Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

Go North East: Service Suggestions v2

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (150) Previous 132 33 34150 Next
Rob44

04 Jan 2020, 12:40 pm #641
Good point Streetdeckfan but for everyone i know who loves the metro centre several hate it. And I would assume the most polluting times of day are early morning and late afternoon???? so worker in Newcastle? I cant see them going to the metro centre when they work or need connecting transport in newcastle?
Rob44
04 Jan 2020, 12:40 pm #641

Good point Streetdeckfan but for everyone i know who loves the metro centre several hate it. And I would assume the most polluting times of day are early morning and late afternoon???? so worker in Newcastle? I cant see them going to the metro centre when they work or need connecting transport in newcastle?

Michael

04 Jan 2020, 12:45 pm #642
(04 Jan 2020, 12:40 pm)Rob44 Good point Streetdeckfan but for everyone i know who loves the metro centre several hate it. And I would assume the most polluting times of day are early morning and late afternoon????  so worker in Newcastle? I cant see them going to the metro centre when they work or need connecting transport in newcastle?

The Metrocentre is a place you love or hate, same as Newcastle, personally, i like the Metrocentre, more than Newcastle.

No need for the X21 to extend to the Metrocentre, there's plenty of buses connecting Newcastle and the Metrocentre.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
04 Jan 2020, 12:45 pm #642

(04 Jan 2020, 12:40 pm)Rob44 Good point Streetdeckfan but for everyone i know who loves the metro centre several hate it. And I would assume the most polluting times of day are early morning and late afternoon????  so worker in Newcastle? I cant see them going to the metro centre when they work or need connecting transport in newcastle?

The Metrocentre is a place you love or hate, same as Newcastle, personally, i like the Metrocentre, more than Newcastle.

No need for the X21 to extend to the Metrocentre, there's plenty of buses connecting Newcastle and the Metrocentre.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

04 Jan 2020, 12:57 pm #643

I was saying it more from a regular passenger perspective rather than commuter perspective. Obviously if you work in in Newcastle it would be pointless going to Metrocentre!

(04 Jan 2020, 12:45 pm)Michael The Metrocentre is a place you love or hate, same as Newcastle, personally, i like the Metrocentre, more than Newcastle.

I wasn't implying that it should go to Metrocentre, only that if the buses terminate at Gateshead, and you have a choice between going in to Newcastle and visiting Metrocentre, I know which one I would pick.
I think without all the services at the bus station, Eldon Square footfall would greatly drop.
streetdeckfan
04 Jan 2020, 12:57 pm #643

I was saying it more from a regular passenger perspective rather than commuter perspective. Obviously if you work in in Newcastle it would be pointless going to Metrocentre!

(04 Jan 2020, 12:45 pm)Michael The Metrocentre is a place you love or hate, same as Newcastle, personally, i like the Metrocentre, more than Newcastle.

I wasn't implying that it should go to Metrocentre, only that if the buses terminate at Gateshead, and you have a choice between going in to Newcastle and visiting Metrocentre, I know which one I would pick.
I think without all the services at the bus station, Eldon Square footfall would greatly drop.

Michael

04 Jan 2020, 1:00 pm #644
(04 Jan 2020, 12:57 pm)streetdeckfan I wasn't implying that it should go to Metrocentre, only that if the buses terminate at Gateshead, and you have a choice between going in to Newcastle and visiting Metrocentre, I know which one I would pick.

Ah right sorry, i misread your post!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
04 Jan 2020, 1:00 pm #644

(04 Jan 2020, 12:57 pm)streetdeckfan I wasn't implying that it should go to Metrocentre, only that if the buses terminate at Gateshead, and you have a choice between going in to Newcastle and visiting Metrocentre, I know which one I would pick.

Ah right sorry, i misread your post!

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

BusLoverMum

04 Jan 2020, 2:15 pm #645
(03 Jan 2020, 2:27 pm)OrangeArrow49 Haymarket is dominated by Arriva, whereas Eldon Square is dominated by GNE. How would moving bus station change passenger numbers? Connections are easier if all the services are in one place, the Q3 and Cobalt &. Coast services are odd in Haymarket.

What about curtailing services at Gateshead? Some 27s could still continue to Newcastle.
Hsymsrkrt services tend to go north and east while ES services mostly ho South and west. That is the reason for the disparity.
BusLoverMum
04 Jan 2020, 2:15 pm #645

(03 Jan 2020, 2:27 pm)OrangeArrow49 Haymarket is dominated by Arriva, whereas Eldon Square is dominated by GNE. How would moving bus station change passenger numbers? Connections are easier if all the services are in one place, the Q3 and Cobalt &. Coast services are odd in Haymarket.

What about curtailing services at Gateshead? Some 27s could still continue to Newcastle.
Hsymsrkrt services tend to go north and east while ES services mostly ho South and west. That is the reason for the disparity.

LVK 404L

04 Jan 2020, 6:13 pm #646
Although I hate the thought of Newcastle bound buses being truncated at metro stations as opposed to continuing on to the City Centre as I detested this back in the day.
This could be achieved with something similar to the free metroshuttles that operate in Manchester. The 1 and 2.

Example could be free shuttle 1 Heworth, Gateshead. Eldon Square, Haymarket.

Free shuttle 2 Regent Centre, Gosforth High Street, Haymarket. Central Station, Gateshead.

This would give the Gateshead to Haymarket corridor 2 separate free shuttles. Yes buses would still be entering Newcastle City Centre but not at the current amount of vehicles.

It works in Manchester doesn't it? Could it work here?
LVK 404L
04 Jan 2020, 6:13 pm #646

Although I hate the thought of Newcastle bound buses being truncated at metro stations as opposed to continuing on to the City Centre as I detested this back in the day.
This could be achieved with something similar to the free metroshuttles that operate in Manchester. The 1 and 2.

Example could be free shuttle 1 Heworth, Gateshead. Eldon Square, Haymarket.

Free shuttle 2 Regent Centre, Gosforth High Street, Haymarket. Central Station, Gateshead.

This would give the Gateshead to Haymarket corridor 2 separate free shuttles. Yes buses would still be entering Newcastle City Centre but not at the current amount of vehicles.

It works in Manchester doesn't it? Could it work here?

Andreos1

04 Jan 2020, 6:34 pm #647
(04 Jan 2020, 6:13 pm)ifm001 Although I hate the thought of Newcastle bound buses being truncated at metro stations as opposed to continuing on to the City Centre  as I detested this back in the day.

Example could be  free shuttle 1 Heworth, Gateshead. Eldon Square, Haymarket.

Free shuttle 2 Regent Centre,  Gosforth High Street, Haymarket. Central Station, Gateshead.

It works in Manchester doesn't it?  Could it work here?

I think you have made a good point about the alternative - but as with pre-86, I don't think that it needs to be every service which is truncated at Gateshead.

I do think something needs to be done about the never ending chain of buses over the Tyne Bridge, some of which are carrying fresh air beyond the peaks.

The radical solution would be to curtail them all. 
An alternative would be to terminate some at Gateshead.
Another alternative would be to switch around the routes (of some or all?) between Gateshead and Newcastle. Coming from west Gateshead - send 'em along Centrelink and over the Tyne or Swing Bridge. Back out over Redheugh. 

Coming from South and East - send' em in over the Redheugh and back out over the Tyne Bridge or Swing Bridge.

Not only could it assist with the traffic and reliability issues, it could assist the pollution issues and could open up new journey opportunities. Ever tried getting to Central Station from south/east Gateshead or beyond, using the bus? Pita! 

The bus gate at the bottom of Dean St and at the end of the Swing Bridge and bus lane  on Hills St are wasted/underused at the moment and the powers that be bleat on endlessly about the lack of bus priority measures, potentially having to pay to enter the city and being stuck in traffic.
Yet it seems there's no radical solutions or alternatives being looked at.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
04 Jan 2020, 6:34 pm #647

(04 Jan 2020, 6:13 pm)ifm001 Although I hate the thought of Newcastle bound buses being truncated at metro stations as opposed to continuing on to the City Centre  as I detested this back in the day.

Free shuttle 2 Regent Centre,  Gosforth High Street, Haymarket. Central Station, Gateshead.

I think you have made a good point about the alternative - but as with pre-86, I don't think that it needs to be every service which is truncated at Gateshead.

I do think something needs to be done about the never ending chain of buses over the Tyne Bridge, some of which are carrying fresh air beyond the peaks.

The radical solution would be to curtail them all. 
An alternative would be to terminate some at Gateshead.
Another alternative would be to switch around the routes (of some or all?) between Gateshead and Newcastle. Coming from west Gateshead - send 'em along Centrelink and over the Tyne or Swing Bridge. Back out over Redheugh. 

Coming from South and East - send' em in over the Redheugh and back out over the Tyne Bridge or Swing Bridge.

Not only could it assist with the traffic and reliability issues, it could assist the pollution issues and could open up new journey opportunities. Ever tried getting to Central Station from south/east Gateshead or beyond, using the bus? Pita! 

The bus gate at the bottom of Dean St and at the end of the Swing Bridge and bus lane  on Hills St are wasted/underused at the moment and the powers that be bleat on endlessly about the lack of bus priority measures, potentially having to pay to enter the city and being stuck in traffic.
Yet it seems there's no radical solutions or alternatives being looked at.

BusLoverMum

04 Jan 2020, 6:35 pm #648
Keeping in mind the LEZ, if buses terminated at Gateshead, people travelling longer distances would be more likely to think, sod it, I'm taking the car, which defeats the whole object, really.
BusLoverMum
04 Jan 2020, 6:35 pm #648

Keeping in mind the LEZ, if buses terminated at Gateshead, people travelling longer distances would be more likely to think, sod it, I'm taking the car, which defeats the whole object, really.

Andreos1

04 Jan 2020, 7:45 pm #649
(04 Jan 2020, 6:35 pm)BusLoverMum Keeping in mind the LEZ, if buses terminated at Gateshead, people travelling longer distances would be more likely to think, sod it, I'm taking the car, which defeats the whole object, really.

As an example, I can get on the metro at 2300 in Newcastle, get a 4 to the Galleries and jump on the X1 which left Newcastle at 2300.

Minimal traffic to cause delays or congestion, yet despite any inconvenience caused by having to change... 
Granted I only do that when I'm pi$$Ed, nowhere near one of the two X1 bus stops in Newcastle and my mates are heading back to somewhere in Washington - but it proves it is doable.

Andreos1
04 Jan 2020, 7:45 pm #649

(04 Jan 2020, 6:35 pm)BusLoverMum Keeping in mind the LEZ, if buses terminated at Gateshead, people travelling longer distances would be more likely to think, sod it, I'm taking the car, which defeats the whole object, really.

As an example, I can get on the metro at 2300 in Newcastle, get a 4 to the Galleries and jump on the X1 which left Newcastle at 2300.

Minimal traffic to cause delays or congestion, yet despite any inconvenience caused by having to change... 
Granted I only do that when I'm pi$$Ed, nowhere near one of the two X1 bus stops in Newcastle and my mates are heading back to somewhere in Washington - but it proves it is doable.

04 Jan 2020, 9:34 pm #650

I think free shuttles would be a great idea - how does this work in Manchester? Who is going to operate/fund the free shuttles? 

I think reducing the number of vehicles into the City Centre is a good idea, and certainly achievable. Bus operators would lose revenue on services along those corridors, but it could work. Services could terminate at Gateshead, with shuttles linking Gateshead with Newcastle and the West End, like Regent Centre & Gosforth. A number of bus services would still need to exist, such as Stagecoach expresses and services passing through, such as the 12 and 39/40 to Walker/Wallsend and 62/63 to Killingworth. There would still be a number of buses in town, but far less.
OrangeArrow49
04 Jan 2020, 9:34 pm #650

I think free shuttles would be a great idea - how does this work in Manchester? Who is going to operate/fund the free shuttles? 

I think reducing the number of vehicles into the City Centre is a good idea, and certainly achievable. Bus operators would lose revenue on services along those corridors, but it could work. Services could terminate at Gateshead, with shuttles linking Gateshead with Newcastle and the West End, like Regent Centre & Gosforth. A number of bus services would still need to exist, such as Stagecoach expresses and services passing through, such as the 12 and 39/40 to Walker/Wallsend and 62/63 to Killingworth. There would still be a number of buses in town, but far less.

04 Jan 2020, 9:58 pm #651
NEW service 84: Hexham - Throckley - Chapel Park - Denton Burn - Fenham - Newcastle, following X84 route but serving additional stops in Chapel Park, operating every 20 minutes with X84/X85 also every 20 minutes. Monday-Saturday only.
OrangeArrow49
04 Jan 2020, 9:58 pm #651

NEW service 84: Hexham - Throckley - Chapel Park - Denton Burn - Fenham - Newcastle, following X84 route but serving additional stops in Chapel Park, operating every 20 minutes with X84/X85 also every 20 minutes. Monday-Saturday only.

BusLoverMum

04 Jan 2020, 10:20 pm #652
(04 Jan 2020, 7:45 pm)Andreos1 As an example, I can get on the metro at 2300 in Newcastle, get a 4 to the Galleries and jump on the X1 which left Newcastle at 2300.

It's doable, but when sober and having to make that journey 5 mornings and 5 afternoons a week, perhaps with heavy bags, perhaps not at your youngest or fittest (I used to barrel down the stairs in Gateshead Interchange but I hobble down them, these days and still can't do the down escalators there because they go too fast and do weird things to my eyes) it's blooming tedious, though.
BusLoverMum
04 Jan 2020, 10:20 pm #652

(04 Jan 2020, 7:45 pm)Andreos1 As an example, I can get on the metro at 2300 in Newcastle, get a 4 to the Galleries and jump on the X1 which left Newcastle at 2300.

It's doable, but when sober and having to make that journey 5 mornings and 5 afternoons a week, perhaps with heavy bags, perhaps not at your youngest or fittest (I used to barrel down the stairs in Gateshead Interchange but I hobble down them, these days and still can't do the down escalators there because they go too fast and do weird things to my eyes) it's blooming tedious, though.

Andreos1

04 Jan 2020, 10:38 pm #653
(04 Jan 2020, 10:20 pm)BusLoverMum It's doable, but when sober and having to make that journey 5 mornings and 5 afternoons a week, perhaps with heavy bags, perhaps not at your youngest or fittest (I used to barrel down the stairs in Gateshead Interchange but I hobble down them, these days and still can't do the down escalators there because they go too fast and do weird things to my eyes) it's blooming tedious, though.

To be honest, it was more do-able when there were direct services between home and Newcastle. 

Relying on an X1 during rush hour (with or without bags) is a gamble and can be very tedious.
Interesting you mention the bags. 
Having 2 changes or 3 isn't so much the issue when lugging about bags. 
The luggage space (or lack of), influences my decision to drive in/out over the bus.

Andreos1
04 Jan 2020, 10:38 pm #653

(04 Jan 2020, 10:20 pm)BusLoverMum It's doable, but when sober and having to make that journey 5 mornings and 5 afternoons a week, perhaps with heavy bags, perhaps not at your youngest or fittest (I used to barrel down the stairs in Gateshead Interchange but I hobble down them, these days and still can't do the down escalators there because they go too fast and do weird things to my eyes) it's blooming tedious, though.

To be honest, it was more do-able when there were direct services between home and Newcastle. 

Relying on an X1 during rush hour (with or without bags) is a gamble and can be very tedious.
Interesting you mention the bags. 
Having 2 changes or 3 isn't so much the issue when lugging about bags. 
The luggage space (or lack of), influences my decision to drive in/out over the bus.

S830OFT

04 Jan 2020, 11:01 pm #654
With the Clean Air Zone in place from 2021 here is my suggestion for services...

Services at Gateshead operating to Newcastle will only Set Down at Stand N in Gateshead Interchange, passengers from Gateshead will be able to use an affordable £1.00 shuttle service which will operate every 5 to 10 minutes via the Sage & Swing Bridge to Newcastle Market Street & Central Station offering frequent links to the Quayside. The service will return via the Redheugh Bridge, although the services will operate both clockwise & anti-clockwise.

To enforce the Set Down rule a staff member will be present to instruct potential passengers to use the Shuttle service from Stand H. Services 1/1A/1B will also offer the £1.00 deal for any passengers travelling to Newcastle only.

Exceptions will apply to Coaster services 1/1A/1B which will continue to allow passengers to travel to and beyond Newcastle.

Service Q1/Q2 will be replaced by the shuttle services, this will offer an increased amount of buses to the Quayside from Gateshead and Newcastle.

The Gateshead | Wrekenton | Heworth section will revert back to services 51/52, these services will be similar to how the 93/94 operate...

The Shuttle service will operate using Electric Euro 6 vehicles...

Currently it's not confirmed what services are not going to operate to Newcastle when the CAZ is put in place, although the shuttle service should assist with transporting passengers just wanting to cross to Newcastle from Gateshead, this should take the load off long distance services which are usually already busy before reaching Gateshead.

Additionaly, if Nexus were agree to this proposal they could use their Interchange Staff & Security Members to enforce the Set Down rule. Although this may have problems for Arriva if they are still operating the X12 to Newcastle in 2021...

S830OFT
04 Jan 2020, 11:01 pm #654

With the Clean Air Zone in place from 2021 here is my suggestion for services...

Services at Gateshead operating to Newcastle will only Set Down at Stand N in Gateshead Interchange, passengers from Gateshead will be able to use an affordable £1.00 shuttle service which will operate every 5 to 10 minutes via the Sage & Swing Bridge to Newcastle Market Street & Central Station offering frequent links to the Quayside. The service will return via the Redheugh Bridge, although the services will operate both clockwise & anti-clockwise.

To enforce the Set Down rule a staff member will be present to instruct potential passengers to use the Shuttle service from Stand H. Services 1/1A/1B will also offer the £1.00 deal for any passengers travelling to Newcastle only.

Exceptions will apply to Coaster services 1/1A/1B which will continue to allow passengers to travel to and beyond Newcastle.

Service Q1/Q2 will be replaced by the shuttle services, this will offer an increased amount of buses to the Quayside from Gateshead and Newcastle.

The Gateshead | Wrekenton | Heworth section will revert back to services 51/52, these services will be similar to how the 93/94 operate...

The Shuttle service will operate using Electric Euro 6 vehicles...

Currently it's not confirmed what services are not going to operate to Newcastle when the CAZ is put in place, although the shuttle service should assist with transporting passengers just wanting to cross to Newcastle from Gateshead, this should take the load off long distance services which are usually already busy before reaching Gateshead.

Additionaly, if Nexus were agree to this proposal they could use their Interchange Staff & Security Members to enforce the Set Down rule. Although this may have problems for Arriva if they are still operating the X12 to Newcastle in 2021...

Adrian

04 Jan 2020, 11:06 pm #655
Isn't it crazy that we're even talking about reducing services into Newcastle, because of the introduction of a clean air zone? 

We should be talking about increasing services., and asking questions why buses are being used as a scapegoat, whilst private cars are getting away without being held to account.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
04 Jan 2020, 11:06 pm #655

Isn't it crazy that we're even talking about reducing services into Newcastle, because of the introduction of a clean air zone? 

We should be talking about increasing services., and asking questions why buses are being used as a scapegoat, whilst private cars are getting away without being held to account.

04 Jan 2020, 11:21 pm #656
(04 Jan 2020, 11:06 pm)Adrian Isn't it crazy that we're even talking about reducing services into Newcastle, because of the introduction of a clean air zone? 

There are too many buses in Newcastle, clean air zone or not. Terminating in Gateshead, Gosforth, Shieldfield etc and shuttles running into Newcastle regularly, with affordable fares, or even free, would reduce the number of buses dramatically and improve traffic flow, safety, air quality etc.
Edited 04 Jan 2020, 11:28 pm by OrangeArrow49.
OrangeArrow49
04 Jan 2020, 11:21 pm #656

(04 Jan 2020, 11:06 pm)Adrian Isn't it crazy that we're even talking about reducing services into Newcastle, because of the introduction of a clean air zone? 

There are too many buses in Newcastle, clean air zone or not. Terminating in Gateshead, Gosforth, Shieldfield etc and shuttles running into Newcastle regularly, with affordable fares, or even free, would reduce the number of buses dramatically and improve traffic flow, safety, air quality etc.

Adrian

04 Jan 2020, 11:28 pm #657
(04 Jan 2020, 11:21 pm)OrangeArrow49 There are too many buses in Newcastle, clean air zone or not. Terminating in Gateshead, Gosforth, Shieldfield etc and shuttles running into Newcastle regularly, with affordable fares, or even free, would reduce the number of buses dramatically and improve traffic flow, safety, air quality etc.

What makes you think that there are too many buses in Newcastle?

The suggestion it would improve traffic flow, safety and air quality, I cannot disagree with, but why are we blaming buses for all this? The traffic flow of buses would dramatically increase if a tariff was imposed on private cars, and you'd get away with a permanent closure on Blackett Street for example, which would improve safety. 

The amount of private hire vehicles in Newcastle, particularly on a night, suggests to me that there's either not enough buses or they're not convenient enough to meet customer demands.

Adrian
04 Jan 2020, 11:28 pm #657

(04 Jan 2020, 11:21 pm)OrangeArrow49 There are too many buses in Newcastle, clean air zone or not. Terminating in Gateshead, Gosforth, Shieldfield etc and shuttles running into Newcastle regularly, with affordable fares, or even free, would reduce the number of buses dramatically and improve traffic flow, safety, air quality etc.

What makes you think that there are too many buses in Newcastle?

The suggestion it would improve traffic flow, safety and air quality, I cannot disagree with, but why are we blaming buses for all this? The traffic flow of buses would dramatically increase if a tariff was imposed on private cars, and you'd get away with a permanent closure on Blackett Street for example, which would improve safety. 

The amount of private hire vehicles in Newcastle, particularly on a night, suggests to me that there's either not enough buses or they're not convenient enough to meet customer demands.

04 Jan 2020, 11:31 pm #658
Go North East service 40 operated between Chapel House and Wallsend Metro, this could return? How long did this service last, before it was cancelled in 2005?

Did the West Road always have so many services, with Arriva, Go North East and Stagecoach all operating that way?
OrangeArrow49
04 Jan 2020, 11:31 pm #658

Go North East service 40 operated between Chapel House and Wallsend Metro, this could return? How long did this service last, before it was cancelled in 2005?

Did the West Road always have so many services, with Arriva, Go North East and Stagecoach all operating that way?

04 Jan 2020, 11:41 pm #659
(04 Jan 2020, 11:28 pm)Adrian What makes you think that there are too many buses in Newcastle?

Shuttles could link services outside the city centre, reducing the number of buses dramatically. There are too many buses passing through and terminating in Newcastle. A regular, convenient, affordable, reliable shuttle could link services terminating in Gosforth, at Gateshead Interchange, Quayside and Shieldfield. Not blaming the buses, just we can reduce the number of buses, and we can't reduce the number of cars because unfortunately cars are more convenient than buses.
OrangeArrow49
04 Jan 2020, 11:41 pm #659

(04 Jan 2020, 11:28 pm)Adrian What makes you think that there are too many buses in Newcastle?

Shuttles could link services outside the city centre, reducing the number of buses dramatically. There are too many buses passing through and terminating in Newcastle. A regular, convenient, affordable, reliable shuttle could link services terminating in Gosforth, at Gateshead Interchange, Quayside and Shieldfield. Not blaming the buses, just we can reduce the number of buses, and we can't reduce the number of cars because unfortunately cars are more convenient than buses.

S830OFT

04 Jan 2020, 11:48 pm #660
My suggestion wasn't to reduce the amount of buses, but to have dedicated Gateshead to Newcastle rather than passengers opting to use say the X10 from Gateshead to Newcastle, which is already busy as it stands...

S830OFT
04 Jan 2020, 11:48 pm #660

My suggestion wasn't to reduce the amount of buses, but to have dedicated Gateshead to Newcastle rather than passengers opting to use say the X10 from Gateshead to Newcastle, which is already busy as it stands...

Pages (150) Previous 132 33 34150 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average