You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

RE: July 2023 changes
(22 Jun 2023, 8:24 am)Rob44 wrote Don't know if anyone uses the shields ferry but I remember when i was a lad me and my dad used to get it across to N shields and in the summer there was the 333open topper.  The driver always waited for everyone to get off the ferry before leaving. Last time i used it i jogged off the ferry to the bus stop and just caught the 19?? i think and he pulled away straight away. Luckily for ferry users who wanted to get up the bank to N shields they were digging up and their were traffic lights near the stop and he got held up there - he even let them on but if he'd waited at the stop for 2 minutes everyone would have got on without any problem!

If I remember correctly, at one time the 327 ran from Whitley Bay to N Shields to connect with the ferry and at S Shields 538 connected and ran to Seaburn. Consequently there was basically an open top bus all the way along the coast from Whitley Bay to Seaburn. 327 operated by Northern, 538 by the PTE.
(22 Jun 2023, 8:24 am)Rob44 wrote Don't know if anyone uses the shields ferry but I remember when i was a lad me and my dad used to get it across to N shields and in the summer there was the 333open topper.  The driver always waited for everyone to get off the ferry before leaving. Last time i used it i jogged off the ferry to the bus stop and just caught the 19?? i think and he pulled away straight away. Luckily for ferry users who wanted to get up the bank to N shields they were digging up and their were traffic lights near the stop and he got held up there - he even let them on but if he'd waited at the stop for 2 minutes everyone would have got on without any problem!

It's the way it should be, like who else is realistically going to use the 19 down there. I know it used to wait though but I don't believe it does now since it's tour of the fish quay.
(21 Jun 2023, 4:46 pm)Storx wrote See personally I think they do have a future but they need to compliment trains and the Metro rather than outright compete against them. Like just to pick Hexham for an example, if the likes of 687, ran from Newborough to the train station and it's timetabled to connect with a train it would work. Similar in the opposite direction where you can get off certain trains and the bus will be sitting there waiting and takes you the last mile.

Instead we have a bus to the bus station, miles away from the train station 7 minutes after the 685 departs. Want to go to Newcastle ? Good luck.

The 4 is an example of a good connecting bus and it's actually quite busy aswell really. There's always quite good enough loads at the Regent Centre aswell whenever I've passed through, imagine if you could actually buy a bus and metro ticket from Ashington... It would be a good start, if these new tickets ever happen.

Yeah I think the local bus routes (e.g 84/85 in Washington) will always be needed but I have no doubt the Metro would be a more attractive option for those wanting to travel to the likes of Newcastle, Sunderland and South Shields etc as it will be more direct. There would always be a need for an alternative to the Metro though but I think there would be less demand for the bus over all and further cuts to the frequencies or shortening of routes. For example, I think the likes of the 4 may end up getting curtailed at the Galleries if the Metro was to extend or the frequency to Heworth would maybe get reduced to half hourly. Really hope that's not the case mind.
(22 Jun 2023, 5:37 pm)RMF1254 wrote If I remember correctly, at one time the 327 ran from Whitley Bay to N Shields to connect with the ferry and at S Shields 538 connected and ran to Seaburn. Consequently there was basically an open top bus all the way along the coast from Whitley Bay to Seaburn. 327 operated by Northern, 538 by the PTE.

Yeh I remember the 327 too.  I always thought that was the normal service bus where as the 333 operated by Northumbria only ran during the summer and every hour.

(22 Jun 2023, 6:27 pm)Storx wrote It's the way it should be, like who else is realistically going to use the 19 down there. I know it used to wait though but I don't believe it does now since it's tour of the fish quay.

TBF the bus was almost full when it eventually left the Ferry terminal...... but everyone bar one got off at North shields metro.
(29 Jun 2023, 5:18 pm)deanmachine wrote Looks like with the 39 going back to every 15 minutes that's just between the town and Doxford Park. Only the 39A and 39B are going to Pennywell.

39A/39B staying hourly I take it?

When is the changes happening?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
July 2023 changes
(29 Jun 2023, 5:58 pm)Iamtheone8483748 wrote Might be an error on the GNE website but from the 24th July the 51/52 look to be reduced to every 20 minutes instead of every 15

When you go into the link for the new 51 pdf on gne site it brings up the new 51 but under the loop brand, someone at GNE must of pressed the wrong button and used the loop grey layout instead of the orbit layout

[Image: 5b5d6c92a6f591b6d93867d886eea05b.jpg]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(29 Jun 2023, 6:05 pm)streetdeckfan wrote X21 changes are up, it does indeed show it missing out Woodhouse, but still no later journeys!

Probably not later journeys as demand isn’t sufficient. Service 6 operates until late.
(29 Jun 2023, 6:17 pm)cbma06 wrote When you go into the link for the new 51 pdf on gne site it brings up the new 51 but under the loop brand, someone at GNE must of pressed the wrong button and used the loop grey layout instead of the orbit layout

Unless its another re-brand
(29 Jun 2023, 5:52 pm)Michael wrote 39A/39B staying hourly I take it?

Yes looking at the timetables they will be. I also noticed it will be the 39 serving the Galleries in Washington hourly too instead of the 39B. Much better to be honest. The current 39B is way too long.
(29 Jun 2023, 6:48 pm)Washingtonian wrote Yes looking at the timetables they will be. I also noticed it will be the 39 serving the Galleries in Washington hourly too instead of the 39B. Much better to be honest. The current 39B is way too long.

Actually didn't know the timetables had been uploaded... haha
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(29 Jun 2023, 6:17 pm)cbma06 wrote When you go into the link for the new 51 pdf on gne site it brings up the new 51 but under the loop brand, someone at GNE must of pressed the wrong button and used the loop grey layout instead of the orbit layout

I don't know but I have a feeling that might not be a mistake. I have a feeling the Streetlite's might move to Percy Main to do the 41/41A/352/353/354/355. They need something Euro 6 there. There's plenty of the ex London B9's coming to fill in on the 51/52/93/94 and they're the same spec.

Would streamline the depots aswell since there's no other Streetlite's at Riverside anymore.
July 2023 changes
(29 Jun 2023, 6:46 pm)Unber43 wrote Unless its another re-brand

It’s either dan drunk pressing buttons on the pc at GNE or a learner on the pc, I thought also might do what the 20a combined with the 65 when both into prince bishop brand, don’t know if there’s enough loop buses for the 93/94 and 51/52 if there both going to be loops, I think it’s just a mistake or something

(29 Jun 2023, 6:50 pm)Michael wrote Actually didn't know the timetables had been uploaded... haha

Yeah me neither to be honest until I done a search on GNE's website lol. There was no article with the announcement.

I wonder if it would be worth GNE seperating the 2/2A Sunderland to Silksworth section and combining parts of the 39/39A/39B and 99? I think there is potential there to make a more successful little network there. I would then run the 2/2A every hour to Seaburn in the school holidays and evenings when the illuminations are on etc. Just a thought
(29 Jun 2023, 6:53 pm)Washingtonian wrote Yeah me neither to be honest until I done a search on GNE's website lol. There was no article with the announcement.

New timetable has it down as "Graphite", wonder if that confirms the solo's are going back on the routes.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Just had a look at those timetables, the 51/52 is 100% not a mistake.

They're clearly interworking doing

51 -> 94 -> 52 -> 93

Each bus has a 6/7 minute gap between them. Them working by themselves just doesn't work as there's only a 1 or 4 minute gap between the 93 coming in and either the 93 or 94 leaves. The 93 has been totally retimed.
July 2023 changes
(29 Jun 2023, 7:08 pm)Storx wrote Just had a look at those timetables, the 51/52 is 100% not a mistake.

51 -> 94 -> 52 -> 93

Each bus has a 6/7 minute gap between them. Them working by themselves just doesn't work as there's only a 1 or 4 minute gap between the 93 coming in and either the 93 or 94 leaves. The 93 has been totally retimed.

(29 Jun 2023, 7:08 pm)Storx wrote Just had a look at those timetables, the 51/52 is 100% not a mistake.

51 -> 94 -> 52 -> 93

More Ex-London B9's on for the routes?, Streetlites from the Orbit to the new 352-355 services?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(29 Jun 2023, 7:17 pm)Michael wrote More Ex-London B9's on for the routes?, Streetlites from the Orbit to the new 352-355 services?

Aye possibly, unless we might see a mixed allocation with maybe the Versa's or something. You have to remember Feetham is in charge and there's plenty examples of Arriva routes with split allocations like the Blyth, X7/X8/X9 and the Durham, 7 etc. Some of the 93/94 boards in particular seem quiet unless they happen to hit Team Valley at the right time or not DD worthy anyway.
(29 Jun 2023, 5:52 pm)Michael wrote 39A/39B staying hourly I take it?

23rd July. 39A/39B each hourly, combined half an hour service to Pennywell. 39 every half an hour, from town to Doxford Park, with one an hour going to Washington. Combined every 15 minutes between town and Doxford Park.

Slightly different route through Doxford Park and Shiney Row for the 39.
(29 Jun 2023, 8:01 pm)deanmachine wrote 23rd July. 39A/39B each hourly, combined half an hour service to Pennywell. 39 every half an hour, from town to Doxford Park, with one an hour going to Washington. Combined every 15 minutes between town and Doxford Park.

Slightly different route through Doxford Park and Shiney Row for the 39.

Yes 39 is running to Washington via the old 37 route via Chester Rd in Shiney Row and City Way in Doxford International .(also running via Moorside Rd between Morrisons and Doxford International)
(29 Jun 2023, 7:17 pm)Michael wrote More Ex-London B9's on for the routes?, Streetlites from the Orbit to the new 352-355 services?

Yay more StreetLite to Percy Main. What a great bus. Never break down. U never see the Orbits of the road. There perfect buses and absolutely amazing. Can't wait for more yayayayayayayay
(29 Jun 2023, 6:50 pm)Storx wrote I don't know but I have a feeling that might not be a mistake. I have a feeling the Streetlite's might move to Percy Main to do the 41/41A/352/353/354/355. They need something Euro 6 there. There's plenty of the ex London B9's coming to fill in on the 51/52/93/94 and they're the same spec.

Would streamline the depots aswell since there's no other Streetlite's at Riverside anymore.

And the number 1, but i dont think that'll be enough to go around, unless (just thinking out loud here) its the double deckers going the other way and they keep the streetlites, but i have a feeling the 352-355 is going to be a mixed allocation, i cant see the 355 needing anymore than a solo, as thats what ran on the M55/55 for years going back its been metroriders, then darts, then solos, solos and streetlites (when it used to interwork with the 54), solos,now streetlites

(30 Jun 2023, 10:20 am)Busu284 wrote Yay more StreetLite to Percy Main. What a great bus. Never break down. U never see the Orbits of the road. There perfect buses and absolutely amazing. Can't wait for more yayayayayayayay

How old are you, 10?
Kind Regards
Tez
(30 Jun 2023, 2:15 pm)V514DFT wrote And the number 1, but i dont think that'll be enough to go around, unless (just thinking out loud here) its the double deckers going the other way and they keep the streetlites, but i have a feeling the 352-355 is going to be a mixed allocation, i cant see the 355 needing anymore than a solo, as thats what ran on the M55/55 for years going back its been metroriders, then darts, then solos, solos and streetlites (when it used to interwork with the 54), solos,now streetlites

How old are you, 10?

Dunno, I have a feeling they're all going to interwork on something like:

353 -> 352 -> 355 -> 354
or
354 -> 355 -> 352 -> 353

All based from North Shields, so whatever is on one route, will be on them all. If the Orbits move across I do believe there's enough though.
(30 Jun 2023, 2:15 pm)V514DFT wrote And the number 1, but i dont think that'll be enough to go around, unless (just thinking out loud here) its the double deckers going the other way and they keep the streetlites, but i have a feeling the 352-355 is going to be a mixed allocation, i cant see the 355 needing anymore than a solo, as thats what ran on the M55/55 for years going back its been metroriders, then darts, then solos, solos and streetlites (when it used to interwork with the 54), solos,now streetlites

How old are you, 10?

Tbf I've seen the 55 busy with a StreetLite on it lately.