(): Passing null to parameter #3 ($subject) of type array|string is deprecated in /home/northeas/public_html/forums/inc/functions.php on line 5739

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2013 | North East Buses

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2013

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - December 2013

RE: Go North East - Latest
(16 Dec 2013, 9:34 pm)fozzovmurton wrote Some of the next stop announcements are annoying as hell at time...As one old lady once commented on the 60 'there about as useful as a fart in a force 10' which made me laugh saying 'We already know where the next stop is, we dont need some z-list wannabe celebrity DJ to tell us where The Mill Inn or Mallard'...Some elderly folk are like kids at times, some of the crap they say is hilarious

Some of the examples on the 4 are beyond silly.
As you approach the crossing in Fencehouses towards Houghton, the bus has pulled up, let a crowd of people on and off and is half way towards the next stop by the time Gary has finished telling you which stop is next!
Can't remember the exact phrase he comes out with, but it is something like: 'The next stop is Fencehouses Front Street, Lambton Lane/Gill Crescent South' (or something along those lines).
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Can I just add that Wilts & Dorset still retain the original legal lettering and that some vehicles still have Wilts & Dorset fleet names. Go South Coast is not used on any public branding just internal. Southern Vectis on the IoW still retain their branding too
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(16 Dec 2013, 9:57 pm)andreos1 wrote Some of the examples on the 4 are beyond silly.
As you approach the crossing in Fencehouses towards Houghton, the bus has pulled up, let a crowd of people on and off and is half way towards the next stop by the time Gary has finished telling you which stop is next!
Can't remember the exact phrase he comes out with, but it is something like: 'The next stop is Fencehouses Front Street, Lambton Lane/Gill Crescent South' (or something along those lines).

Some of the stops have more commonly used names too. The 60 ones are generally okay couple of minor issues. Is for some reason heading to Sunderland the bus never announces 'New Seaham Byron Terrace' despite the fact it shows on screen 'This stop is Byron Terrace' if someone alights or board there. For some reason the stop on stockton road next to bus station isnt announced at all, and if drivers change the blind too early the announcements can often get confused and start announcing the stops for the journey to Parkside which then can sometimes cause them to break when on return journey to Parkside also the 'Next Stop is Sunderland Interchange' is abruptly cut off when drivers change blinds.
The announcements may be annoying as hell to some, but to others they're a life saver. Not everyone can see where.they're approaching. As long as the volume is at an acceptable level it works.

I do however think that they could cut the waffle about ringing the bell and visiting metro radio (not Go North East...) on Facebook and Twitter.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
When you travel through Birtley (which has around 400 stops every yard) they annnouncements become somewhat tiresome.

But I'm glad its people beyond Quaylink and the Angel that now suffer

(I now speak as a snobby hybrid passenger and not a breaking down more the DAF's solar passenger)
(16 Dec 2013, 10:49 pm)CatsFast101 wrote Some of the stops have more commonly used names too. The 60 ones are generally okay couple of minor issues. Is for some reason heading to Sunderland the bus never announces 'New Seaham Byron Terrace' despite the fact it shows on screen 'This stop is Byron Terrace' if someone alights or board there. For some reason the stop on stockton road next to bus station isnt announced at all, and if drivers change the blind too early the announcements can often get confused and start announcing the stops for the journey to Parkside which then can sometimes cause them to break when on return journey to Parkside also the 'Next Stop is Sunderland Interchange' is abruptly cut off when drivers change blinds.

Surely the common names - like the ones that appear on the ticket, should be announced, not like some of the made up stuff that we hear, that partially sighted people or visitors may struggle to identify with.

I'm not sure what appears on the ticket at the stop at Fencehouses level crossing, but I will put my mortgage on the line that it isn't the mouthful that is "Fencehouses Front Street, Lambton Lane/Gill Crescent South" (cos there wouldn't be room on the ticket for starters!)
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(16 Dec 2013, 11:42 pm)aureolin wrote The announcements may be annoying as hell to some, but to others they're a life saver. Not everyone can see where.they're approaching. As long as the volume is at an acceptable level it works.

I do however think that they could cut the waffle about ringing the bell and visiting metro radio (not Go North East...) on Facebook and Twitter.

That's why I don't mind the 60 announcements by sunfm. They just say 'Next Stop is __' none of this press bell once or alight here for local shops and other bus services, know one gets on a bus and thinks oh ill think ill get off now to see the local shops! They've paid to their destination before hand.
Site Administrator
(17 Dec 2013, 8:13 am)CatsFast101 wrote That's why I don't mind the 60 announcements by sunfm. They just say 'Next Stop is __' none of this press bell once or alight here for local shops and other bus services, know one gets on a bus and thinks oh ill think ill get off now to see the local shops! They've paid to their destination before hand.

Those on all day tickets and those who are in possession of a concessionary pass don't.
More so the latter, if they are unaware that the stop is coming up for a load of nice shops, they may try it out if they're having a day out (my mum and I used to do it loads when I was a kid - sit on a bus, have a rough idea of where we planned to go, but end up getting off elsewhere because we saw somewhere we hadn't been before).

To add to the general discussion...

As annoying as they are, they're aimed at a lot of people and are indeed very useful indeed. When you can't see where you're going at night, they help. When you're a tourist, they help. When you're visually impaired, they help.

I'm glad Go North East are spending so much money on this scheme and I'm glad they are partnering up with so many radio stations to have these announcements professionally recorded.
If I recall correctly, Arriva's Sapphire service has them too. Clearly they think it's a good idea and no doubt they will roll it out across future investment too should research prove they are useful.
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(17 Dec 2013, 8:30 am)Dan wrote Those on all day tickets and those who are in possession of a concessionary pass don't.
More so the latter, if they are unaware that the stop is coming up for a load of nice shops, they may try it out if they're having a day out (my mum and I used to do it loads when I was a kid - sit on a bus, have a rough idea of where we planned to go, but end up getting off elsewhere because we saw somewhere we hadn't been before).

I seriously doubt many people, bar enthusiasts, would ever not know where they are going. You have to buy a ticket to a certain point or a correct colour day ticket, so I think people know where they're wanting to be at in most cases.

(17 Dec 2013, 8:30 am)Dan wrote To add to the general discussion...

As annoying as they are, they're aimed at a lot of people and are indeed very useful indeed. When you can't see where you're going at night, they help. When you're a tourist, they help. When you're visually impaired, they help.

I'm glad Go North East are spending so much money on this scheme and I'm glad they are partnering up with so many radio stations to have these announcements professionally recorded.
If I recall correctly, Arriva's Sapphire service has them too. Clearly they think it's a good idea and no doubt they will roll it out across future investment too should research prove they are useful.

I agree they help many people and I'm certainly in favour of them. Tbh they don't annoy me at all, apart from when/Id they're too loud (like they were on 5370 yesterday). I think it'd be nice to have these announcements on all bus services eventually.
Site Administrator
(17 Dec 2013, 9:31 am)CatsFast101 wrote I seriously doubt many people, bar enthusiasts, would ever not know where they are going. You have to buy a ticket to a certain point or a correct colour day ticket, so I think people know where they're wanting to be at in most cases.

I know plenty of old people (hence stating 'concessionary travel pass') who go out for day trips and will sit on a bus with a rough idea of where they're going to go, but end up going elsewhere if they see something.
I gave the example of my mum and I when I was younger. I haven't been a bus enthusiast all of my life, so I do have to disagree with you.
The same will (and does) apply to those buying a 3 Zone BuzzFare. Plenty of people just have 'day trips out' and end up where they end up. I know plenty of people who do it, who don't own cars.

(17 Dec 2013, 9:31 am)CatsFast101 wrote I agree they help many people and I'm certainly in favour of them. Tbh they don't annoy me at all, apart from when/Id they're too loud (like they were on 5370 yesterday). I think it'd be nice to have these announcements on all bus services eventually.

Hasn't Liam mentioned in the past that Next Stop Announcements are part of a future government scheme to make travel more accessible? As well as convenience to passengers at present, it allows Go North East to get ahead of the game and spread the cost out over time rather than all at once.
They should therefore be on all vehicles eventually, depending on when (or if) this government scheme comes into place.
Marxista Fozzski
Does it need to be for every single stop though, I understand the benefit of next stop announcements...On a service like the 60 where in parts there are stops every few hundred yards...Would it not be better to announce the main stops e.g Ryhope Green, The Mill Inn, The Mallard, Byron Place etc
GNE still have the Washington Street Shuttle brand tab on their website.

The 39 is also still in Doxford Clipper Branded timetable

Both are still on the Fleet allocation - Under the key

Annoying when u have like 1 word on the fleet allocation PDF... this could be sorted if they sorted their key out.

What will the spare Cobolt Clipper and FAB 56 B9's replace?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(17 Dec 2013, 10:23 am)Michael wrote What will the spare Cobolt Clipper and FAB 56 B9's replace?

What do you mean?
The 34 B9's for Fab 56 & Cobalt Clipper.
Allows all SPD's to be withdrawn. Thanks to the Solars from 56 going to Northern. And also thanks to the Omnicitys from Cobalt displacing Whey Aye 5-0 Solars.
It also allows to more Olympians to be withdrawn as Citaros from cobalt can mean the current X21 vehicles can replace Olympians on school runs etc.
Meanwhile some more Olympians can maybe be withdrawn at Stanley maybe thanks to the Omnicitys going to X30/X31, though the latter is just speculative.

I apologise do you mean the spare red B9's? I do believe its just like for like replacements however as they're are new Vehicle they don't need branded spares, which means they have greater flexibility in terms of allocations. The two Versas at Gateshead, did replace one SPD, if I recall correctly? Maybe some shuffling in terms of Lolynes and other deckers maybe?
Site Administrator
(17 Dec 2013, 10:48 am)CatsFast101 wrote What do you mean?
Allows all SPD's to be withdrawn. Thanks to the Solars from 56 going to Northern. And also thanks to the Omnicitys from Cobalt displacing Whey Aye 5-0 Solars.
It also allows to more Olympians to be withdrawn as Citaros from cobalt can mean the current X21 vehicles can replace Olympians on school runs etc.
Meanwhile some more Olympians can maybe be withdrawn at Stanley maybe thanks to the Omnicitys going to X30/X31, though the latter is just speculative.

As are all plans.
Don't count your chickens before they've hatched.
(17 Dec 2013, 10:48 am)CatsFast101 wrote What do you mean?

Sorry i thought i edited that out, haha

Any idea when they will enter service?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
CatsFast101
Unregistered
(17 Dec 2013, 10:49 am)Dan wrote As are all plans.
Don't count your chickens before they've hatched.

Of course. However SPD's are very likely to be gone come January (When B9's are in service)
(17 Dec 2013, 10:54 am)CatsFast101 wrote Of course. However SPD's are very likely to be gone come January (When B9's are in service)

I'm hoping they enter before Christmas (the ones which are already here) and used on Boxing day services.

I said the other day, i have a feeling the Omni's will now stop at Percy main for the 9 service instead of going to Stanley for the X30/X31

These are 5247,5248,5249,5250, 5253,5254, 5273, 5274 - Under a new brand for the 9?

The Whey aye five-0 will still get theirs of course which as we know are 5255-5260.

Would be nice to have Omni's on a Sunderland service... just saying Tongue
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Is it completed?

It's all wrong... the FAB FIFTY SIX needs to be on the bottom =( and have more destinations in the middle!
Wonder what its like on the other side?, is this at Saltmeadows?

haha the Street Shuttle on the lift in the background.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Dec 2013, 11:18 am)Liam wrote Scania 5205 (NK54 NUY) has now been painted black.

Intresting, Wonder where that's off to!

Wonder if that means 5206-5210 will go black to... gaining a new brand somewhere

hopefully this colour is for the 29 with the 39 using Versa's...

Is 5204 red?

Email back from GEN regarding the FAB 56 entry of service and changes for the 26 etc...

Dear Michael,

Thank you for your email, at this stage I can only advise you to keep an eye on our 'News' section on our website. Everything regarding the changes to service and new buses will be posted on there, all within good time.

Kind Regards,

Kurt Nessworthy

Customer Services Advisor
Go North East

Freepost NT2674
Gateshead
NE8 1BR
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
B9s
Cobalt Clipper new deckers will enter service friday 3rd Jan. The Mercs will then go to be painted (still under paint warranty) ready for transfer to Crook for X21 somtime in January. Fab 56 deckers, some may enter service tomorrow
Site Administrator
(17 Dec 2013, 12:56 pm)pdiddy wrote Cobalt Clipper new deckers will enter service friday 3rd Jan. The Mercs will then go to be painted (still under paint warranty) ready for transfer to Crook for X21 somtime in January. Fab 56 deckers, some may enter service tomorrow

Hopefully some Fab56 deckers will transfer today for that to happen? All remain at Saltmeadows up to now.

5205 is now at Deptford.

546 is in the process of being transferred to Peterlee - three of the "Venture" logos removed and one retained.
(17 Dec 2013, 1:20 pm)Dan wrote Hopefully some Fab56 deckers will transfer today for that to happen? All remain at Saltmeadows up to now.

5205 is now at Deptford.

546 is in the process of being transferred to Peterlee - three of the "Venture" logos removed and one retained.

That was quick for 5205, wonder if it will see service today, was surprised to see it in Black. I hope this means the new 29 service will be branded if they are staying at Deptford. =D

I thought some of the B9's were at Deptford now, must of miss read! =D
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(17 Dec 2013, 1:30 pm)Michael wrote That was quick for 5205, wonder if it will see service today, was surprised to see it in Black. I hope this means the new 29 service will be branded if they are staying at Deptford. =D

I thought some of the B9's were at Deptford now, must of miss read! =D

I don't think they will be for service 29 - don't think it will fall under a brand. Like I said the other day, red Solars seem suitable...

Just 6101 (silver) for driver familiarisation.
Just scrolled down my Instagram feed and found this. Looks as if someone's been hit by the 56 between Cardinal Hume School and the QE. It's just on the other side of the hill where that incident happened on Saturday night
.png SC20131217-143444.png
(17 Dec 2013, 1:40 pm)Dan wrote I don't think they will be for service 29 - don't think it will fall under a brand. Like I said the other day, red Solars seem suitable...

Just 6101 (silver) for driver familiarisation.

Fast Cat's getting a frequency increase?, not sure where the black Solar's would go.
Can't see them replacing the B10's on the Pulse or FAB 57.

Wouldn't mind seen them on the 39, under a new brand with the 29 using Versa's...

The X3/X36... they could be for them services
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Dec 2013, 2:34 pm)Adam wrote Just scrolled down my Instagram feed and found this. Looks as if someone's been hit by the 56 between Cardinal Hume School and the QE. It's just on the other side of the hill where that incident happened on Saturday night

Not again =(, hope they all right.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.