Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East - Recent Repaints

Go North East - Recent Repaints

Go North East - Recent Repaints

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (64) Previous 139 40 4164 Next
Drifter60

26 Jan 2021, 2:19 pm #781
(26 Jan 2021, 12:17 pm)Andreos1 In summary: There is a strategy which is apparently two years old and involves painting some vehicles in a colour scheme which aligns to a specific area. Some vehicles are painted entirely in that colour, some have a nod to it in their rear and some at the front. 
Some don't have any links to the area and will maintain the corporate identity.
Some will have separate branded liveries.
Some will have the express livery and in the main, it won't tie in with the colour scheme of the area. 
Then there's the 'special' liveries as seen on the likes of the 53/54 or Q3.

I have to agree with all that’s been said here. 
There was a point a couple of years ago when lots of brands got removed, I’m thinking Chester Le Street in particular; 50, 28, 34 all were unbranded, which seem at the time to be an opportunity to simplify and unify the branded services. Sounds good in principal. But looking at where we are now, it doesn’t seem any clearer how this strategy creates a more unified approach. In fact in a way, I don’t think the general public will notice a difference from five years ago when the majority of routes were branded, some weren’t. The only difference will be the fact there’s fewer branded routes today.

A point for a different thread, should probably be what does a unbranded route do for growth, passenger numbers and customer perceptions for a route. While it’s great to see the company investing in new X-lines buses and coaches for the X10 does Jill from Beamish feel the company neglects the 28 service now?
Drifter60
26 Jan 2021, 2:19 pm #781

(26 Jan 2021, 12:17 pm)Andreos1 In summary: There is a strategy which is apparently two years old and involves painting some vehicles in a colour scheme which aligns to a specific area. Some vehicles are painted entirely in that colour, some have a nod to it in their rear and some at the front. 
Some don't have any links to the area and will maintain the corporate identity.
Some will have separate branded liveries.
Some will have the express livery and in the main, it won't tie in with the colour scheme of the area. 
Then there's the 'special' liveries as seen on the likes of the 53/54 or Q3.

I have to agree with all that’s been said here. 
There was a point a couple of years ago when lots of brands got removed, I’m thinking Chester Le Street in particular; 50, 28, 34 all were unbranded, which seem at the time to be an opportunity to simplify and unify the branded services. Sounds good in principal. But looking at where we are now, it doesn’t seem any clearer how this strategy creates a more unified approach. In fact in a way, I don’t think the general public will notice a difference from five years ago when the majority of routes were branded, some weren’t. The only difference will be the fact there’s fewer branded routes today.

A point for a different thread, should probably be what does a unbranded route do for growth, passenger numbers and customer perceptions for a route. While it’s great to see the company investing in new X-lines buses and coaches for the X10 does Jill from Beamish feel the company neglects the 28 service now?

26 Jan 2021, 2:48 pm #782
(26 Jan 2021, 2:02 pm)Drifter60 Well then I think you’ve missed the overall point, taken one mistake on my part to discount the rest of the argument being made. Connections 4 being painted 70% pink doesn’t fix this ‘strategy’. 

Remove the colour of the bus for the second. Little Coaster works because they are a collection of shorter bus services which serve predominantly North Tyneside, the name a clear reference to a bus actually called the “Coaster” which goes further afield to Newcastle City Centre and the MetroCentre. The fact of the matter is there’ll be no route called the “Pink”, despite the fact the company plans on slapping some pink paint on the front of the Connections 4 service, to make it majority pink. So the “Little Pinks” brands doesn’t make sense, yes there’s another pink bus that serves some part of the town but there’s no brand synergy between the two names. Taking the North Tyneside example; Washington’s minibus network should be “Little Connections”. Bring the colour back in, the North Tyneside examples could have been called “Little Blues” then?

I think thats better than little pinks as it states that they connect different areas (which they do) and that they connect with the 'Big' Connections 4 service. And then it would match with the North Tyneside version of Little Coasters, Coasters, Cobalt&Coast.
logidoodah
26 Jan 2021, 2:48 pm #782

(26 Jan 2021, 2:02 pm)Drifter60 Well then I think you’ve missed the overall point, taken one mistake on my part to discount the rest of the argument being made. Connections 4 being painted 70% pink doesn’t fix this ‘strategy’. 

Remove the colour of the bus for the second. Little Coaster works because they are a collection of shorter bus services which serve predominantly North Tyneside, the name a clear reference to a bus actually called the “Coaster” which goes further afield to Newcastle City Centre and the MetroCentre. The fact of the matter is there’ll be no route called the “Pink”, despite the fact the company plans on slapping some pink paint on the front of the Connections 4 service, to make it majority pink. So the “Little Pinks” brands doesn’t make sense, yes there’s another pink bus that serves some part of the town but there’s no brand synergy between the two names. Taking the North Tyneside example; Washington’s minibus network should be “Little Connections”. Bring the colour back in, the North Tyneside examples could have been called “Little Blues” then?

I think thats better than little pinks as it states that they connect different areas (which they do) and that they connect with the 'Big' Connections 4 service. And then it would match with the North Tyneside version of Little Coasters, Coasters, Cobalt&Coast.

V514DFT

26 Jan 2021, 5:55 pm #783
Ive been holding my thoughts back on Little Pinks since it was announced,but cant any longer, i think little pinks sounds like a euphemism for something dirty

Kind Regards
Tez
V514DFT
26 Jan 2021, 5:55 pm #783

Ive been holding my thoughts back on Little Pinks since it was announced,but cant any longer, i think little pinks sounds like a euphemism for something dirty

Kind Regards
Tez

Andreos1

26 Jan 2021, 9:48 pm #784
(26 Jan 2021, 5:55 pm)V514DFT Ive been holding my thoughts back on Little Pinks since it was announced,but cant any longer, i think little pinks sounds like a euphemism for something dirty

Little fingers aren't dirty though. Mine certainly aren't anyway.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
26 Jan 2021, 9:48 pm #784

(26 Jan 2021, 5:55 pm)V514DFT Ive been holding my thoughts back on Little Pinks since it was announced,but cant any longer, i think little pinks sounds like a euphemism for something dirty

Little fingers aren't dirty though. Mine certainly aren't anyway.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

Jimmi

27 Jan 2021, 11:36 pm #785
(26 Jan 2021, 9:48 pm)Andreos1 Little fingers aren't dirty though. Mine certainly aren't anyway.
If like me you have a dirty enough mind, you can turn pretty much anything into a euphemism lol
Jimmi
27 Jan 2021, 11:36 pm #785

(26 Jan 2021, 9:48 pm)Andreos1 Little fingers aren't dirty though. Mine certainly aren't anyway.
If like me you have a dirty enough mind, you can turn pretty much anything into a euphemism lol

28 Jan 2021, 9:35 pm #786
[Image: dfd5bc726f3112b0f0e07817de26ec72.jpg]
684 is now in Little Pinks base livery

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk
TEN 6083
28 Jan 2021, 9:35 pm #786

[Image: dfd5bc726f3112b0f0e07817de26ec72.jpg]

Michael

28 Jan 2021, 10:08 pm #787
(28 Jan 2021, 9:35 pm)TEN 6083 [Image: dfd5bc726f3112b0f0e07817de26ec72.jpg]

Actually think that works quite well.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
28 Jan 2021, 10:08 pm #787

(28 Jan 2021, 9:35 pm)TEN 6083 [Image: dfd5bc726f3112b0f0e07817de26ec72.jpg]

Actually think that works quite well.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Wybus

29 Jan 2021, 12:22 am #788
(25 Jan 2021, 2:30 am)omnicity4659 I totally agree. There's a few things which Best Impressions gets right, such as the smaller details which are often overlooked by other studios (stickers, interiors, timetables and in a lot of cases they're a bit tidier too).

But their 'ideas' are repetitive and boring, this isn't a new thing. I spotted designs from 1998 which had the same format or background image for three different operators serving Heathrow! Beacon, although didn't have the best 'finish' did bring a lot of ideas and seemed to know the area a lot better. There wasn't an anti-car agenda or a focus on promoting green credentials from them either. Slogans like "go the greener way" or "it's posher than your car" isn't going to wash with car drivers, people marketing public transport needs to see the benefits from both sides as well as the perception of current and future customers, not the silly clichés which are going around...

I think Best Impressions relies on naivety and a lack of expertise from their clients to survive, people who care and work in design see straight through their c**p.

I have both opinions on Ray and Best Impressions. If the current situation is bland and boring, his liveries are great and really bring the company into the modern era. Take the refresh of East Yorkshire as an example of this, the old regime ran it very traditionally and it needed pulling into the 21st century, or the various bits he’s done around FirstGroup such as the Excel in Norfolk.

But when you’ve already got strong unique branding, I think bringing in Best Impressions has been a retrograde step. GNE seems to be gradually turning into a carbon copy of Transdev in Yorkshire and Lancashire. Rather than unique brands like The Blaydon Racers and Red Kite we’ve got nondescript brands that could be anywhere, all the with the same thin and thick font, and slogans on the back like we see everywhere. I know Fab56 flowers and all were ridiculed here, but how long did it take to come up with Cityrider?!
Wybus
29 Jan 2021, 12:22 am #788

(25 Jan 2021, 2:30 am)omnicity4659 I totally agree. There's a few things which Best Impressions gets right, such as the smaller details which are often overlooked by other studios (stickers, interiors, timetables and in a lot of cases they're a bit tidier too).

But their 'ideas' are repetitive and boring, this isn't a new thing. I spotted designs from 1998 which had the same format or background image for three different operators serving Heathrow! Beacon, although didn't have the best 'finish' did bring a lot of ideas and seemed to know the area a lot better. There wasn't an anti-car agenda or a focus on promoting green credentials from them either. Slogans like "go the greener way" or "it's posher than your car" isn't going to wash with car drivers, people marketing public transport needs to see the benefits from both sides as well as the perception of current and future customers, not the silly clichés which are going around...

I think Best Impressions relies on naivety and a lack of expertise from their clients to survive, people who care and work in design see straight through their c**p.

I have both opinions on Ray and Best Impressions. If the current situation is bland and boring, his liveries are great and really bring the company into the modern era. Take the refresh of East Yorkshire as an example of this, the old regime ran it very traditionally and it needed pulling into the 21st century, or the various bits he’s done around FirstGroup such as the Excel in Norfolk.

But when you’ve already got strong unique branding, I think bringing in Best Impressions has been a retrograde step. GNE seems to be gradually turning into a carbon copy of Transdev in Yorkshire and Lancashire. Rather than unique brands like The Blaydon Racers and Red Kite we’ve got nondescript brands that could be anywhere, all the with the same thin and thick font, and slogans on the back like we see everywhere. I know Fab56 flowers and all were ridiculed here, but how long did it take to come up with Cityrider?!

29 Jan 2021, 9:05 am #789
(29 Jan 2021, 12:22 am)Wybus I have both opinions on Ray and Best Impressions. If the current situation is bland and boring, his liveries are great and really bring the company into the modern era. Take the refresh of East Yorkshire as an example of this, the old regime ran it very traditionally and it needed pulling into the 21st century, or the various bits he’s done around FirstGroup such as the Excel in Norfolk.

There's a time and place for design agencies like Best Impressions, and to me GNE really isn't the place. 

Like you say, what they did for East Yorkshire is excellent. They went from blending in to really standing out.

The issue is when you have a fleet that already stands out like GNE did, applying the Best Impressions 'copy and paste' design just makes everything blend together. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in the Best Impressions office there was just a fruit machine with their design options, you pick whether you want the line to be at the front, back or middle, whether you want it straight, forwards or backwards, and if you want a swoop, line, or if you want to look like you're really cool, *multiple lines*

Something a bit like this, and yes, I probably put more effort into this joke than Best Impressions put into their designs

[Image: Best-Impressions-design-o-matic.jpg]
streetdeckfan
29 Jan 2021, 9:05 am #789

(29 Jan 2021, 12:22 am)Wybus I have both opinions on Ray and Best Impressions. If the current situation is bland and boring, his liveries are great and really bring the company into the modern era. Take the refresh of East Yorkshire as an example of this, the old regime ran it very traditionally and it needed pulling into the 21st century, or the various bits he’s done around FirstGroup such as the Excel in Norfolk.

There's a time and place for design agencies like Best Impressions, and to me GNE really isn't the place. 

Like you say, what they did for East Yorkshire is excellent. They went from blending in to really standing out.

The issue is when you have a fleet that already stands out like GNE did, applying the Best Impressions 'copy and paste' design just makes everything blend together. 

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if in the Best Impressions office there was just a fruit machine with their design options, you pick whether you want the line to be at the front, back or middle, whether you want it straight, forwards or backwards, and if you want a swoop, line, or if you want to look like you're really cool, *multiple lines*

Something a bit like this, and yes, I probably put more effort into this joke than Best Impressions put into their designs

[Image: Best-Impressions-design-o-matic.jpg]

Michael

29 Jan 2021, 9:19 am #790
I very much doubt non enthusiasts will care, people just want to get from A to B - even more so if they're a keyworker.

I'm an enthusiast but I really don't care, if its a copy and paste job, I just want the bus to get me from A to B, as I'm a keyworker.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
29 Jan 2021, 9:19 am #790

I very much doubt non enthusiasts will care, people just want to get from A to B - even more so if they're a keyworker.

I'm an enthusiast but I really don't care, if its a copy and paste job, I just want the bus to get me from A to B, as I'm a keyworker.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

citaro5284

29 Jan 2021, 5:15 pm #791
https://twitter.com/Dan3942/status/13551...79523?s=20

Shot of the interior of the Merc
citaro5284
29 Jan 2021, 5:15 pm #791

https://twitter.com/Dan3942/status/13551...79523?s=20

Michael

30 Jan 2021, 11:48 am #792
Looks like the seats from 5358 are now in 5486. Dan confirmed it on his twitter:

The seats from 5358 are now in 5486 (ex-GSC Citaro in non-standard trim), while the seats from 5486 have been re-cushioned and re-trimmed for 5358.

https://twitter.com/Dan3942/status/1355268934723903493

Edit:

Have 8339 - 8343 been fitted with Wi-Fi and ‘next stop’ audio-visual announcements yet?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
30 Jan 2021, 11:48 am #792

Looks like the seats from 5358 are now in 5486. Dan confirmed it on his twitter:

The seats from 5358 are now in 5486 (ex-GSC Citaro in non-standard trim), while the seats from 5486 have been re-cushioned and re-trimmed for 5358.

Edit:

Have 8339 - 8343 been fitted with Wi-Fi and ‘next stop’ audio-visual announcements yet?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Michael

30 Jan 2021, 6:18 pm #793
Seen in Blackburn at Read Commercials is Go North East's Optare Solo M9250SR, 682 NK66 CWX.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62607125@N08/50887559733/ - photo credit to Chris Hinds

-------

Is it down for a repaint?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
30 Jan 2021, 6:18 pm #793

Seen in Blackburn at Read Commercials is Go North East's Optare Solo M9250SR, 682 NK66 CWX.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/62607125@N08/50887559733/ - photo credit to Chris Hinds

-------

Is it down for a repaint?

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

Drifter60

30 Jan 2021, 7:01 pm #794
(29 Jan 2021, 9:19 am)Michael I very much doubt non enthusiasts will care, people just want to get from A to B - even more so if they're a keyworker.

Well it’s not a question of caring. This is a forum about buses, we get into the minor details of each decision that’s made. In the same way members read certain Twitter feeds to get the latest scoop of new brands, vehicle movements etc. 

Go North East has been been branding vehicles and bus routes for the best part of 15 years now, clearly strategies for doing so evolve. Natural staff turnover and managerial changes mixed with changing consumer habits and wider regeneration (or lack of it) will mean priorities change over time. 

Most people in our region use buses as the only means of transport suitable. They’re non car drivers or work somewhere parking or driving isn’t convenient. So you’re right the colour of the number 4 or what name is given to the X1 isn’t the top priority. But it’s a marketing strategy to encourage repeated use (for both those regular journeys and leisure travel in normal times) and also most importantly entice new customers to ditch the car and use the bus. 

The point that was made further up - and realising I’m replying a couple of days past - is that tinkering with colour schemes and trying to make networks link together seems counterintuitive. As you point out, key workers like yourself don’t pay particular notice to the new Crusader 27 being painted sliver with red at the rear. Most will notice it’s now a double decker and allowing greater capacity and it’s still mostly silver. The idea that bit of red that’s being added then links to the wider South Tyneside network also being ‘red’ doesn’t particularly strike me as something that passengers are going notice.  

However, the new look solos for Washington look good in the two tone pink colours. Just a shame about the name.
Drifter60
30 Jan 2021, 7:01 pm #794

(29 Jan 2021, 9:19 am)Michael I very much doubt non enthusiasts will care, people just want to get from A to B - even more so if they're a keyworker.

Well it’s not a question of caring. This is a forum about buses, we get into the minor details of each decision that’s made. In the same way members read certain Twitter feeds to get the latest scoop of new brands, vehicle movements etc. 

Go North East has been been branding vehicles and bus routes for the best part of 15 years now, clearly strategies for doing so evolve. Natural staff turnover and managerial changes mixed with changing consumer habits and wider regeneration (or lack of it) will mean priorities change over time. 

Most people in our region use buses as the only means of transport suitable. They’re non car drivers or work somewhere parking or driving isn’t convenient. So you’re right the colour of the number 4 or what name is given to the X1 isn’t the top priority. But it’s a marketing strategy to encourage repeated use (for both those regular journeys and leisure travel in normal times) and also most importantly entice new customers to ditch the car and use the bus. 

The point that was made further up - and realising I’m replying a couple of days past - is that tinkering with colour schemes and trying to make networks link together seems counterintuitive. As you point out, key workers like yourself don’t pay particular notice to the new Crusader 27 being painted sliver with red at the rear. Most will notice it’s now a double decker and allowing greater capacity and it’s still mostly silver. The idea that bit of red that’s being added then links to the wider South Tyneside network also being ‘red’ doesn’t particularly strike me as something that passengers are going notice.  

However, the new look solos for Washington look good in the two tone pink colours. Just a shame about the name.

Malarkey

30 Jan 2021, 8:41 pm #795
As I am not a fan of "Little Pinks" I thought i'd bring back some of Washington's old brands into present time with these few attempts.

.jpg
Washington Local Liveries.jpg
Size 93.09 KB / Downloads 83
Malarkey
30 Jan 2021, 8:41 pm #795

As I am not a fan of "Little Pinks" I thought i'd bring back some of Washington's old brands into present time with these few attempts.

.jpg
Washington Local Liveries.jpg
Size 93.09 KB / Downloads 83

Michael

30 Jan 2021, 8:53 pm #796
(30 Jan 2021, 8:41 pm)Malarkey As I am not a fan of "Little Pinks" I thought i'd bring back some of Washington's old brands into present time with these few attempts.

Bring back Washington Street Shuttle.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
30 Jan 2021, 8:53 pm #796

(30 Jan 2021, 8:41 pm)Malarkey As I am not a fan of "Little Pinks" I thought i'd bring back some of Washington's old brands into present time with these few attempts.

Bring back Washington Street Shuttle.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

30 Jan 2021, 9:18 pm #797
(30 Jan 2021, 11:48 am)Michael Have 8339 - 8343 been fitted with Wi-Fi and ‘next stop’ audio-visual announcements yet?

Yep, think so. Remember noticing last time I drove one of them, assume they've gained ones off some of the withdrawn Citaros.
deanmachine
30 Jan 2021, 9:18 pm #797

(30 Jan 2021, 11:48 am)Michael Have 8339 - 8343 been fitted with Wi-Fi and ‘next stop’ audio-visual announcements yet?

Yep, think so. Remember noticing last time I drove one of them, assume they've gained ones off some of the withdrawn Citaros.

Malarkey

30 Jan 2021, 11:24 pm #798
(30 Jan 2021, 8:53 pm)Michael Bring back Washington Street Shuttle.

Get a petition started before they paint another Solo   Tongue
Malarkey
30 Jan 2021, 11:24 pm #798

(30 Jan 2021, 8:53 pm)Michael Bring back Washington Street Shuttle.

Get a petition started before they paint another Solo   Tongue

31 Jan 2021, 9:50 am #799
(29 Jan 2021, 5:15 pm)citaro5284 https://twitter.com/Dan3942/status/13551...79523?s=20

Wonder why they didn't go for the leather headrest, it looks a bit odd without it imo.
(30 Jan 2021, 11:48 am)Michael Looks like the seats from 5358 are now in 5486. Dan confirmed it on his twitter:

Edit:

Such a shame that didn't take the 'non-standard' seating layout as well.

Good to hear they're re-cushioning the seats, I don't know what they did when they refurbed the older batches but the seats were awful.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk
streetdeckfan
31 Jan 2021, 9:50 am #799

(29 Jan 2021, 5:15 pm)citaro5284 https://twitter.com/Dan3942/status/13551...79523?s=20

Wonder why they didn't go for the leather headrest, it looks a bit odd without it imo.
(30 Jan 2021, 11:48 am)Michael Looks like the seats from 5358 are now in 5486. Dan confirmed it on his twitter:

Edit:

Such a shame that didn't take the 'non-standard' seating layout as well.

Good to hear they're re-cushioning the seats, I don't know what they did when they refurbed the older batches but the seats were awful.

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

31 Jan 2021, 12:50 pm #800
(31 Jan 2021, 9:50 am)streetdeckfan Wonder why they didn't go for the leather headrest, it looks a bit odd without it imo.

Easier to do at Saltmeadows? Rather than sending it off to a third party.
deanmachine
31 Jan 2021, 12:50 pm #800

(31 Jan 2021, 9:50 am)streetdeckfan Wonder why they didn't go for the leather headrest, it looks a bit odd without it imo.

Easier to do at Saltmeadows? Rather than sending it off to a third party.

Pages (64) Previous 139 40 4164 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average