Menu

North East Buses Local Bus Scene Go North East Go North East March 2023 changes

Go North East March 2023 changes

Go North East March 2023 changes

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average

Pages (22): Previous 119 20 21 22 Next
16 Apr 2023, 6:06 pm
(16 Apr 2023, 5:55 pm)purplesolo The 520 has been saved for some reason and will also be ran by GNE. Assuming the 79’s and 520’s will interwork.

Could they not just merge the 2 routes together and renumber it 79, they both stop at Houghton, might as well merge them in to 1 route.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Michael
16 Apr 2023, 6:06 pm #381

(16 Apr 2023, 5:55 pm)purplesolo The 520 has been saved for some reason and will also be ran by GNE. Assuming the 79’s and 520’s will interwork.

Could they not just merge the 2 routes together and renumber it 79, they both stop at Houghton, might as well merge them in to 1 route.

Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.

16 Apr 2023, 6:27 pm
Might run off the 39A, it would help improve reliability.
Unber43
16 Apr 2023, 6:27 pm #382

Might run off the 39A, it would help improve reliability.

16 Apr 2023, 6:28 pm
A couple of corporate streetlites have appeared back at Consett, one being 5453 which, according to bustimes, has been used on the 1 recently. I wonder if the E200's are earmarked for a short stay at Consett and are transferring depots?
Tiger5105
16 Apr 2023, 6:28 pm #383

A couple of corporate streetlites have appeared back at Consett, one being 5453 which, according to bustimes, has been used on the 1 recently. I wonder if the E200's are earmarked for a short stay at Consett and are transferring depots?

16 Apr 2023, 8:46 pm
(15 Apr 2023, 8:10 am)Thomas12 More cuts than changes?
Cuts planned by Nexus yes - don’t think GNE have any cuts planned.
busmanT
16 Apr 2023, 8:46 pm #384

(15 Apr 2023, 8:10 am)Thomas12 More cuts than changes?
Cuts planned by Nexus yes - don’t think GNE have any cuts planned.

16 Apr 2023, 10:16 pm
(16 Apr 2023, 6:28 pm)Tiger5105 A couple of corporate streetlites have appeared back at Consett, one being 5453 which, according to bustimes, has been used on the 1 recently. I wonder if the E200's are earmarked for a short stay at Consett and are transferring depots?
No Consett are keeping the MMC's for the 6
KingSlayerRBLX
16 Apr 2023, 10:16 pm #385

(16 Apr 2023, 6:28 pm)Tiger5105 A couple of corporate streetlites have appeared back at Consett, one being 5453 which, according to bustimes, has been used on the 1 recently. I wonder if the E200's are earmarked for a short stay at Consett and are transferring depots?
No Consett are keeping the MMC's for the 6

17 Apr 2023, 3:53 am
(16 Apr 2023, 5:16 pm)Unber43 the 71 should be extended to South Hetton on evenings.

As there are no buses between Easington to peterlee from like 18:00/19:00 till the next day. 

They should bring the 35A back to half hourly.
X1 runs through to Peterlee all evening
Retro Nero
17 Apr 2023, 3:53 am #386

(16 Apr 2023, 5:16 pm)Unber43 the 71 should be extended to South Hetton on evenings.

As there are no buses between Easington to peterlee from like 18:00/19:00 till the next day. 

They should bring the 35A back to half hourly.
X1 runs through to Peterlee all evening

17 Apr 2023, 7:47 am
(17 Apr 2023, 3:53 am)Retro Nero X1 runs through to Peterlee all evening
Not really...nothing after 20:00.
Unber43
17 Apr 2023, 7:47 am #387

(17 Apr 2023, 3:53 am)Retro Nero X1 runs through to Peterlee all evening
Not really...nothing after 20:00.

17 Apr 2023, 9:08 am
Does anyone have a list of what services are under contract from Durham County Council?
itsadam
17 Apr 2023, 9:08 am #388

Does anyone have a list of what services are under contract from Durham County Council?

17 Apr 2023, 12:30 pm
(16 Apr 2023, 5:47 pm)F114TML Yeah, because literally no one used it.

They did when the 35A ran it. Not many, but it was used

Mad how that's kept and the 135/136 are being binned off. I know that would save more money but I can't imagine it being better used.
deanmachine
17 Apr 2023, 12:30 pm #389

(16 Apr 2023, 5:47 pm)F114TML Yeah, because literally no one used it.

They did when the 35A ran it. Not many, but it was used

Mad how that's kept and the 135/136 are being binned off. I know that would save more money but I can't imagine it being better used.

17 Apr 2023, 12:33 pm
(17 Apr 2023, 12:30 pm)deanmachine They did when the 35A ran it. Not many, but it was used
It's almost as if a massive operator operating a service in their area where people can use the day/week tickets they've already bought helps...madness

(17 Apr 2023, 12:30 pm)deanmachine Mad how that's kept and the 135/136 are being binned off. I know that would save more money but I can't imagine it being better used.
I agree.
Unber43
17 Apr 2023, 12:33 pm #390

(17 Apr 2023, 12:30 pm)deanmachine They did when the 35A ran it. Not many, but it was used
It's almost as if a massive operator operating a service in their area where people can use the day/week tickets they've already bought helps...madness

(17 Apr 2023, 12:30 pm)deanmachine Mad how that's kept and the 135/136 are being binned off. I know that would save more money but I can't imagine it being better used.
I agree.

17 Apr 2023, 1:23 pm
(16 Apr 2023, 4:27 pm)N1cholas The biggest problem with the 135/136 is revenue, the high minority of passengers are concessions, very few paying customers so Nexus were paying for a service and also for the passengers to have a free taxi to the club as well, a bit like most Nexus secured services, the passengers don't really contribute with paying fares to keep the service running

This isn't aimed at you personally so no offence intended but I really don't get it when someone says a Nexus service "doesn't have many paying customers and isn't making enough money and therefore it needs to be scrapped". Isn't the whole point of Nexus funding a service to allow people to get to the club, to work, to the shops, and to towns and cities etc? In particular the elderly should rightly have free travel and have buses to the places they need to or want to be.

When it comes to a Nexus secured service it should come down to the number of people using it and not down to money or profit. To me if a service is being regularly used by a minimum average of around 5 to 10 people per journey regardless if they pay or not then the service is needed and should remain funded. It is being used.

Also, I don't understand why Nexus states that a bus used for a secured service must be no older than a certain age. It doesnt make sense to me why new buses are being bought to run services that are never going to get huge loadings. As long as a bus is safe, clean, and relaible then what does it matter about it's age?
Washingtonian
17 Apr 2023, 1:23 pm #391

(16 Apr 2023, 4:27 pm)N1cholas The biggest problem with the 135/136 is revenue, the high minority of passengers are concessions, very few paying customers so Nexus were paying for a service and also for the passengers to have a free taxi to the club as well, a bit like most Nexus secured services, the passengers don't really contribute with paying fares to keep the service running

This isn't aimed at you personally so no offence intended but I really don't get it when someone says a Nexus service "doesn't have many paying customers and isn't making enough money and therefore it needs to be scrapped". Isn't the whole point of Nexus funding a service to allow people to get to the club, to work, to the shops, and to towns and cities etc? In particular the elderly should rightly have free travel and have buses to the places they need to or want to be.

When it comes to a Nexus secured service it should come down to the number of people using it and not down to money or profit. To me if a service is being regularly used by a minimum average of around 5 to 10 people per journey regardless if they pay or not then the service is needed and should remain funded. It is being used.

Also, I don't understand why Nexus states that a bus used for a secured service must be no older than a certain age. It doesnt make sense to me why new buses are being bought to run services that are never going to get huge loadings. As long as a bus is safe, clean, and relaible then what does it matter about it's age?

17 Apr 2023, 1:57 pm
They will probably stand alone as the 79 will possibly be done with a streetlight and the 520 a solo, but they could use a sprinter
Retro Nero
17 Apr 2023, 1:57 pm #392

They will probably stand alone as the 79 will possibly be done with a streetlight and the 520 a solo, but they could use a sprinter

17 Apr 2023, 3:40 pm
(17 Apr 2023, 1:23 pm)Washingtonian Also, I don't understand why Nexus states that a bus used for a secured service must be no older than a certain age. It doesnt make sense to me why new buses are being bought to run services that are never going to get huge loadings. As long as a bus is safe, clean, and relaible then what does it matter about its age?

Is it to do with emissions standards and/or meeting disability requirements, or just generally newer vehicles will be more appealing to customers? 

I haven’t read the detail so I don’t know their requirements but the stricter the requirements the better surely.
Within a few years NSAs will likely (and rightly) be a mandatory requirement too.
ne14ne1
17 Apr 2023, 3:40 pm #393

(17 Apr 2023, 1:23 pm)Washingtonian Also, I don't understand why Nexus states that a bus used for a secured service must be no older than a certain age. It doesnt make sense to me why new buses are being bought to run services that are never going to get huge loadings. As long as a bus is safe, clean, and relaible then what does it matter about its age?

Is it to do with emissions standards and/or meeting disability requirements, or just generally newer vehicles will be more appealing to customers? 

I haven’t read the detail so I don’t know their requirements but the stricter the requirements the better surely.
Within a few years NSAs will likely (and rightly) be a mandatory requirement too.

Dan
Site Administrator
17 Apr 2023, 4:10 pm

5453 has returned to Consett for MOT test preparation, not to be used.

5454 and 5455 are both still VOR and have yet to transfer.
Dan
17 Apr 2023, 4:10 pm #394

5453 has returned to Consett for MOT test preparation, not to be used.

5454 and 5455 are both still VOR and have yet to transfer.

17 Apr 2023, 7:29 pm
(16 Apr 2023, 2:49 pm)Storx Aye totally agreed to be honest, it's the same everywhere though. Every bus goes to Sunderland and Newcastle and that's about it want to travel around the city then tough luck, travel 20 minutes into Sunderland and then travel 30 minutes back and let's be honest who the hell wants to go to Sunderland.

Always reminds me of someone who lives in the West End of Newcastle who shops in Byker as it's the only place they can actually get from where they live (Benwell). At the time I was like wtf you going there for there's like 5 supermarkets around here but then you look at a route map, good luck getting to them.

Btw. on the 99 I really don't get the point of it, is it funded by ASDA or something? As it seems the only point of it.

(16 Apr 2023, 3:01 pm)F114TML The 99's existed in various iterations for years (there's a stop at Seaburn Morrisons, somewhere, with a timetable on it for the 99 that's about 10 years out of date!) It's only been going to the ASDA since GNE dumped the 38 last year (before that it used to go along Premier Way to the Prospect, then back along Durham Road to the Barnes).

Hello all,

I’ve really enjoyed reading your posts about the Nexus changes. With regards to the 99 I had a relative who used to work at Redby. They had a number 9 service which ran from Seaburn Morrisons to Hylton Castle, it used to do quite well from what I was told. In Spring 2007 Redby made big changes and started a x2 circular routes from Seaburn Morrisons - the 9 & 99. The 9 would run from Seaburn to the City Centre via Roker and St Peter’s Campus, then up to the Royal Hospital and round through the Enterprise Park to Hylton Castle, Southwick, Fulwell and Seaburn. The 99 would do the opposite route. They brought in a Flat Fare for Adult Singles of £1 which proved very popular but I’m not sure if the routes were very successful. I heard Stagecoach retimed their buses to operate 10 mins in front of the 9 and 99, I’m not sure if this was true? They leased brand new buses ‘07’ plates for the new routes which were fantastic for the time.

In January 2008, Redby were bought out by GNE and GNE brought back the original 9 route but renumbering it the 99.

On a separate note regarding the current Nexus Service 558 run by Gateshead Central Taxis. The earlier journeys lately from Seaburn towards Heworth have been quite busy partly due to how many issues the Metro has been having between Sunderland and Pelaw.

Thanks.
Jonathan93102
17 Apr 2023, 7:29 pm #395

(16 Apr 2023, 2:49 pm)Storx Aye totally agreed to be honest, it's the same everywhere though. Every bus goes to Sunderland and Newcastle and that's about it want to travel around the city then tough luck, travel 20 minutes into Sunderland and then travel 30 minutes back and let's be honest who the hell wants to go to Sunderland.

Always reminds me of someone who lives in the West End of Newcastle who shops in Byker as it's the only place they can actually get from where they live (Benwell). At the time I was like wtf you going there for there's like 5 supermarkets around here but then you look at a route map, good luck getting to them.

Btw. on the 99 I really don't get the point of it, is it funded by ASDA or something? As it seems the only point of it.

(16 Apr 2023, 3:01 pm)F114TML The 99's existed in various iterations for years (there's a stop at Seaburn Morrisons, somewhere, with a timetable on it for the 99 that's about 10 years out of date!) It's only been going to the ASDA since GNE dumped the 38 last year (before that it used to go along Premier Way to the Prospect, then back along Durham Road to the Barnes).

Hello all,

I’ve really enjoyed reading your posts about the Nexus changes. With regards to the 99 I had a relative who used to work at Redby. They had a number 9 service which ran from Seaburn Morrisons to Hylton Castle, it used to do quite well from what I was told. In Spring 2007 Redby made big changes and started a x2 circular routes from Seaburn Morrisons - the 9 & 99. The 9 would run from Seaburn to the City Centre via Roker and St Peter’s Campus, then up to the Royal Hospital and round through the Enterprise Park to Hylton Castle, Southwick, Fulwell and Seaburn. The 99 would do the opposite route. They brought in a Flat Fare for Adult Singles of £1 which proved very popular but I’m not sure if the routes were very successful. I heard Stagecoach retimed their buses to operate 10 mins in front of the 9 and 99, I’m not sure if this was true? They leased brand new buses ‘07’ plates for the new routes which were fantastic for the time.

In January 2008, Redby were bought out by GNE and GNE brought back the original 9 route but renumbering it the 99.

On a separate note regarding the current Nexus Service 558 run by Gateshead Central Taxis. The earlier journeys lately from Seaburn towards Heworth have been quite busy partly due to how many issues the Metro has been having between Sunderland and Pelaw.

Thanks.

17 Apr 2023, 8:57 pm
(17 Apr 2023, 7:29 pm)Jonathan93102 Hello all,

Thanks.

Thank you for that, makes sense where the 99 came from then historically and makes an awful lot more sense than the thing that exists nowadays which just seems a pointless to me.

Would make sense with the 558 mind, since it's the only bus service around there which you could really use; quite a detour mind.
Storx
17 Apr 2023, 8:57 pm #396

(17 Apr 2023, 7:29 pm)Jonathan93102 Hello all,

Thanks.

Thank you for that, makes sense where the 99 came from then historically and makes an awful lot more sense than the thing that exists nowadays which just seems a pointless to me.

Would make sense with the 558 mind, since it's the only bus service around there which you could really use; quite a detour mind.

18 Apr 2023, 7:34 am
(17 Apr 2023, 8:57 pm)Storx Thank you for that, makes sense where the 99 came from then historically and makes an awful lot more sense than the thing that exists nowadays which just seems a pointless to me.

I should add the 9 & 99 that Redby introduced ran Monday - Saturday from around 0700-1900. There was no service on a Sunday or Bank Holidays. They even put on an ex London Open Top Bus in London Transport Red over the Summer Holidays which is something we are seeing again now with Stagecoach.

I believe the earlier 9 service which ran between Seaburn and Hylton Castle was strictly Monday - Friday and would not start till 0900 on school days. The buses that were on it would come off Scholar Services straight onto the 9. They also had a so called lunchtime layover in Seaburn Morrisons Car Park of an hour around 1300 I believe. I think this lunchtime layover happened again when GNE took over the route in 2008 as the 99. Redby did used to serve the 9 route 7 days week in the early 2000’s but I’m not sure why it got dropped to Monday - Friday only. They did run services for Stagecoach in Sunderland up until the start of the new circular 9 & 99 routes in Spring 2007, the routes which ran to the Docks.

I’m not sure what things are like down at Seaburn now but I know the area has changed massively since 2007 with the new hotel and restaurants opening up as well as the Seaburn Stack. It would be interesting if GNE would return to the area - I’m not really clued up so could not comment. I do remember GNE used to have a Service 161 which ran from Low Moorsley or Hetton-le-Hole to Seaburn Camp turning circle. That was pre-2008 I believe.

Thanks.
Jonathan93102
18 Apr 2023, 7:34 am #397

(17 Apr 2023, 8:57 pm)Storx Thank you for that, makes sense where the 99 came from then historically and makes an awful lot more sense than the thing that exists nowadays which just seems a pointless to me.

I should add the 9 & 99 that Redby introduced ran Monday - Saturday from around 0700-1900. There was no service on a Sunday or Bank Holidays. They even put on an ex London Open Top Bus in London Transport Red over the Summer Holidays which is something we are seeing again now with Stagecoach.

I believe the earlier 9 service which ran between Seaburn and Hylton Castle was strictly Monday - Friday and would not start till 0900 on school days. The buses that were on it would come off Scholar Services straight onto the 9. They also had a so called lunchtime layover in Seaburn Morrisons Car Park of an hour around 1300 I believe. I think this lunchtime layover happened again when GNE took over the route in 2008 as the 99. Redby did used to serve the 9 route 7 days week in the early 2000’s but I’m not sure why it got dropped to Monday - Friday only. They did run services for Stagecoach in Sunderland up until the start of the new circular 9 & 99 routes in Spring 2007, the routes which ran to the Docks.

I’m not sure what things are like down at Seaburn now but I know the area has changed massively since 2007 with the new hotel and restaurants opening up as well as the Seaburn Stack. It would be interesting if GNE would return to the area - I’m not really clued up so could not comment. I do remember GNE used to have a Service 161 which ran from Low Moorsley or Hetton-le-Hole to Seaburn Camp turning circle. That was pre-2008 I believe.

Thanks.

18 Apr 2023, 7:38 am
(18 Apr 2023, 7:34 am)Jonathan93102 I should add the 9 & 99 that Redby introduced ran Monday - Saturday from around 0700-1900. There was no service on a Sunday or Bank Holidays. They even put on an ex London Open Top Bus in London Transport Red over the Summer Holidays which is something we are seeing again now with Stagecoach.

Thanks.

There was also the 164 which ran a similar route to the 194 between Easington Lane/Penshaw Bank Top and then followed the 638 route from there to Sunderland (offering a half hourly service for the residents of Barnwell to/from Sunderland).

Just checked the timetable out in The Bygone Era and it didn't go in to Park Lane TO Seaburn. But did on the return. Used it many times, but can't remember the specifics about it's route in Sunderland City Centre.

Off memory, pretty sure it went a few years prior to the 2006 changes though.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
18 Apr 2023, 7:38 am #398

(18 Apr 2023, 7:34 am)Jonathan93102 I should add the 9 & 99 that Redby introduced ran Monday - Saturday from around 0700-1900. There was no service on a Sunday or Bank Holidays. They even put on an ex London Open Top Bus in London Transport Red over the Summer Holidays which is something we are seeing again now with Stagecoach.

Thanks.

There was also the 164 which ran a similar route to the 194 between Easington Lane/Penshaw Bank Top and then followed the 638 route from there to Sunderland (offering a half hourly service for the residents of Barnwell to/from Sunderland).

Just checked the timetable out in The Bygone Era and it didn't go in to Park Lane TO Seaburn. But did on the return. Used it many times, but can't remember the specifics about it's route in Sunderland City Centre.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'

18 Apr 2023, 8:30 am
(18 Apr 2023, 7:38 am)Andreos1 There was also the 164 which ran a similar route to the 194 between Easington Lane/Penshaw Bank Top and then followed the 638 route from there to Sunderland (offering a half hourly service for the residents of Barnwell to/from Sunderland).

The 164 on deregulation in October 1986 also got extended from Sunderland to South Shields operating limited stop. From memory think it only stopped at Wheatsheaf, The Grange Fulwell, Cleadon Pond, Harton Nook, Westoe and Shields Keppel St.   Used it a few times and was a good fast alternative to the all stops 535/536
LVK 404L
18 Apr 2023, 8:30 am #399

(18 Apr 2023, 7:38 am)Andreos1 There was also the 164 which ran a similar route to the 194 between Easington Lane/Penshaw Bank Top and then followed the 638 route from there to Sunderland (offering a half hourly service for the residents of Barnwell to/from Sunderland).

The 164 on deregulation in October 1986 also got extended from Sunderland to South Shields operating limited stop. From memory think it only stopped at Wheatsheaf, The Grange Fulwell, Cleadon Pond, Harton Nook, Westoe and Shields Keppel St.   Used it a few times and was a good fast alternative to the all stops 535/536

18 Apr 2023, 8:37 am

When there diverted the 164 via Chester road and shiney row it was always going to end of the axe of the whole service, practically duplicating long established bus services, should of left it via Durham road, it was a lot better when it was a limited stop service .

Many times caught the 164 to Seaburn , yea Park Lane bus station to Houghton but Vine Place and Fawcett street to Seaburn

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(18 Apr 2023, 8:30 am)ifm001 The 164 on deregulation in October 1986 also got extended from Sunderland to South Shields operating limited stop. From memory think it only stopped at Wheatsheaf, The Grange Fulwell, Cleadon Pond, Harton Nook, Westoe and Shields Keppel St.   Used it a few times and was a good fast alternative to the all stops 535/536

Yea, got changed as soon as possible in the first list of bus changes after dereg in Jan/feb 87 and sent to Seaburn instead, when the 220 sequence got renumbered to the 151/152 sequence at dereg 86 then back to the 220 in Jan/Feb 87 which confused the passengers as you had the northern 151/152 Fawcett street to Murton and the 151/152 Fawcett st to Durham, probably because the bus used to do both routes, bring back the days when passengers were put first instead of profit

cbma06
18 Apr 2023, 8:37 am #400

When there diverted the 164 via Chester road and shiney row it was always going to end of the axe of the whole service, practically duplicating long established bus services, should of left it via Durham road, it was a lot better when it was a limited stop service .

Many times caught the 164 to Seaburn , yea Park Lane bus station to Houghton but Vine Place and Fawcett street to Seaburn

(18 Apr 2023, 8:30 am)ifm001 The 164 on deregulation in October 1986 also got extended from Sunderland to South Shields operating limited stop. From memory think it only stopped at Wheatsheaf, The Grange Fulwell, Cleadon Pond, Harton Nook, Westoe and Shields Keppel St.   Used it a few times and was a good fast alternative to the all stops 535/536

Yea, got changed as soon as possible in the first list of bus changes after dereg in Jan/feb 87 and sent to Seaburn instead, when the 220 sequence got renumbered to the 151/152 sequence at dereg 86 then back to the 220 in Jan/Feb 87 which confused the passengers as you had the northern 151/152 Fawcett street to Murton and the 151/152 Fawcett st to Durham, probably because the bus used to do both routes, bring back the days when passengers were put first instead of profit

Pages (22): Previous 119 20 21 22 Next

• 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
Possibly Related Threads…
Replies 1394
Views 289815
21 Apr 2024, 10:04 pm
Last Post by Bazza
Replies 252
Views 54231
29 Dec 2023, 10:39 pm
Last Post by WestDurhamSwift