You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Reintroduction of Temporarily Reduced Services Back to Original Frequency

RE: Reintroduction of Temporarily Reduced Services Back to Original Frequency
(17 Aug 2023, 10:13 am)Adrian wrote I don't quite understand this statement. I'd say that most travel in Washington is from residents travelling to nearby Cities, mainly Newcastle, for commuting and leisure. The queues for the X1 at most times of day would back this up. The footfall at the Galleries will be predominantly from locals, and I'd guess from no further out than Penshaw or Springwell Village.

Chester Road has the hospital, and for a long time now, has been the main bus route in and out of Sunderland from Washington. Even when there were several services, the vast majority used Chester Road.

2A covers Biddick (Titchfield Road), which has had a Sunderland bus for as long as I can remember.

Think you misread that,

I meant in the sense that it's arguably better to have the Newcastle expresses actually serving people at their doors rather than having to change at the Galleries which will be unpopular for most. Fair point on the 2A, maybe they could send the 8 through there to keep the Sunderland links? and have the X2 doing the other route instead.

I know most people use the Chester Road corridor but with decent advertising and a number close to it, maybe renumber the 2 as the 7. There's no real reason why people can't be using the 8 instead as it's clearly not the busiest route around.

Other than the Biddick to Royal Hospital direct links, as far as I can see there's no lost links in Washington at all other than speeding the 50 up but I'd imagine Ayton would prefer the X3 anyway. Biddick would gain links through to Chester Le Street though.

I always think the expresses work well in Cramlington and they're arguably more popular aswell since there's more of them.
The GNE 8 doesn't go down Chester Road, it goes via Castletown, doubt they'll change the route for the time-being with the 8 only been the service on Trimdon Street now.

8A goes down Chester Road but only a few times a day
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(17 Aug 2023, 10:42 am)Michael wrote The GNE 8 doesn't go down Chester Road, it goes via Castletown, doubt they'll change the route for the time-being with the 8 only been the service on Trimdon Street now.

8A goes down Chester Road but only a few times a day

Yeah I know, I just meant split the loads going in via different routes. I can't imagine there's much traffic on Chester Road itself heading towards Washington, so arguably no issue with the Washington passengers going in via the Queen Alex. Bridge, probably just more they don't know it at all, more than anything. Believe it's slightly quicker by a few minutes aswell.
(17 Aug 2023, 10:53 am)Storx wrote Yeah I know, I just meant split the loads going in via different routes. I can't imagine there's much traffic on Chester Road itself heading towards Washington, so arguably no issue with the Washington passengers going in via the Queen Alex. Bridge, probably just more they don't know it at all, more than anything. Believe it's slightly quicker by a few minutes aswell.

Ah right sorry, misread your posts!
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Had the misfortune to use one of the peak X1s out of Newcastle yesterday, which just echoed again why the current 15 minute frequency is unsuitable.

The bus was on time, and I can see the one before also went out on time, but we left Newcastle full to the brim. By the time we left Gateshead, we had standees on the top deck and passengers sitting on the stairs. I'd just missed the previous bus, so I was maybe 3rd/4th in the queue, but within a couple of minutes, the queue was backed right up again.

On may way into Newcastle, there were two X1s (before 8am) due into the Galleries at the same time; one being on time, with the other being 19 minutes late. Based on the queue that had since formed, I opted for the 4 and Metro.

Although the morning peaks going into Newcastle can be the same, even in the school holidays, it's not just the peaks. These buses are really busy at most times of day, and as soon as you've got one delayed or cancelled, you end up with a real problem on the route.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Pretty much the same scenario you see on the 21, particularly mid afternoon and any match day.
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
We had a similar experience last week. On the 12, of all services. Used to be every 20 mins in the not too distant past, now every 30 mins with a decker. A good load on the Newcastle bound trip mid morning, and then a stuffed to the gunnels journey home mid afternoon. Slow, hot and soul destroying watching another queue of people trying to board an already full bus.

Been a while since we’ve been but special mention to Eldon Square. I’d say organised chaos but I’m not sure if there was any organisation. Thanks Rishi for the £2 fares, but I think we’ll take the car next time.
To provide extra capacity on the 21, could GNE & Arriva not work together in partnership with Durham CC & NECA with something like this?

- X12:
* Same frequency and accepts GNE tickets. Same stopping arrangements as X21.

- X21:
* West Auckland to Durham every 30 minutes. Short journeys timed to connect with X12, and also interwork with X5/X15 meaning short journeys move to Consett.
* Durham to Newcastle every 60 minutes, coordinating with X12 every 30 minutes.

- 21:
- Resource saved from X21 used to reduce cancellations or help reinstate 7-8 minute CLS to Newcastle service.
Noticed percy main aren't doing great today:

Prehaps there should be temporary measures introduced heres some suggestions:

1 current frequency between Gateshead & Whitley Bay with 1 bus per hour continuing to metrocentre

41 withdrawn (hadrian park &;Battle Hill to Station Road have the 307/309 & Wallsend to Station Road have the 342 so it's a pretty pointless service anyway)

41A remains at every 60 mins (again Battle Hill and whiltshire drive to Wallsend doesn't seem like a popular passage)

Should sort the cobalt & Coasts and 1s fir cancellations and have cruise ship shuttles running when required as today
(11 Sep 2023, 12:10 pm)EastCoastMXZ1751 wrote Noticed percy main aren't doing great today:

1 current frequency between Gateshead & Whitley Bay with 1 bus per hour continuing to metrocentre

41 withdrawn (hadrian park &;Battle Hill to Station Road have the 307/309 & Wallsend to Station Road have the 342 so it's a pretty pointless service anyway)

41A remains at every 60 mins (again Battle Hill and whiltshire drive to Wallsend doesn't seem like a popular passage)

Should sort the cobalt & Coasts and 1s fir cancellations and have cruise ship shuttles running when required as today

The Gateshead to Metro Centre side of the 1 (97) is a hell of a lot more popular than the other side, cutting it down to hourly would be up there with absolutely bonkers ideas.

A serious suggestion though would be drop all the buses on the Coast Road down to every 30 minutes. Arriva Blyth are just as bad the past few days and would help both sort the mess out.
(11 Sep 2023, 12:10 pm)EastCoastMXZ1751 wrote Noticed percy main aren't doing great today:

Reducing the 41/41A which are currently every 15 minutes to 60 minutes is a ridiculous idea. They are relatively well used services through the day.

Are u absolutely insane. I'd say have the 41A every 30 minute and withdrawn the 41. I saw a 41A the other day with a decker. Jesus it was busy. Downstairs was full and upstairs was close to full. The fact is the 41 is just the 41A without Wiltshire Drive. The fact they have both running and that's it annoys me. Just withdrawn the 41 and put the 41A a full route. Simple as
(11 Sep 2023, 12:22 pm)Storx wrote The Gateshead to Metro Centre side of the 1 (97) is a hell of a lot more popular than the other side, cutting it down to hourly would be up there with absolutely bonkers ideas.

A serious suggestion though would be drop all the buses on the Coast Road down to every 30 minutes. Arriva Blyth are just as bad the past few days and would help both sort the mess out.
Arriva Blyth will only get worse once the ex-Jesmond / Walkergate drivers see out their time for £££ (relocation payment) and jump ship to Percy Main.
(10 Oct 2023, 5:31 pm)j986986 wrote The 56 goes back to every 12 minutes in November, the timetables are on Traveline.

Good news that, wonder which B9 will go to Deptford, as the PVR will increases by 1 but I wonder if they'll add another to make it 2 extra for reliability etc
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
Site Administrator
(10 Oct 2023, 6:07 pm)Michael wrote Good news that, wonder which B9 will go to Deptford, as the PVR will increases by 1 but I wonder if they'll add another to make it 2 extra for reliability etc

Needs more than one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(10 Oct 2023, 7:08 pm)Dan wrote Needs more than one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many more does it need?
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(10 Oct 2023, 7:12 pm)Michael wrote How many more does it need?

When it was running "good" before the PVR got cut in May 2019 (still every 12 minutes) so 6100 could be released for the 309/310, that was 13x.

Running a "good" 12 minute service will require a PVR of 14x.
(10 Oct 2023, 7:45 pm)L469 YVK wrote When it was running "good" before the PVR got cut in May 2019 (still every 12 minutes) so 6100 could be released for the 309/310, that was 13x.

Running a "good" 12 minute service will require a PVR of 14x.

Ah ye, hopefully they do add the extra bus in, as before.

Looks like it'll be ex London stock as the extra buses.
Ooo Friend, Bus Friend.
(10 Oct 2023, 7:50 pm)Michael wrote Ah ye, hopefully they do add the extra bus in, as before.

Looks like it'll be ex London stock as the extra buses.

6099/6100 surely? They're odd buses of a batch at Riverside anyway.
(10 Oct 2023, 7:56 pm)Storx wrote 6099/6100 surely? They're odd buses of a batch at Riverside anyway.

Yes, apparently 6099 & 6100 are returning to Sunderland.
(10 Oct 2023, 5:31 pm)j986986 wrote The 56 goes back to every 12 minutes in November, the timetables are on Traveline.
Excellent. A really sensible move.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(10 Oct 2023, 7:56 pm)Storx wrote 6099/6100 surely? They're odd buses of a batch at Riverside anyway.

Could be them and 6101 (I doubt the special livery will be that inportant now).

The 307 & 309 would still have 2x spare available for a PVR of 14x.

On that note......would this not be an opportunity to allocate a more 'fuel efficient' vehicle type on the 307?

The B9TLs as good as they are, are way 'overkill' for the 307 and even the 309.

Something like this......
- 6099, 6100, 6101 - extras for 56
- 6102-08 - To Washington
- 6109-17 - 309 (includes 1x spare)
- 6301-07 - 307 (includes 1x spare)
(10 Oct 2023, 8:30 pm)L469 YVK wrote Could be them and 6101 (I doubt the special livery will be that inportant now).

The 307 & 309 would still have 2x spare available for a PVR of 14x.

On that note......would this not be an opportunity to allocate a more 'fuel efficient' vehicle type on the 307?

The B9TLs as good as they are, are way 'overkill' for the 307 and even the 309.

Something like this......
- 6099, 6100, 6101 - extras for 56
- 6102-08 - To Washington
- 6109-17 - 309 (includes 1x spare)
- 6301-07 - 307 (includes 1x spare)
Oh yea yea yea. Send a Tynemouth branded bus to Sunderland. Great mind ain't you

Cobalt to Washington. For what exactly I'm sorry are u dumb 

Why would the 307 get the StreetDeck of the 50. I'm sorry but this has to be the most dumb thing ever said on this forum ever
Hopefully theyll have increased layover time as its desperate for that.

Any timetables for any of the other changes
(10 Oct 2023, 8:38 pm)Busu284 wrote Oh yea yea yea. Send a Tynemouth branded bus to Sunderland. Great mind ain't you

Why would the 307 get the StreetDeck of the 50. I'm sorry but this has to be the most dumb thing ever said on this forum ever

You do realise paint exists?

He clearly pointed the livery out in his post, and to GNE post-Gilbert a bus is very much just a bus.
(10 Oct 2023, 9:03 pm)mb134 wrote You do realise paint exists?

He clearly pointed the livery out in his post, and to GNE post-Gilbert a bus is very much just a bus.

But why paint Tynemouth. Nowt wrong with it. If anything it should go to Sunderland Pride. Still has the 11th date on from last year
(10 Oct 2023, 8:38 pm)Busu284 wrote Oh yea yea yea. Send a Tynemouth branded bus to Sunderland. Great mind ain't you

And this might be the most unnecessarily rude post I've seen on this forum for a while. 

No one will care so long as.a bus turns up and they can get on it.