You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot

RE: Closure of Chester-le-Street Depot
(10 Jun 2022, 8:55 pm)Unber43 wrote Really CLS & washington should merge into one massive depot, with 21 & X21 running from

Not sure how to respond to this, other than ask why would they do that, when they can close Chester-le-Street and accommodate the work within existing locations?

Seriously. There's too many suggestions being thrown around, without any kind of rationale to them.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
In a non covid world -

Chester was always likely to close eventually, the building is archaic, investment need to bring it up to scratch would fail a cost benefit analysis.

A new depot would be built, potentially encompassing Washington, likely at the first refusal site they had at Drum in Birtley and it would be future proofed.

In a post covid world they can reduce services enough to make it feasible to run from elsewhere.
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(11 Jun 2022, 8:22 pm)KingSlayerRBLX wrote Think of all the possible rare allocations that could possibly occur. Connnections 4 on the 34 or a Crusader on the 21. Good opportunities for some rare/very rare allocations
More excuse to ditch branding tbh. 

The 21 isn’t a success because it’s called the Angel. It’s been successful since 1912 because it serves a key and lucrative transport corridor. (Though we really should thank Classic for creating what we know as the modern 21…it’s not a GNE route, they just bought the concept)
(11 Jun 2022, 8:22 pm)KingSlayerRBLX wrote Think of all the possible rare allocations that could possibly occur. Connnections 4 on the 34 or a Crusader on the 21. Good opportunities for some rare/very rare allocations
Think of all the workers worrying about their future and the uncertainty around it, what it means for their families and so on.

Much more important than getting excited over a bloody bus in the wrong place, wouldn't you say!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(11 Jun 2022, 9:24 pm)Ambassador wrote More excuse to ditch branding tbh. 

The 21 isn’t a success because it’s called the Angel. It’s been successful since 1912 because it serves a key and lucrative transport corridor. (Though we really should thank Classic for creating what we know as the modern 21…it’s not a GNE route, they just bought the concept)
I'd love to know how passenger numbers on the 21 have evolved over the years in comparison to the millions of pounds spent on vehicles and marketing.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(11 Jun 2022, 9:38 pm)Andreos1 wrote I'd love to know how passenger numbers on the 21 have evolved over the years in comparison to the millions of pounds spent on vehicles and marketing.

The 21 is one of those routes that would be a success if Malarkey’s Marathon coaches was running it…it thrives in spite of the operator and the gimmicks. 

The limited stop 723, the Omncities flashbacks….someone at Bensham was paid a lot of money for that decision…they’re probably still there.
(11 Jun 2022, 9:38 pm)Andreos1 wrote I'd love to know how passenger numbers on the 21 have evolved over the years in comparison to the millions of pounds spent on vehicles and marketing.

It has to be the least frequent it's ever been along there with only 6 buses an hour and only 2 to Durham. For their supposedly flagship route it hasn't half deteriated the past few years.

In comparison to other corridors by other operators who have already made their cuts it's rather infrequent. 8 buses an hour along Chillingham Road with SNE and 8 buses an hour along the Great North Road with Arriva. 

Be interesting to see if it deteriates further now places like Birtley and Low Fell can't really get anywhere other than what's on the 21 since everything else has been cut.
(11 Jun 2022, 9:48 pm)Storx wrote It has to be the least frequent it's ever been along there with only 6 buses an hour and only 2 to Durham. For their supposedly flagship route it hasn't half deteriated the past few years.

In comparison to other corridors by other operators who have already made their cuts it's rather infrequent. 8 buses an hour along Chillingham Road with SNE and 8 buses an hour along the Great North Road with Arriva. 

Be interesting to see if it deteriates further now places like Birtley and Low Fell can't really get anywhere other than what's on the 21 since everything else has been cut.
Plenty of new build estates going up in Birtley…5 in the last two years and another being built this year. Headline of the developers website? Close to A1 and double drives on all houses
(11 Jun 2022, 10:01 pm)BusLoverMum wrote I remember when I could get from low fell to Heworrh, on one bus, without it taking a year.
Ditto Low Fell to the innards of Barley Mow or the edge of Vigo without a hike up a hill or taxi ride.

It doesn't seem that long ago, that the residents of Barley Mow and Vigo had 3 or 4 buses an hour to their local hospital too. 
Whether they worked there, had some out-patient appointments or were visiting - it was doable in less than 20mins.
Now? Depends on how delayed the 21 is and how long they've got to wait at Gateshead to go back on themselves. Or, they gamble on a connection at Wrekenton.

(11 Jun 2022, 10:03 pm)Ambassador wrote Plenty of new build estates going up in Birtley…5 in the last two years and another being built this year. Headline of the developers website? Close to A1 and double drives on all houses
Advertising excellent links to local places of employment too no doubt.
Team Valley is 10/15mins in the car.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(11 Jun 2022, 9:28 pm)Adrian wrote Think of all the workers worrying about their future and the uncertainty around it, what it means for their families and so on.

Much more important than getting excited over a bloody bus in the wrong place, wouldn't you say!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
Well sorry, just thinking of something that people could enjoy for a bit. i do acknowledge that Workers will have issues and will need to travel further for work.
(18 Jun 2022, 7:13 am)54APhotography wrote What happened to the talk of a new depot site in the Crowther area to replace Chester and Washington? Washington isn't an ideal site so surely at some point that will have to be replaced
Didn’t GNE have a new roof fitted at Washington depot a couple of years back?
I can’t see it closing any time soon.
(18 Jun 2022, 4:44 pm)busmanT wrote Didn’t GNE have a new roof fitted at Washington depot a couple of years back?
If the 28/25 stayes they are going to need somewhere to put their vehicles and Washington is really busy at the moment, loads of the buses are parked outside
(18 Jun 2022, 4:49 pm)Unber43 wrote If the 28/25 stayes they are going to need somewhere to put their vehicles and Washington is really busy at the moment, loads of the buses are parked outside

Could some of Washington allocations be transferred to deptford, to compensate some Chester allocations to Washington?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(18 Jun 2022, 4:49 pm)Unber43 wrote If the 28/25 stayes they are going to need somewhere to put their vehicles and Washington is really busy at the moment, loads of the buses are parked outside
If the 82 does get withdrawn (3 PVR); 84 does get curtailed (1 PVR); 4 is reduced in frequency (2 PVR); and 26 transfers to another depot (4 PVR?) then there will probably only be room for the 8 & 34.

GCT might have lots of spare drivers and modern buses from 25th July with the 23 and 73 being cancelled.
(18 Jun 2022, 4:44 pm)busmanT wrote Didn’t GNE have a new roof fitted at Washington depot a couple of years back?

Isn’t Washington depot rented?

(18 Jun 2022, 5:04 pm)cbma06 wrote Could some of Washington allocations be transferred to deptford, to compensate some Chester allocations to Washington?

The only one I could think is the 26 or the 4 due to Wessignton Way / A19 / Sunderland Highway its pretty easy to get to Washington from Deptford. 

If the 26 interworks with the 24 and 5, then surely that will free up 5 spaces. Tbh every Washington Service bar the Little Pinks could move to Deptford, especially for dead runs the only ones which will change massively are the ones which start from Washington
(18 Jun 2022, 5:29 pm)Unber43 wrote The only one I could think is the 26 or the 4 due to Wessignton Way / A19 / Sunderland Highway its pretty easy to get to Washington from Deptford. 

If the 26 interworks with the 24 and 5, then surely that will free up 5 spaces. Tbh every Washington Service bar the Little Pinks could move to Deptford, especially for dead runs the only ones which will change massively are the ones which start from Washington

When I initially saw the the new 24 frequency I was surprised that the new service 24 was going to be every 15 minutes, as it should be no more than a 20 minute service , then I realised that half of the 24 might change into the 26 and vice versa for the 5.

(18 Jun 2022, 5:04 pm)cbma06 wrote Could some of Washington allocations be transferred to deptford, to compensate some Chester allocations to Washington?

I think it would make sense for the larger depots like Deptford, Riverside and Consett to operate the most profitable routes within Go North East's portfolio of operations with the less profitable being operated out of low cost units at Washington and Percy Main. 

For example:

Deptford Operate: X-Lines X1/X20, Connections 4, Prince Bishops 20, The 24, CityRider 56, Drifer 60, The 61, East Durham Explorer 65 & Peterlee Purples

Riverside Operate: X-Lines X10, Tyne Valley Ten, Angel 21, Crusader 27, The 49, East Gateshead Orbit 51/52, Voltra 53/54, East Gateshead Rider 57/58, East Gateshead Loop 93/94, Cobalt & Coast 309/310/311 & National Express

Consett Operate: X-Lines X5/X15, X21, X30/X31/X32, X45/X46, X70/X71/X72, Service 6, Venture Network, Durham Cathedral Shuttle, Chester 700's, Red Kite Ranger 47 & Country Ranger 8/78

Washington Operate: Sunderland District 2/2A, 35, 39/39A/39B and 55, The 50

Percy Main Operate: Coaster 1, Quaycity Q3, The 5,19 & 26, Little Coaster 41, DFDS 327

Hexham Operate: Tynedale Links Network and Service 684

Obviously I have missed quite a few of Chester's and Washington Services along with a few other services operated by other depots atm until we know if these contracts will be retained under tender with Go North East or not.

In the long term it would make sense to me to build a new depot for Washington/Percy Main on the International Advanced Manufacturing Park (IAMP), it could also be used to incorporate Saltmeadows Works facility thus giving them a new state of the art building to work from in the years to come, the area is also good for accessibility from the A19 for operations in North/South Tyneside plus the A1231/A1 for operations in Washington/Sunderland and County Durham.
(18 Jun 2022, 6:20 pm)Malarkey wrote I think it would make sense for the larger depots like Deptford, Riverside and Consett to operate the most profitable routes within Go North East's portfolio of operations with the less profitable being operated out of low cost units at Washington and Percy Main. 

For example:

Deptford Operate: X-Lines X1/X20, Connections 4, Prince Bishops 20, The 24, CityRider 56, Drifer 60, The 61, East Durham Explorer 65 & Peterlee Purples

Riverside Operate: X-Lines X10, Tyne Valley Ten, Angel 21, Crusader 27, The 49, East Gateshead Orbit 51/52, Voltra 53/54, East Gateshead Rider 57/58, East Gateshead Loop 93/94, Cobalt & Coast 309/310/311 & National Express

Consett Operate: X-Lines X5/X15, X21, X30/X31/X32, X45/X46, X70/X71/X72, Service 6, Venture Network, Durham Cathedral Shuttle, Chester 700's, Red Kite Ranger 47 & Country Ranger 8/78

Percy Main Operate: Coaster 1, Quaycity Q3, The 5,19 & 26, Little Coaster 41, DFDS 327

Obviously I have missed quite a few of Chester's and Washington Services along with a few other services operated by other depots atm until we know if these contracts will be retained under tender with Go North East or not.

In the long term it would make sense to me to build a new depot for Washington/Percy Main on the International Advanced Manufacturing Park (IAMP), it could also be used to incorporate Saltmeadows Works facility thus giving them a new state of the art building to work from in the years to come, the area is also good for accessibility from the A19 for operations in North/South Tyneside plus the A1231/A1 for operations in Washington/Sunderland and County Durham.
There is a new plan for buildings/industrial sites near Queen Alexandria Bridge on Deptford Terrace, where a new Deptford Depot could be built, cos lets face it the 20/60 will be the first buses at Deptford to be upgraded to electric buses followed by what I assume would be the 56. tbf, the 65 would be a nice electric bus route. 

And I don't imagine Consett needing any room for electric buses anytime soon seems as tho the Bid failed if anything the X5/15/ Riverside, they'll need space for the 21 eventually. Percy Main ain't getting any upgrades any time soon either. And if the 21 does get electric buses, they'll probs replace the Hybrids on the 16.

For the 2/2A that should be split between Washington and Silksworth with there being 5 new services, 42/43 (Current 2/2A Route Sunderland-Silksworth every 12 mins 3x2/2x2A) And the 2/2A/3 (takeing up various of the Little Pinks locations aswell as more in sunderland) I firmly believe that the only way GNE can attract more passengers from the Sunderland Area is too go more into esates and not just A183 and A690
(18 Jun 2022, 6:28 pm)Unber43 wrote And if the 21 does get electric buses, they'll probs replace the Hybrids on the 16.
I doubt it. The 56 and 309/310/311 would be way up the pecking order for cascaded StreetDecks to replace fuel hungry overkill B9TLs if they didn't receive EV funding. Even if so, plenty of other routes way ahead in the pecking order before the 16/16A.
(18 Jun 2022, 6:49 pm)L469 YVK wrote I doubt it. The 56 and 309/310/311 would be way up the pecking order for cascaded StreetDecks to replace fuel hungry overkill B9TLs if they didn't receive EV funding. Even if so, plenty of other routes way ahead in the pecking order before the 16/16A.
I'd imagine the 309/10/11 would get brand new vehicles. The 56 might get new buses aswell.
(18 Jun 2022, 5:15 pm)cbma06 wrote Isn’t Washington depot rented?

Probably rented from Go-Ahead PLC.

I’m told that drivers at Chester -Le-Street depot are no longer being asked if they wish to work on their rest days — drivers sat at home willing to work whilst journeys are cancelled.
(18 Jun 2022, 6:20 pm)Malarkey wrote I think it would make sense for the larger depots like Deptford, Riverside and Consett to operate the most profitable routes within Go North East's portfolio of operations with the less profitable being operated out of low cost units at Washington and Percy Main. 

For example:

I'm not sure doing a low cost depot route is a good idea as it usually means lower wages. GNE have pissed enough staff off as it is I'm not sure telling Percy Main and Washington drivers they're now working for a low cost unit is a good idea. 

Not to mention operationally the routes are just in the wrong place for driver changeovers.
(18 Jun 2022, 6:55 pm)Unber43 wrote I'd imagine the 309/10/11 would get brand new vehicles. The 56 might get new buses aswell.
I doubt it given the current state of play unless another EV bid is submitted.

The B9TLs on both sets of routes (unless replaced by cascaded StreetDecks or EVs) will be like the Scania L94's and be worked to the ground until around 15 years old given their heavy duty nature.
(18 Jun 2022, 8:02 pm)Storx wrote I'm not sure doing a low cost depot route is a good idea as it usually means lower wages. GNE have pissed enough staff off as it is I'm not sure telling Percy Main and Washington drivers they're now working for a low cost unit is a good idea. 

Not to mention operationally the routes are just in the wrong place for driver changeovers.

Exactly this.

Plus, you would surely need at least some higher margin routes to help spread the depot overhead.