You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Service Changes - January 2020

Service Changes - January 2020

RE: Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2
Dont believe i said Hadrian Park didnt deserve a service to Newcastle, but like i said before, the 311 is doing the same route as the 310, so my point is, the 57 is being shortened to terminate at Newcastle yes?, and the 310 had already replaced it on an evening anyway, so why not just have the 310 do the route all the time, like what the 300 and 305 used to do, why the need for a new service
Kind Regards
Tez
(01 Jan 2020, 6:42 pm)V514DFT wrote Dont believe i said Hadrian Park didnt deserve a service to Newcastle, but like i said before, the 311 is doing the same route as the 310, so my point is, the 57 is being shortened to terminate at Newcastle yes?,  and the 310 had already replaced it on an evening anyway, so why not just have the 310 do the route all the time, like what the 300 and 305 used to do, why the need for a new service
Whilst having the 310 serve Hadrian Park during the evenings makes sense (like it does now but not after the 26th January), the journey times for passengers around West Chirton and Norham Road North who use the service would increase and subsequently, those passengers would then either walk to Billy Mill Lane shops for the 308 or just walk to Billy Mill / Formica for the 306 & 308. Although an extra 5-6 minutes is not significant during the evenings, adding this to a normal daily commute taking into account a typical 5-10 minute delay (which happens from time to time) would be off putting.

Reducing the 310 to every 20 minutes will better match capacity to demand between Middle Engine Lane and North Shields. Furthermore, with the addition of service 311, passengers in High Farm will have a better service with 6x buses per hour (on a 13/7) split during the day and 4x buses per hour (on a 10/20) split during Sunday daytime not forgetting 2x buses per hour (on a 20/40 split) during the evenings.
(29 Dec 2019, 9:16 pm)streetdeckfan wrote There's always an abandoned Arriva bus! 

The explorer ticket is ridiculously overpriced unless you use it as a one off. As someone who travels between between Bishop Auckland and Gateshead pretty much daily, it would probably cost me over £200 a month in tickets. If they did a weekly or a monthly ticket I might be interested, but as it is, it's cheaper to buy a GNE all zone and Arriva Durham District ticket separately.

The Explorer ticket was never intended to be a commuter ticket, but it was also introduced at a time where monopolies didn't exist as they do now. Something like Smartzone would be ideal for County Durham, as long as it included access into Newcastle. Similar to how the Durham District does with the X12, and the Durham County does for journeys starting or ending inside County Durham.

Moderation: Durham bus station posts moved here
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(03 Jan 2020, 8:18 am)streetdeckfan wrote "Following customer requests X21 will now serve all stops including those in Framwellgate Moor."

*Cries in express*

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
Technically, the X21 is an express as it misses out Birtley thus saving either 15 mins to Newcastle (31mins vs 46 mins) or 11 mins to CLS (31 mins vs 42 mins).

If anything, the same argument could be applied to the Arriva X10 / X11 services that they're not an express due to them serving every stop between Blyth and Southfield Green yet, the X10 / X11 is about 10 minutes quicker than the 43 between Cramlington and Newcastle.
I can't really comment on how good the changes are as a passenger because i don't use any of those services on a daily bases.

GNE have to change services, when necessary to keep them running.

Hopefully the proper style timetables will be uploaded soon, i hate the basic versions so much haha
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(03 Jan 2020, 10:03 am)L469 YVK wrote Technically, the X21 is an express as it misses out Birtley thus saving either 15 mins to Newcastle (31mins vs 46 mins) or 11 mins to CLS (31 mins vs 42 mins).

If anything, the same argument could be applied to the Arriva X10 / X11 services that they're not an express due to them serving every stop between Blyth and Southfield Green yet, the X10 / X11 is about 10 minutes quicker than the 43 between Cramlington and Newcastle.
I mean, it's more the fact that it seems to be getting less express every time the timetable changes.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the next change it serves all stops along Durham Road

(03 Jan 2020, 10:13 am)streetdeckfan wrote I mean, it's more the fact that it seems to be getting less express every time the timetable changes.

I wouldn't be surprised if in the next change it serves all stops along Durham Road

There's all of 2 extra stops in fram and they tend not to be busy.
(03 Jan 2020, 1:07 pm)BusLoverMum wrote There's all of 2 extra stops in fram and they tend not to be busy.

It's the principle!
I wonder if changing some of the 21 services to X21 will make any difference to the number of passengers on the Bishop bound services.
As I've said in the past, during peak times, I tend to go to Durham via Stanley as it's nearly impossible to get a seat on the X21, and by the time it gets to Durham it's usually pretty empty
Site Administrator
Go North East: Upcoming Service Changes v2
(03 Jan 2020, 1:07 pm)BusLoverMum wrote There's all of 2 extra stops in fram and they tend not to be busy.

Hear hear!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(03 Jan 2020, 6:16 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I feel like I'm getting ganged up against!

You are arguing against two additional stops being served out of principle. Principle of two additional stops making it less of an express? I'm sorry, but if you're going to make arguments like that, then expect people to challenge your thoughts and views.

It remains an express version of the 21, and it is only timetabled for 3 minutes longer between Durham and Newcastle, from when it was first introduced.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(03 Jan 2020, 6:16 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I feel like I'm getting ganged up against!
Nope, just that there's almost a kilometre between stops, otherwise and without the X21 serving them, people who live closer to them will lose half their buses onto Newcastle if they're not prepared or able to walk further.
(03 Jan 2020, 10:13 am)streetdeckfan wrote I mean, it's more the fact that it seems to be getting less express every time the timetable changes.

What changes have been made to the x21 since it was first introduced to make it less "expressy" apart from adding the cannon as a stop? I thought it has always served every stop between Durham and Bishop Auckland?
(04 Jan 2020, 10:40 am)big mac wrote What changes have been made to the x21 since it was first introduced to make it less "expressy" apart from adding the cannon as a stop? I thought it has always served every stop between Durham and Bishop Auckland?
Think that's literally all that's changed since it's introduction I think and the odd extra few minutes into the running time.

Think there's about 6-7 stops added onto the X21 between Durham and Chester in this recast but it's not likely to add much extra into the journey time especially as it will usually go straight past half of those stops.
(04 Jan 2020, 10:40 am)big mac wrote What changes have been made to the x21 since it was first introduced to make it less "expressy" apart from adding the cannon as a stop? I thought it has always served every stop between Durham and Bishop Auckland?

My comments were aimed at the route getting longer (ie. the extension to Tindale, and then to West), rather than adding more stops in between.

I'm well aware that it's probably not going to make much difference in the time to Bishop, it was more a joke than anything. Plus, with the new timetable my journey is actually going to be faster as it misses out Woodhouse
The omission of the 49A from Hanover is like the hokey cokey.  It's in, then it's out.  It's in, then it's out.  Predictably, the locals are already grumbling about it on the local facebook page.  Residents complain when they route it through there, and then a different set complain when they take it out.

Did I understand it right that the 57 will now go passed the Civic Centre, rather than messing on with Jackson Street?  A welcome move if so, imo, although it's a shame to see the cross city link disappear.
PB0003954/1147 Registered (Short notice)
GO NORTH EAST LIMITED
Route: South Hylton Metro to Heworth Metro
Service number: 901 ()
Service type: Limited Stop
Effective date: 16 Feb 2020

Anyone know the change to the 8?

It was down as changing on the 26th but nothing is on the GNE site about it?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(10 Jan 2020, 4:06 pm)Michael wrote PB0003954/1147 Registered (Short notice)
GO NORTH EAST LIMITED
Route: South Hylton Metro to Heworth Metro
Service number: 901 ()
Service type: Limited Stop
Effective date: 16 Feb 2020

Anyone know the change to the 8?

It was down as changing on the 26th but nothing is on the GNE site about it?
Perhaps it's just a correction to the registration, no actual change on the ground
(10 Jan 2020, 5:46 pm)busmanT wrote Perhaps it's just a correction to the registration, no actual change on the ground

Ahh maybe, as there was nothing for the 78/78A, normally if the 8 changes, the 78 does, and vice versa.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(11 Jan 2020, 11:32 am)ASX_Terranova wrote I Suspect Solos of Some Sort, Are There Any Spare in the Fleet?

Not even sure there's any spares tbh, Versa's might be overkill tbh
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(12 Jan 2020, 12:28 am)S830OFT wrote 5277/5280/5281 will be freed up from the 26th...

They're going to be used on the 6/12/12a
(11 Jan 2020, 11:32 am)ASX_Terranova wrote I Suspect Solos of Some Sort, Are There Any Spare in the Fleet?
Riverside have 636-639, 697 & 722 which aren't required for anything apart from 689 on a Saturday- which only requires one bus.
Site Administrator
(13 Jan 2020, 9:11 pm)michaelb wrote Riverside have 636-639, 697 & 722 which aren't required for anything apart from 689 on a Saturday- which only requires one bus.

The 689 is allocated a Mercedes Sprinter on Saturdays (or should be - one hasn't been allocated thus far!)