You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

ID checks
I've been getting my ID checked quite a lot recently for the 5-25 tickets, but after faffing about for half an hour trying to get my driving license out of my wallet, they don't even look at it.

Do they just assume that because I actually got the ID out that I meet the criteria for the ticket, or is it just for show?

I assume there's been a crack down on the tickets recently given I've been IDd more times this month than I have in the last few years!

Sent from my AC2003 using Tapatalk
RE: ID checks
(26 Apr 2022, 3:30 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I've been getting my ID checked quite a lot recently for the 5-25 tickets, but after faffing about for half an hour trying to get my driving license out of my wallet, they don't even look at it.

Do they just assume that because I actually got the ID out that I meet the criteria for the ticket, or is it just for show?

I assume there's been a crack down on the tickets recently given I've been IDd more times this month than I have in the last few years!

Easy way around it, use the app as you can only buy a 5-25 ticket after age verification has been carried out, either that have your ID out when asking for one like most people do and it will save you the faff on
(26 Apr 2022, 3:30 pm)streetdeckfan wrote I've been getting my ID checked quite a lot recently for the 5-25 tickets, but after faffing about for half an hour trying to get my driving license out of my wallet, they don't even look at it.

I get a weekly ticket and I never get them - however if my friend ask for £1.20 they’ll want ID. 
however there is this one driver that he gets 4 days a week and always asks for ID. It’s been happening a lot more - but mainly with drivers which don’t look happy.
ID checks
You should always show your age ID if your purchasing or using a discounted travel ticket, even if the driver asks for it or not, it’s just like a discounted railcard both cards must be shown

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can't be complaining for a bus driver doing his job can you?

He may ask to see it everytime even though he has seen it before but if management ever reviewed cctv and noticed he hadn't checked ID the driver would get the blame

It's like saying the 90yr old pensioner with two walking sticks and a happy birthday badge pinned to them would still be expected to show a concessionary pass.

You also have to remember you may recognise the same driver quite often however think of say the bus driver doing 10 laps of the X66 - how many passengers faces has he seen that day
Let's be clear, I don't care about them asking to see my ID, but as a general rule, I don't go around showing it to strangers unless I can help it, hence not showing unless they ask. But the least they can do, when I do show them it, is to actually look at it. I could have been 30 and I would have been given the ticket despite them 'checking' my ID.

Plus, like I say, I can probably count on one hand the amount of times I've been asked to show ID for the 5-25 ticket until last month, which is why I also asked if there has been a crack down on it recently, given they probably don't want to be losing out on £2.50 if they can help it!
(28 Apr 2022, 7:46 am)busmanT wrote I suspect that the Go-Ahead Group's new business strategy, “The Next Billion Journeys”:
https://newsroom.go-ahead.com/news/the-g...n-journeys
is one of the reasons - it talks about "turning round underperforming companies" and one way to do that is to maximise revenue collection.
is GNE really underperforming, yes they are losing money at this moment - but surely after the Congestion Charge for people who live on the routes which feed into Newcastle will use them.

Route like the 57/58/56/21/56/28/25 will probs become busier so people don't pay the charge atleast from Gateshead they will, may even benfit some lines feeding into Gateshead like the 93/94 for people who need a journey through Newcastle to the coast may use the 27 or 1 to Whitley Bay
(28 Apr 2022, 7:46 am)busmanT wrote I suspect that the Go-Ahead Group's new business strategy, “The Next Billion Journeys”:
https://newsroom.go-ahead.com/news/the-g...n-journeys
is one of the reasons - it talks about "turning round underperforming companies" and one way to do that is to maximise revenue collection.
Wonder if the drivers are being incentivised like they've been done previously?
Think they got a fiver for each pass they confiscated a few years back.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(28 Apr 2022, 7:52 am)Unber43 wrote is GNE really underperforming, yes they are losing money at this moment - but surely after the Congestion Charge for people who live on the routes which feed into Newcastle will use them.

Route like the 57/58/56/21/56/28/25 will probs become busier so people don't pay the charge atleast from Gateshead they will, may even benfit some lines feeding into Gateshead like the 93/94 for people who need a journey through Newcastle to the coast may use the 27 or 1 to Whitley Bay
 i thought car were exempt?  If so why would those buses become busier?
(28 Apr 2022, 8:12 am)Andreos1 wrote Wonder if the drivers are being incentivised like they've been done previously?

No incentive as far as I'm aware or heard of now.
Views and Opinions are my own
(28 Apr 2022, 8:12 am)Andreos1 wrote Wonder if the drivers are being incentivised like they've been done previously?

Wasn't that for PayPoint and Teen Travel tickets though?

GNE scrapped the ID cards they produced ages ago, and you can't exactly take someone's phone off them because you think they're presenting digital ID that isn't theirs... same way as a driver doesn't have the authority to confiscate a driving licence or passport.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(28 Apr 2022, 5:38 pm)Adrian wrote Wasn't that for PayPoint and Teen Travel tickets though?

GNE scrapped the ID cards they produced ages ago, and you can't exactly take someone's phone off them because you think they're presenting digital ID that isn't theirs... same way as a driver doesn't have the authority to confiscate a driving licence or passport.
Nah, was more recently than that.
Can remember loads of mams kicking off on fb about drivers taking little Shania and Johnny's passes off them.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(28 Apr 2022, 6:10 pm)Andreos1 wrote Nah, was more recently than that.
Can remember loads of mams kicking off on fb about drivers taking little Shania and Johnny's passes off them.
They might still be Key cards; when I've drawn the short straw and got on a bus that picks up school kids, I still see plenty of them scanning a green Key card.