Menu

Pages (60)    151 52 5360   
ne14ne1   27 Jan 2014, 8:42 pm
(27 Jan 2014, 8:14 pm)Tom wrote I hate it! Not sure why, just doesn't appeal to me.

From what we've seen so far - which isn't a lot to be fair - I don't like it either.
When we heard it was going to get new branding added, I thought maybe some silver/gold swooshes or ribbon type design floating along the full length of both halves, could of given it a VIP/slightly posh or upmarket type look, and maybe advertised as taking the merc to the metrocentre or something. But that just looks like some kid took out their sticker book, got a little too excited, and slapped everything all over it.

Extremely cheap looking font on the front too
Dan   27 Jan 2014, 8:49 pm
(27 Jan 2014, 8:42 pm)ne14ne1 wrote From what we've seen so far - which isn't a lot to be fair - I don't like it either.
When we heard it was going to get new branding added, I thought maybe some silver/gold swooshes or ribbon type design floating along the full length of both halves, could of given it a VIP/slightly posh or upmarket type look, and maybe advertised as taking the merc to the metrocentre or something. But that just looks like some kid took out their sticker book, got a little too excited, and slapped everything all over it.

But of course remember this is said to be a temporary livery only - the X66 is rumoured to be in line for vehicle investment at the end of this year!

Regarding your comment of 'taking the Merc to the Metrocentre' - does your average passenger know or care whether the bus is a Merc or not? What appeal would that have to them?
It's always baffled me why one of the Blaydon Racers has that branding on the rear as its tagline.
citaro5284   27 Jan 2014, 8:50 pm
(27 Jan 2014, 8:42 pm)ne14ne1 wrote From what we've seen so far - which isn't a lot to be fair - I don't like it either.

Is the font not what intu use?
VIP look.....when the bus is used mainly by kids at weekends
Upmarket.....You been to the Metrocentre when the schools are off or at weekends, would hardly say it was upmarket.
citaro5284   27 Jan 2014, 8:51 pm
(27 Jan 2014, 8:16 pm)nk55 wrote Cant make it out, will need to see it in the daylight.

You can see quite a bit to be fair.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
ne14ne1   27 Jan 2014, 8:56 pm
(27 Jan 2014, 8:49 pm)Dan wrote But of course remember this is said to be a temporary livery only - the X66 is rumoured to be in line for vehicle investment at the end of this year!

Regarding your comment of 'taking the Merc to the Metrocentre' - does your average passenger know or care whether the bus is a Merc or not? What appeal would that have to them?
It's always baffled me why one of the Blaydon Racers has that branding on the rear as its tagline.

Go Ahead seem to think so - in the past they've used 'leave the car at home and take the merc', or something along those lines.

Glad its said to be temporary - I didn't realise that.
Malarkey   27 Jan 2014, 8:57 pm
(27 Jan 2014, 8:49 pm)Dan wrote But of course remember this is said to be a temporary livery only - the X66 is rumoured to be in line for vehicle investment at the end of this year!

When the Citaros were on the Red Arrows X1, they had a Similar Tagline of "Leave the Car at Home, Take the Merc", I think the Silver Arrows before they got Rebranded also had the same Tagline above the Rear Wheel Arch, and also on the Rear.

5275 notably had this Tagline - http://www.flickr.com/photos/33928144@N07/3761223543/
Dan   27 Jan 2014, 8:58 pm
(27 Jan 2014, 8:57 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote When the Citaros were on the Red Arrows X1, they had a Similar Tagline of "Leave the Car at Home, Take the Merc", I think the Silver Arrows before they got Rebranded also had the same Tagline above the Rear Wheel Arch, and also on the Rear.

5275 notably had this Tagline - http://www.flickr.com/photos/33928144@N07/3761223543/

And it didn't survive the re-brand!
ne14ne1   27 Jan 2014, 9:05 pm
(27 Jan 2014, 8:50 pm)citaro5284 wrote Is the font not what intu use?
VIP look.....when the bus is used mainly by kids at weekends
Upmarket.....You been to the Metrocentre when the schools are off or at weekends, would hardly say it was upmarket.

According to intu Metrocentre's website "It is now part of the social fabric of the region where people come to meet as well as shop". They state its still "Europe's Largest Shopping and Leisure Centre", and what with the upper central(?) mall shortly being transformed into a new 'platinum' mall, I don't think a little effort would have been OTT for one of its main bus routes.

(I was all for GNEs route branding when they first started, and branding was modern and looked like someone had put some time and effort into it. Now its like the cost of constant repainting has eaten into the branding design budget).

Smile just my thoughts - I come in peace
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
northtynelinks2   27 Jan 2014, 9:51 pm

I doubt that highly as its such a complex livery and im sure the don't want to waste all of their money on a stickers that aren't even going to see a years usage.
Dan   27 Jan 2014, 9:52 pm
(27 Jan 2014, 9:51 pm)northtynelinks2 wrote I doubt that highly as its such a complex livery and im sure the don't want to waste all of their money on a stickers that aren't even going to see a years usage.

Depends if it has come at intu Metrocentre's request or not, and if they have contributed to the payment...
WestDurhamSwift   27 Jan 2014, 10:38 pm
(27 Jan 2014, 7:54 pm)Dan wrote Photograph on link below:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/danielgrahamm/12177099455/

Quite a rushed shot, but better than none at all - I can happily do the news now! Wink

Shocking branding in comparrison to all the recent brandings, I hope its only Temp, whats with the front, was it created on Microsoft word.

Hopefully when the route gets new buses they will get something better.

Surprised they didnt put 'INTU Metrocentre' on rather than Metrocentre, especially the logo. From working in the Metrocentre those guys were going overboard with the whole 'Intu' thing. They even covered up anything with a old metrocentre logo on even if it was just a no smoking sign, so surprised by that.
gtom   27 Jan 2014, 10:56 pm
Agreed on the above

It's intu Metrocentre not Metrocentre.. If they can't even get the basics right
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   27 Jan 2014, 11:06 pm
(27 Jan 2014, 10:38 pm)Arcticrossy92 wrote Shocking branding in comparrison to all the recent brandings, I hope its only Temp, whats with the front, was it created on Microsoft word.

Hopefully when the route gets new buses they will get something better.

Surprised they didnt put 'INTU Metrocentre' on rather than Metrocentre, especially the logo. From working in the Metrocentre those guys were going overboard with the whole 'Intu' thing. They even covered up anything with a old metrocentre logo on even if it was just a no smoking sign, so surprised by that.

You'd think the intu logo would be prominent if they were paying all or part towards the branding. It not being there makes me think they're not.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
speedwheels22   27 Jan 2014, 11:07 pm
Mst of the brands r going down hill,does riverside open tomoz
Malarkey   27 Jan 2014, 11:24 pm
(27 Jan 2014, 11:06 pm)aureolin wrote You'd think the intu logo would be prominent if they were paying all or part towards the branding. It not being there makes me think they're not.

Could say the same about Stagecoach with the 100, As there Branding also doesn't carry the intu logo, I would say it's pointless having the intu logo on the Buses anyway, as there is more than just those Services that serve the MetroCentre, Maybe if the Destination Blind on the X66 read "Intu MetroCentre X66" Then maybe it may of carried the intu logo, But it doesn't, at the end of the day Go North East have provided an Improved Promotional albeit Temporary Livery for the X66 to the MetroCentre, Compared to the Previous Liveries the X66 has had.

Also I am curious are 4926-4931 - 4942/43 - 5201-5204 - 5250/53/54 and 70 - 5389/90 - 6099/6100 and 6116/7 and the Cadets at Washington which are all Plain Red, Will they receive further Go North East Logos i.e. on the Sides, or are just going to Remain how they are with Logo above the Doors and Upper/Lower Section of the Driver Cab, As look rather Plain to me, Particularly the Geminis.
CatsFast101   27 Jan 2014, 11:55 pm
(27 Jan 2014, 11:24 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Could say the same about Stagecoach with the 100, As there Branding also doesn't carry the intu logo, I would say it's pointless having the intu logo on the Buses anyway, as there is more than just those Services that serve the MetroCentre, Maybe if the Destination Blind on the X66 read "Intu MetroCentre X66" Then maybe it may of carried the intu logo, But it doesn't, at the end of the day Go North East have provided an Improved Promotional albeit Temporary Livery for the X66 to the MetroCentre, Compared to the Previous Liveries the X66 has had.

Also I am curious are 4926-4931 - 4942/43 - 5201-5204 - 5250/53/54 and 70 - 5389/90 - 6099/6100 and 6116/7 and the Cadets at Washington which are all Plain Red, Will they receive further Go North East Logos i.e. on the Sides, or are just going to Remain how they are with Logo above the Doors and Upper/Lower Section of the Driver Cab, As look rather Plain to me, Particularly the Geminis.

I'd say they are thinking about what looks best maybe a few test liveries should be tried?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   28 Jan 2014, 12:06 am
(27 Jan 2014, 11:55 pm)CatsFast101 wrote I'd say they are thinking about what looks best maybe a few test liveries should be tried?

Test liveries are a bit of a pointless expense when you could pay a designer to 3D model it for you.

Malarkey   28 Jan 2014, 12:17 am
(28 Jan 2014, 12:06 am)aureolin wrote Test liveries are a bit of a pointless expense when you could pay a designer to 3D model it for you.

Or you could get NEB's Resident Paperbus Designer to do one for free
gtom   28 Jan 2014, 12:19 am
(27 Jan 2014, 11:24 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Could say the same about Stagecoach with the 100, As there Branding also doesn't carry the intu logo,

Stagecoach at least carries the 'old' Metrocentre official branding though (pre Intu) which was current at the time of the new livery launch.

It didn't become Intu until 12 July (officially)

But splitting hairs here no doubt. GNE's effort is piss poor imo. Disappointing considering what we've had. If its temporary, why bother changing it?
palatine3833   28 Jan 2014, 12:50 am
(27 Jan 2014, 11:24 pm)Adam Malarkey wrote Could say the same about Stagecoach with the 100, As there Branding also doesn't carry the intu logo, I would say it's pointless having the intu logo on the Buses anyway, as there is more than just those Services that serve the MetroCentre, Maybe if the Destination Blind on the X66 read "Intu MetroCentre X66" Then maybe it may of carried the intu logo, But it doesn't, at the end of the day Go North East have provided an Improved Promotional albeit Temporary Livery for the X66 to the MetroCentre, Compared to the Previous Liveries the X66 has had.

The 'intu' logo can be seen just above the letter 'r' on the side.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
citaro5284   28 Jan 2014, 6:17 am
(27 Jan 2014, 10:56 pm)gtomlinson wrote It's intu Metrocentre not Metrocentre.. If they can't even get the basics right

It does say intu above the Metrocentre on the sides with a picture of the bird they use you just cannot see it in the dark, so maybe they do have the basics right?
citaro5284   28 Jan 2014, 6:18 am
(27 Jan 2014, 11:06 pm)aureolin wrote You'd think the intu logo would be prominent if they were paying all or part towards the branding. It not being there makes me think they're not.

Got it in one!
Michael   28 Jan 2014, 8:59 am
Just come over the radio on the 4, theirs a diverson in Sunderland city centre on top of the one on vine place... should be fun this morning in the town

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Andreos1   28 Jan 2014, 9:34 am
No idea if there had been a 20 missing in action this morning, but 4990 was standing room only when it left Houghton at 7.20 this morning on an x20.
Chances are it will have carried a similar load into Durham as there's normally only a handful get off at Rainton Bridge at that time.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
CatsFast101   28 Jan 2014, 10:15 am
How are the streetlites coping then? I'm just guessing but there seems to a quite few missing most days, 5389/5390 both on 53/54 yesterday. A solar and renown both on 60's yesterday I'm wondering if these buses are coping well? Versas been off route on the drifter wasn't too common but it's odd if there more than 5/6 on 60's.
BJ10VUS   28 Jan 2014, 1:47 pm
(27 Jan 2014, 10:56 pm)gtomlinson wrote Agreed on the above

It's intu Metrocentre not Metrocentre.. If they can't even get the basics right

The Eldon Square services (e.g. 'Ten', 'Angel', 'Diamond' etc) don't display intu Eldon Square?
mattdw92   28 Jan 2014, 1:52 pm
(28 Jan 2014, 10:15 am)CatsFast101 wrote How are the streetlites coping then? I'm just guessing but there seems to a quite few missing most days, 5389/5390 both on 53/54 yesterday. A solar and renown both on 60's yesterday I'm wondering if these buses are coping well? Versas been off route on the drifter wasn't too common but it's odd if there more than 5/6 on 60's.

A Saltwell Park is currently at Smiles.
Looks to be having quite a bit of engine worked done.

When I first went out to get photographs of the Drifters, two failed to start first time at Park Lane.
citaro5284   28 Jan 2014, 2:51 pm
5347 up in the air at Riverside!
Attached Files
.jpg
20140128_091648 (1).jpg (Size 2.62 MB Downloads 55)
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   28 Jan 2014, 2:55 pm
(28 Jan 2014, 1:52 pm)mattdw92 wrote A Saltwell Park is currently at Smiles.
Looks to be having quite a bit of engine worked done.

I'd have expected it to go back to manufacturer if it's getting quite a bit of engine work done, being only 3 month old at best. I wonder where the other one is. There's been at least 2 VOR as of late

Adrian   28 Jan 2014, 2:57 pm
(28 Jan 2014, 2:51 pm)citaro5284 wrote 5347 up in the air at Riverside!

The branding looks really smart, but quite complex! Is it one continuous vinyl wrap?

Pages (60)    151 52 5360