You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014

Go North East: Latest News & Discussion - January 2014

RE: Go North East - Latest
(01 Jan 2014, 7:19 pm)pdiddy wrote None of the Cobalt Mercs have been painted yet have they! Nor have any of the new silver B9s been branded???

What if the Mercs stayed on the clipper and 7 of the new B9s get transfered to the pronto

are you for real??? The B9's have been bought specifically for cobalt clipper, so there is no chance that they would all of a sudden be branded for pronto, obviously at this time there are routes which are more of a priority to upgrade, with the x21 not being a 'big' route its unlikely they will receive brand new buses just yet
The B9's wont move now, they are for the Cobalt Clipper.

The X21 might get new buses in the future but not right now.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(01 Jan 2014, 7:27 pm)Rob wrote Yes, the Pronto. Reducing the capacity of each vehicle by 24 passengers, is likely to result in passengers being missed.

How often is there more than 40 people on the bus at any one time... id say only on am and pm peak with college people. Theres a dupe for that purpose. So in the main the Mercs would be sufficient
(01 Jan 2014, 7:44 pm)pdiddy wrote How often is there more than 40 people on the bus at any one time... id say only on am and pm peak with college people. Theres a dupe for that purpose. So in the main the Mercs would be sufficient

if 4 are off to the X7
Rob said earlier from Febaury the Blaydon racers will require 1 more bus - which is likely to be a citaro.

2 are still spare - maybe used on Laser to get rid of 2 of the scania on their.

Don't know
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(01 Jan 2014, 7:24 pm)tyresmoke wrote Or the 4 red B9's and 3 Citaro's (why does X7 justify 4 branded buses yet every other brand gets its PVR branded only?)

This is not always the case. Often the way cascades work, you're very limited - you can't always have like for like replacements on services. Where possible, a spare bus will be allocated. A lot of services do have spare vehicles, whether they are branded or not.
A great deal of time, thought and effort goes into the future fleet position in preparation for new vehicles entering service, and deciding the best option whilst considering cost and suitability is - no doubt - quite difficult, and involves several parties of whom may all have different ideas.

In regards to the X7 specifically: Although we have no guarantee that four vehicles will be allocated to "Wear Tees Xpress" service X7 (we're going off suggestions that the X7 is in-line to receive an upgrade at the same time as Citaros becoming available), it seems appropriate to perform the usual "like for like replacement" regime, as it is possible to do so.
I have noticed that vehicles are often taken out of service after their first run on "Wear Tees Xpress" service X7, and they go out in service again the hour after. I have assumed this is linked to more economical refuelling arrangements at Deptford depot, though I am not positive.
I guess Cadets will be the only spare vehicles after the upcoming fleet position changes, and downgrading from a higher class Citaro to a lower class Cadet is not ideal at all. If the Citaros are to remain on the service for a long time, why not give it a spare to guarantee that the service will run as smoothly as possible while maintaining all high standards set?

One possibility, in addition to one Citaro heading to Riverside to be branded "Blaydon Racers", was that one of the '06-reg Citaros could be repainted red to act as a spare for both the "Blaydon Racers" network and the "Crusader" 27 service. Both services justify a spare vehicle (having PVRs over 8), and it would mean that their allocation could remain more consistent, with less chances of older "Northern" branded vehicles appearing. If this was the case, surely the "Diamond" could be in line to receive a similar red liveried vehicle to act as a spare.
If the "Lime" does get Citaros next year, Stanley depot and Chester-le-Street depot should each have one 'red spare' vehicle.
The idea behind depot standardisation of vehicles is great. If Stanley depot was to become "Citaro-standardised", they'd have a lot of flexibility in regards to the allocations if there were to be multiple red spares.

As we've already discussed, future orders should receive one 'red spare' per eight vehicles to allow the vehicles to be used on other services when they're not required on the branded service it was purchased for. This allows for the greatest flexibility when it comes to allocations, and the eldest members of the current 'red spare' fleet can be phased out gradually.

The "Cobalt Clipper" and "Fab Fifty Six" both have a PVR of 15 but have proven to be fairly challenging services with vehicles being out from very early in the day to very late in the day. In addition to this, both services are "high performers" and could quite easily justify the cost of two spare vehicles. You'd be daft to give up those spare vehicles to the "Pronto", when it's entirely plausible new vehicles could be purchased next year if plans were to change in regards to the current 2014 order prepositions we've discussed elsewhere on the forum. Who is to say that Go North East will even stick to 80 buses? Eight extra vehicles purchased in 2014 and taken away from the 2015 order isn't too bad, after all...
The Blaydon racers will recive one because of their addional bus needed, it will be a citaro, can't see it being a cadet etc.

As for the other 2 - I would say the 27 and 43/44 for 1 extra each.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
As I've said before, I imagine there has been a great deal of discussion in regards to the vehicle cascade decision of the former "Cobalt Clipper" branded vehicles...
Do you issue services with spare vehicles (as in the suggestion to give "Crusader"/"Blaydon Racers" and "Diamond" a red spare)? Or do you aim to remove the eldest members of your fleet (as in the suggestion of two of the Citaro vehicles displacing Solars to allow Olympian withdrawal)?
(01 Jan 2014, 8:09 pm)Dan wrote As I've said before, I imagine there has been a great deal of discussion in regards to the vehicle cascade decision of the former "Cobalt Clipper" branded vehicles...
Do you issue services with spare vehicles (as in the suggestion to give "Crusader"/"Blaydon Racers" and "Diamond" a red spare)? Or do you aim to remove the eldest members of your fleet (as in the suggestion of two of the Citaro vehicles displacing Solars to allow Olympian withdrawal)?

Yeah, the ''Blaydon Racers'' could do with a branded spare to be honest, rather than a red spare. Most of the time I see it it's a renown.
Does anyone know whats happening with the 9?

Will it get the remaining Cobalt Clipper Omni's because of it's increase in frequency?

Will it be split between Percy main and Deptford or just all at Percy main?

Short runs: Sunderland Jarrow - every 15 mins
Long runs continue from Jarrow to North shields - every 30 mins

I'm going by the passenger consultation...
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(01 Jan 2014, 8:09 pm)Dan wrote As I've said before, I imagine there has been a great deal of discussion in regards to the vehicle cascade decision of the former "Cobalt Clipper" branded vehicles...

Most of the Olympian's will be replaced by double deck vehicles getting pushed down the food chain for capacity reasons... Solar's wouldn't be much good on 70+ seat school contracts?!

Forum Moderator   | Let us know if you have any issues

Service Manager, Coatham Connect

Site Administrator
(01 Jan 2014, 8:24 pm)tyresmoke wrote Most of the Olympian's will be replaced by double deck vehicles getting pushed down the food chain for capacity reasons... Solar's wouldn't be much good on 70+ seat school contracts?!

Are all Olympians required on contracts? Or do they just enable depots to have the correct spare allocation percentage?
If OmniCity vehicles (or other single deckers) can allow for Olympian withdrawal, why can't Solars?
Don't forget, whatever happens now, will continue to have an impact over the next few years.

It hasn't been mentioned in this discussion, but the ex London Presidents are coming up to 15 years old and won't be around too much longer.

So although they may be being pushed onto secondary duties (as well as sticking about on the x21), they shouldn't be on secondary duties for too long before they are shipped off elsewhere.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(01 Jan 2014, 10:25 pm)Acky81 wrote If we are getting a new 29 service what's happens to Gatesheads 29 bit silly having two 29 routes

Saltmeadows 29 has nothing to do with GNE though. GNE just operate it on behalf of Nexus as the contract provider. Exactly the same as Arriva have a X10 and GNE do.
Sure it was mentioned that the ex cobalt clipper omnis were heading to stanley for X30/31. Would this then allow for the 51plate tridents to go to crook for the pronto?. It would then allow 5 of the "worst" B7s to displace a similar number of W reg tridents from the fleet.

The ex whey aye 50 solars are getting painted in generic fleet livery, will they remain at chester to displace the trident/B10s off the X25?
Site Administrator
(02 Jan 2014, 7:49 am)nk55 wrote Sure it was mentioned that the ex cobalt clipper omnis were heading to stanley for X30/31. Would this then allow for the 51plate tridents to go to crook for the pronto?. It would then allow 5 of the "worst" B7s to displace a similar number of W reg tridents from the fleet.

The ex whey aye 50 solars are getting painted in generic fleet livery, will they remain at chester to displace the trident/B10s off the X25?

Re B7s - I read on Facebook a good few months back that Renowns from Stanley were destined to replace SPDs 8239/41 to withdrawn - both of which have been sold to Ensign. Guess the Renowns are being freed up by the Omnis, can't imagine that plan has changed.

Re Solars - More than likely replacing all of Chester's SPDs.
Re Solars - More than likely replacing all of Chester's SPDs.
[/quote]

Thats good and bad news, 1st loosing the darts off the 71s thats good but keeping the tridents on the X25 thats bad!!!, however maybe a mix of solars & B10s maybe used on the X25. Sure i read on gne fb site that the X25 would see better buses.
Site Administrator
(02 Jan 2014, 9:20 am)nk55 wrote Thats good and bad news, 1st loosing the darts off the 71s thats good but keeping the tridents on the X25 thats bad!!!, however maybe a mix of solars & B10s maybe used on the X25. Sure i read on gne fb site that the X25 would see better buses.

How many Darts do you have at Chester (inc 8289)? Sure it's 4.

Guess one or two Tridents could be replaced too, to replace Olympians elsewhere (presumably Percy, as they have a number of Tridents already).
East Durham Bus Briefing
Sunderland Bus Briefing

Bet Michael is happy now! Tongue

X3 is still running, but with a express service from Monkwearmouth and West Boldon to Newcastle, which will omit Wardley and Boldon ASDA which will be fantastic!

X36 is running every half hour, as I suggested.

The peak service will be the 99A, to replace the 36/36A.

Sounds good to me...
Site Administrator
(02 Jan 2014, 9:42 am)Tom wrote East Durham Bus Briefing
Sunderland Bus Briefing

Bet Michael is happy now! Tongue

X3 is still running, but with a express service from Monkwearmouth and West Boldon to Newcastle, which will omit Wardley and Boldon ASDA which will be fantastic!

X36 is running every half hour, as I suggested.

The peak service will be the 99A, to replace the 36/36A.

Sounds good to me...

I do wonder how successful a service between Monkwearmouth and Newcastle will be. In my experience, little passengers actually board at Monkwearmouth.
Hey, I can't complain though... Means I still have both express services to Newcastle - approximate 35-40m journey time on the 'revised' X3 too.

Need to be making the most of these school holidays and getting myself some photos of the 9A and 36 at hours which should not be spoken of! Tongue

For convenience, see attached map of the changes:
.png Sunderland_Changes_Jan14.png
(02 Jan 2014, 9:57 am)Dan wrote I do wonder how successful a service between Monkwearmouth and Newcastle will be. In my experience, little passengers actually board at Monkwearmouth.
Hey, I can't complain though... Means I still have both express services to Newcastle - approximate 35-40m journey time on the 'revised' X3 too.

Need to be making the most of these school holidays and getting myself some photos of the 9A and 36 at hours which should not be spoken of! Tongue

Yeah, I did think it was Sunderland it was starting from (quite stupid to start it from Monkwearmouth), but I can change onto a 35/35A or 9 and I will still get that quicker than the X36!
Site Administrator
(02 Jan 2014, 10:00 am)Tom wrote Yeah, I did think it was Sunderland it was starting from (quite stupid to start it from Monkwearmouth), but I can change onto a 35/35A or 9 and I will still get that quicker than the X36!

Quite awkward to turn the bus around at Monkwearmouth too, what with the (now not so recent) changes to the road at the Wheatsheaf.

'Timetables for these new and revised services are now available at simplygo.com, and will be available on board buses by 20th January 2014.'
Pfft, I can't see any timetables online like! Hahah
(02 Jan 2014, 10:05 am)Dan wrote Quite awkward to turn the bus around at Monkwearmouth too, what with the (now not so recent) changes to the road at the Wheatsheaf.

'Timetables for these new and revised services are now available at simplygo.com, and will be available on board buses by 20th January 2014.'
Pfft, I can't see any timetables online like! Hahah

Looking at the East Durham Bus Briefing, there aren't any major changes really.
I've just noticed deptford vehicle 5210 has arrived back painted all yellow so any suggestions where tjis could be heading once we eventually receive the new deckers for the 56...
(02 Jan 2014, 10:11 am)andymac wrote I've just noticed deptford vehicle 5210 has arrived back painted all yellow so any suggestions where tjis could be heading once we eventually receive the new deckers for the 56...

It's heading to Hexham for use on the ''Tynedale Links'' services, and will replace SPD 8228.
(01 Jan 2014, 8:01 pm)Michael wrote The Blaydon racers will recive one because of their addional bus needed, it will be a citaro, can't see it being a cadet etc.

As for the other 2 - I would say the 27 and 43/44 for 1 extra each.

I'd definitely agree with the 27 for an extra vehicle - the timetable was altered slightly a few months back to improve reliability, and it seems to need 15 vehicles. As there are only 14 branded, I'd say 5331 was a good contender for the spot here.

If 4 are used on X7 and one on Blaydon Racers, that leaves just one to be allocated; might be a spare at Riverside?

I could be very wrong of course...Big Grin
(02 Jan 2014, 10:32 am)missedbus wrote I'd definitely agree with the 27 for an extra vehicle - the timetable was altered slightly a few months back to improve reliability, and it seems to need 15 vehicles. As there are only 14 branded, I'd say 5331 was a good contender for the spot here.

If 4 are used on X7 and one on Blaydon Racers, that leaves just one to be allocated; might be a spare at Riverside?

I could be very wrong of course...Big Grin

5331 for Blaydon Racers, 5333-6 for X7 that leaves 5337/8 for 'Pool' fleet (before anyone asks, pool effectively means spare or back-up) which is what the reference to one for Riverside means - fleet liveried example to cover when one on the 27 or on 49s are off the road.
(01 Jan 2014, 10:27 pm)citaro5284 wrote Saltmeadows 29 has nothing to do with GNE though. GNE just operate it on behalf of Nexus as the contract provider. Exactly the same as Arriva have a X10 and GNE do.

Aw right thought it seemed a bit bizarre
Site Administrator
(02 Jan 2014, 10:43 am)Kuyoyo wrote 5331 for Blaydon Racers, 5333-6 for X7 that leaves 5337/8 for 'Pool' fleet (before anyone asks, pool effectively means spare or back-up) which is what the reference to one for Riverside means - fleet liveried example to cover when one on the 27 or on 49s are off the road.

:p At least I'm not repeating what I've said about five times anymore!
(02 Jan 2014, 10:51 am)Dan wrote :p At least I'm not repeating what I've said about five times anymore!

No, you have back-up :p