You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: New service X11
(31 Mar 2021, 4:03 pm)Adrian wrote £15 is brilliant value for the day, given that you can make the joining trips on/off the X11 and use the open topper. The Beachcomber is £5 adult / £12 group normally.

streetdeckfan suggests this rules out that Explorers aren't valid, but I cannot find anything to back that up on the Go North East or Network Ticketing website. Although its granted that they wouldn't be valid on the Beachcomber anyway.

Assuming the Explorer tickets are valid, I think I'd rather go that route than buying the X11 ticket. 
I get the added flexibility of returning on the X93 if I fancy sticking around an hour or two, and can make use of the X93 during the day.
Plus, if I wanted to use the Beachcomber, and a ticket is only £5, then it will only make it £15.90, so 90p more expensive.

(31 Mar 2021, 5:31 pm)BoroLad wrote I think that ticketing is pretty reasonable. It's particularly good to see the open top services included, which I'm sure will be well used. While I would have liked to see more through tickets (such as enabling onward travel to Filey/Bridlington), realistically they wouldn't be well used since most people's first instinct after a three hour bus ride isn't to spend another hour going even further south!

One ticket which I was surprised not to see feature is any kind of period return - priced appropriately that could have attracted those making slightly longer stays as well as those making the trip in reverse (if all goes well, by the end of the summer there could even be demand from young Scarborough residents going on nights out in Newcastle). Such tickets are available on the Coastliner service from Leeds to Scarborough/Whitby. But then again - this is the first year this is operating, and I can understand wanting to have simple tickets while the service finds its feet.

The fact that they do actually specify '1 day' on the ticket suggests to me that there are more options to come,
New service X11
I think we need to be realistic and be clear that GNE would have considered every eventuality in regards to most of these issues. Reading between the lines I suspect that Explorers won't be valid and that as Andros has mentioned, it seems more targeted to day trippers. The pricing structure is targeted to try to encourage that; people in Whitby and Scarborough will be more inclined to use an Explorer and get a regular local service to Boro, then connect to X9/X10 (or if they're feeling adventurous and in no hurry, the X12) to travel to Newcastle instead.

That being said, I think that the initial reaction to a full bus on the return leg will be greeted with much joy in GNE Towers, they'll almost certainly have EYMS on standby to deploy a spare bus to take anyone left to Boro and then put them on the X9/X10. Can you imagine the local rags if punters were left stranded down there? Cue photo of the person stood holding their ticket in one hand and a bucket & spade in the other while looking sad!

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk
The pricing looks very reasonable, and if a group of 4 travel together they can go to Scarborough and back for a tenner each.
If all it takes to not have to accept ENCTS passes is to have a route primarily used for tourism, then good on Go North East for not accepting them as of course its a touristy service. In fact Arriva were daft not to do exactly the same when they ran the X60.

Concessionary pass holders can still get a really cheap day out on the X11, but I do hope for the drivers sake that they have some very clearly worded posters saying free passes are not valid.
New service X11
(31 Mar 2021, 9:55 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Assuming the Explorer tickets are valid, I think I'd rather go that route than buying the X11 ticket. 
I get the added flexibility of returning on the X93 if I fancy sticking around an hour or two, and can make use of the X93 during the day.
Plus, if I wanted to use the Beachcomber, and a ticket is only £5, then it will only make it £15.90, so 90p more expensive.

The fact that they do actually specify '1 day' on the ticket suggests to me that there are more options to come,

[Image: a5097f2030a4eed093dd65fd3c5ebbc9.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone XS using Tapatalk
(31 Mar 2021, 9:55 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Assuming the Explorer tickets are valid, I think I'd rather go that route than buying the X11 ticket. 

I was thinking about this earlier when it was confirmed Explorers would not be valid. 

To get to Newcastle I'd need an ANE ticket anyway. The X11 ticket will only be valid on that journey, and there's no flexibility. So that's £20.50 if I want to get to Scarborough. Alternatively, I could get to Newcastle with ANE, hop on an X9/X10 to Middlesbrough, use the X93 to my heart's content, and catch an X9/X10 back up all for £10 (£5.50 ANE NE Regionwide, £4.50 GNE 5-25). Granted, there's no Beachcomber included there but for me that would only bring my total to £15 - and I still have full flexibility.

Obviously that's a situation applicable only to students really, but for me there won't be any real benefit to getting the X11 over the traditional way of doing it. I'll definitely do it once to give it some support mind, but it'll likely be limited to once given how I can do the same trip for half the price using the more flexible services.
(01 Apr 2021, 10:32 pm)mb134 wrote I was thinking about this earlier when it was confirmed Explorers would not be valid. 

To get to Newcastle I'd need an ANE ticket anyway. The X11 ticket will only be valid on that journey, and there's no flexibility. So that's £20.50 if I want to get to Scarborough. Alternatively, I could get to Newcastle with ANE, hop on an X9/X10 to Middlesbrough, use the X93 to my heart's content, and catch an X9/X10 back up all for £10 (£5.50 ANE NE Regionwide, £4.50 GNE 5-25). Granted, there's no Beachcomber included there but for me that would only bring my total to £15 - and I still have full flexibility.

Obviously that's a situation applicable only to students really, but for me there won't be any real benefit to getting the X11 over the traditional way of doing it. I'll definitely do it once to give it some support mind, but it'll likely be limited to once given how I can do the same trip for half the price using the more flexible services.

Having thought about it, I'll probably not bother with the X11.
I have to be staying with family in Gateshead otherwise it's impossible for me to make it for the outward journey.
And, I don't know about anybody else, but even when I'm travelling from Bishop to Newcastle, I'll often stop off in Durham for a coffee, I'd rather have the flexibility to do that on the way to Scarborough as well.

I also really don't get the appeal of Scarborough, I'd rather go north up the coast than south, and we have plenty of places just as nice locally
(01 Apr 2021, 10:59 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Having thought about it, I'll probably not bother with the X11.
I have to be staying with family in Gateshead otherwise it's impossible for me to make it for the outward journey.
And, I don't know about anybody else, but even when I'm travelling from Bishop to Newcastle, I'll often stop off in Durham for a coffee, I'd rather have the flexibility to do that on the way to Scarborough as well.

I also really don't get the appeal of Scarborough, I'd rather go north up the coast than south, and we have plenty of places just as nice locally

But they've gone and got a Streetdeck for it especially for you!

I get what you mean though. I will happily do a day of journeys all around the region, but I do like to split it up a bit and get on different vehicles. As I said, I'll probably do an X11 once to give a bit of support, but even then I'll likely head back on the X93 before the return X11 trip. 

In terms of heading north, the summer X18 is returning this year if you're looking for some E400 action up the coast, I know how much you like them  Wink
I think dropping Explorer validity has probably lost it for me as well. Like others on here, I like to mix and match my bus journeys, so need the flexibility of being able to hop on and off whichever bus takes my fancy. However, if I get the special "X11" ticket, that then limits me to GNE services; yes, I can use the X9 / X10 to come back up from Middlesbrough, but if I go anywhere beyond that I'm stuck until the X11 or I have to fork out for an Arriva ticket as well. And my timings also become very limited if I stay with GNE.

Might there not have been scope for an "Explorer Plus" ticket, same validity as Explorer with the addition of the X11? Maybe scope for a small surcharge on X11 for holders of Explorers?
Site Administrator
(02 Apr 2021, 7:57 am)Ianthegoon wrote I think dropping Explorer validity has probably lost it for me as well.  Like others on here, I like to mix and match my bus journeys, so need the flexibility of being able to hop on and off whichever bus takes my fancy.  However, if I get the special "X11" ticket, that then limits me to GNE services; yes, I can use the X9 / X10 to come back up from Middlesbrough, but if I go anywhere beyond that I'm stuck until the X11 or I have to fork out for an Arriva ticket as well.  And my timings also become very limited if I stay with GNE.

Might there not have been scope for an "Explorer Plus" ticket, same validity as Explorer with the addition of the X11?  Maybe scope for a small surcharge on X11 for holders of Explorers?

The remittance to an operator for use of an Explorer ticket is next to nothing. If you're buying an Explorer, you'd likely be the same passenger who would go to Scarborough by using the existing X9/X10 and X93 services. Especially while social distancing is in place, if you're an Explorer ticket holder, you're potentially taking up a seat that could have been allocated to a full fare-paying passenger. A harsh way of looking at it, but that's the current situation that we're in.

The £15 ticket, which is effectively an all-zones (including X9/X10) day ticket allowing additional travel to Whitby and Scarborough, is priced similarly to that of a coach trip ticket (£19.50 for this example). Go North East's equivalent offering is less as a normal service bus is not as desirable as a coach, but it has the added perk of having all Go North East services included, as well as the Beachcomber open-top bus service. Arguably there are reasons why it could have been priced at the same value (flexibility: you have to book a coach, but not this bus; and unlike the coach trip, the ticket also gives added flexibility, in that you can visit both Whitby and Scarborough in the same day) but I think that £15 is fairly priced and should enable Go North East to cover its costs adequately, with a reasonable load.

As with all seasonal services, the bus will not be full every single day (indeed if it's raining, chances are nobody will be on it and the service will run at a considerable loss that day), but the good days hopefully outweigh the bad.
(01 Apr 2021, 10:59 pm)streetdeckfan wrote And, I don't know about anybody else, but even when I'm travelling from Bishop to Newcastle, I'll often stop off in Durham for a coffee, I'd rather have the flexibility to do that on the way to Scarborough as well.

I have to say, I think its disgraceful that GNE haven't planned a bus service around you having a coffee in Durham.

Poor show.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
To be fair the X11 service (and other seasonal services) are aimed at joe public rather than enthusiasts. In the case of the X11 it provides people with a direct link from Newcastle to Scarborough without the hassle of changing at Middlesbrough, worrying about connections, getting on an already busy X93. The Beamish service is aimed at making it easier for tourists to head from Newcastle to Beamish without impacting capacity on local services, still puzzled to why it serves CLS but it's up to GNE, and also gives the customer the gurantee that the bus is definatley heading to Beamish as it terminates there.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
(02 Apr 2021, 10:19 am)Adrian wrote I have to say, I think its disgraceful that GNE haven't planned a bus service around you having a coffee in Durham.

Poor show.

Mind in fairness to him. A 3 hour and 5 minute journey is a very long journey for some people without any form of toilet, especially travelling with kids. It doesn't seem like there's a break of 15 minutes or so in Middlesbrough either for passengers to quickly jump off if they need to and you can't exactly just get off and get the bus behind (as there isn't one). If i had a child I'd intentionally avoid it for that reason alone as you'd be screwed if they needed to go 20 minutes or so into the journey - it's not like you can say it's fine there's a toilet in 2 hours 40 minutes.
(02 Apr 2021, 11:20 am)Storx wrote Mind in fairness to him. A 3 hour and 5 minute journey is a very long journey for some people without any form of toilet, especially travelling with kids. It doesn't seem like there's a break of 15 minutes or so in Middlesbrough either for passengers to quickly jump off if they need to and you can't exactly just get off and get the bus behind (as there isn't one). If i had a child I'd intentionally avoid it for that reason alone as you'd be screwed if they needed to go 20 minutes or so into the journey - it's not like you can say it's fine there's a toilet in 2 hours 40 minutes.
Which was no different to the Arriva X60 when it ran is it?
.pdf X60-Ncl-Scar.pdf
(02 Apr 2021, 11:31 am)citaro5284 wrote Which was no different to the Arriva X60 when it ran is it?

Not sure on the validility of tickets but you could've easily jumped off at Middlesbrough and changed onto the X93 though.

Also just because the X60 done it aswell doesn't make it right, the fact that's not running anymore just highlights that people weren't paying for the service especially at £15 and it was full of pensioners using their passes (which was the reason it was cancelled).
(02 Apr 2021, 10:53 am)Rapidsnap wrote To be fair the X11 service (and other seasonal services) are aimed at joe public rather than enthusiasts. In the case of the X11 it provides people with a direct link from Newcastle to Scarborough without the hassle of changing at Middlesbrough, worrying about connections, getting on an already busy X93. The Beamish service is aimed at making it easier for tourists to head from Newcastle to Beamish without impacting capacity on local services, still puzzled to why it serves CLS but it's up to GNE, and also gives the customer the gurantee that the bus is definatley heading to Beamish as it terminates there.
Well realistically, the Beamish bus has to use the A1 as it's the quickest route. Since CLS is literally 2mins off the A1, it's not losing anything by going in and also allows for driver changeovers to be made at the Point.

(02 Apr 2021, 8:31 am)Dan wrote The remittance to an operator for use of an Explorer ticket is next to nothing. If you're buying an Explorer, you'd likely be the same passenger who would go to Scarborough by using the existing X9/X10 and X93 services. Especially while social distancing is in place, if you're an Explorer ticket holder, you're potentially taking up a seat that could have been allocated to a full fare-paying passenger. A harsh way of looking at it, but that's the current situation that we're in.

The £15 ticket, which is effectively an all-zones (including X9/X10) day ticket allowing additional travel to Whitby and Scarborough, is priced similarly to that of a coach trip ticket (£19.50 for this example). Go North East's equivalent offering is less as a normal service bus is not as desirable as a coach, but it has the added perk of having all Go North East services included, as well as the Beachcomber open-top bus service. Arguably there are reasons why it could have been priced at the same value (flexibility: you have to book a coach, but not this bus; and unlike the coach trip, the ticket also gives added flexibility, in that you can visit both Whitby and Scarborough in the same day) but I think that £15 is fairly priced and should enable Go North East to cover its costs adequately, with a reasonable load.

As with all seasonal services, the bus will not be full every single day (indeed if it's raining, chances are nobody will be on it and the service will run at a considerable loss that day), but the good days hopefully outweigh the bad.

Aye I think it's clear why Explorers won't be valid, especially in the current climate. I do think for the majority of folk, £15 is a fair price. Let's assume they're all wanting to use the Beachcomber, so we'll say it's really a £10 ticket. 

An ANE NE Regionwide is £8.50 for an adult. An X9/X10 Plus is also £8.50. That's £17 for the trip. 

Equally, the Explorer at £10.50 is still more expensive if we're assuming folk want the open top ride. 

For the target market, which definitely isn't the enthusiast community, it's pretty well priced. I also don't think I've ever seen a non-enthusiast with an Explorer, obviously they will get sold but are many people aware of them? 

From a personal point of view, the only reason I'd be doing the X11 is for a jolly on 6377 and to give a bit of support for the ambition. Again though, that's mainly because I have no reason to stay in Scarborough by myself all day (and if I suggested the idea to friends it would be shot down with a "this is why we have cars"), I enjoy the flexibility, and if we're honest enthusiasts will generally be wanting to get on a few vehicles a day - not spend it all waiting for one trip. 

On the rainy day note Dan, get a B7 Gemini allocated and I might just have a second run on it.  Wink
Tbh the Explorer not being valid on the X11 makes a lot of sense due to the fact the ticket isn't valid on Tour services. Which makes sense. Why not allow it for the Toon Tour yet make it valid on the X11. I think its better not to use it. Tbh if the Explorer ticket was allowed. A lot more people would buy the ticket for 10.90 then pay £15 for the bus itself. If the Explorer ticket was used on all tour services. They wouldn't make that much money. Cause im sure the Tyne and Wear day rover isn't allowed on the toon tour. I tried once when it started yet the Stagecoach Seasider was allowed????
Will the X11 run under Tacho rules or domestic? Are East Yorkshire drivers also familiarised with the StreetDeck (or StreetLite) in the event a GNE driver was too ill to take the bus all the way back home?
(02 Apr 2021, 11:20 am)Storx wrote Mind in fairness to him. A 3 hour and 5 minute journey is a very long journey for some people without any form of toilet, especially travelling with kids. It doesn't seem like there's a break of 15 minutes or so in Middlesbrough either for passengers to quickly jump off if they need to and you can't exactly just get off and get the bus behind (as there isn't one). If i had a child I'd intentionally avoid it for that reason alone as you'd be screwed if they needed to go 20 minutes or so into the journey - it's not like you can say it's fine there's a toilet in 2 hours 40 minutes.

The key to what you've said is "some people"

I agree that a 3 hour and 5 minute journey would be very long to go without a toilet for some people, but not all. People still have the option of an Explorer ticket and the X9/X10/X12 followed by X93, if they'd like to make it a 4 hour+ journey to accommodate their toilet or coffee requirements.

It would be a nightmare having a 15 minute break in Middlesbrough for example. What happens if there's queues for the toilets or shops, as there inevitably is at motorway services when a coach pulls in? Is the bus supposed to inconvenience everyone else and hang around?
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(02 Apr 2021, 10:19 am)Adrian wrote I have to say, I think its disgraceful that GNE haven't planned a bus service around you having a coffee in Durham.

Poor show.

It really is, I'll be taking my business elsewhere in the future!

If they'd have allocated a coach instead of 6377, that would basically be non-issue. 
I think allocating a double bus is a big mistake from a marketing perspective, if you were an average person who doesn't understand buses, would you pick a regular coach service (presumably with a bog) for £20 or a rattly old GNE bus for £15. I know which I'd go with!
Yes, I'd go with the even cheaper option of getting the Explorer and going Arriva because I get the best of both worlds!

(02 Apr 2021, 12:22 pm)mb134 wrote For the target market, which definitely isn't the enthusiast community, it's pretty well priced. I also don't think I've ever seen a non-enthusiast with an Explorer, obviously they will get sold but are many people aware of them? 

From a personal point of view, the only reason I'd be doing the X11 is for a jolly on 6377 and to give a bit of support for the ambition. Again though, that's mainly because I have no reason to stay in Scarborough by myself all day (and if I suggested the idea to friends it would be shot down with a "this is why we have cars"), I enjoy the flexibility, and if we're honest enthusiasts will generally be wanting to get on a few vehicles a day - not spend it all waiting for one trip. 

I have a friend who uses the Explorer ticket, in fact she suggested to me we should go to either Carlisle, Berwick, or Scarborough one day. She's very much like me when it comes to getting your moneys worth out of a ticket!
I wonder if they'd consider, if the X11 goes well, doing a similar service but from Durham instead.
That would be infinitely more appealing to me, and I think would have a much greater use. The X11 only really travels through places that already have easy access to the coast. For me in Bishop, it's a trek, and I can imagine it's the same for people in Consett, Stanley etc.
(02 Apr 2021, 3:23 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I wonder if they'd consider, if the X11 goes well, doing a similar service but from Durham instead.
That would be infinitely more appealing to me, and I think would have a much greater use. The X11 only really travels through places that already have easy access to the coast. For me in Bishop, it's a trek, and I can imagine it's the same for people in Consett, Stanley etc.

I wouldn't say its that much of a trek for those in Consett or Stanley. It's about an hour from Consett to Newcastle depending on what service you get. I grant that for Bishop it's more of a hit being about and hour and a half. Saying that, I live in South Tyneside and it can take me half an hour to get to the town from here and its only a few miles away! You can please everyone and whichever route they took, they were always going to pee someone off.

After all, Martijn has talked about this being a testing the water exercise to an extent so who knows what the future may bring.

(02 Apr 2021, 2:34 pm)Adrian wrote The key to what you've said is "some people"

I agree that a 3 hour and 5 minute journey would be very long to go without a toilet for some people, but not all. People still have the option of an Explorer ticket and the X9/X10/X12 followed by X93, if they'd like to make it a 4 hour+ journey to accommodate their toilet or coffee requirements.

It would be a nightmare having a 15 minute break in Middlesbrough for example. What happens if there's queues for the toilets or shops, as there inevitably is at motorway services when a coach pulls in? Is the bus supposed to inconvenience everyone else and hang around?

There is a 5 minute sit at Middlesbrough, I'm sure if there was a child desperate for a toilet break the driver would wait an extra minute or two so they could go. Far better that way than having to get the bus cleaned at Scarborough.
(02 Apr 2021, 3:54 pm)mb134 wrote There is a 5 minute sit at Middlesbrough, I'm sure if there was a child desperate for a toilet break the driver would wait an extra minute or two so they could go. Far better that way than having to get the bus cleaned at Scarborough.
I would also imagine the driver might need the toilet too...
(02 Apr 2021, 3:51 pm)6049 wrote I wouldn't say its that much of a trek for those in Consett or Stanley. It's about an hour from Consett to Newcastle depending on what service you get. I grant that for Bishop it's more of a hit being about and hour and a half. Saying that, I live in South Tyneside and it can take me half an hour to get to the town from here and its only a few miles away! You can please everyone and whichever route they took, they were always going to pee someone off.

After all, Martijn has talked about this being a testing the water exercise to an extent so who knows what the future may bring.

I was talking more about getting to any coast, not necessarily connecting to the X11. From basically anywhere along the X11 route, there is an alternative to go to the coast.
One thing I struggle to get my head around, is the lack of integration with the X9/10.

Yes, those boarding the X11 can buy a ticket which will allow them travel on the X9/10, but it's not the case for those using the X9/10 and wanting to take advantage of the X11. 

How does an ordinary punter standing in Middlesbrough differentiate between the three routes, particularly when they have the same brand-name, are operated by the same company, all go via Gateshead and terminate in Newcastle? 
Never mind that the bus working the X11, may have been on the X9/10 earlier in the week as an allocated spare... 

Surely it is about reducing barriers to public transport, making it attractive and not pi$$ing passengers off to the extent they use the train instead.

As an 'enthusiast', I understand the differences between the three routes. An ordinary punter, the very same punter who GNE want to attract - may not. 
I'd certainly not want to be the driver of an X11 having to break the news to a queue of passengers in Middlesbrough or Peterlee - that their ticket isn't valid, they need to pay a premium or hang-around until the next X10 rocks up.
Even more so, if I then drive off with a half-empty bus, which has struggled to break even on that particular day.

"yes, I do go to Newcastle. Yes, I was driving the X9 just the other day. Yes, it does have the same brand name on the side as the X10. But no, you can't get on the bus unless you pay a premium, even though I'm half empty and there's plenty of seats left'.

*gets back to the depot and chats to colleagues in the canteen*

"mixed bag today, didn't carry many back. Could have boosted numbers with a few Buzzfare pass holders and then taken a handful of cash fares at Boro and Peterlee, but I wasn't allowed. There was a few punters at Washington that had just missed the 4 to Heworth and the X1 to the town. The next buses weren't for another 30mins, but I didn't let them on".

Bonkers.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Site Administrator
(02 Apr 2021, 10:30 pm)Andreos1 wrote One thing I struggle to get my head around, is the lack of integration with the X9/10.

Bonkers.

What would be bonkers, is if this service is so popular, that passengers intending to travel towards Whitby and Scarborough are turned away because X9/X10 passengers are using it as a 'local' service and taking up a valuable seat. The trouble is that it's a huge unknown, and it's important not to forget that buses are currently restricted in capacity.

If the service was an all-day service, providing a combined 20-minute frequency headway with the existing X9 and X10 services, I would agree with you that there should be integration of tickets between the three services. That isn't the case, and in the same vein as the Explorer ticket not being valid, why should passengers with an existing bus service be prioritised over those wanting to use the new link?
RMF1254
Well said, Dan. I can’t believe all this negativity against GNE especially when they are trying new ideas with these new services. I guess if they did nothing people would also complain.
(03 Apr 2021, 9:41 am)Dan wrote What would be bonkers, is if this service is so popular, that passengers intending to travel towards Whitby and Scarborough are turned away because X9/X10 passengers are using it as a 'local' service and taking up a valuable seat. The trouble is that it's a huge unknown, and it's important not to forget that buses are currently restricted in capacity.

If the service was an all-day service, providing a combined 20-minute frequency headway with the existing X9 and X10 services, I would agree with you that there should be integration of tickets between the three services. That isn't the case, and in the same vein as the Explorer ticket not being valid, why should passengers with an existing bus service be prioritised over those wanting to use the new link?

I'm not sure if your finger slipped when you quoted the post or if you deliberately removed the main body of the post, which provided context and examples. 

Either way, I've added it to this reply.
Yes, those boarding the X11 can buy a ticket which will allow them travel on the X9/10, but it's not the case for those using the X9/10 and wanting to take advantage of the X11.

How does an ordinary punter standing in Middlesbrough differentiate between the three routes, particularly when they have the same brand-name, are operated by the same company, all go via Gateshead and terminate in Newcastle?
Never mind that the bus working the X11, may have been on the X9/10 earlier in the week as an allocated spare...

Surely it is about reducing barriers to public transport, making it attractive and not pi$$ing passengers off to the extent they use the train instead.

As an 'enthusiast', I understand the differences between the three routes. An ordinary punter, the very same punter who GNE want to attract - may not.
I'd certainly not want to be the driver of an X11 having to break the news to a queue of passengers in Middlesbrough or Peterlee - that their ticket isn't valid, they need to pay a premium or hang-around until the next X10 rocks up.
Even more so, if I then drive off with a half-empty bus, which has struggled to break even on that particular day.

"yes, I do go to Newcastle. Yes, I was driving the X9 just the other day. Yes, it does have the same brand name on the side as the X10. But no, you can't get on the bus unless you pay a premium, even though I'm half empty and there's plenty of seats left'.

*gets back to the depot and chats to colleagues in the canteen*

"mixed bag today, didn't carry many back. Could have boosted numbers with a few Buzzfare pass holders and then taken a handful of cash fares at Boro and Peterlee, but I wasn't allowed. There was a few punters at Washington that had just missed the 4 to Heworth and the X1 to the town. The next buses weren't for another 30mins, but I didn't let them on".

The idea for commercial operators is to make money. Not lower revenue and put barriers up so passengers can't use the service.

You mentioned rainy days earlier on in the thread and how that will impact on numbers travelling to/from Whitby and Scarborough.
I'm not sure the rain has any impact on those needing to make an evening journey north from Middlesbrough, Peterlee or Washington and I would have thought the opportunity to take those fares and increase revenue, was something a business looking to make money would do.

(03 Apr 2021, 9:53 am)RMF1254 wrote Well said, Dan. I can’t believe all this negativity against GNE especially when they are trying new ideas with these new services. I guess if they did nothing people would also complain.

I think you missed the point of the post.
I've been a long time advocate of new services and commercial teams coming up with something that hasn't existed in one guise or another since 1986 - or in some cases, even earlier. 

However, I'm also of the understanding the operators need to make money, attract passengers and not put barriers in place to potential passengers. I'm not sure the ticket restrictions on the X11 allow them to meet any of those criteria.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'