You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

GNE Questions about fleet withdrawals/buses VOR/fleet questions

GNE Questions about fleet withdrawals/buses VOR/fleet questions

RE: GNE Questions about fleet withdrawals/buses VOR/fleet questions
(20 Sep 2023, 8:08 pm)MCN881L wrote Totally agree 
Vast majority of the fleet is over 10 years old, even the early streetlites have hit 10
guessing the biggest problem now is with GNE loosing money, ther'll be no chance of new buses unless somebody else pays, ie the grants
Most of the buses which were bought over a decade ago on profitable routes still havent had an upgrade and not upgrading them in 2017-2020 has massively hurt them the most. 

And now everything is just ex-london stock not even the interiors have been re-done like they were with the Presidents the first time.

But lets say GNE orders 150 buses they are not going to get here till 2025, which puts a lot of the older buses which were bought between 2010-2013 when the series of massive orders were done nearly 15 years old which already need replacing and all the London stock has 1 year left before its out of its life cycle and anything else after that is hybrids or electric so relying on London anymore is a distant thought now really.

London do have some Citaros which are being replaced and if I was GNE would try and get them for anything replacement, maybe 4 to get rid of the versa and keep the Connections 4, god knows how long 3941-65 have left they seem to be the one which are hanging on under the shadow of ever increasing break downs.

It really is a shambles, because lets face it GNE aren't getting any more buses I would say till 2026/7 are the earliest thats going to have the 16 plates are 12 year old and after that not much came in especially single wise, just the 17 plates and a few deckers, which seem to be getting hammered on the X21/X10.
(20 Sep 2023, 8:31 pm)Unber43 wrote Most of the buses which were bought over a decade ago on profitable routes still havent had an upgrade and not upgrading them in 2017-2020 has massively hurt them the most. 

And now everything is just ex-london stock not even the interiors have been re-done like they were with the Presidents the first time.

But lets say GNE orders 150 buses they are not going to get here till 2025, which puts a lot of the older buses which were bought between 2010-2013 when the series of massive orders were done nearly 15 years old which already need replacing and all the London stock has 1 year left before its out of its life cycle and anything else after that is hybrids or electric so relying on London anymore is a distant thought now really.

London do have some Citaros which are being replaced and if I was GNE would try and get them for anything replacement, maybe 4 to get rid of the versa and keep the Connections 4, god knows how long 3941-65 have left they seem to be the one which are hanging on under the shadow of ever increasing break downs.

It really is a shambles, because lets face it GNE aren't getting any more buses I would say till 2026/7 are the earliest thats going to have the 16 plates are 12 year old and after that not much came in especially single wise, just the 17 plates and a few deckers, which seem to be getting hammered on the X21/X10.

Can't see Citaros coming given GNE have been withdrawing their own.
Don't they want everything to be alternatively fuelled by 2035 (electric and hydrogen)? I'm sure they had that as a statement a couple of years back in one of the making buses better things.
So what are GNE doing to do, aging fleet, no money, just run the buses into the ground so far theyve being doing a great job at that
(21 Sep 2023, 5:05 pm)Unber43 wrote So what are GNE doing to do, aging fleet, no money, just run the buses into the ground so far theyve being doing a great job at that

See Arriva
(21 Sep 2023, 5:13 pm)streetdeckfan wrote See Arriva

Arriva is slightly different in that they are potentially about to be sold and therefore the current owners won't be making any investment as they won't see the return on it. If the sale happens, the new owners should be aware of the amount of investment required and be willing to make it as otherwise they'd not do the transaction in the first place.
(21 Sep 2023, 5:39 pm)Shrek wrote Arriva is slightly different in that they are potentially about to be sold and therefore the current owners won't be making any investment as they won't see the return on it. If the sale happens, the new owners should be aware of the amount of investment required and be willing to make it as otherwise they'd not do the transaction in the first place.

And the second coming of Jesus is just around the corner!
(21 Sep 2023, 6:47 pm)streetdeckfan wrote And the second coming of Jesus is just around the corner!

Do you think he’ll be here for Christmas?
(05 Aug 2023, 8:48 pm)Unber43 wrote 6361 has arrived at GNW

Now back at Riverside
Views and Opinions are my own
(21 Sep 2023, 5:05 pm)Unber43 wrote So what are GNE doing to do, aging fleet, no money, just run the buses into the ground so far theyve being doing a great job at that

Selective "pre-owned" additions to the fleet - unless they are life expired, Go Ahead Group now tries to retain vehicles within the group when displaced by new deliveries. 

Oxford are getting 105 new electric buses, wonder if some of those displaced might head north? (more StreetDecks...........)
If all of the Queens Road fleet doesn't go into the "Bee Network Pool" when Tranche 2 starts, might some of those head north (more StreetLites.......)

Plus Go Ahead have recently purchased some ex First ADL Enviro 200 from Ensign (some being used in Manchester) so GAG buying mid-life from other groups isn't out of the question.
(01 Oct 2023, 7:28 pm)busmanT wrote Selective "pre-owned" additions to the fleet - unless they are life expired, Go Ahead Group now tries to retain vehicles within the group when displaced by new deliveries. 

Oxford are getting 105 new electric buses, wonder if some of those displaced might head north? (more StreetDecks...........)
If all of the Queens Road fleet doesn't go into the "Bee Network Pool" when Tranche 2 starts, might some of those head north (more StreetLites.......)

Plus Go Ahead have recently purchased some ex First ADL Enviro 200 from Ensign (some being used in Manchester) so GAG buying mid-life from other groups isn't out of the question.
Are Oxford profitable? 

Also Oxford 105 buses which theyre getting will be replace a significant chunk of vehciles aged between 8 years old and 4 years old. 

Does anyone know what they plan to displace?
(01 Oct 2023, 9:53 pm)Acky81 wrote I thought all the citaros were leaving GNE?
Why are they still on washingtons number 4?
No, this was never a thing. 

Just getting rid of all the 08 plates, I hope GNE will see more citaros eventually. But I doubt it, 4 Citaros will likely go within the next few years tho
(01 Oct 2023, 10:04 pm)Unber43 wrote No, this was never a thing. 

Just getting rid of all the 08 plates, I hope GNE will see more citaros eventually. But I doubt it, 4 Citaros will likely go within the next few years tho

Which is a shame as they are the most comfortable buses in the North East I've been on.
(14 Oct 2023, 2:12 pm)Unber43 wrote Not really on topic but does anyone have a photo of what a GNE duty card looks like

There's loads of photos online. 
Or next time you're on a bus, give it a little side eye.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(14 Oct 2023, 7:29 pm)Andreos1 wrote There's loads of photos online. 
Or next time you're on a bus, give it a little side eye.
Cannot find any GNE ones, there used to be some on Ebay for special christmas/boxing day timetables but cannot find them
(14 Oct 2023, 8:20 pm)NL62WVW wrote Unber43
Thanks Very Much!

Drivers must be sick of the 21 route if thats what the rota is normally like for them
(14 Oct 2023, 8:55 pm)Unber43 wrote Thanks Very Much!

Drivers must be sick of the 21 route if thats what the rota is normally like for them

Really? That's only 3 return trips.

We can do up to 6 trips on the 20 (ie Fawcett St - Pennywell and back 6 times). Don't know if the shift still exists but there used to be one that did 6 return trips on the 20 and then a 3 from Fawcett Street to the Wheatsheaf - it was absolutely soul destroying.

Also that's just one shift, nothing to do with the rota there. Could well be that drivers get the 21 maybe a couple times in a week at most.
(15 Oct 2023, 9:35 am)F114TML wrote Really? That's only 3 return trips.

We can do up to 6 trips on the 20 (ie Fawcett St - Pennywell and back 6 times). Don't know if the shift still exists but there used to be one that did 6 return trips on the 20 and then a 3 from Fawcett Street to the Wheatsheaf - it was absolutely soul destroying.

Also that's just one shift, nothing to do with the rota there. Could well be that drivers get the 21 maybe a couple times in a week at most.
I was under the impression that 21/X21 are on a rota by themselves
(15 Oct 2023, 11:04 am)Unber43 wrote I was under the impression that 21/X21 are on a rota by themselves

There's a 58 at the end of the duty posted?
(15 Oct 2023, 11:04 am)Unber43 wrote I was under the impression that 21/X21 are on a rota by themselves

Changed in September, 21/X21/53/54/58 on the Rota now
Views and Opinions are my own
(15 Oct 2023, 11:28 am)NL62WVW wrote Changed in September, 21/X21/53/54/58 on the Rota now
So what happened to the Q3 then, as that was also on a seperate rota with the 53/54