You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Transfer of Wright Streetlites to Washington for services 26 and 50

RE: Fleet Changes
(07 Dec 2021, 11:12 am)N1cholas wrote 5413 and 5414 are the first 2 streetlites to be brought into action on the 50/26 from today replacing the omnicitys currently used
So not for the 49 now?
(07 Dec 2021, 11:12 am)N1cholas wrote 5413 and 5414 are the first 2 streetlites to be brought into action on the 50/26 from today replacing the omnicitys currently used
Why is nearly every single route now Streetlites

That's a surprise

Are the Omnicities moving elsewhere in the fleet as they're Euro 6?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(07 Dec 2021, 8:15 pm)Michael wrote That's a surprise

Are the Omnicities moving elsewhere in the fleet as they're Euro 6?
No, South Tyneside Council Paid for the Omnicitys to become Euro 6, so they wont be moving until withdrawel
(07 Dec 2021, 8:16 pm)KingSlayerRBLX wrote No, South Tyneside Council Paid for the Omnicitys to become Euro 6, so they wont be moving until withdrawel

Why has 2 Streetlites been allocated?, seems odd when the Omnicities still need to be allocated.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(07 Dec 2021, 8:18 pm)Michael wrote Why has 2 Streetlites been allocated?, seems odd when the Omnicities still need to be allocated.
I believe the Streetlites will be the ones to takeover after the Omnicitys leave, so i guess just to see how they perform and just if people like them.
Site Administrator
(07 Dec 2021, 8:11 pm)KingSlayerRBLX wrote I Guess since CountryRanger now has 2 Buses done and nearly a third.
I guess the Prince Bishops will be the next one in line to get its branding done up.
that would mean all buses in the South Shields region except the 50 have had either new buses or new updated brands.

Not related to the Prince Bishops, but picking up on your comment about the 50 not having new buses or an updated brand, the service is currently being upgraded from OmniCitys new in 2007 to Streetlites which are 8 years younger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RE: Repainting of the Prince Bishops
(07 Dec 2021, 8:57 pm)Dan wrote Not related to the Prince Bishops, but picking up on your comment about the 50 not having new buses or an updated brand, the service is currently being upgraded from OmniCitys new in 2007 to Streetlites which are 8 years younger.

Thank you for clarifying.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(07 Dec 2021, 8:57 pm)Dan wrote Not related to the Prince Bishops, but picking up on your comment about the 50 not having new buses or an updated brand, the service is currently being upgraded from OmniCitys new in 2007 to Streetlites which are 8 years younger.

A new brand for them?
Actually I believe it's allowed if GNE replaced the Omnicities with another vehicle providing the euro rating of said vehicle is equal or higher than said Omnicities. Though said Streetlites mentioned are Euro 5 unless they have been modified.
Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Dear god, someone said Streetlite and upgrade in the same sentence and didn’t mean from a Streetlite!
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(07 Dec 2021, 11:29 pm)Ambassador wrote Dear god, someone said Streetlite and upgrade in the same sentence and didn’t mean from a Streetlite!
If you weren't having a bad day. 

You have to spare a thought for the Riverside Drivers, nice for Deptford to get rid of them. Tbf I would take a Versa over any streetllite bar the Ex-Black Cats. Granted there isn't much I would pick a streetlite over
(07 Dec 2021, 11:32 pm)Keeiajs wrote If you weren't having a bad day. 

You have to spare a thought for the Riverside Drivers, nice for Deptford to get rid of them. Tbf I would take a Versa over any streetllite bar the Ex-Black Cats. Granted there isn't much I would pick a streetlite over
Streetlites are fine for most loads on the 50, and it doesn't take much for something to be an upgrade from those Scanias!

The only problematic runs will be the AM ones that are crammed with Durham Sixth form and New College students from Washington. The narrow design of the Streetlite makes standees a problem further back.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Site Administrator
Repainting of the Prince Bishops
(08 Dec 2021, 12:00 am)Adrian wrote Streetlites are fine for most loads on the 50, and it doesn't take much for something to be an upgrade from those Scanias!

The only problematic runs will be the AM ones that are crammed with Durham Sixth form and New College students from Washington. The narrow design of the Streetlite makes standees a problem further back.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

I’d imagine the gradual replacement of the Streetlites with StreetDecks on boards which have large loadings will be planned - indeed one has been converted already for a busy PM trip from Durham.

If nothing else over the last 12 months, Go North East has adapted their vehicle allocation to match demand. Single-deck services have been converted to double-deck in the main, but there have also been services downsized from single-deck to minibus.

(07 Dec 2021, 11:27 pm)Rapidsnap wrote Actually I believe it's allowed if GNE replaced the Omnicities with another vehicle providing the euro rating of said vehicle is equal or higher than said Omnicities. Though said Streetlites mentioned are Euro 5 unless they have been modified.

Might be a certain number of ones that need to be Euro 6, might not be all of them. Can get away with it if they put on enough Streetdecks perhaps?
(08 Dec 2021, 5:58 am)Dan wrote I’d imagine the gradual replacement of the Streetlites with StreetDecks on boards which have large loadings will be planned - indeed one has been converted already for a busy PM trip from Durham.

If nothing else over the last 12 months, Go North East has adapted their vehicle allocation to match demand. Single-deck services have been converted to double-deck in the main, but there have also been services downsized from single-deck to minibus.

The Streetdecks would have to be for the summer, I have had moments in the summer where the 50 can get really busy to the point it is full by Concord
(07 Dec 2021, 11:29 pm)Ambassador wrote Dear god, someone said Streetlite and upgrade in the same sentence and didn’t mean from a Streetlite!

Can't wait till they end up on a peak-time 4 off Heworth... 
At least the cavernous Omni's don't have that claustrophobic feeling about them.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(08 Dec 2021, 5:58 am)Dan wrote I’d imagine the gradual replacement of the Streetlites with StreetDecks on boards which have large loadings will be planned - indeed one has been converted already for a busy PM trip from Durham. 

Gives the depot the perfect opportunity to take a Merc off the road for some remedial work and swap a spare Streetlite on to a peak board off Heworth or alongside the schools?
*flashbacks to when they stuck Darts on the 194*

As I mentioned above, the Omni's don't have that same claustrophobic feel and when one ended up on a 4, it wasn't too much a spacial downgrade from a Merc.
(08 Dec 2021, 8:41 am)Andreos1 wrote Gives the depot the perfect opportunity to take a Merc off the road for some remedial work and swap a spare Streetlite on to a peak board off Heworth or alongside the schools?

As I mentioned above, the Omni's don't have that same claustrophobic feel and when one ended up on a 4, it wasn't too much a spacial downgrade from a Merc.
See, I personally find the Streetlite feels a lot more airey than an Omnicity, they feel more open despite being narrower. I think it's because it's a lot brighter inside, and they either are, or feel taller

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
(08 Dec 2021, 9:03 am)streetdeckfan wrote See, I personally find the Streetlite feels a lot more airey than an Omnicity, they feel more open despite being narrower. I think it's because it's a lot brighter inside, and they either are, or feel taller

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk

But the noise of that diesel engine in the countryside! Big Grin
Site Administrator
RE: Transfer of Wright Streetlites to Washington for services 26 and 50
Moderation note: The two threads in which the transfer of Wright Streetlites to Washington are being discussed have been merged into one separate thread.
Site Administrator
(08 Dec 2021, 7:53 am)KingSlayerRBLX wrote Another 2 Streetlites have joined the 26 & 50
Now 4 lites are doing the Omnicity services

5413, 5414, 5417 and 5418 are the Streetlites which have transferred to Washington so far.

5254 and 5257 are both now at Riverside.
(08 Dec 2021, 11:12 am)Dan wrote 5413, 5414, 5417 and 5418 are the Streetlites which have transferred to Washington so far.

5254 and 5257 are both now at Riverside.
Can I take a guess these are for the 49/49A service

It's good to see that is happening now with the 50, and I had noticed some deckers without taking much notice to their boards. 

I notice the peak extra short (07.40 from the Galleries) now seems to be a decker allocation, whereas it's regularly ran with a Versa in the past. I'd say it's worth further looking into options with that, such as starting it from Concord and running as an express, serving normal 50 stops until Ayton and then non-stop before using every stop between Pity Me and Durham, as per the X21 route, rather than the Old Pit Lane/Finchale Rd route. As I say, when I've used that run, it's always been full of Durham Sixth Form and New College students from Washington, so not sure what the point is of sending an already full bus around a lengthy route. Having a quicker option that's well publicised and works with start times, would probably be enough for students to wait for that one. 

(08 Dec 2021, 8:41 am)Andreos1 wrote Gives the depot the perfect opportunity to take a Merc off the road for some remedial work and swap a spare Streetlite on to a peak board off Heworth or alongside the schools?

Similarly to the student 50s, it'll be the Amazon shift times or school start/finish times that will be problematic having Streetlites on there, but I know the duplicates (Heworth to Follingsby shorts) have been ran by deckers.

I don't think Washington have a spare Citaro anymore. 5292 spent a couple days there last week, but looks to have been temporary as it's back at Deptford now.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Caught one of the streetlights on the 50, this morning. Lingering smell of badly cleaned up puke on it.

Refreshing to have NSA's, though, even if Emma mispronounced Finchale.
(08 Dec 2021, 5:52 pm)BusLoverMum wrote Caught one of the streetlights on the 50, this morning. Lingering smell of badly cleaned up puke on it.

Refreshing to have NSA's, though, even if Emma mispronounced Finchale.

Was probably remnants of it's life on the night bus at Deptford.