Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Operations, Management & Infrastructure Newcastle Clean Air Zone: services which need to be upgraded

Newcastle Clean Air Zone: services which need to be upgraded

Newcastle Clean Air Zone: services which need to be upgraded

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average

Pages (12) Previous 14 5 612 Next
Rob44

11 Sep 2021, 7:24 am #81
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...t-21537127

Looking at this article your going to have to be very unlucky to gat a "fine " for driving in the clean air zone with all the exceptions to the rule!
Rob44
11 Sep 2021, 7:24 am #81

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...t-21537127

Looking at this article your going to have to be very unlucky to gat a "fine " for driving in the clean air zone with all the exceptions to the rule!

Adrian

11 Sep 2021, 8:24 am #82
(11 Sep 2021, 7:24 am)Rob44 https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...t-21537127

Yup, watered down to the max.

The idea behind the scheme is good, but ultimately it has ended up whereby only buses, coaches and HGVs are held to the highest of standards. In a vein attempt to retain votes, Councillors opposed any inclusion of the private car, which I believe was in the initial proposal.

So you're basically fine to have a street congested with 15 year old diesel cars, but if a bus operator dares to send a Euro 5 bus in, they're slapped with a fine.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
11 Sep 2021, 8:24 am #82

(11 Sep 2021, 7:24 am)Rob44 https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...t-21537127

Yup, watered down to the max.

The idea behind the scheme is good, but ultimately it has ended up whereby only buses, coaches and HGVs are held to the highest of standards. In a vein attempt to retain votes, Councillors opposed any inclusion of the private car, which I believe was in the initial proposal.

So you're basically fine to have a street congested with 15 year old diesel cars, but if a bus operator dares to send a Euro 5 bus in, they're slapped with a fine.

L469 YVK

11 Sep 2021, 8:43 am #83
(03 Sep 2021, 8:26 am)streetdeckfan Well, if that's the case then I'd happily take one of the B5Hs over a Streetlite! They're so much nicer.

I hope they don't remove the hybrid system on any more of them as it's my favourite part of using them! I find it quite fun trying to guess when the diesel engine is going to kick in.This is why there needs to be less focus on the age of vehicles! If a 10 year old vehicle is more comfortable, reliable and of an equivalent or higher specification than a 4 year old vehicle, that would definitely be considered an upgrade!

Don't forget, even the likes of the New Routemaster are getting on for 10 years old now! I'm sure you wouldn't complain if you got a refurbished one of those!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
I'd happily take a Volvo Olympian Palatine II over most of the modern stuff haha!
L469 YVK
11 Sep 2021, 8:43 am #83

(03 Sep 2021, 8:26 am)streetdeckfan Well, if that's the case then I'd happily take one of the B5Hs over a Streetlite! They're so much nicer.

I hope they don't remove the hybrid system on any more of them as it's my favourite part of using them! I find it quite fun trying to guess when the diesel engine is going to kick in.This is why there needs to be less focus on the age of vehicles! If a 10 year old vehicle is more comfortable, reliable and of an equivalent or higher specification than a 4 year old vehicle, that would definitely be considered an upgrade!

Don't forget, even the likes of the New Routemaster are getting on for 10 years old now! I'm sure you wouldn't complain if you got a refurbished one of those!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
I'd happily take a Volvo Olympian Palatine II over most of the modern stuff haha!

L469 YVK

11 Sep 2021, 8:55 am #84
(02 Sep 2021, 10:45 pm)Adrian Consett to Newcastle has to main a strategic corridor for Newcastle, especially when they have an MP who believes in fantasy and the possibility of the Metro coming to Consett. The more GNE can do to prove that is not required and in fact they have a top class bus network, it can only benefit their business. I personally believe that a Consett to Newcastle direct rail link is complete pie in the sky, but if the end result would decimate the business in the area, I would not be taking any chances.
And this is the same argument I've been trying to get across for Arriva's Blyth & Ashington operations given what's happening up that way!

Okay, the fleet issues are another thing (some are good, some aren't good). But they could easily make simple improvements to the network.
L469 YVK
11 Sep 2021, 8:55 am #84

(02 Sep 2021, 10:45 pm)Adrian Consett to Newcastle has to main a strategic corridor for Newcastle, especially when they have an MP who believes in fantasy and the possibility of the Metro coming to Consett. The more GNE can do to prove that is not required and in fact they have a top class bus network, it can only benefit their business. I personally believe that a Consett to Newcastle direct rail link is complete pie in the sky, but if the end result would decimate the business in the area, I would not be taking any chances.
And this is the same argument I've been trying to get across for Arriva's Blyth & Ashington operations given what's happening up that way!

Okay, the fleet issues are another thing (some are good, some aren't good). But they could easily make simple improvements to the network.

Storx

11 Sep 2021, 11:11 am #85
(11 Sep 2021, 8:24 am)Adrian Yup, watered down to the max.

In fairness, the North East is the poorest region in the North East. Having a tax which mostly affects poor people who can't afford anything more expensive is extremely unfair. It's alright in somewhere like London as it has an expansive public transport whereas up here it's not

Most the highest emissions in Newcastle were in spots where cars can't even drive down anyway or there's very few of them like Percy Street so they're not the cause of the high emissions mostly in Newcastle.

https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/sites/defau...R_2020.pdf - Data here. For example the highest in Newcastle (excluding one on the Coast Road (DT81)) is DT65 which is Blackett Street / Old Eldon Sq and there's only one thing which can be blamed there and it's why they're getting the charge.
Storx
11 Sep 2021, 11:11 am #85

(11 Sep 2021, 8:24 am)Adrian Yup, watered down to the max.

In fairness, the North East is the poorest region in the North East. Having a tax which mostly affects poor people who can't afford anything more expensive is extremely unfair. It's alright in somewhere like London as it has an expansive public transport whereas up here it's not

Most the highest emissions in Newcastle were in spots where cars can't even drive down anyway or there's very few of them like Percy Street so they're not the cause of the high emissions mostly in Newcastle.

https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/sites/defau...R_2020.pdf - Data here. For example the highest in Newcastle (excluding one on the Coast Road (DT81)) is DT65 which is Blackett Street / Old Eldon Sq and there's only one thing which can be blamed there and it's why they're getting the charge.

Andreos1

11 Sep 2021, 11:16 am #86
(11 Sep 2021, 11:11 am)Storx In fairness, the North East is the poorest region in the North East. Having a tax which mostly affects poor people who can't afford anything more expensive is extremely unfair. It's alright in somewhere like London as it has an expansive public transport whereas up here it's not

I've made a similar point in the past.

For all the positives there may closing Blackett Street, its simply going to increase emissions elsewhere in the town.

Having buses shadow and follow each other to/from the same places or down route corridors can be managed by the operators. Probably a lot easier and efficient doing that, than reallocating and repainting buses to suit.
They may also realise that not everyone needs to be in the town, don't work in the town or lives in the town.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
11 Sep 2021, 11:16 am #86

(11 Sep 2021, 11:11 am)Storx In fairness, the North East is the poorest region in the North East. Having a tax which mostly affects poor people who can't afford anything more expensive is extremely unfair. It's alright in somewhere like London as it has an expansive public transport whereas up here it's not

I've made a similar point in the past.

For all the positives there may closing Blackett Street, its simply going to increase emissions elsewhere in the town.

Having buses shadow and follow each other to/from the same places or down route corridors can be managed by the operators. Probably a lot easier and efficient doing that, than reallocating and repainting buses to suit.
They may also realise that not everyone needs to be in the town, don't work in the town or lives in the town.

Storx

11 Sep 2021, 11:31 am #87
(11 Sep 2021, 11:16 am)Andreos1 I've made a similar point in the past.

Aye your right, the Market Street ones are close second. Mind it would help if we didn't have buses crossing the Tyne Bridge / Redheugh Bridge travelling to a bus stations at the North of the city surprisingly through the centre.

I know it's a big cost for the council by having a bus station at the South end of the city but having one around Pilgrim Street could make massive changes, you could even redirect some of the Stagecoach buses to serve the bus station and get straight out the city. There's no reason why the 1, 30, 31, 36, 62, 63 etc need to go anywhere near the centre where pedestrians are and could avoid it via the Central Motorway / Central Station.

Similar the emission savings that could be made having all the GNE Tyne Bridge services serving it would be massive. You'd pretty much have Market Street free of buses bar the Westgate Road services (and even those could go via John Dobson Street / Percy Street or the Central Station).
Storx
11 Sep 2021, 11:31 am #87

(11 Sep 2021, 11:16 am)Andreos1 I've made a similar point in the past.

Aye your right, the Market Street ones are close second. Mind it would help if we didn't have buses crossing the Tyne Bridge / Redheugh Bridge travelling to a bus stations at the North of the city surprisingly through the centre.

I know it's a big cost for the council by having a bus station at the South end of the city but having one around Pilgrim Street could make massive changes, you could even redirect some of the Stagecoach buses to serve the bus station and get straight out the city. There's no reason why the 1, 30, 31, 36, 62, 63 etc need to go anywhere near the centre where pedestrians are and could avoid it via the Central Motorway / Central Station.

Similar the emission savings that could be made having all the GNE Tyne Bridge services serving it would be massive. You'd pretty much have Market Street free of buses bar the Westgate Road services (and even those could go via John Dobson Street / Percy Street or the Central Station).

Rob44

11 Sep 2021, 12:09 pm #88
(11 Sep 2021, 11:31 am)Storx Aye your right, the Market Street ones are close second. Mind it would help if we didn't have buses crossing the Tyne Bridge / Redheugh Bridge travelling to a bus stations at the North of the city surprisingly through the centre.

Stage coach wont pay fees to use bus stations if pass example are to be used
Rob44
11 Sep 2021, 12:09 pm #88

(11 Sep 2021, 11:31 am)Storx Aye your right, the Market Street ones are close second. Mind it would help if we didn't have buses crossing the Tyne Bridge / Redheugh Bridge travelling to a bus stations at the North of the city surprisingly through the centre.

Stage coach wont pay fees to use bus stations if pass example are to be used

BusLoverMum

11 Sep 2021, 4:31 pm #89
"There's no reason why the 1, 30, 31, 36, 62, 63 etc need to go anywhere near the centre where pedestrians are and could avoid it via the Central Motorway / Central Station."

Because very few passengers are travelling the full route? People are catching them from their respective sides of the city to get in and out of the city centre. Saying these services don't need to stop in the city centre is like suggesting the X21 doesn't bother with Durham and Chester Le street.
BusLoverMum
11 Sep 2021, 4:31 pm #89

"There's no reason why the 1, 30, 31, 36, 62, 63 etc need to go anywhere near the centre where pedestrians are and could avoid it via the Central Motorway / Central Station."

Because very few passengers are travelling the full route? People are catching them from their respective sides of the city to get in and out of the city centre. Saying these services don't need to stop in the city centre is like suggesting the X21 doesn't bother with Durham and Chester Le street.

Storx

11 Sep 2021, 7:13 pm #90
(11 Sep 2021, 4:31 pm)BusLoverMum "There's no reason why the 1, 30, 31, 36, 62, 63 etc need to go anywhere near the centre where pedestrians are and could avoid it via the Central Motorway / Central Station."

I think you misread that. I meant them stopping at a bus station near Pilgrim Street basically around Worswick Street or Stack to serve the city centre then going around it rather than through the centre.

Meant the centre as the following:
Market Street
Blackett Street
Clayton Street
Grainger Street
Newgate Street

There's way too many buses on all of them and it's where the public are rather than down Mosley Street or Percy Street where there's fewer people around so the pollution isn't as harmful.

Apart from Woodhouse (think it's the name) there's no buses anywhere near the centre in Leeds where people are and it's the same in most cities.
Storx
11 Sep 2021, 7:13 pm #90

(11 Sep 2021, 4:31 pm)BusLoverMum "There's no reason why the 1, 30, 31, 36, 62, 63 etc need to go anywhere near the centre where pedestrians are and could avoid it via the Central Motorway / Central Station."

I think you misread that. I meant them stopping at a bus station near Pilgrim Street basically around Worswick Street or Stack to serve the city centre then going around it rather than through the centre.

Market Street
Blackett Street
Clayton Street
Grainger Street
Newgate Street

There's way too many buses on all of them and it's where the public are rather than down Mosley Street or Percy Street where there's fewer people around so the pollution isn't as harmful.

Apart from Woodhouse (think it's the name) there's no buses anywhere near the centre in Leeds where people are and it's the same in most cities.

11 Sep 2021, 10:02 pm #91
(11 Sep 2021, 7:13 pm)Storx I think you misread that. I meant them stopping at a bus station near Pilgrim Street basically around Worswick Street or Stack to serve the city centre then going around it rather than through the centre.

Market Street
Blackett Street
Clayton Street
Grainger Street
Newgate Street

I think the point is, as you've said above, people want to be in the places you are suggesting "there's no reason" buses need to go near.  Buses exist to take people where they want/need to be...
stagecoachbusdepot
11 Sep 2021, 10:02 pm #91

(11 Sep 2021, 7:13 pm)Storx I think you misread that. I meant them stopping at a bus station near Pilgrim Street basically around Worswick Street or Stack to serve the city centre then going around it rather than through the centre.

Market Street
Blackett Street
Clayton Street
Grainger Street
Newgate Street

I think the point is, as you've said above, people want to be in the places you are suggesting "there's no reason" buses need to go near.  Buses exist to take people where they want/need to be...

Adrian

11 Sep 2021, 10:13 pm #92

I have sympathy for low earners that would be penalised by the AQMA scheme including private cars, but likewise this could penalise public transport users, when fares inevitably go up post-pandemic and we're reminded that it's due to X investment in vehicles, in order to meet the AQMA rules. 

Cars alone aren't the cause of congestion, but they do play a big part in it. Our roads and City Centres just aren't designed for the volumes of traffic they're now taking, and there needs to be a point where you try and flatten the trend.

Your observation about Blackett Street is a good one, and certainly there's been plenty of times I've seen congestion caused by a bus parked up with its back end hanging out, but just because there's very few cars on Percy Street and none at all on Blackett Street, doesn't mean that buses aren't getting stuck in traffic congestion elsewhere, causing them to run late and inevitably start grouping at stops. Of course, overprovision is also a big factor in this and I agree what Andreos1 has said. I'd like to see operators design networks that don't involve *everything* passing through or terminating in the City Centre. Its excessive, unnecessary and quite frankly part of the problem. It's also something that is intended to be tackled by BSIPs, so hopefully an opportunity to sort that out.

Buses and the Metro aren't perfect, there's barriers to people using them and there's a lot more work to do to encourage people to switch. Drivers need to see it as a realistic (and inexpensive) option to park just outside of the City Centre, then complete their journey by bus or Metro. It works well in Durham, because the P&R cost compared to parking makes it a no-brainer. 

Pollution and air quality remains a very real problem that needs tackling, and IMO not one that you can do selectively. Otherwise we end up in a position where we keep shrugging our shoulders and hoping that it'll deal with itself further down the line.

Adrian
11 Sep 2021, 10:13 pm #92

I have sympathy for low earners that would be penalised by the AQMA scheme including private cars, but likewise this could penalise public transport users, when fares inevitably go up post-pandemic and we're reminded that it's due to X investment in vehicles, in order to meet the AQMA rules. 

Cars alone aren't the cause of congestion, but they do play a big part in it. Our roads and City Centres just aren't designed for the volumes of traffic they're now taking, and there needs to be a point where you try and flatten the trend.

Your observation about Blackett Street is a good one, and certainly there's been plenty of times I've seen congestion caused by a bus parked up with its back end hanging out, but just because there's very few cars on Percy Street and none at all on Blackett Street, doesn't mean that buses aren't getting stuck in traffic congestion elsewhere, causing them to run late and inevitably start grouping at stops. Of course, overprovision is also a big factor in this and I agree what Andreos1 has said. I'd like to see operators design networks that don't involve *everything* passing through or terminating in the City Centre. Its excessive, unnecessary and quite frankly part of the problem. It's also something that is intended to be tackled by BSIPs, so hopefully an opportunity to sort that out.

Buses and the Metro aren't perfect, there's barriers to people using them and there's a lot more work to do to encourage people to switch. Drivers need to see it as a realistic (and inexpensive) option to park just outside of the City Centre, then complete their journey by bus or Metro. It works well in Durham, because the P&R cost compared to parking makes it a no-brainer. 

Pollution and air quality remains a very real problem that needs tackling, and IMO not one that you can do selectively. Otherwise we end up in a position where we keep shrugging our shoulders and hoping that it'll deal with itself further down the line.

Storx

12 Sep 2021, 6:30 am #93
(11 Sep 2021, 10:13 pm)Adrian I have sympathy for low earners that would be penalised by the AQMA scheme including private cars, but likewise this could penalise public transport users, when fares inevitably go up post-pandemic and we're reminded that it's due to X investment in vehicles, in order to meet the AQMA rules. 

You make some good points there in fairness especially about buses grouping together because of traffic elsewhere.

Maybe one idea though could be to introduce an ULEZ though like London which is only inside of the A167(M), the current borders at the top left and then St James Boulevard on the West side. At least then for those who are genuinely poor and it's all they've got, who maybe live in let's say Byker could still get to work somewhere where buses barely serve by allowing them to still use the Tyne and Redheugh Bridges which are arguably strategic routes aswell. Obviously you could go down the Friars Goose Crossing either but that's just fantasy land in the current climate (mind Sunderland managed to build a new bridge so it's not impossible). I do agree about that journeys into the city should be promoted to use other methods though. 

I'd probably then be tempted to go further and extend the LEZ to cover Gosforth High Street, Gateshead Town Centre, The Coast Road, Killingworth Road / Matthew Bank and Low Fell. There's not really any reason why once Newcastle is done why heavy HGV's should be going through there and most other vehicles will already be done anyway unless they plan to not serve Newcastle which is a problem for taxis and work vehicles. Believe all the buses serving them are done already, could be wrong though. (GNE's 69?)
Storx
12 Sep 2021, 6:30 am #93

(11 Sep 2021, 10:13 pm)Adrian I have sympathy for low earners that would be penalised by the AQMA scheme including private cars, but likewise this could penalise public transport users, when fares inevitably go up post-pandemic and we're reminded that it's due to X investment in vehicles, in order to meet the AQMA rules. 

You make some good points there in fairness especially about buses grouping together because of traffic elsewhere.

Maybe one idea though could be to introduce an ULEZ though like London which is only inside of the A167(M), the current borders at the top left and then St James Boulevard on the West side. At least then for those who are genuinely poor and it's all they've got, who maybe live in let's say Byker could still get to work somewhere where buses barely serve by allowing them to still use the Tyne and Redheugh Bridges which are arguably strategic routes aswell. Obviously you could go down the Friars Goose Crossing either but that's just fantasy land in the current climate (mind Sunderland managed to build a new bridge so it's not impossible). I do agree about that journeys into the city should be promoted to use other methods though. 

I'd probably then be tempted to go further and extend the LEZ to cover Gosforth High Street, Gateshead Town Centre, The Coast Road, Killingworth Road / Matthew Bank and Low Fell. There's not really any reason why once Newcastle is done why heavy HGV's should be going through there and most other vehicles will already be done anyway unless they plan to not serve Newcastle which is a problem for taxis and work vehicles. Believe all the buses serving them are done already, could be wrong though. (GNE's 69?)

IRHardy

12 Sep 2021, 8:02 am #94
Before 1986 this was not such a problem as the cross Tyne routes didn't, as they terminated at Gateshead Interchange and everyone was forced to use the Metro to get into Newcastle City Centre.
IRHardy
12 Sep 2021, 8:02 am #94

Before 1986 this was not such a problem as the cross Tyne routes didn't, as they terminated at Gateshead Interchange and everyone was forced to use the Metro to get into Newcastle City Centre.

ne14ne1

12 Sep 2021, 8:19 am #95
(12 Sep 2021, 8:02 am)IRHardy Before 1986 this was not such a problem as the cross Tyne routes didn't, as they terminated at Gateshead Interchange and everyone was forced to use the Metro to get into Newcastle City Centre.

Correct, if only we still had one local authority covering the entire region, and only the one transport body.

For anyone who hasn’t watched ‘Metro - the way ahead’ it’s really interesting to see how revolutionary Metro was for the area along with all the associated changes to the bus network at the time. Such a shame we lost the regulation and integration we once had.

ne14ne1
12 Sep 2021, 8:19 am #95

(12 Sep 2021, 8:02 am)IRHardy Before 1986 this was not such a problem as the cross Tyne routes didn't, as they terminated at Gateshead Interchange and everyone was forced to use the Metro to get into Newcastle City Centre.

Correct, if only we still had one local authority covering the entire region, and only the one transport body.

For anyone who hasn’t watched ‘Metro - the way ahead’ it’s really interesting to see how revolutionary Metro was for the area along with all the associated changes to the bus network at the time. Such a shame we lost the regulation and integration we once had.

Train8261

27 Sep 2021, 9:34 am #96
Buses set to get top priority on three of Newcastle's busiest roads under plan to cut pollution

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...e=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

3 major roads set to change for buses
Train8261
27 Sep 2021, 9:34 am #96

Buses set to get top priority on three of Newcastle's busiest roads under plan to cut pollution

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...e=linkCopy&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=sharebar

ne14ne1

27 Sep 2021, 7:42 pm #97
(27 Sep 2021, 9:34 am)Train8261 Buses set to get top priority on three of Newcastle's busiest roads under plan to cut pollution

Excellent news, looking forward to seeing the detail.
ne14ne1
27 Sep 2021, 7:42 pm #97

(27 Sep 2021, 9:34 am)Train8261 Buses set to get top priority on three of Newcastle's busiest roads under plan to cut pollution

Excellent news, looking forward to seeing the detail.

27 Sep 2021, 9:33 pm #98

Way to increase pollution...have a virtually unchanged number of cars queuing in one lane with an empty bus lane.  For the extent to which bus lanes speed up bus journeys, I would be amazed if they tempted more than a handful of people out of their cars.  And to have a meaningful or even break even impact on pollution, surely they would need to tempt out enough people to warrant markedly more buses to run...for which there are neither the vehicles, nor the drivers. So said vehicles would just be fuller and even less appealing. Having buses slightly more quickly still take you to where you dont exactly want to go, at a time that still isn't really that convenient, possibly to then need to change to another bus to complete the journey, isn't going to change behaviour. "Deterring motorists" just deters them to an alternative route, or to an alternative destination if they have a choice.
stagecoachbusdepot
27 Sep 2021, 9:33 pm #98

Way to increase pollution...have a virtually unchanged number of cars queuing in one lane with an empty bus lane.  For the extent to which bus lanes speed up bus journeys, I would be amazed if they tempted more than a handful of people out of their cars.  And to have a meaningful or even break even impact on pollution, surely they would need to tempt out enough people to warrant markedly more buses to run...for which there are neither the vehicles, nor the drivers. So said vehicles would just be fuller and even less appealing. Having buses slightly more quickly still take you to where you dont exactly want to go, at a time that still isn't really that convenient, possibly to then need to change to another bus to complete the journey, isn't going to change behaviour. "Deterring motorists" just deters them to an alternative route, or to an alternative destination if they have a choice.

Andreos1

27 Sep 2021, 10:25 pm #99
(27 Sep 2021, 9:33 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Way to increase pollution...have a virtually unchanged number of cars queuing in one lane with an empty bus lane.  For the extent to which bus lanes speed up bus journeys, I would be amazed if they tempted more than a handful of people out of their cars.  And to have a meaningful or even break even impact on pollution, surely they would need to tempt out enough people to warrant markedly more buses to run...for which there are neither the vehicles, nor the drivers.  So said vehicles would just be fuller and even less appealing.  Having buses slightly more quickly still take you to where you dont exactly want to go, at a time that still isn't really that convenient, possibly to then need to change to another bus to complete the journey, isn't going to change behaviour.  "Deterring motorists" just deters them to an alternative route, or to an alternative destination if they have a choice. 

This.

Made similar points in the past. 
Except, more bus lanes and priority measures.
Not buses operating to the places people want to travel to and from.

Andreos1
27 Sep 2021, 10:25 pm #99

(27 Sep 2021, 9:33 pm)stagecoachbusdepot Way to increase pollution...have a virtually unchanged number of cars queuing in one lane with an empty bus lane.  For the extent to which bus lanes speed up bus journeys, I would be amazed if they tempted more than a handful of people out of their cars.  And to have a meaningful or even break even impact on pollution, surely they would need to tempt out enough people to warrant markedly more buses to run...for which there are neither the vehicles, nor the drivers.  So said vehicles would just be fuller and even less appealing.  Having buses slightly more quickly still take you to where you dont exactly want to go, at a time that still isn't really that convenient, possibly to then need to change to another bus to complete the journey, isn't going to change behaviour.  "Deterring motorists" just deters them to an alternative route, or to an alternative destination if they have a choice. 

This.

Made similar points in the past. 
Except, more bus lanes and priority measures.
Not buses operating to the places people want to travel to and from.

ne14ne1

28 Sep 2021, 9:15 am #100
The majority of bus users living on those three main corridors are riding into the city centre for work or leisure, because it’s cheaper and easier than taking their car into town - or more likely because they don’t owner a car, (Newcastle has a higher percentage of non-car owners than other areas).

You’re never going to persuade all of people shown in the image linked below who are sat in their private metal boxes to switch to public transport. They are contributing to congestion and pollution and delaying public transport further.

https://twitter.com/nelivetraffic/status...75050?s=21

Car is no longer king in cities and it’s about time public transport was prioritised. If you don’t try to improve public transport & make it a more attractive option then you risk losing current patronage, when the aim is to increase it.
ne14ne1
28 Sep 2021, 9:15 am #100

The majority of bus users living on those three main corridors are riding into the city centre for work or leisure, because it’s cheaper and easier than taking their car into town - or more likely because they don’t owner a car, (Newcastle has a higher percentage of non-car owners than other areas).

You’re never going to persuade all of people shown in the image linked below who are sat in their private metal boxes to switch to public transport. They are contributing to congestion and pollution and delaying public transport further.

https://twitter.com/nelivetraffic/status...75050?s=21

Car is no longer king in cities and it’s about time public transport was prioritised. If you don’t try to improve public transport & make it a more attractive option then you risk losing current patronage, when the aim is to increase it.

Pages (12) Previous 14 5 612 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average