You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Repaints into 2019 fleet livery

RE: Repaints into 2019 fleet livery
(21 Apr 2022, 1:24 pm)streetdeckfan wrote Yeah, looks awful!

Why couldn't they stop the blue just a bit higher, at the end of the panel, would have looked a bit better. The shadow is what ruins it for me
I'm in opposite opinion and actually think it looks smart on the E400MMC. It totally depends on the vehicle type. I don't think it would look smart on a B9TL or an E200MMC or Scania OmniDekka. But does look it on the E400MMC due to maybe how flat the panel is?
Site Administrator
(21 Apr 2022, 6:18 pm)L469 YVK wrote I'm in opposite opinion and actually think it looks smart on the E400MMC. It totally depends on the vehicle type. I don't think it would look smart on a B9TL or an E200MMC or Scania OmniDekka. But does look it on the E400MMC due to maybe how flat the panel is?

I agree. It can’t be a one size fits all approach to the blue panel. It provides a bit of relief against the mass of red on the E400 and works well.

It’s possibly one of the very few vehicle types where it does work though. I don’t think it would look too bad on the Geminis (they already have different colours on the branded ones, which looks fine!)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those complaining about inconsistencies in the application of liveries are probably too young to remember Northumbria Motor Services and its livery which it applied uniformly to all its vehicles.
It looks spot on applied to Optare Deltas and ECW bodied Olympians, especially the former commuter coaches, a bit bizarre on Bristol VRs and LHs and pretty vile on most Leopard coaches with paint all over the grille!
North Western's deregulation livery divided opinion in much the same way.
(21 Apr 2022, 6:23 pm)Dan wrote I agree. It can’t be a one size fits all approach to the blue panel. It provides a bit of relief against the mass of red on the E400 and works well.

It’s possibly one of the very few vehicle types where it does work though. I don’t think it would look too bad on the Geminis (they already have different colours on the branded ones, which looks fine!)

Is there a reason why none of the vehicles recently repainted into the corporate livery have gained advert panels? They seem to help break up the red
Site Administrator
(21 Apr 2022, 6:53 pm)Dans_bus_photos wrote Is there a reason why none of the vehicles recently repainted into the corporate livery have gained advert panels? They seem to help break up the red

There aren’t any spare - operators have to buy the frames. Speculate to accumulate type of thing.

(21 Apr 2022, 6:50 pm)missedbus wrote Those complaining about inconsistencies in the application of liveries are probably too young to remember Northumbria Motor Services and its livery which it applied uniformly to all its vehicles.
It looks spot on applied to Optare Deltas and ECW bodied Olympians, especially the former commuter coaches, a bit bizarre on Bristol VRs and LHs and pretty vile on most Leopard coaches with paint all over the grille!
North Western's deregulation livery divided opinion in much the same way.

In fairness you just have to look at the Arriva Interurban livery for a mess of a rebrand never mind NMS. Half the buses were/are just painted outright wrong and that's the ones which have been painted at all.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/stanstedtr...659533862/ - We don't have any up here but the Streetlite is particularly bad.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/35759580@N03/4982409556 - Our L113's were pretty bad aswell imo. The Southern version which different wasn't much better - http://www.countrybus.org/SLW/ATS3165c.jpg
I was on 6304 the other morning couldn't help but notice that all of the interior branding upstairs is still for the X5/15. Has this just been missed when repainted?
(07 May 2022, 5:57 am)User2613 wrote I was on 6304 the other morning couldn't help but notice that all of the interior branding upstairs is still for the X5/15. Has this just been missed when repainted?

Still?
(07 May 2022, 5:15 pm)User2613 wrote Yes, has been like this since it moved from Consett to Washington for the 50/26.
I was on 6305 earlier and it is also the case on this bus. The interior branding has not been updated and has instead been left as the X5/15.
Must say NE operators don't love spending money on buses that should be getting withdrawn not repaints lately.

GNE with these
Stagecoach on the ALX300 MAN's and Darts
Arriva with the Centro's and Darts the former which got a refurb aswell and are all already out of service.
(29 May 2022, 8:04 pm)Storx wrote Must say NE operators don't love spending money on buses that should be getting withdrawn not repaints lately.

GNE with these
Stagecoach on the ALX300 MAN's and Darts
Arriva with the Centro's and Darts the former which got a refurb aswell and are all already out of service.
MG said that they had a lot of life left in them.
(29 May 2022, 8:06 pm)Unber43 wrote MG said that they had a lot of life left in them.

Doubt they'll be around long though as they tend to keep buses for roughly 15 years and these are at 17 years already. The darts at Stagecoach and Arriva are the more baffling ones though especially Arriva since they've painted about 10 buses North of the Tyne and they got priority, not to mention the Solo's aswell.
(29 May 2022, 8:17 pm)Storx wrote Doubt they'll be around long though as they tend to keep buses for roughly 15 years and these are at 17 years already. The darts at Stagecoach and Arriva are the more baffling ones though especially Arriva since they've painted about 10 buses North of the Tyne and they got priority, not to mention the Solo's aswell.
There have been very few new vehicles in the North East in the last 2 years, so it's inevitable that existing buses will be kept for longer. 

Longer may well be the new normal for a few years - I expect that 3942 will manage a couple of years at least on scholars services.

(29 May 2022, 6:50 pm)KingSlayerRBLX wrote [Image: FB_IMG_1653837021474.jpg]
Not my photo but here it is.
Would of thought it could of at least got a retrim

The fleet number under the cab window seems to slope!
(29 May 2022, 8:42 pm)busmanT wrote There have been very few new vehicles in the North East in the last 2 years, so it's inevitable that existing buses will be kept for longer. 

Longer may well be the new normal for a few years - I expect that 3942 will manage a couple of years at least on scholars services.

The fleet number under the cab window seems to slope!

Not think they'll just get some London castoffs instead? Seems the more sensible choice imo if it's just got scholars. I know GoAhead London are disposing quite a lot lately which some are up here already for Metro Replacement supposedly . Be interesting to see if they stay afterwards which would arguably be better than the Omnidekkas and these.

Agreed though that they won't be any new stock for the foreseeable future.
(29 May 2022, 6:50 pm)KingSlayerRBLX wrote [Image: FB_IMG_1653837021474.jpg]
Not my photo but here it is.
Would of thought it could of at least got a retrim
Dan says they are staying and have been upgraded to Euro 6, have NSA and wifi, furthermore set to outlive the 06 plate ex London..
Does the repainting of 3942 effectively confirm that the consultation is nothing more than a PR stunt given the x22 formed part of that consultation and the change has been done without proper time being given to look at the feedback?
(29 May 2022, 8:06 pm)Unber43 wrote MG said that they had a lot of life left in them.
This has gone on for many years. I remember Nationals 4530 & 4531 were given full re paints into Red & White before being withdrawn only a few months later.
(31 May 2022, 7:13 am)54APhotography wrote Dan says they are staying and have been upgraded to Euro 6, have NSA and wifi, furthermore set to outlive the 06 plate ex London..
3942 Dan's favourite number!
Wouldn't the cost of a repaint, if done internally, be fairly negligible as it's essentially just material cost?
The paint, believe it or not, isn't actually that expensive, in fact I'd be surprised if the raw paint cost more than £300.
Labour is the main reason the price of a repaint is so expensive, but if you've already got a fairly competent bodyshop on the payroll, then it makes it much cheaper
(31 May 2022, 7:39 am)User2613 wrote Does the repainting of 3942 effectively confirm that the consultation is nothing more than a PR stunt given the x22 formed part of that consultation and the change has been done without proper time being given to look at the feedback?
The X22 was scrapped months ago and had no hope of being brought back, plenty of other ways to get to the metrocentre from durham