Menu

Pages (47)    14 5 647   
Unber43   21 Sep 2023, 11:05 pm
(21 Sep 2023, 10:50 pm)Jimmi wrote I'd imagine mid to late next week for any info on service levels at a guess based on previous strike action from other companies and proposed strike action from GNE.

For service levels, my assumptions is priority being services around peak times and school times/scholars then whatever can be sourced beyond that.

i think contracted services will be prioritised, as they are guaranteed money makers. 

Also are NX drivers included in the strike?
R852 PRG   22 Sep 2023, 1:27 am
(21 Sep 2023, 11:05 pm)Unber43 wrote i think contracted services will be prioritised, as they are guaranteed money makers. 

Also are NX drivers included in the strike?

No.
NL62WVW   22 Sep 2023, 8:08 am
(21 Sep 2023, 9:11 pm)Unber43 wrote With the talks being Friday I hope they release timetables if any before hand incase nothing comes about the talks as 3-6pm the day before the strike would be awful

Will more than likely be School Buses that are a priority rather than service work.

Also if a vehicle needs a defect signed off and there's no engineers there then it can't leave the depot.

Views and Opinions are my own
itsadam   22 Sep 2023, 6:44 pm
(22 Sep 2023, 8:08 am)NL62WVW wrote Will more than likely be School Buses that are a priority rather than service work.

Also if a vehicle needs a defect signed off and there's no engineers there then it can't leave the depot.

Engineers aren't striking?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
deanmachine   22 Sep 2023, 7:54 pm
(22 Sep 2023, 6:44 pm)itsadam wrote Engineers aren't striking?

They are, it's all staff at the company included. They haven't even offered the engineers any deal at all.
Acky81   23 Sep 2023, 2:01 pm
This Nigel clown at go north east is ruining the business. He made a shambles of go north west. Lost a depot to Stagecoach in Manchester. Making drivers go 5 hours driving without a break and now non paid breaks. Drivers working 51-52 hours a week!! Cutting services let right and centre. 
Time to sort it Nigel 
Pay your drivers fairly 
Breaks to be paid or at least half paid 
Stop wasting money on painting buses every month and debrand all routes to go north east colours!!!
Sunderland and District is pointless
It never worked. The fox and the graphites now work together making it pointless 

Sort it out before the go north east fades into a distant memory
citaro5284   23 Sep 2023, 5:07 pm
(23 Sep 2023, 2:01 pm)Acky81 wrote This Nigel clown at go north east is ruining the business. He made a shambles of go north west. Lost a depot to Stagecoach in Manchester. Making drivers go 5 hours driving without a break and now non paid breaks. Drivers working 51-52 hours a week!! Cutting services let right and centre. 
Time to sort it Nigel 
Pay your drivers fairly 
Stop wasting money on painting buses every month and debrand all routes to go north east colours!!!
It never worked. The fox and the graphites now work together making it pointless 

But gained:

Stagecoach Wigan
Diamond Bolton
Arriva Bolton which also housed First Vantage

As with Tranche 1, it would appear tfgm are liking the idea of one operator dominating each tranche, so Queens Road was most probably going to go when GNW won Tranche 1.

It will be interesting what happens with Tranche 3, as I have said before includes Stockport and Tameside (areas like Aston under Lyne, Denton and Hyde) which is pretty much Stagecoach territory with them winning Tranche 2.  I cannot see tfgm wanting 1 single operator to run both Tranche 2 and 3.

Anyway, back to pay deal at GNE.......
Storx   23 Sep 2023, 5:21 pm
(23 Sep 2023, 5:07 pm)citaro5284 wrote But gained:

Stagecoach Wigan
Diamond Bolton
Arriva Bolton which also housed First Vantage

As with Tranche 1, it would appear tfgm are liking the idea of one operator dominating each tranche, so Queens Road was most probably going to go when GNW won Tranche 1.

It will be interesting what happens with Tranche 3, as I have said before includes Stockport and Tameside (areas like Aston under Lyne, Denton and Hyde) which is pretty much Stagecoach territory with them winning Tranche 2.  I cannot see tfgm wanting 1 single operator to run both Tranche 2 and 3.

Anyway, back to pay deal at GNE.......

Not really relevant to the thread, must admit, but surely it's just lowest bid wins rather than picking people based on merit. No reason why Stagecoach can't have two areas, if they're the best bidder. That would just make a mockery of the bidding process in the first place.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
R852 PRG   23 Sep 2023, 7:10 pm
(23 Sep 2023, 5:21 pm)Storx wrote Not really relevant to the thread, must admit, but surely it's just lowest bid wins rather than picking people based on merit. No reason why Stagecoach can't have two areas, if they're the best bidder. That would just make a mockery of the bidding process in the first place.

More about eggs and baskets.
Adrian   23 Sep 2023, 7:29 pm
(23 Sep 2023, 5:21 pm)Storx wrote Not really relevant to the thread, must admit, but surely it's just lowest bid wins rather than picking people based on merit. No reason why Stagecoach can't have two areas, if they're the best bidder. That would just make a mockery of the bidding process in the first place.
(23 Sep 2023, 7:10 pm)R852 PRG wrote More about eggs and baskets.

And not uncommon in public sector procurement.

Having one service management layer across multiple towers/tranches, each ran by external providers, in an attempt to increase competition and create better value. I'm not convinced it does either, that being said.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
54APhotography   23 Sep 2023, 8:06 pm
(23 Sep 2023, 2:01 pm)Acky81 wrote This Nigel clown at go north east is ruining the business. He made a shambles of go north west. Lost a depot to Stagecoach in Manchester. Making drivers go 5 hours driving without a break and now non paid breaks. Drivers working 51-52 hours a week!! Cutting services let right and centre. 
Time to sort it Nigel 
Pay your drivers fairly 

Had a pop at him on Twitter and just got blocked. Call him out for what he did in the past, he really doesn't like it
mb134   23 Sep 2023, 8:24 pm
(23 Sep 2023, 2:01 pm)Acky81 wrote Making drivers go 5 hours driving without a break

While I agree that the conditions at GNE seem a bit dodgy at present, 5 hour driving stints without a break are both totally legal (a break is required after 5.5 hours of driving under UK domestic rules) and common in more operators than just GNE.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unber43   23 Sep 2023, 11:28 pm
I don't really think with GNE that youre driving a full 5 hours without at least a few 10 min breaks (if you run on time) at Deptford atleast, Washington/Riverside unless youre driving the X10 youre going to struggle especially with delays
Adrian   24 Sep 2023, 1:05 am
(23 Sep 2023, 8:24 pm)mb134 wrote While I agree that the conditions at GNE seem a bit dodgy at present, 5 hour driving stints without a break are both totally legal (a break is required after 5.5 hours of driving under UK domestic rules) and common in more operators than just GNE.
It's one of those things, I guess. It might be legal and just under the maximum, but much like breaks, they're maximums and minimums, not targets.

I sometimes think businesses can lose sight of that, instead of looking to balance what works best for the workforce with the business needs.
(23 Sep 2023, 11:28 pm)Unber43 wrote I don't really think with GNE that youre driving a full 5 hours without at least a few 10 min breaks (if you run on time) at Deptford atleast, Washington/Riverside unless youre driving the X10 youre going to struggle especially with delays
Layover isn't a break, as it's not guaranteed.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk

Iamtheone8483748   25 Sep 2023, 8:04 am
Is it safe to assume that the talks on Friday didn't workout as the strikes have not yet been called off.
Unber43   25 Sep 2023, 8:10 am
(25 Sep 2023, 8:04 am)Iamtheone8483748 wrote Is it safe to assume that the talks on Friday didn't workout as the strikes have not yet been called off.
I thought the talks were this Friday?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Iamtheone8483748   25 Sep 2023, 8:22 am
Nope.

"Talks have been arranged for Friday 22 September and we will continue to keep you updated via our website and social media channels."
NL62WVW   25 Sep 2023, 8:48 am
More ACAS talks tomorrow

Views and Opinions are my own
mb134   25 Sep 2023, 10:50 am
(25 Sep 2023, 10:33 am)KingSlayerRBLX wrote https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/update-industrial-action

"Depots affected are Consett, Gateshead, Hexham, Percy Main (North Shields), Sunderland and Washington."

That is all depots right? I'd have thought it would be easier to communicate that all depots are impacted rather than listing a bunch of places, given most members of the public will have zero idea which depot runs their service and may think their service could still be running?
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   25 Sep 2023, 10:55 am
(25 Sep 2023, 10:50 am)mb134 wrote "Depots affected are Consett, Gateshead, Hexham, Percy Main (North Shields), Sunderland and Washington."

That is all depots right? I'd have thought it would be easier to communicate that all depots are impacted rather than listing a bunch of places, given most members of the public will have zero idea which depot runs their service and may think their service could still be running?

I agree, I don't think most customers would link their bus service to a depot. 

In terms of the statement, I think it's a better move that they've stuck to it being a short and clear statement, without trying to wade in with the usual propaganda.

User2613   25 Sep 2023, 11:41 am
I’m just going to ask the question but how is anything in that statement an update on the information that had already been briefed out?

GNE had already said to make alternative arrangements in their previous statement and that very few if any services would run.

If GNE don’t have any additional useful information for customers then why repeat the same information again claiming to be an update.

It’s just more evidence they don’t care about customers and just many to make themselves look good for being “transparent” ready for a back patting down the road.
Unber43   25 Sep 2023, 11:48 am
Wonder when the timetables will come out, maybe tomorrow after the talks if they break down
Adrian   25 Sep 2023, 11:54 am
(25 Sep 2023, 11:41 am)User2613 wrote I’m just going to ask the question but how is anything in that statement an update on the information that had already been briefed out?

GNE had already said to make alternative arrangements in their previous statement and that very few if any services would run.

If GNE don’t have any additional useful information for customers then why repeat the same information again claiming to be an update.

It’s just more evidence they don’t care about customers and just many to make themselves look good for being “transparent” ready for a back patting down the road.

I disagree. They put out on their Social Media that they'll be attending talks facilitated by ACAS on Friday 22nd September, so I think they've put the onus on themselves to provide an update to customers following that, even if nothing has changed.

Buses are the only option for many, so customers will be understandably desperate for information and updates. They're unfortunate to be stuck in the middle, but I hope they're understanding that any action like this is an absolute last resort by Union members. As much as the company are keen to blame Unite, it always takes two to tango, and there'd not be a dispute if there wasn't a bad employer in the mix.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Unber43   25 Sep 2023, 12:01 pm
What even are the demands of Drivers and Engineers?

Also whos going to okay the buses for service, aswell if they break down is ALPHA just going to come and take it back to the Depot till it cna be repaired
streetdeckfan   25 Sep 2023, 12:54 pm
(25 Sep 2023, 11:41 am)User2613 wrote I’m just going to ask the question but how is anything in that statement an update on the information that had already been briefed out?

You can say exactly the same thing about Unite!
User2613   25 Sep 2023, 1:45 pm
(25 Sep 2023, 11:54 am)Adrian wrote I disagree. They put out on their Social Media that they'll be attending talks facilitated by ACAS on Friday 22nd September, so I think they've put the onus on themselves to provide an update to customers following that, even if nothing has changed.

Buses are the only option for many, so customers will be understandably desperate for information and updates. They're unfortunate to be stuck in the middle, but I hope they're understanding that any action like this is an absolute last resort by Union members. As much as the company are keen to blame Unite, it always takes two to tango, and there'd not be a dispute if there wasn't a bad employer in the mix.

I don’t disagree that they put the onus on themselves to make some kind of statement following the talks but to me at least it feels as if they have tried to pass it off as new information. If nothing has changed then say that. Could quite easily have said 

“ACAS talks took place on Friday 22nd of September -and further talks will be taking place on Tuesday 26th September. However, at this time no agreement has been reached and trikes are still planned to go ahead on the following dates:

Xxxx

We are still advising that passengers make alternative arrangements for the duration of these strikes as only a skeleton service will run and school busses will be prioritised. 

We apologise for the disruption that will be caused during these strikes and will issue and update in due course should talks ACAS talks progress in a positive manner.”

It’s a lot more transparent and makes it clear that there is no change in position.
Busu284   25 Sep 2023, 1:55 pm
Is it possible that if a Skelton service does happen. Would this cause some depot to shut and other depots run service.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Adrian   25 Sep 2023, 3:27 pm
(25 Sep 2023, 12:54 pm)streetdeckfan wrote You can say exactly the same thing about Unite!

Unite are looking after the interests of their members, which is the purpose of a Trade Union. It's the purpose of a business, such as Go North East, to look after the interests of their customers. 

It's unfortunate that ordinary people get caught in the middle of disputes, but a strike wouldn't apply much leverage if it didn't cause any disruption. That's what it's for, after all, to attempt to force an employer's hand to being reasonable. No one takes a decision to strike lightly.

Storx   25 Sep 2023, 3:37 pm
(25 Sep 2023, 3:27 pm)Adrian wrote Unite are looking after the interests of their members, which is the purpose of a Trade Union. It's the purpose of a business, such as Go North East, to look after the interests of their customers shareholders. 

Corrected that for you. If they had the interests of their customers there wouldn't be a strike in the first place.
Pages (47)    14 5 647