You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Nexus Tenders | Newcastle & North Tyneside - March 2022

Nexus Tenders | Newcastle & North Tyneside - March 2022

RE: Nexus Tenders | Newcastle & North Tyneside - March 2022
(20 Feb 2022, 8:59 pm)V514DFT wrote GNE used to run a 335 and 336,then Arriva had the 337

Cant stand GCT,slapdash shoddy half arsed attempts at services that are a lucky dip as to if they turn up or not,lucky i have the 22 to fall back on,by the sounds of it theres no service around Howdon

Aye remember the 337 from Wallsend to Whitley Bay. Used to be a pain as it came exactly the same time as the 10 (I think it was then) usually with a broken display light so you wouldn't have a clue whether it was the right bus or not. Can't remember the 335/336 though tbh.

There's the 317 doing Howdon though ran by Stagecoach  (if the tender goes through).
(20 Feb 2022, 9:22 pm)Storx wrote Aye remember the 337 from Wallsend to Whitley Bay. Used to be a pain as it came exactly the same time as the 10 (I think it was then) usually with a broken display light so you wouldn't have a clue whether it was the right bus or not. Can't remember the 335/336 though tbh.

There's the 317 doing Howdon though ran by Stagecoach  (if the tender goes through).

I know it's speculation, but are we likely to see any changes during this 'cooling off' period such as services being taken on commercially? The 22 going to Whitley Bay sounds like a mistake, perhaps Newcastle to Whitley Bay and then a separate route to and from Throckley.
(20 Feb 2022, 10:00 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote I know it's speculation, but are we likely to see any changes during this 'cooling off' period such as services being taken on commercially? The 22 going to Whitley Bay sounds like a mistake, perhaps Newcastle to Whitley Bay and then a separate route to and from Throckley.

Don't have a clue tbh. I'd just be wild guessing really but doubt it though since GNE were already planning for the drivers moving work around as someone mentioned.

The 22 is just a speculation though, there's nothing concrete and tbh I don't think it will happen either. Maybe someone heard they were bidding for the 317 tender and chinese whispers has turned it into the 22. Have to see though.
(20 Feb 2022, 9:22 pm)Storx wrote Aye remember the 337 from Wallsend to Whitley Bay. Used to be a pain as it came exactly the same time as the 10 (I think it was then) usually with a broken display light so you wouldn't have a clue whether it was the right bus or not. Can't remember the 335/336 though tbh.

I know it's speculation, but are we likely to see any changes during this 'cooling off' period such as services being taken on commercially? The 22 going to Whitley Bay sounds like a mistake, perhaps Newcastle to Whitley Bay and then a separate route to and from Throckley.
(20 Feb 2022, 10:00 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote I know it's speculation, but are we likely to see any changes during this 'cooling off' period such as services being taken on commercially? The 22 going to Whitley Bay sounds like a mistake, perhaps Newcastle to Whitley Bay and then a separate route to and from Throckley.
I'd hazard a guess that some of these services suddenly become financially viable and the daytime operator decides to keep them going forward.

However this whole Whitley Bay rumour and extension to Hillheads Estate. There's one over Westerhope. Could it be that Hillheads Estate the 22 is going to and not Whitley Bay? Especially when the 71 has been mentioned in these changes as only running between Westerhope and the town. Severing any connections beyond there.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(20 Feb 2022, 10:21 pm)OrangeArrow49 wrote I know it's speculation, but are we likely to see any changes during this 'cooling off' period such as services being taken on commercially? The 22 going to Whitley Bay sounds like a mistake, perhaps Newcastle to Whitley Bay and then a separate route to and from Throckley.

(20 Feb 2022, 11:18 pm)Andreos1 wrote I'd hazard a guess that some of these services suddenly become financially viable and the daytime operator decides to keep them going forward.

However this whole Whitley Bay rumour and extension to Hillheads Estate. There's one over Westerhope. Could it be that Hillheads Estate the 22 is going to and not Whitley Bay? Especially when the 71 has been mentioned in these changes as only running between Westerhope and the town. Severing any connections beyond there.

I don't believe there's any changes to the 22 at all - https://bustimes.org/registrations/PB0002404/4

There's been a variation submitted and the only change is a change to one of the morning 22X's. It's just hearsay imo and someone potentially looking at the night bus map, someone mentioning Stagecoach in Whitley which was obviously the 317 and putting 2 + 2 together.
(20 Feb 2022, 11:40 pm)Storx wrote I don't believe there's any changes to the 22 at all - https://bustimes.org/registrations/PB0002404/4

There's been a variation submitted and the only change is a change to one of the morning 22X's. It's just hearsay imo and someone potentially looking at the night bus map, someone mentioning Stagecoach in Whitley which was obviously the 317 and putting 2 + 2 together.

According to my inside knowledge at Stagecoach Walkergate depot the 22 is getting extended to Whitley Bay, just not sure when. Perhaps the 317 contract outcome will determine the future of the 22, but I think going Throckley - Whitley Bay is too long of a journey for maintaining a reliable and punctual service.
Taking away who owns what or operates what, the absolutely massive issue here one that Nexus, the operators and Gannon and his band of morons still haven’t addressed is smart ticketing across all operators so it doesn’t matter if your 21 is run by Dave from Allerdene Coaches or GNE, you buy a reasonably priced ticket and no matter who operates that bus at 9am or 9pm..your ticket is valid.

Stop making it difficult and complicated to use public transport, people already don’t want to use buses, don’t give them even more excuses not to.
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(20 Feb 2022, 11:18 pm)Andreos1 wrote I'd hazard a guess that some of these services suddenly become financially viable and the daytime operator decides to keep them going forward.

I can’t see any of these suddenly becoming “commercial” - passenger numbers are only around 70% of pre -covid but bus company costs are probably at least 105% of pre-covid, with this years wage rises still to negotiate and fuel costs increasing as the current fuel “hedging” expires.

More services ceasing to be commercial, or reduced infrequency, is very likely.

I haven’t seen any Go North East registration changes/cancellations on the traffic commissioners website yet.
(21 Feb 2022, 12:07 am)Ambassador wrote Taking away who owns what or operates what, the absolutely massive issue here one that Nexus, the operators and Gannon and his band of morons still haven’t addressed is smart ticketing across all operators so it doesn’t matter if your 21 is run by Dave from Allerdene Coaches or GNE, you buy a reasonably priced ticket and no matter who operates that bus at 9am or 9pm..your ticket is valid.

Stop making it difficult and complicated to use public transport, people already don’t want to use buses, don’t give them even more excuses not to.
What is a reasonable price though? I 'm sure i saw an add for the NEtwork 1 ticket for unlimited travel in tyne and wear for under 3.5 a day?  Is that not reasable? 

Out of the three you mention, who would you be more inclined to suggest are the stumbling block? Nexus who's basic job is to integrate transport in tyne and wear, the Gateshead chief who basically got elected on getting the transport system sorted or the operators... who advertise there own tickets above multi operator tickets and in this covid era of losing money probably don't what to share...... hmmm
(21 Feb 2022, 8:15 am)Rob44 wrote What is a reasonable price though? I 'm sure i saw an add for the NEtwork 1 ticket for unlimited travel in tyne and wear for under 3.5 a day?  Is that not reasable? 

Out of the three you mention, who would you be more inclined to suggest are the stumbling block? Nexus who's basic job is to integrate transport in tyne and wear, the Gateshead chief who basically got elected on getting the transport system sorted or the operators... who advertise there own tickets above multi operator tickets and in this covid era of losing money probably don't what to share...... hmmm

Gannon is head of NECA or whatever it's called these days. It's a Nexus / NECA / Council issue though, it's mental how far the North East is behind pretty much every other area. It doesn't help that Nexus has serious conflicts of interest in running the Metro at the same time and runs it as competition rather than integrating with the buses.

Network One should have been abolished years ago and merged with Pop and it needs to be regionwide not just Tyne and Wear.
(21 Feb 2022, 8:39 am)Storx wrote Gannon is head of NECA or whatever it's called these days. It's a Nexus / NECA / Council issue though, it's mental how far the North East is behind pretty much every other area. It doesn't help that Nexus has serious conflicts of interest in running the Metro at the same time and runs it as competition rather than integrating with the buses.

Network One should have been abolished years ago and merged with Pop and it needs to be regionwide not just Tyne and Wear.
It was the Tories that privatised the buses , forcing Metro into competition. Those old enough will remember the integrated transport system prior to 1986. In those days , there weren’t flashy liveries on buses , instead we had a regular and extensive service , Day and night. Today, we have flashy liveries (GNE especially ) hiding a massively shrinking service. This started well before Covid. 

As we have seem on the Railways, privatisation has failed, hence why they are coming back towards state control. Only a matter of time for the policy to be extended to buses.
(21 Feb 2022, 9:06 am)Economic505 wrote It was the Tories that privatised the buses , forcing Metro into competition. Those old enough will remember the integrated transport system prior to 1986. In those days , there weren’t flashy liveries on buses , instead we had a regular and extensive service , Day and night. Today, we have flashy liveries (GNE especially ) hiding a massively shrinking service. This started well before Covid. 

As we have seem on the Railways, privatisation has failed, hence why they are coming back towards state control. Only a matter of time for the policy to be extended to buses.
 100% agree with this. Wasnt the metro set up to run along side buses in the 80S  Imagine how clean Newcastle would be if the buses were still in public ownership and people used the metro to get into town after getting dropped off at regent centre/for lane ends/heworth.

(21 Feb 2022, 8:39 am)Storx wrote Gannon is head of NECA or whatever it's called these days. It's a Nexus / NECA / Council issue though, it's mental how far the North East is behind pretty much every other area. It doesn't help that Nexus has serious conflicts of interest in running the Metro at the same time and runs it as competition rather than integrating with the buses.

It more like the private bus company's running it in competition with the Metro. I remember Gateshead metro in the 80's. If wanted to get to town you used the metro. The buses that went on to Newcastle were drop off only at Gateshead ( except the cross tyne service). The whe d-reg i am sure i remember the buses undercutting the metro on a single form Gateshead to Newcastle and advertising the fact!
(21 Feb 2022, 9:06 am)Economic505 wrote It was the Tories that privatised the buses , forcing Metro into competition. Those old enough will remember the integrated transport system prior to 1986. In those days , there weren’t flashy liveries on buses , instead we had a regular and extensive service , Day and night. Today, we have flashy liveries (GNE especially ) hiding a massively shrinking service. This started well before Covid. 

Aye no arguments about the buses forcing the competition but up here is extremely difficult to get multi operator tickets compared to say Manchester and their Systemone ticketing which is so simple to understand - https://www.systemonetravel.co.uk. You can even buy them at travelshops which Nexus decided to shut as you can get all the tickets on the Metro machines, not much use for someone not planning to use the Metro though.

I agree though that'll eventually end up with a TFL like system nationwide though tbh. I believe it's how the trains are going.
Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand how people can complain about the hub and spoke model used by the likes of GNE and having to change buses, but then go on about how great it was having to change at Gateshead to the Metro to get to Newcastle.
(21 Feb 2022, 11:11 am)streetdeckfan wrote Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand how people can complain about the hub and spoke model used by the likes of GNE and having to change buses, but then go on about how great it was having to change at Gateshead to the Metro to get to Newcastle.

For most people, you didn't. It's a myth that all buses used to terminate at Four Lane Ends, Heworth or Gateshead. Some did, mostly local services, or the predecessors to tbe likes of the 4 or 82 (or whatever), but you were able to travel into town from, say, Washington using express services (X4, X5, X94) much like you were now. Likewise, you could travel from much of North Tyneside into Newcastle using the 356 (or 354/355 as it was numbered previous to that) - and, of course, the Coast Road services have always been there. As for Gateshead, Durham Road and Old Durham Road had services into Newcastle with longer-distance services providing that conduit, as did Bensham and Saltwell.
(21 Feb 2022, 11:06 am)MurdnunoC wrote Only getting the paywall there.

£1 for four weeks.
Strange. Let me view it no bother. Was a really good chart too.
(21 Feb 2022, 11:11 am)streetdeckfan wrote Maybe it's just me, but I don't understand how people can complain about the hub and spoke model used by the likes of GNE and having to change buses, but then go on about how great it was having to change at Gateshead to the Metro to get to Newcastle.

well for a start metro's are suppose to be every few minutes. get bus to town then just miss you connection to wherever and having to wait another hour....

Time differences, the Metro is generally a faster option and it goes right in the centre where you want to be. The time it would take to walk from say M&S with all your shopping down to Market Street then trundling across to Gateshead would be negligible to going down an escalator catching a 5 minute Metro service at Gateshead then going up 2 other escalators plus Gateshead is a much nicer waiting environment and your indoors for the whole journey.

It's the same with the likes of the Regent Centre if you caught a bus to there and the Metro's connected it would be quicker than trundling on a bus stuck in traffic through Gosforth. At the same time if you removed half the buses out of Newcastle you could pedestrianise more zones and make it a more pleasant shopping experience so it's a win/win.

Compare that to bus hub and spoke in say Consett. If you want to travel from Delves Lane you have to sit on a seriously infrequent bus service to Consett bus station travelling in the outright wrong direction to then change onto another slow bus which trundles along taking 50 minutes. With the changes added on your talking a 1 hour 30 minute bus time for a journey that's 33 mins in a car.

Cycle -> Metro, Cycle -> Trains, Bus -> Metro, Bus -> Trains works.
Bus -> Bus doesn't work.

The first two are just an outright foreign idea in the UK compared to a lot of EU countries.
(21 Feb 2022, 11:22 am)MurdnunoC wrote For most people, you didn't. It's a myth that all buses used to terminate at Four Lane Ends, Heworth or Gateshead. Some did, mostly local services, or the predecessors to tbe likes of the 4 or 82 (or whatever), but you were able to travel into town from, say, Washington using express services (X4, X5, X94) much like you were now. Likewise, you could travel from much of North Tyneside into Newcastle using the 356 (or 354/355 as it was numbered previous to that) - and, of course, the Coast Road services have always been there. As for Gateshead, Durham Road and Old Durham Road had services into Newcastle with longer-distance services providing that conduit, as did Bensham and Saltwell.

Maybe i worded what i said wrongly but before Maggie privatised the buses was the idea the the TWPTE buses would arrive at a metro station and the metro would be there ready to take you on to the city centre. Of course this was dropped in 1986.

Also of course buses ran to Newcastle from Durham road but from what I could remember these only DROPPED OFF in Gateshead and went to worsick street bus station? obviously that's who i remember it but it was 35 years ago and i was a teenager at the time.
(21 Feb 2022, 11:48 am)Rob44 wrote Maybe i worded what i said wrongly but before Maggie privatised the buses was the idea the the TWPTE buses would arrive at a metro station and the metro would be there ready to take you on to the city centre. Of course this was dropped in 1986.

Also of course buses ran to Newcastle from Durham road but from what I could remember these only DROPPED OFF in Gateshead and went to worsick street bus station? obviously that's who i remember it but it was 35 years ago and i was a teenager at the time.
That's it basically.
The PTE buses would terminate at say Gateshead and the distance work operated by Northern/United (which was pretty much limited stop anyway), would drop off on High West St, before heading to Worswick St.

It worked differently with other bus stations/interchanges - but Gateshead was the one I was most familiar with pre-86.
(21 Feb 2022, 12:12 pm)Andreos1 wrote That's it basically.
The PTE buses would terminate at say Gateshead and the distance work operated by Northern/United (which was pretty much limited stop anyway), would drop off on High West St, before heading to Worswick St.

It worked differently with other bus stations/interchanges - but Gateshead was the one I was most familiar with pre-86.

thank god someone else remembers..... i thought i was going do lally!
(21 Feb 2022, 11:48 am)Rob44 wrote Maybe i worded what i said wrongly but before Maggie privatised the buses was the idea the the TWPTE buses would arrive at a metro station and the metro would be there ready to take you on to the city centre. Of course this was dropped in 1986.

As Andreos has already stated, it was the case that buses did indeed only drop off in Gateshead.

However, I think you may have missed the point I was trying to make - which was it was a myth that all buses terminated at interchanges across Tyne and Wear instead of carrying on to Newcastle. So, for example, if you lived in Wrekenton or Low Fell, it was possible to get a bus into Newcastle without having to alight at Gateshead. If you lived in Saltwell, it was possible to catch the 301 (which, in 1986, went along Saltwell Road and onto Kibblesworth) into Newcastle; or if you lived in Lobley Hill or Whickham, it was possible to catch the 647, or one of the Stanley buses into town.

If you lived in Deckham or Felling, it was possible to catch the 527 (or 522/529 as it was previous to that) to Malborough Crescent if you didn't fancy changing at Gateshead, though it was a lengthier route which took you nowhere near the city-centre.
(21 Feb 2022, 12:43 pm)MurdnunoC wrote As Andreos has already stated, it was the case that buses did indeed only drop off in Gateshead.

However, I think you may have missed the point I was trying to make - which was it was a myth that all buses terminated at interchanges across Tyne and Wear instead of carrying on to Newcastle. So, for example, if you lived in Wrekenton or Low Fell, it was possible to get a bus into Newcastle without having to alight at Gateshead. If you lived in Saltwell, it was possible to catch the 301 (which, in 1986, went along Saltwell Road and onto Kibblesworth) into Newcastle; or if you lived in Lobley Hill or Whickham, it was possible to catch the 647, or one of the Stanley buses into town.

If you lived in Deckham or Felling, it was possible to catch the 527 (or 522/529 as it was previous to that) to Malborough Crescent if you didn't fancy changing at Gateshead, though it was a lengthier route which took you nowhere near the city-centre.
 And you seem to be missing mine. It was stated the Gannon had a conflicted of interest being "in charge" of the Metro and the north east transport authority.  It was correctly pointed out that the Tories privatised the buses in 86? What I'm say in prior to 86 buses and the metro would have worked together and it was suggest seen as the same company "ran the buses and the metro" that would work in tandom together. So if de reg hadn't happened buses would have stopped at interchanges and customers would have change to metro rather that 16 GNE buses carrying fresh air going over the tyne brigde, and cloggin up ( and loosing time) in Newcastle meaning we now have CAZ
(21 Feb 2022, 1:03 pm)Rob44 wrote  And you seem to be missing mine. It was stated the Gannon had a conflicted of interest being "in charge" of the Metro and the north east transport authority.  It was correctly pointed out that the Tories privatised the buses in 86? What I'm say in prior to 86 buses and the metro would have worked together and it was suggest seen as the same company "ran the buses and the metro" that would work in tandom together. So if de reg hadn't happened buses would have stopped at interchanges and customers would have change to metro rather that 16 GNE buses carrying fresh air going over the tyne brigde, and cloggin up ( and loosing time) in Newcastle meaning we now have CAZ

I haven't missed your point. My initial post was a direct response to Streetdeckfan's inference that all buses terminated at Gateshead/FLE/Heworth/Jarrow (or wherever); and people would be forced to change to the Metro regardless when, as seen in the examples I've listed subsequently, it really wasn't the case at all as it was possible to travel to Newcastle from your local bus stop without having to alight at any of the interchanges I've listed.

For the record, I do believe there should be a holistic approach to transport in the Tyne and Wear conurbation which involves all stakeholders working together to complement rather than compete against each other. As you correctly point out, this was the case prior to deregulation, where you had Buses and Metros working in unison. However, I'm not sure whether the frequency of the Metro has drastically changed since 1986 - the frequency is currently meant to be every 12 minutes on both routes, which gives a headway of around every 6 minutes on the core section between South Gosforth and Pelaw during the day with a few extra trains chucked during the peak. Like yourself, I was using buses in the 1980s and I can certainly remember having to wait what seemed like ages for a Metro after alighting at Gateshead from the 648/649 with my 10p Transfare in hand. The only example I can think of where a more frequent service may have ran was on the St James to North Shields section where you had the Blue Line - I'm happy to be wrong if you can prove otherwise.

While there may not have been 16 buses crossing the Tyne Bridge into Newcastle, there still would have been a fair few operated by Go North East (or whatever its NBC equivalent would have been known as today) heading into town. The 21 is probably the most frequent but, based upon the 1985 understanding of what might be considered to be a 'long-distance' service, the argument might be made that it should still cross the Tyne based upon that reasoning. The same goes for the X1. The only services that would be realistically affected are the 27/53/54/56/57/58/96/97 - which, I agree, probably shouldn't serve the city-centre, although I suspect there might be a lot of people upset if they didn't. Also, the Tyne Bridge isn't solely responsible for all the pollution which has prompted Newcastle Council to introduce a CAZ. Blackett Street is a well-known hotspot too, and the buses operating along that stretch of road are currently not too dissimilar than what would have been operating prior to deregulation.
I think Labour might be spinning this just a little, but this has come from their petition to save North Tyneside buses.

--------

Thank You!
Thanks for signing our petition to stop the cuts to bus services in North Tyneside, as a result of the Conservative Government cuts to bus funding, and the private companies putting profits before passengers.

Over 2,000 of you sent a message to the Government and the bus companies telling them to stop the cuts to your services.

We've written to the Government and the bus companies letting them know how you feel.

We've also raised the issue in regional transport committees, and I wrote, as the chair of the Tyne and Wear Transport committee to Baroness Vere, the Conservative Transport Minister responsible for bus funding. You can see the Chronicles article on this here https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...MR82yYa0BU

I wanted to let you know some good news as a direct result of North Tyneside Labour councillors voting to increase funding to NEXUS by £750,000 we've managed to save some routes and replace other routes with services. This does not totally make up for the Conservative Government and private bus company cuts, but it does stop many bus deserts meaning many people have access to buses they wouldn’t if it was left to the Conservative Government.

The campaign does not stop here though, and we will continue pushing to try and secure every single service the Government is cutting. Please share this email and petition with family and friends asking them to sign up to save our buses https://saventbuses.co.uk/

Routes we've managed to save:

Service 19 - Route saved in its entirety and extended to serve other sections of the fish Quay.

Service 11 - Replaced with service 317 which will follow the 11 route between Whitley Bay and Howdon with the addition of ferry landing. From Howdon it will service Ridley Ave, Coniston Road, Churchill Street, Simonside, Archer Street, Holy Cross and then on to Wallsend.

Service 43/44 - Saved these routes have been added into the 43 route and all areas previously served will continue.

Service 53 - Saved the evening service with it additionally serving Cobalt business park.

Go North East service 1 - We've intervened to ensure there is still an evening service on the route between Whitley Bay and Newcastle.

311 - Evening services replaced with 310, meaning residents also get evening services direct to North Shields and continue with the City Centre link.

41/41A - Saved the Hadrian Park to Wallsend section of the route with the Howdon to Wallsend section served by previously mentioned 317.

Service 42 - Replaced with service 342. This new route will serve Wallsend - ASDA (omitting Hadrian Lodge) - Forest Hall - Killingworth - Burradon - Dudley - Seaton Burn - Wideopen - Hazlerigg - Kingston Park - Newbiggin Hall - Westerhope. The Hadrian Lodge section of the route will be replaced with additional services on the Arriva 52

57/57A - Saved evening services from cancellation.

Service 55 - Saved every evening service except for the Sunday evening services.

X8 - Evening services saved but with an earlier finishing time.

We have also managed to secure additional stops on some buses to ensure communities continue to be served by buses.

We will continue to lobby Government and bus companies to tell them to stop cuts to bus services. The changes we have made couldn't save all areas but it was like doing a job with one arm tied behind our back with the cuts from the Conservative Government and bus companies.

We will continue to explore funding for additional services.

Remember to forward this email on to friends and family asking them to sign our petition to save all of our buses https://saventbuses.co.uk/

Kind Regards

Councillor Carl Johnson

Deputy Mayor of North Tyneside

Chair of the Tyne and Wear Transport committee