Menu

North East Buses The Bus Scene Elsewhere Bus Operators TransDev Group

TransDev Group

TransDev Group

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (2) 1 2 Next
Unber43

21 Feb 2023, 9:35 pm #1
Rosso have cancelled their routes 4,6,15,18,64,65,66 (67), 68,69 which is all the Ribble Country Network + 153 

Yet another set of cancellations from the TransDev group, does anyone know of they made any profit last year?
Unber43
21 Feb 2023, 9:35 pm #1

Rosso have cancelled their routes 4,6,15,18,64,65,66 (67), 68,69 which is all the Ribble Country Network + 153 

Yet another set of cancellations from the TransDev group, does anyone know of they made any profit last year?

21 Feb 2023, 11:22 pm #2
They are all contracted services.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.
Rapidsnap
21 Feb 2023, 11:22 pm #2

They are all contracted services.

Please feel free to visit my Flickr page - https://www.flickr.com/photos/gjm-photogenic/
Who needs heroes anyway? Villians have more fun.

Jimmi

22 Feb 2023, 12:19 am #3
Various restructuring is taking place across the Transdev network this year.

Things such as the upcoming end of the bus recovery grant plus rising costs has made some services no longer viable.

Including the above, some tendered services are going the distance as they no longer wish to operate them for whatever reason, believe the tendered price of some of their contracts no longer cover the operational costs so many are going out for retender, these are the latest casualties to surface online at least but it's already started occurring, services in the Otley and Ilkley areas under the 'Wharfedale Links' and 'Otley Dash' brands were offloaded last weekend with some of the daytime services now being covered by Connexionsbuses, others are currently suspended as no operator has yet been found to run the services and part of the Otley Dash (now 965 again) route is now covered by an extended Flyer A3 service on evenings and Sundays. More contracts are expected to be offloaded and/or put out for retender from what I've heard.

Commercial services are impacted too, two I noticed yesterday was Team Pennine services 262 and 319 which are registered for withdrawal, although these examples are at least duplicating routes run by other companies.

One of the high profile routes at risk of being lost is the Coastliner 840 between Malton, Thornton-le-Dale & extending to Whitby generally every 2 hours which has seen multiple petitions put out in order to save it although North Yorkshire County Council supposedly need to find ways in supporting around 80 services across the county, one other example being the 24 between Harrogate and Pateley Bridge which has been given funding to support the service (for either the next year or two, can't remember the time frame), other examples include the 70 run by Reliance and the 18 run by Coatham Coaches which were both commercial until recently and currently running on short term contracts whilst they judge if they're worth continuing to fund.

Think we'll be seeing cuts like this across the country with various companies in the next year or so, already seeing many services being registered for cancellation or revised in some form.
Jimmi
22 Feb 2023, 12:19 am #3

Various restructuring is taking place across the Transdev network this year.

Things such as the upcoming end of the bus recovery grant plus rising costs has made some services no longer viable.

Including the above, some tendered services are going the distance as they no longer wish to operate them for whatever reason, believe the tendered price of some of their contracts no longer cover the operational costs so many are going out for retender, these are the latest casualties to surface online at least but it's already started occurring, services in the Otley and Ilkley areas under the 'Wharfedale Links' and 'Otley Dash' brands were offloaded last weekend with some of the daytime services now being covered by Connexionsbuses, others are currently suspended as no operator has yet been found to run the services and part of the Otley Dash (now 965 again) route is now covered by an extended Flyer A3 service on evenings and Sundays. More contracts are expected to be offloaded and/or put out for retender from what I've heard.

Commercial services are impacted too, two I noticed yesterday was Team Pennine services 262 and 319 which are registered for withdrawal, although these examples are at least duplicating routes run by other companies.

One of the high profile routes at risk of being lost is the Coastliner 840 between Malton, Thornton-le-Dale & extending to Whitby generally every 2 hours which has seen multiple petitions put out in order to save it although North Yorkshire County Council supposedly need to find ways in supporting around 80 services across the county, one other example being the 24 between Harrogate and Pateley Bridge which has been given funding to support the service (for either the next year or two, can't remember the time frame), other examples include the 70 run by Reliance and the 18 run by Coatham Coaches which were both commercial until recently and currently running on short term contracts whilst they judge if they're worth continuing to fund.

Think we'll be seeing cuts like this across the country with various companies in the next year or so, already seeing many services being registered for cancellation or revised in some form.

Unber43

22 Feb 2023, 4:30 pm #4
Also with their entirety of the Ribble Country Network being lost (18) + 5 off the 153 I wonder whats going to happen to them, a suggestion could be they replace older Mellors, and the older ones be sold.

However as transDev like to change the interior of the bus with every brand i can imagine it being a nightmare to change.
Unber43
22 Feb 2023, 4:30 pm #4

Also with their entirety of the Ribble Country Network being lost (18) + 5 off the 153 I wonder whats going to happen to them, a suggestion could be they replace older Mellors, and the older ones be sold.

However as transDev like to change the interior of the bus with every brand i can imagine it being a nightmare to change.

Andreos1

22 Feb 2023, 4:42 pm #5
(22 Feb 2023, 12:19 am)Jimmi Various restructuring is taking place across the Transdev network this year.

What's that Jimmi? Copy and paste liveries along with funky interiors hasn't driven growth and made these routes viable? 

Well knock me down and tickle my toes with a little feather. There's a shock! 

Time to stop the gravy train and jobs for the boys me thinks!

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
22 Feb 2023, 4:42 pm #5

(22 Feb 2023, 12:19 am)Jimmi Various restructuring is taking place across the Transdev network this year.

What's that Jimmi? Copy and paste liveries along with funky interiors hasn't driven growth and made these routes viable? 

Adrian

22 Feb 2023, 5:07 pm #6
(22 Feb 2023, 4:42 pm)Andreos1 What's that Jimmi? Copy and paste liveries along with funky interiors hasn't driven growth and made these routes viable? 

Funnily enough, I thought exactly the same! 

You'd think Coastliner was raking it in, the way Hornby, Stenning and the rest of the old boys network go on about it, but the reality is it's time for a big whopping begging bowl to be headed in the local authority's direction.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
22 Feb 2023, 5:07 pm #6

(22 Feb 2023, 4:42 pm)Andreos1 What's that Jimmi? Copy and paste liveries along with funky interiors hasn't driven growth and made these routes viable? 

Funnily enough, I thought exactly the same! 

You'd think Coastliner was raking it in, the way Hornby, Stenning and the rest of the old boys network go on about it, but the reality is it's time for a big whopping begging bowl to be headed in the local authority's direction.

Jimmi

22 Feb 2023, 5:39 pm #7
(22 Feb 2023, 5:07 pm)Adrian Funnily enough, I thought exactly the same! 

I've thought this for a while too tbh, brandings is something that is far too heavily banked on, I imagine it has some benefits but not as much as some would have you believe. Have seen a figure on another forum that suggests the cost to Best Impressions has been in the ballpark of £236k over the last 2 years.

As for Coastliner, supposedly the 843 to Scarborough does alright but "Britain's Most Scenic Bus Route" the 840 section between Malton and Thornton-le-Dale/Whitby doesn't so much, apart from some points in peak summer, I see somewhere in the region of anything from 10-30 people on it when I've seen it depart Whitby, most of whom are concession pass holders with NYCC providing one of the worst rates for bus pass reimbursement rates across the country (supposedly a few year back they tried to class the 840 as either an express or tourist service so that concession bus passes couldn't be used for free travel but that never took off). I'm sure the 840 used to have some level of council support on the Thornton-le-Dale to Whitby stretch in the winter months but unsure if this is still the case. It seems heavily pushing people to vote in a Twitter poll to win some title that looks good on articles/publicity potentially isn't enough to save a service and retain/grow passenger numbers either!

I've seen suggestions in a leak that York depot was losing in the region of £500k a year whilst Malton was losing around £1 million in a year. The total loss in 2022 was suggested to be £4.9 million overall once fuel and living wage costs/rises plus reduction in fuel duty rebates were factored in.

Copied from Ray Ramsay on a Facebook post

"You may be aware that both myself and XX attended a business review meeting on the 14th November.

At that meeting we were informed that the company had some serious issues to tackle and as such some serious actions it intended to take, 2022’s figures were showing a significant loss.

It was reported that Malton depot was losing around £1 million per year and that York depot was losing around £500,000 per year – clearly the losses cannot continue.

The losses were identified as stemming from the bus recovery grant, which the company had enjoyed since Covid, being assumed to cease at the end of March 2023, coupled with a massive increase in the cost of Gas, Electricity and Diesel.

The Fuel Duty rebate which public service operators enjoy is also due to be reduced. Inflation is currently above 10% and also there will be an increase in the Living Wage of 6.6%. – the increase in fuel costing the company over £3 million in itself.
In real terms this equates to a £4.9 million loss to the business for 2022.

Therefore in an attempt to stem the loss the company has decided that there will be no new buses (except for the ones currently ordered and paid for) for 2022/2023, there will be a 12% commercial fare increase in April of 2023.

We were shown a chart which was listing services in 4 categories, 1 - Making Money, 2 - Good but could be improved, 3 - Losing money For Retender, 4 - for Exit.

City Sightseeing services were in category 1 and will be retained for 2023 with a full service planned as well as improvements to increase efficiency.

Coastliner was in category 2 where improvements will be made to reduce waste as well as increase efficiency, and the Whitby service is planned to be withdrawn unless a tender is offered. If a tender were to be offered on this service then the company would actively bid for it.

In York the local services, Castleline and the NY Sponsored services were in category 4, and are not making money so it is proposed in April 2023 to put these services back to the Council for retender. The company will retender for these services, but at a vastly improved rate to the one we currently have. There may also be a possibility at this stage that First York could reduce some of their services and there is a possibility that we could pick up some of their runs after tenders are issued.

Service 22/23 was earmarked in category 4 for withdrawal in April 2023 (the company may retender but it is not known at this time if that will be the case).

I asked the question - was York and Coastliner going to be merged together due to the new depot being built at Rawcliffe? – the answer was simply “nothing is off the table”- it was also said that the company will look to reduce the operational scope of both York and Malton depots and focus on strong commercial bus operation.

In light of the cost-cutting taking place the “Amazing Awards” have been cancelled for this year as it’s hard to be seen to be celebrating success whilst making cuts – and the magazine that gets delivered to our homes on a regular basis is to be withdrawn. The bonus for joining the company will also be gradually withdrawn.

Contract Engineers would also be phased out – with the company looking to recruit and retain its own employed staff.

One standard uniform across the group will be introduced next year to further cut costs.

With all these cuts - the company would still see a loss for 2022 of £250,000, not good but far better than several million.

On a positive note – I can confirm that the move to Rawcliffe is still on and we at York are still on track to be moving there in early January, a temporary workshop will be erected shortly and portable buildings will be delivered for us to work out of, a small extension to the end of January has been agreed for Hospital Fields Road and this is expected to allow the movement of equipment to the new site.

That’s all the news for now – anything new or any updates I’ll let you know as soon as I find out.

Trade Union Rep.

PRESUME ALL OPCOS OF TRANSDEV WILL BE FACING SIMILAR CUTS"
Jimmi
22 Feb 2023, 5:39 pm #7

(22 Feb 2023, 5:07 pm)Adrian Funnily enough, I thought exactly the same! 

I've thought this for a while too tbh, brandings is something that is far too heavily banked on, I imagine it has some benefits but not as much as some would have you believe. Have seen a figure on another forum that suggests the cost to Best Impressions has been in the ballpark of £236k over the last 2 years.

As for Coastliner, supposedly the 843 to Scarborough does alright but "Britain's Most Scenic Bus Route" the 840 section between Malton and Thornton-le-Dale/Whitby doesn't so much, apart from some points in peak summer, I see somewhere in the region of anything from 10-30 people on it when I've seen it depart Whitby, most of whom are concession pass holders with NYCC providing one of the worst rates for bus pass reimbursement rates across the country (supposedly a few year back they tried to class the 840 as either an express or tourist service so that concession bus passes couldn't be used for free travel but that never took off). I'm sure the 840 used to have some level of council support on the Thornton-le-Dale to Whitby stretch in the winter months but unsure if this is still the case. It seems heavily pushing people to vote in a Twitter poll to win some title that looks good on articles/publicity potentially isn't enough to save a service and retain/grow passenger numbers either!

I've seen suggestions in a leak that York depot was losing in the region of £500k a year whilst Malton was losing around £1 million in a year. The total loss in 2022 was suggested to be £4.9 million overall once fuel and living wage costs/rises plus reduction in fuel duty rebates were factored in.

Copied from Ray Ramsay on a Facebook post

"You may be aware that both myself and XX attended a business review meeting on the 14th November.

At that meeting we were informed that the company had some serious issues to tackle and as such some serious actions it intended to take, 2022’s figures were showing a significant loss.

It was reported that Malton depot was losing around £1 million per year and that York depot was losing around £500,000 per year – clearly the losses cannot continue.

The losses were identified as stemming from the bus recovery grant, which the company had enjoyed since Covid, being assumed to cease at the end of March 2023, coupled with a massive increase in the cost of Gas, Electricity and Diesel.

The Fuel Duty rebate which public service operators enjoy is also due to be reduced. Inflation is currently above 10% and also there will be an increase in the Living Wage of 6.6%. – the increase in fuel costing the company over £3 million in itself.
In real terms this equates to a £4.9 million loss to the business for 2022.

Therefore in an attempt to stem the loss the company has decided that there will be no new buses (except for the ones currently ordered and paid for) for 2022/2023, there will be a 12% commercial fare increase in April of 2023.

We were shown a chart which was listing services in 4 categories, 1 - Making Money, 2 - Good but could be improved, 3 - Losing money For Retender, 4 - for Exit.

City Sightseeing services were in category 1 and will be retained for 2023 with a full service planned as well as improvements to increase efficiency.

Coastliner was in category 2 where improvements will be made to reduce waste as well as increase efficiency, and the Whitby service is planned to be withdrawn unless a tender is offered. If a tender were to be offered on this service then the company would actively bid for it.

In York the local services, Castleline and the NY Sponsored services were in category 4, and are not making money so it is proposed in April 2023 to put these services back to the Council for retender. The company will retender for these services, but at a vastly improved rate to the one we currently have. There may also be a possibility at this stage that First York could reduce some of their services and there is a possibility that we could pick up some of their runs after tenders are issued.

Service 22/23 was earmarked in category 4 for withdrawal in April 2023 (the company may retender but it is not known at this time if that will be the case).

I asked the question - was York and Coastliner going to be merged together due to the new depot being built at Rawcliffe? – the answer was simply “nothing is off the table”- it was also said that the company will look to reduce the operational scope of both York and Malton depots and focus on strong commercial bus operation.

In light of the cost-cutting taking place the “Amazing Awards” have been cancelled for this year as it’s hard to be seen to be celebrating success whilst making cuts – and the magazine that gets delivered to our homes on a regular basis is to be withdrawn. The bonus for joining the company will also be gradually withdrawn.

Contract Engineers would also be phased out – with the company looking to recruit and retain its own employed staff.

One standard uniform across the group will be introduced next year to further cut costs.

With all these cuts - the company would still see a loss for 2022 of £250,000, not good but far better than several million.

On a positive note – I can confirm that the move to Rawcliffe is still on and we at York are still on track to be moving there in early January, a temporary workshop will be erected shortly and portable buildings will be delivered for us to work out of, a small extension to the end of January has been agreed for Hospital Fields Road and this is expected to allow the movement of equipment to the new site.

That’s all the news for now – anything new or any updates I’ll let you know as soon as I find out.

Trade Union Rep.

PRESUME ALL OPCOS OF TRANSDEV WILL BE FACING SIMILAR CUTS"

Unber43

22 Feb 2023, 6:44 pm #8
(22 Feb 2023, 5:39 pm)Jimmi I've thought this for a while too tbh, brandings is something that is far too heavily banked on, I imagine it has some benefits but not as much as some would have you believe. Have seen a figure on another forum that suggests the cost to Best Impressions has been in the ballpark of £236k over the last 2 years.

£5 Million YIKES 

Also £236K over two years just to make liveries on paper, that is going to drop. 

How much do they charge per livery, surely someone could just make one inside GNE
Unber43
22 Feb 2023, 6:44 pm #8

(22 Feb 2023, 5:39 pm)Jimmi I've thought this for a while too tbh, brandings is something that is far too heavily banked on, I imagine it has some benefits but not as much as some would have you believe. Have seen a figure on another forum that suggests the cost to Best Impressions has been in the ballpark of £236k over the last 2 years.

£5 Million YIKES 

Also £236K over two years just to make liveries on paper, that is going to drop. 

How much do they charge per livery, surely someone could just make one inside GNE

Dan

Site Administrator

22 Feb 2023, 6:53 pm #9
(22 Feb 2023, 6:44 pm)Unber43 £5 Million YIKES 

Why would someone at Go North East design liveries for Transdev?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan
22 Feb 2023, 6:53 pm #9

(22 Feb 2023, 6:44 pm)Unber43 £5 Million YIKES 

Why would someone at Go North East design liveries for Transdev?

Adrian

22 Feb 2023, 7:02 pm #10
(22 Feb 2023, 6:53 pm)Dan Why would someone at Go North East design liveries for Transdev?

Why not? How are your MS Paint skills??!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Adrian
22 Feb 2023, 7:02 pm #10

(22 Feb 2023, 6:53 pm)Dan Why would someone at Go North East design liveries for Transdev?

Why not? How are your MS Paint skills??!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

Unber43

22 Feb 2023, 7:04 pm #11

a) extra income.

Hire someone with basic paint skills then charge £1K per livery
Unber43
22 Feb 2023, 7:04 pm #11

a) extra income.

Hire someone with basic paint skills then charge £1K per livery

DeltaMan

23 Feb 2023, 4:58 pm #12
What if the local authority puts clauses in contracts allowing operators to walk away if the council has provided inaccurate passenger and revenue data during the tender process. Or if inflation exceeded the amount stated in the contract. Should Transdev just lump it?

I'd also argue the Malton/Whitby leg is not viable under any operating model without a hefty subsidy. It will be costing Transdev around £150 on each round trip between Malton and Whitby. So, unless there are a lot of Heartbeat fans around and NYCC suddenly have a generous ENCTS reimbursement then they'll never get close to that on most days. But yeah, it's Ray Stennings fault
DeltaMan
23 Feb 2023, 4:58 pm #12

What if the local authority puts clauses in contracts allowing operators to walk away if the council has provided inaccurate passenger and revenue data during the tender process. Or if inflation exceeded the amount stated in the contract. Should Transdev just lump it?

I'd also argue the Malton/Whitby leg is not viable under any operating model without a hefty subsidy. It will be costing Transdev around £150 on each round trip between Malton and Whitby. So, unless there are a lot of Heartbeat fans around and NYCC suddenly have a generous ENCTS reimbursement then they'll never get close to that on most days. But yeah, it's Ray Stennings fault

Unber43

23 Feb 2023, 9:05 pm #13
TransDev is also an operator who puts on the number on the Cab side. 

Wonder if they'll go back to having it on the nearside
Unber43
23 Feb 2023, 9:05 pm #13

TransDev is also an operator who puts on the number on the Cab side. 

Wonder if they'll go back to having it on the nearside

Adrian

24 Feb 2023, 10:09 am #14
(23 Feb 2023, 4:58 pm)DeltaMan What if the local authority puts clauses in contracts allowing operators to walk away if the council has provided inaccurate passenger and revenue data during the tender process. Or if inflation exceeded the amount stated in the contract. Should Transdev just lump it?

Have you any evidence of the (or any) local authority providing inaccurate figures? It'd be criminal matter as it's fraud and deception, never mind the operators needing to walk away.

Regarding the 840, I think the point being made is why isn't it standing on it's own two feet, if all this Best Impressions product branding is as good as his network of friends suggest it is? If it's not bringing in footfall, then what are the tangible benefits from spending fortunes on branding buses and creating a 'luxury' interior? It's not Ray Stenning's fault, but at some stage he needs to back up his ideology of customer experience with a measurable outcome.

Adrian
24 Feb 2023, 10:09 am #14

(23 Feb 2023, 4:58 pm)DeltaMan What if the local authority puts clauses in contracts allowing operators to walk away if the council has provided inaccurate passenger and revenue data during the tender process. Or if inflation exceeded the amount stated in the contract. Should Transdev just lump it?

Have you any evidence of the (or any) local authority providing inaccurate figures? It'd be criminal matter as it's fraud and deception, never mind the operators needing to walk away.

Regarding the 840, I think the point being made is why isn't it standing on it's own two feet, if all this Best Impressions product branding is as good as his network of friends suggest it is? If it's not bringing in footfall, then what are the tangible benefits from spending fortunes on branding buses and creating a 'luxury' interior? It's not Ray Stenning's fault, but at some stage he needs to back up his ideology of customer experience with a measurable outcome.

Andreos1

24 Feb 2023, 12:17 pm #15
(24 Feb 2023, 10:09 am)Adrian Have you any evidence of the (or any) local authority providing inaccurate figures? It'd be criminal matter as it's fraud and deception, never mind the operators needing to walk away. 

I'd assume any operator worth their salt would have done some due-diligence on any route.
Tender, council provided data or anything else. 

It's just incompetence otherwise.

I'm not sure anyone said it was. 

There were comments around the fixation and reliance on his ideologies. 
Not just within the Coastliner series of routes, but across other Transdev operating areas. 

We are told that his ideologies create desire. Where is that desire? Where are the passengers who flock to his vehicles? 

If there aren't any (such as on the Whitby to Malton section) - then I begin to wonder what the cost benefit actually is.
If there is a population of people and they're not drawn to the vehicles or routes - then I again wonder, what the cost benefit is.
Edited 24 Feb 2023, 12:25 pm by Andreos1.

Andreos1
24 Feb 2023, 12:17 pm #15

(24 Feb 2023, 10:09 am)Adrian Have you any evidence of the (or any) local authority providing inaccurate figures? It'd be criminal matter as it's fraud and deception, never mind the operators needing to walk away. 

I'd assume any operator worth their salt would have done some due-diligence on any route.

I'm not sure anyone said it was. 

Not just within the Coastliner series of routes, but across other Transdev operating areas. 

We are told that his ideologies create desire. Where is that desire? Where are the passengers who flock to his vehicles? 

If there aren't any (such as on the Whitby to Malton section) - then I begin to wonder what the cost benefit actually is.
If there is a population of people and they're not drawn to the vehicles or routes - then I again wonder, what the cost benefit is.

Adrian

24 Feb 2023, 12:25 pm #16
(24 Feb 2023, 12:17 pm)Andreos1 I'd assume any operator worth their salt would have done some due-diligence on any route.

Absolutely, but if the suggestion is that the Council have provided inaccurate figures, presumably to increase the value of the tender, then that's another matter.

Of course, the other scenario is that an operator bids too low for a tender, and it then becomes loss-making due to inflated costs. Like you say though, forecasting should form part of a due-diligence process on any bid. You should always plan for the best and absolute worst case scenarios.

Adrian
24 Feb 2023, 12:25 pm #16

(24 Feb 2023, 12:17 pm)Andreos1 I'd assume any operator worth their salt would have done some due-diligence on any route.

Absolutely, but if the suggestion is that the Council have provided inaccurate figures, presumably to increase the value of the tender, then that's another matter.

Of course, the other scenario is that an operator bids too low for a tender, and it then becomes loss-making due to inflated costs. Like you say though, forecasting should form part of a due-diligence process on any bid. You should always plan for the best and absolute worst case scenarios.

Jimmi

24 Feb 2023, 12:33 pm #17
I've been looking into the 840 and there's certainly other flaws that are less noticeable,

Whilst there's a big push for taking people over the moors and to Whitby, whilst for people originating from Whitby, it becomes fairly pointless if you want to go any further than Malton, saw a comment on Facebook suggesting that you can only have about an hour in York by catching the first bus from Whitby at 11am before having to catch the last bus back to Whitby at 1432 from the Stonebrow (equating to only 77 minutes) making a trip to Leeds & back impossible. I've caught the 11:00 off Whitby before and it's mostly just been people heading to Goathland then a few going to Thornton-le-Dale/Pickering/Whitby. Considering the amount of people holidaying in and around Whitby, you would think that there would be an earlier bus departing from Whitby, even 9am could be an improvement and potentially bring a few extra passengers in although fear this would only work if another operator such as Arriva took it on so it doesn't have to get from Malton to Whitby before 9am although there's shorts to Thornton-le-Dale around this time.

Reliability is another issue at times, Coastliner has suffered with the national driver shortages meaning trips are being cancelled at times, another issue is the service being prone to delays due to how long it is and the areas it has to run through, during peak summer season it's not uncommon to end up running 30+ late which whilst irritating to tourists getting less time to explore Whitby, that delay can mean missed appointments or being late for work etc.
Jimmi
24 Feb 2023, 12:33 pm #17

I've been looking into the 840 and there's certainly other flaws that are less noticeable,

Whilst there's a big push for taking people over the moors and to Whitby, whilst for people originating from Whitby, it becomes fairly pointless if you want to go any further than Malton, saw a comment on Facebook suggesting that you can only have about an hour in York by catching the first bus from Whitby at 11am before having to catch the last bus back to Whitby at 1432 from the Stonebrow (equating to only 77 minutes) making a trip to Leeds & back impossible. I've caught the 11:00 off Whitby before and it's mostly just been people heading to Goathland then a few going to Thornton-le-Dale/Pickering/Whitby. Considering the amount of people holidaying in and around Whitby, you would think that there would be an earlier bus departing from Whitby, even 9am could be an improvement and potentially bring a few extra passengers in although fear this would only work if another operator such as Arriva took it on so it doesn't have to get from Malton to Whitby before 9am although there's shorts to Thornton-le-Dale around this time.

Reliability is another issue at times, Coastliner has suffered with the national driver shortages meaning trips are being cancelled at times, another issue is the service being prone to delays due to how long it is and the areas it has to run through, during peak summer season it's not uncommon to end up running 30+ late which whilst irritating to tourists getting less time to explore Whitby, that delay can mean missed appointments or being late for work etc.

Unber43

24 Feb 2023, 4:04 pm #18
(24 Feb 2023, 12:17 pm)Andreos1 I'm not sure anyone said it was. 

Idk, I think some of his liveries do create "desire" I quite like the Xlines Livery and it would make me get the bus as its a nice presentation, it has some great features. 

However say it was in a bad livery (e.g arriva frequenta), or it had poor seats no headrests, no features I would be less inclined to go on it. But one thing annoys be about Creative Desire is that they make some boring/ none-cared for liveries e.g Coaster, EGRider
Unber43
24 Feb 2023, 4:04 pm #18

(24 Feb 2023, 12:17 pm)Andreos1 I'm not sure anyone said it was. 

Idk, I think some of his liveries do create "desire" I quite like the Xlines Livery and it would make me get the bus as its a nice presentation, it has some great features. 

However say it was in a bad livery (e.g arriva frequenta), or it had poor seats no headrests, no features I would be less inclined to go on it. But one thing annoys be about Creative Desire is that they make some boring/ none-cared for liveries e.g Coaster, EGRider

Adrian

24 Feb 2023, 5:06 pm #19
(24 Feb 2023, 4:04 pm)Unber43 Idk, I think some of his liveries do create "desire" I quite like the Xlines Livery and it would make me get the bus as its a nice presentation, it has some great features. 

Desire
verb
"
strongly wish for or want (something)."

I'm sorry, but the lack of tangible benefits speak for themselves. If something created desire, they'd have people flocking to it and need to increase capacity, not reduce it and go begging to cash-strapped local authorities.

Adrian
24 Feb 2023, 5:06 pm #19

(24 Feb 2023, 4:04 pm)Unber43 Idk, I think some of his liveries do create "desire" I quite like the Xlines Livery and it would make me get the bus as its a nice presentation, it has some great features. 

Desire
verb
"

I'm sorry, but the lack of tangible benefits speak for themselves. If something created desire, they'd have people flocking to it and need to increase capacity, not reduce it and go begging to cash-strapped local authorities.

Unber43

24 Feb 2023, 5:54 pm #20
(24 Feb 2023, 5:06 pm)Adrian Desire
verb
"

i agree, i would still pick the car over the bus and I doubt that will change, but say if I lived in Easington Lane/Consett/Middlesbrough (maybe) I would likely get the X1 a lot more especially if I went to Newcastle with 2/3 friends. 

But it's when you've got to connect, for instance those who live in Lukes Lane, A) 26 is quite slow), to go to Sunderland is a journey, b) Newcastle you have to go back on yourself, thats not going to get anyone onto a bus. 

Also frequency cutting doesn't help, I wonder if usage on the X45/46 has been cut down that its half the frequency it used to be, as I would be put off by having twice as long of a wait.
Unber43
24 Feb 2023, 5:54 pm #20

(24 Feb 2023, 5:06 pm)Adrian Desire
verb
"

i agree, i would still pick the car over the bus and I doubt that will change, but say if I lived in Easington Lane/Consett/Middlesbrough (maybe) I would likely get the X1 a lot more especially if I went to Newcastle with 2/3 friends. 

But it's when you've got to connect, for instance those who live in Lukes Lane, A) 26 is quite slow), to go to Sunderland is a journey, b) Newcastle you have to go back on yourself, thats not going to get anyone onto a bus. 

Also frequency cutting doesn't help, I wonder if usage on the X45/46 has been cut down that its half the frequency it used to be, as I would be put off by having twice as long of a wait.

Pages (2) 1 2 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average