You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

A-Line
Wright Eclipse Urban SN58 BYP appears to be in use by this operator. Saw it today on scholars service 151 which is usually the haunt of the 14-reg Versas. It is still in full Lothian livery with fleetnames removed and was originally fleetnumber 163 with Lothian.
RE: A-Line
(16 Nov 2020, 8:33 pm)N391OTY wrote Wright Eclipse Urban SN58 BYP appears to be in use by this operator. Saw it today on scholars service 151 which is usually the haunt of the 14-reg Versas. It is still in full Lothian livery with fleetnames removed and was originally fleetnumber 163 with Lothian.

Fleet no. for it is 255.
The Versa which was on the 968 tonight. 
Never really noticed it before. But wow! Seemed to have plenty of power behind it and the seats are quite quirky too.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(17 Nov 2020, 6:22 pm)Andreos1 wrote The Versa which was on the 968 tonight. 
Never really noticed it before. But wow! Seemed to have plenty of power behind it and the seats are quite quirky too.
They have two, YJ14BHN & BHO. Both with belted seats.

YJ14BHO: https://flic.kr/p/2j6KBDQ

Sent from my SM-A715F using Tapatalk
Site Administrator
(17 Nov 2020, 6:12 pm)pbjd wrote Fleet no. for it is 255.

Should be 258, surely? Isn't the A-Line fleet numbering series meant to be so that the two last digits follow the registration mark on the bus?
(18 Nov 2020, 7:20 am)Dan wrote Should be 258, surely? Isn't the A-Line fleet numbering series meant to be so that the two last digits follow the registration mark on the bus?

I believe they have already had a 258 so gone with 255
(18 Nov 2020, 10:57 am)Andreos1 wrote Cheers. No idea which one was on the 968, but will be keeping an eye out.

Most likely will have be BHN on the 968, BHO usually on on 92 or other work, and is also slow compared to BHN.
Followed 254 (ex GNE 5201) last night as it worked the 968.
I was never a fan of the Solars - particularly as they got older, but wanted to follow it and hear what this one sounded like.
I'd not planned on following it, I just happened to come across it when heading from A-B.

I ended up quite disappointed. There was no ropey sounds, not much squealing and very little vibration. 
Certainly not from where I was anyway and I'd put the car windows down. 

I was curious to see what numbers on it were like these days, particularly on a well-established service like the 968 and it being in the middle of a pandemic. 
It didn't stop at all between Houghton (where I found it) and Hetton. It switched to NIS at Hetton and missed out the interchange. At this point I thought it was empty and it was going to run short, maybe heading back to the depot or wherever its next run was from. It carried on to Four Lane Ends and in to Easington Lane. Two or three people got off at the terminus opposite the clock. 

Might have to give it a ride once this pandemic is all over and the weather is a bit drier. Just for old times sake and to see what it rides like as a passenger.
Saw black decker PJ02 PZL, with A-Line in the destination display, passing Manors today. It was previously Go North East 3983 and still has a few footballs on the otherwise plain black livery from its Soccerbus days.
(27 May 2021, 9:28 pm)N391OTY wrote Saw black decker PJ02 PZL, with A-Line in the destination display, passing Manors today. It was previously Go North East 3983 and still has a few footballs on the otherwise plain black livery from its Soccerbus days.
W177 SCU decker is also listed on bustimes with A-Line
(28 May 2021, 8:13 am)Micheal Aaron wrote W177 SCU is owned by A Line. I think the black decker is on Loan or maybe it is owned

Sold for preservation, according to GNE's fleet archive.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(03 Jul 2021, 10:02 am)Micheal Aaron wrote It's good to see other companies helping out others

Ye it is!, hopefully everything back to normal soon.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(23 Nov 2021, 12:36 am)N391OTY wrote GNE 7111, the one in OK livery, was working for A-Line on school service 151 yesterday afternoon.
On Loan to A Line due to there fleet needing work done. Also have two GNE Citaros + X922 WGR
(27 Dec 2021, 2:31 am)OrangeArrow49 wrote Service suggestion

New hourly service from Kingston Park to Rowlands Gill, via Westerhope, Slatyford, Whickham View, Blaydon, and Winlaton Mill.

Is the 941 good for getting to Blaydon?
941 by A Line doesn't go to Blaydon
(27 Dec 2021, 8:05 am)omnicity4659 wrote If you're fine with walking 20-25 minutes along the Chain Bridge Road then yeah.

Oh, I like a nice walk. The 941 (AM) and 792 (PM) offer the most direct link to Blaydon from the West End of Newcastle (Denton Burn/Whickham View/Fenham/Slatyford/Cowgate/Blakelaw). It's a genuine shame there isn't a regular service running this route as it shows Blaydon is actually quite local and yet requires a bus into Newcastle and then anther bus out. Stagecoach could operate a service as they do serve Metrocentre, but I think GNE or A-line would be the best operator and could run to somewhere like Rowlands Gill or Consett maybe, from as far as Kingston Park or Regent Centre maybe. Direct links should be offered to nearby places rather than always having to go into Newcastle for another bus. 792 to Benton also bypasses the city centre, although just a short walk along Great North Road, and provides a quick and reliable link. Works services are great and far better than ordinary public services.
(27 Dec 2021, 1:58 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote Oh, I like a nice walk. The 941 (AM) and 792 (PM) offer the most direct link to Blaydon from the West End of Newcastle (Denton Burn/Whickham View/Fenham/Slatyford/Cowgate/Blakelaw). It's a genuine shame there isn't a regular service running this route as it shows Blaydon is actually quite local and yet requires a bus into Newcastle and then anther bus out. Stagecoach could operate a service as they do serve Metrocentre, but I think GNE or A-line would be the best operator and could run to somewhere like Rowlands Gill or Consett maybe, from as far as Kingston Park or Regent Centre maybe. Direct links should be offered to nearby places rather than always having to go into Newcastle for another bus. 792 to Benton also bypasses the city centre, although just a short walk along Great North Road, and provides a quick and reliable link. Works services are great and far better than ordinary public services.

That's hub and spoke for you.
It doesn't seem to work for anyone but the operators, but they insist on continuing with it. 

The inconvenience of hub and spoke, is one of the reasons (imo) we see people making the switch to the car when they get a chance. 
Of course, there are others, but when you think that the hub and spoke model is an internal factor to the operators and one they can change, then it makes you wonder why they don't...
(27 Dec 2021, 2:13 pm)Andreos1 wrote That's hub and spoke for you.
It doesn't seem to work for anyone but the operators, but they insist on continuing with it. 

The inconvenience of hub and spoke, is one of the reasons (imo) we see people making the switch to the car when they get a chance. 
Of course, there are others, but when you think that the hub and spoke model is an internal factor to the operators and one they can change, then it makes you wonder why they don't...

Hub and spoke makes sense in some cases, the city centre is the centre and is therefore naturally a hub. Many services need to pass through, such as for Byker/Walker/Wallsend and onto Cobalt and Killingworth. Equally buses need to serve all of the different areas, terminating in the city centre. However Blaydon not having a service is an odd thing as the 6/7/8 all serve Scotswood Road and the 6 and 7 continue to Metrocentre, Stagecoach and GNE both serving Metrocentre and Scotswood Road and I only realised from the 792 and 941 that Blaydon is quite close to Cowgate, Fenham, Denton Burn etc and could be reached from West Denton or Westerhope perhaps. There obviously mustn't be the demand, but it's a real shame as Westerhope is quickly reached from as far away as South Shields and Hexham, but only the 74 utilises the link.

I would love to see West Newcastle linked to Gateshead and this could be a good opportunity for A-line and GNE to expand and enter new territory. Henry Cooper should run a service from Kingston Park into North Tyneside, maybe Wallsend or Tynemouth, via Fenham.