Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Tyne and Wear Metro

Tyne and Wear Metro

Tyne and Wear Metro

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (146) Previous 1137 138 139146 Next
07 Nov 2022, 7:49 pm #2,741
(07 Nov 2022, 2:17 pm)Rob44 getting slated on the Sunderland forum i go on when Newcastle win.  Goes no where near where it needs to according to the majority.  White elephant??
Problem, as I pointed out on the echo Facebook page, is that Washington was developed around roads. the railway is on the very edge. Only possible stations would be Sulgrave/Seven Houses, Barmston and Fatfield, the latter the most unlikely because of development post districts. Certainly a park and rides near sulgrave would be extremely unappealing... 

I quite enjoy being a Newcastle fan in Sunderland, especially right now.

(07 Nov 2022, 5:56 pm)Unber43 Does the metro make money?
No.
Edited 07 Nov 2022, 7:51 pm by 54APhotography.
54APhotography
07 Nov 2022, 7:49 pm #2,741

(07 Nov 2022, 2:17 pm)Rob44 getting slated on the Sunderland forum i go on when Newcastle win.  Goes no where near where it needs to according to the majority.  White elephant??
Problem, as I pointed out on the echo Facebook page, is that Washington was developed around roads. the railway is on the very edge. Only possible stations would be Sulgrave/Seven Houses, Barmston and Fatfield, the latter the most unlikely because of development post districts. Certainly a park and rides near sulgrave would be extremely unappealing... 

(07 Nov 2022, 5:56 pm)Unber43 Does the metro make money?
No.

cbma06

07 Nov 2022, 8:02 pm #2,742
(07 Nov 2022, 7:49 pm)54APhotography Problem, as I pointed out on the echo Facebook page, is that Washington was developed around roads. the railway is on the very edge. Only possible stations would be Sulgrave/Seven Houses, Barmston and Fatfield, the latter the most unlikely because of development post districts. Certainly a park and rides near sulgrave would be extremely unappealing... 

Wasn’t the Tyne dock to consett line joined the top of leamside line then became the C2C cycle route to the east to west of Washington. Can easily take out cycle route and replace it with metro lines, been done before when metro was extended to south Hylton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
07 Nov 2022, 8:02 pm #2,742

(07 Nov 2022, 7:49 pm)54APhotography Problem, as I pointed out on the echo Facebook page, is that Washington was developed around roads. the railway is on the very edge. Only possible stations would be Sulgrave/Seven Houses, Barmston and Fatfield, the latter the most unlikely because of development post districts. Certainly a park and rides near sulgrave would be extremely unappealing... 

Wasn’t the Tyne dock to consett line joined the top of leamside line then became the C2C cycle route to the east to west of Washington. Can easily take out cycle route and replace it with metro lines, been done before when metro was extended to south Hylton

07 Nov 2022, 8:24 pm #2,743
(07 Nov 2022, 8:02 pm)cbma06 Wasn’t the Tyne dock to consett line joined the top of leamside line then became the C2C cycle route to the east to west of Washington. Can easily take out cycle route and replace it with metro lines, been done before when metro was extended to south Hylton

There is a path that runs alongside the Leamside from Seven Houses to Barmston. The C2C starts at Pattinson and uses mainly the trackbed to Consett. The metro would not impinge on the C2C route.
54APhotography
07 Nov 2022, 8:24 pm #2,743

(07 Nov 2022, 8:02 pm)cbma06 Wasn’t the Tyne dock to consett line joined the top of leamside line then became the C2C cycle route to the east to west of Washington. Can easily take out cycle route and replace it with metro lines, been done before when metro was extended to south Hylton

There is a path that runs alongside the Leamside from Seven Houses to Barmston. The C2C starts at Pattinson and uses mainly the trackbed to Consett. The metro would not impinge on the C2C route.

cbma06

07 Nov 2022, 8:35 pm #2,744
(07 Nov 2022, 8:24 pm)54APhotography There is a path that runs alongside the Leamside from Seven Houses to Barmston. The C2C starts at Pattinson and uses mainly the trackbed to Consett. The metro would not impinge on the C2C route.

Yea, the c2c cycle route could be potential metro extension case in about 200 years time , shame that there’s nothing exists for the Sunderland to consett line between Sunderland and Washington as the north Hylton business park in the way now

cbma06
07 Nov 2022, 8:35 pm #2,744

(07 Nov 2022, 8:24 pm)54APhotography There is a path that runs alongside the Leamside from Seven Houses to Barmston. The C2C starts at Pattinson and uses mainly the trackbed to Consett. The metro would not impinge on the C2C route.

Yea, the c2c cycle route could be potential metro extension case in about 200 years time , shame that there’s nothing exists for the Sunderland to consett line between Sunderland and Washington as the north Hylton business park in the way now

07 Nov 2022, 8:38 pm #2,745
(07 Nov 2022, 8:35 pm)cbma06 Yea, the c2c cycle route could be potential metro extension case in about 200 years time , shame that there’s nothing exists for the Sunderland to consett line between Sunderland and Washington as the north Hylton business park in the way now

Blimey now that would be a long poke! putting metros over the Queen Alex  Big Grin
54APhotography
07 Nov 2022, 8:38 pm #2,745

(07 Nov 2022, 8:35 pm)cbma06 Yea, the c2c cycle route could be potential metro extension case in about 200 years time , shame that there’s nothing exists for the Sunderland to consett line between Sunderland and Washington as the north Hylton business park in the way now

Blimey now that would be a long poke! putting metros over the Queen Alex  Big Grin

cbma06

07 Nov 2022, 8:46 pm #2,746
(07 Nov 2022, 8:38 pm)54APhotography Blimey now that would be a long poke! putting metros over the Queen Alex  Big Grin

I thought that aswell the Sunderland to consett went past millfield and over qa bridge but it looked the trains went over wearmouth bridge then left past wearmouth pit then straight along , there was a YouTube video a few years ago that a cyclist took a video of the journey from consett to Sunderland along the cycle route and near enough the route at the Sunderland section end of the route

cbma06
07 Nov 2022, 8:46 pm #2,746

(07 Nov 2022, 8:38 pm)54APhotography Blimey now that would be a long poke! putting metros over the Queen Alex  Big Grin

I thought that aswell the Sunderland to consett went past millfield and over qa bridge but it looked the trains went over wearmouth bridge then left past wearmouth pit then straight along , there was a YouTube video a few years ago that a cyclist took a video of the journey from consett to Sunderland along the cycle route and near enough the route at the Sunderland section end of the route

07 Nov 2022, 9:03 pm #2,747
(07 Nov 2022, 8:46 pm)cbma06 I thought that aswell the Sunderland to consett went past millfield and over qa bridge but it looked the trains went over wearmouth  bridge then left past wearmouth pit then straight along , there was a YouTube video a few years ago that a cyclist took a video of the journey from consett to Sunderland along the cycle route and near enough the route at the Sunderland section end of the route

Aye a reversal at Monkwearmouth would have enabled access to the old line, but even that closed relatively early. The QA would have been the most appropriate route but closed only 11 years after opening. Certainly, today the cheapest route for Nexus is the Leamside and to Hylton with a small chord at the south end of the Victoria viaduct
54APhotography
07 Nov 2022, 9:03 pm #2,747

(07 Nov 2022, 8:46 pm)cbma06 I thought that aswell the Sunderland to consett went past millfield and over qa bridge but it looked the trains went over wearmouth  bridge then left past wearmouth pit then straight along , there was a YouTube video a few years ago that a cyclist took a video of the journey from consett to Sunderland along the cycle route and near enough the route at the Sunderland section end of the route

Aye a reversal at Monkwearmouth would have enabled access to the old line, but even that closed relatively early. The QA would have been the most appropriate route but closed only 11 years after opening. Certainly, today the cheapest route for Nexus is the Leamside and to Hylton with a small chord at the south end of the Victoria viaduct

Unber43

08 Nov 2022, 6:32 am #2,748

No.
If the metro doesn't make money, it shouldn't happen. 

Really if the metro is losing money, it might be millions each year, it should be shut, except it won't be as that would be too expensive.
Unber43
08 Nov 2022, 6:32 am #2,748

No.
If the metro doesn't make money, it shouldn't happen. 

Really if the metro is losing money, it might be millions each year, it should be shut, except it won't be as that would be too expensive.

08 Nov 2022, 8:17 am #2,749
(08 Nov 2022, 6:32 am)Unber43 If the metro doesn't make money, it shouldn't happen. 

It's a public service, funded by ticket receipts, local authority and the DfT. 

It does not make a profit. It won't be closed, and it won't have three or four operators fighting over track access.
54APhotography
08 Nov 2022, 8:17 am #2,749

(08 Nov 2022, 6:32 am)Unber43 If the metro doesn't make money, it shouldn't happen. 

It's a public service, funded by ticket receipts, local authority and the DfT. 

It does not make a profit. It won't be closed, and it won't have three or four operators fighting over track access.

Rob44

08 Nov 2022, 8:19 am #2,750
It would make money if they went to a london system with barriers/staff at evey station. the crocodiel was coming back from sheilds a while ago and these chav s ( her words) were on. they wanted to be in gateshead centre but decided to get off a gateshead stadium as they didnt have tickets and thought there would be checkies at gateshead. half a dozen of them... £12 quid minimum lost
Rob44
08 Nov 2022, 8:19 am #2,750

It would make money if they went to a london system with barriers/staff at evey station. the crocodiel was coming back from sheilds a while ago and these chav s ( her words) were on. they wanted to be in gateshead centre but decided to get off a gateshead stadium as they didnt have tickets and thought there would be checkies at gateshead. half a dozen of them... £12 quid minimum lost

Unber43

08 Nov 2022, 8:45 am #2,751
(08 Nov 2022, 8:19 am)Rob44 It would make money if they went to a london system with barriers/staff at evey station.  the crocodiel was coming back from sheilds a while ago and these chav s ( her words) were on. they wanted to be in gateshead centre but decided to get off a gateshead stadium as they didnt have tickets and thought there would be checkies at gateshead. half a dozen of them... £12 quid minimum lost
Oh yeah, it happens loads everyone gets off at Gateshead Stadium so they travel for free, aswell as loads get the under 15 ticket, even tho they're older.

(08 Nov 2022, 8:17 am)54APhotography It's a public service, funded by ticket receipts, local authority and the DfT. 

Its a public service which loses millions, if it was a bus company it would be closed, its just because it would be too expensive to close which is why it is still open.
Edited 08 Nov 2022, 8:46 am by Unber43.
Unber43
08 Nov 2022, 8:45 am #2,751

(08 Nov 2022, 8:19 am)Rob44 It would make money if they went to a london system with barriers/staff at evey station.  the crocodiel was coming back from sheilds a while ago and these chav s ( her words) were on. they wanted to be in gateshead centre but decided to get off a gateshead stadium as they didnt have tickets and thought there would be checkies at gateshead. half a dozen of them... £12 quid minimum lost
Oh yeah, it happens loads everyone gets off at Gateshead Stadium so they travel for free, aswell as loads get the under 15 ticket, even tho they're older.

(08 Nov 2022, 8:17 am)54APhotography It's a public service, funded by ticket receipts, local authority and the DfT. 

Its a public service which loses millions, if it was a bus company it would be closed, its just because it would be too expensive to close which is why it is still open.

08 Nov 2022, 8:53 am #2,752
Revenue protection is a massive failure as we all know, not sure what the last estimate of loss was, but it was substantial. Should be barriers at every station.

(08 Nov 2022, 8:45 am)Unber43 Oh yeah, it happens loads everyone gets off at Gateshead Stadium so they travel for free, aswell as loads get the under 15 ticket, even tho they're older.

Nowhere did I say it lost millions, the metro is the last bastion of public service we have. It isn't closing and that is that. alternative ticketing it being explored with may go towards ending the fare evasion that goes on.
Edited 08 Nov 2022, 8:56 am by 54APhotography.
54APhotography
08 Nov 2022, 8:53 am #2,752

Revenue protection is a massive failure as we all know, not sure what the last estimate of loss was, but it was substantial. Should be barriers at every station.

(08 Nov 2022, 8:45 am)Unber43 Oh yeah, it happens loads everyone gets off at Gateshead Stadium so they travel for free, aswell as loads get the under 15 ticket, even tho they're older.

Nowhere did I say it lost millions, the metro is the last bastion of public service we have. It isn't closing and that is that. alternative ticketing it being explored with may go towards ending the fare evasion that goes on.

Storx

08 Nov 2022, 10:38 pm #2,753

It appears they did go over the QE Bridge at some point aswell as via Monkwearmouth Colliery (Stadium of Light)

https://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php - There's a good map here showing most the old rail lines. If only we had a network like it nowadays.
Storx
08 Nov 2022, 10:38 pm #2,753

It appears they did go over the QE Bridge at some point aswell as via Monkwearmouth Colliery (Stadium of Light)

https://www.railmaponline.com/UKIEMap.php - There's a good map here showing most the old rail lines. If only we had a network like it nowadays.

Adrian

09 Nov 2022, 6:38 pm #2,754
(07 Nov 2022, 1:04 pm)54APhotography https://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/busin...washington

Nexus building their business case for funding of the Pelaw-South Hylton extension

The business case is in the latest JTC agenda pack: https://northeastca.gov.uk/wp-content/up...1.2022.pdf
Page 169 - 188

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
09 Nov 2022, 6:38 pm #2,754

(07 Nov 2022, 1:04 pm)54APhotography https://www.nexus.org.uk/news/item/busin...washington

Nexus building their business case for funding of the Pelaw-South Hylton extension

The business case is in the latest JTC agenda pack: https://northeastca.gov.uk/wp-content/up...1.2022.pdf
Page 169 - 188

Michael

14 Nov 2022, 8:57 pm #2,755
Metro is early with its Christmas info - no timetables yet though.

https://www.nexus.org.uk/metro/updates?o...le-updates

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
14 Nov 2022, 8:57 pm #2,755

Metro is early with its Christmas info - no timetables yet though.

https://www.nexus.org.uk/metro/updates?o...le-updates

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

ALavery

14 Nov 2022, 11:42 pm #2,756
(09 Nov 2022, 6:38 pm)Adrian The business case is in the latest JTC agenda pack: https://northeastca.gov.uk/wp-content/up...1.2022.pdf
Page 169 - 188

That green lane station idea is genuinely pointless, one station In an area with three to use. A better idea would be to run it down the old trackbed in biddick hall which could have a potential two new stations, connecting people who genuinely don't have a metro service and a shorter less painful journey to east boldon. I also don’t know why they don’t on the washington line terminate it at shiney row, adding a station at penshaw then instead of creating loops it’s just one line. I know this is extremely ambitious but they could run the metro through cobalt making use of the old 3rd platform at north shields then taking a left at the top of the line and continuing to shiney or South Shields.
ALavery
14 Nov 2022, 11:42 pm #2,756

(09 Nov 2022, 6:38 pm)Adrian The business case is in the latest JTC agenda pack: https://northeastca.gov.uk/wp-content/up...1.2022.pdf
Page 169 - 188

That green lane station idea is genuinely pointless, one station In an area with three to use. A better idea would be to run it down the old trackbed in biddick hall which could have a potential two new stations, connecting people who genuinely don't have a metro service and a shorter less painful journey to east boldon. I also don’t know why they don’t on the washington line terminate it at shiney row, adding a station at penshaw then instead of creating loops it’s just one line. I know this is extremely ambitious but they could run the metro through cobalt making use of the old 3rd platform at north shields then taking a left at the top of the line and continuing to shiney or South Shields.

17 Nov 2022, 8:51 pm #2,757
(14 Nov 2022, 11:42 pm)ALavery That green lane station idea is genuinely pointless, one station In an area with three to use. A better idea would be to run it down the old trackbed in biddick hall which could have a potential two new stations, connecting people who genuinely don't have a metro service and a shorter less painful journey to east boldon. I also don’t know why they don’t on the washington line terminate it at shiney row, adding a station at penshaw then instead of creating loops it’s just one line. I know this is extremely ambitious but they could run the metro through cobalt making use of the old 3rd platform at north shields then taking a left at the top of the line and continuing to shiney or South Shields.
I agree with you Green Lane comment, but the entire idea of a line from Tyne Dock to East Boldon is pointless. Nobody goes from Green Lane or Biddick Hall to East Boldon, there's nothing there.. Stagecoach and Go serve the areas that yield custom between Shields and Sunderland. The route south of Washington won't go to Penshaw, it turns left after the viaduct, the loop is the only option and one that should have been done when the money was available from the development fund. Penshaw would gain a station on the heavy rail route from Pelaw to Durham via Brasside or Stockton via Ferryhill.
54APhotography
17 Nov 2022, 8:51 pm #2,757

(14 Nov 2022, 11:42 pm)ALavery That green lane station idea is genuinely pointless, one station In an area with three to use. A better idea would be to run it down the old trackbed in biddick hall which could have a potential two new stations, connecting people who genuinely don't have a metro service and a shorter less painful journey to east boldon. I also don’t know why they don’t on the washington line terminate it at shiney row, adding a station at penshaw then instead of creating loops it’s just one line. I know this is extremely ambitious but they could run the metro through cobalt making use of the old 3rd platform at north shields then taking a left at the top of the line and continuing to shiney or South Shields.
I agree with you Green Lane comment, but the entire idea of a line from Tyne Dock to East Boldon is pointless. Nobody goes from Green Lane or Biddick Hall to East Boldon, there's nothing there.. Stagecoach and Go serve the areas that yield custom between Shields and Sunderland. The route south of Washington won't go to Penshaw, it turns left after the viaduct, the loop is the only option and one that should have been done when the money was available from the development fund. Penshaw would gain a station on the heavy rail route from Pelaw to Durham via Brasside or Stockton via Ferryhill.

Adrian

17 Nov 2022, 9:29 pm #2,758
(17 Nov 2022, 8:51 pm)54APhotography I agree with you Green Lane comment, but the entire idea of a line from Tyne Dock to East Boldon is pointless. Nobody goes from Green Lane or Biddick Hall to East Boldon, there's nothing there.. Stagecoach and Go serve the areas that yield custom between Shields and Sunderland. The route south of Washington won't go to Penshaw, it turns left after the viaduct, the loop is the only option and one that should have been done when the money was available from the development fund. Penshaw would gain a station on the heavy rail route from Pelaw to Durham via Brasside or Stockton via Ferryhill.

I tend to agree too. Especially when you look at the financial risk of DS6 (which includes the Tyne Dock to East Boldon link) vs DS8, which would still deliver the Wearside loop. Given that it's still linked by a relatively quick bus journey time on the 24.

I think if they got the Wearside loop signed off and started, then it'd give even more potential to reopening the Leamside in full. I assume the biggest cost to reopening is the structural work required on the Victoria Viaduct, and where the banking has collapsed through the Barmston area.

For me, the most problematic part of this, is the location for the Washington South station. Now I understand they're restricted by where the track bed runs, but from the diagrams, they've gone for the old station site on Swan Road/next to Barmston Court. This wouldn't give the station any kind of parking, it's not very accessible by foot, which means you're left on the whim of a bus operator to get you there. At least the North one will be in between two developments.

Adrian
17 Nov 2022, 9:29 pm #2,758

(17 Nov 2022, 8:51 pm)54APhotography I agree with you Green Lane comment, but the entire idea of a line from Tyne Dock to East Boldon is pointless. Nobody goes from Green Lane or Biddick Hall to East Boldon, there's nothing there.. Stagecoach and Go serve the areas that yield custom between Shields and Sunderland. The route south of Washington won't go to Penshaw, it turns left after the viaduct, the loop is the only option and one that should have been done when the money was available from the development fund. Penshaw would gain a station on the heavy rail route from Pelaw to Durham via Brasside or Stockton via Ferryhill.

I tend to agree too. Especially when you look at the financial risk of DS6 (which includes the Tyne Dock to East Boldon link) vs DS8, which would still deliver the Wearside loop. Given that it's still linked by a relatively quick bus journey time on the 24.

I think if they got the Wearside loop signed off and started, then it'd give even more potential to reopening the Leamside in full. I assume the biggest cost to reopening is the structural work required on the Victoria Viaduct, and where the banking has collapsed through the Barmston area.

For me, the most problematic part of this, is the location for the Washington South station. Now I understand they're restricted by where the track bed runs, but from the diagrams, they've gone for the old station site on Swan Road/next to Barmston Court. This wouldn't give the station any kind of parking, it's not very accessible by foot, which means you're left on the whim of a bus operator to get you there. At least the North one will be in between two developments.

17 Nov 2022, 9:45 pm #2,759
(17 Nov 2022, 9:29 pm)Adrian I tend to agree too. Especially when you look at the financial risk of DS6 (which includes the Tyne Dock to East Boldon link) vs DS8, which would still deliver the Wearside loop. Given that it's still linked by a relatively quick bus journey time on the 24.

Indeed the Barmston site would have little parking, the line does highlight how Wahington was developed with only roads in mind. I understand they also looked at the curve at between Pattinson and Fatfield, again though parking would be seriously hampered and it would be accessible only from the new build estate. Of course the work at Barmston and on the Victoria must be executed to heavy rail standards.

I also can't see any yield from a chord from Pelaw to Hebburn, the sheer land cost of that and heavy civils to create an embankment on land that naturally falls away to the river is staggering in conception.
54APhotography
17 Nov 2022, 9:45 pm #2,759

(17 Nov 2022, 9:29 pm)Adrian I tend to agree too. Especially when you look at the financial risk of DS6 (which includes the Tyne Dock to East Boldon link) vs DS8, which would still deliver the Wearside loop. Given that it's still linked by a relatively quick bus journey time on the 24.

Indeed the Barmston site would have little parking, the line does highlight how Wahington was developed with only roads in mind. I understand they also looked at the curve at between Pattinson and Fatfield, again though parking would be seriously hampered and it would be accessible only from the new build estate. Of course the work at Barmston and on the Victoria must be executed to heavy rail standards.

I also can't see any yield from a chord from Pelaw to Hebburn, the sheer land cost of that and heavy civils to create an embankment on land that naturally falls away to the river is staggering in conception.

Rob44

20 Nov 2022, 7:25 pm #2,760
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...n-25555720

chronicle readers who live/work in washington think it will be a great idea.

Don't really know the place that well. I just visit the pubs so hopefully there will be a stop next to a few of them
Rob44
20 Nov 2022, 7:25 pm #2,760

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...n-25555720

chronicle readers who live/work in washington think it will be a great idea.

Don't really know the place that well. I just visit the pubs so hopefully there will be a stop next to a few of them

Pages (146) Previous 1137 138 139146 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average