Menu

North East Buses Other Forms of Transport Railways Leamside Line

Leamside Line

Leamside Line

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Pages (6) Previous 14 5 6 Next
Storx

05 Oct 2023, 9:55 am #81
(05 Oct 2023, 8:52 am)Unber43 is Leamside track stil down, or will it need all rebuilding

The Leamside Line is only the line from Newcastle to Ferryhill aswell, the section between Penshaw and South Hylton is much more expensive. It's been removed since the 60's and the A19 and houses are in the track line. There's never, as far as I'm aware, been a line from Washington towards South Hylton (the North / East curve). It won't ever be built that part as imo it's not really needed / useful.
Storx
05 Oct 2023, 9:55 am #81

(05 Oct 2023, 8:52 am)Unber43 is Leamside track stil down, or will it need all rebuilding

The Leamside Line is only the line from Newcastle to Ferryhill aswell, the section between Penshaw and South Hylton is much more expensive. It's been removed since the 60's and the A19 and houses are in the track line. There's never, as far as I'm aware, been a line from Washington towards South Hylton (the North / East curve). It won't ever be built that part as imo it's not really needed / useful.

Adrian

05 Oct 2023, 10:29 am #82
(05 Oct 2023, 9:55 am)Storx The Leamside Line is only the line from Newcastle to Ferryhill aswell, the section between Penshaw and South Hylton is much more expensive. It's been removed since the 60's and the A19 and houses are in the track line. There's never, as far as I'm aware, been a line from Washington towards South Hylton (the North / East curve). It won't ever be built that part as imo it's not really needed / useful.

The A19 and houses aren't in the track line. It's still there as a walking (and I think part, vehicular) route, and I understand that Network Rail still own the track bed between South Hylton and the junction on to the Leamside line.

There is an underpass under the A19. It's been 20 years since I've walked through it, but they'd need to do something with that to allow clearance for trains, which I don't think would be a massive project.

The curve itself from South Hylton to Washington, I agree, I don't think there's ever been one. There's nothing really in the way of it though, and I imagine the TNE plans included purchase of that land, if not already owned.

Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Adrian
05 Oct 2023, 10:29 am #82

(05 Oct 2023, 9:55 am)Storx The Leamside Line is only the line from Newcastle to Ferryhill aswell, the section between Penshaw and South Hylton is much more expensive. It's been removed since the 60's and the A19 and houses are in the track line. There's never, as far as I'm aware, been a line from Washington towards South Hylton (the North / East curve). It won't ever be built that part as imo it's not really needed / useful.

The A19 and houses aren't in the track line. It's still there as a walking (and I think part, vehicular) route, and I understand that Network Rail still own the track bed between South Hylton and the junction on to the Leamside line.

There is an underpass under the A19. It's been 20 years since I've walked through it, but they'd need to do something with that to allow clearance for trains, which I don't think would be a massive project.

The curve itself from South Hylton to Washington, I agree, I don't think there's ever been one. There's nothing really in the way of it though, and I imagine the TNE plans included purchase of that land, if not already owned.

05 Oct 2023, 2:47 pm #83
(05 Oct 2023, 10:29 am)Adrian The A19 and houses aren't in the track line. It's still there as a walking (and I think part, vehicular) route, and I understand that Network Rail still own the track bed between South Hylton and the junction on to the Leamside line.

There's a farm house on the corner that might be a little in the way, but they could easily avoid it by using some of the fields to get a bigger curve to get to the Victoria Viaduct from South Hylton.
deanmachine
05 Oct 2023, 2:47 pm #83

(05 Oct 2023, 10:29 am)Adrian The A19 and houses aren't in the track line. It's still there as a walking (and I think part, vehicular) route, and I understand that Network Rail still own the track bed between South Hylton and the junction on to the Leamside line.

There's a farm house on the corner that might be a little in the way, but they could easily avoid it by using some of the fields to get a bigger curve to get to the Victoria Viaduct from South Hylton.

cbma06

05 Oct 2023, 2:56 pm #84
Looks like government have done a quick u turn a day later to scrap any funding for the leamside line and only proposing to open the southern end upto ferryhill only, that must be a record for the corrupt government

https://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/news/2...i9ngky1znj

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbma06
05 Oct 2023, 2:56 pm #84

Looks like government have done a quick u turn a day later to scrap any funding for the leamside line and only proposing to open the southern end upto ferryhill only, that must be a record for the corrupt government

Andreos1

05 Oct 2023, 5:00 pm #85
(05 Oct 2023, 2:56 pm)cbma06 Looks like government have done a quick u turn a day later to scrap any funding for the leamside line and only proposing to open the southern end upto ferryhill only, that must be a record for the corrupt government

Done the same with HS2 apparently. 
Just yesterday, Sunak was committing to it running all the way to Euston. 
According to what I've just heard on the radio, it's not going to.

'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Andreos1
05 Oct 2023, 5:00 pm #85

(05 Oct 2023, 2:56 pm)cbma06 Looks like government have done a quick u turn a day later to scrap any funding for the leamside line and only proposing to open the southern end upto ferryhill only, that must be a record for the corrupt government

Done the same with HS2 apparently. 

Storx

05 Oct 2023, 5:03 pm #86

I can't confirm 100% but I do believe there's stuff on the track around the Cox Green area, namely here - https://www.google.com/maps/@54.8882333,...?entry=ttu

The A19 would need widened aswell I believe, as it's only wide enough for one track. Be quick an expensive job for not sure exactly what.

Anyone travelling from Washington it would be quicker to get a direct bus, since the train station is so out of the way and heading to Sunderland from elsewhere there's already a direct service anyway. Going in the opposite direction I'm not sure why anyone would really use it as the stations are in the middle of nowhere in terms of a destination.

I could get the argument for Sunderland South though.
Storx
05 Oct 2023, 5:03 pm #86

I can't confirm 100% but I do believe there's stuff on the track around the Cox Green area, namely here - https://www.google.com/maps/@54.8882333,...?entry=ttu

The A19 would need widened aswell I believe, as it's only wide enough for one track. Be quick an expensive job for not sure exactly what.

Anyone travelling from Washington it would be quicker to get a direct bus, since the train station is so out of the way and heading to Sunderland from elsewhere there's already a direct service anyway. Going in the opposite direction I'm not sure why anyone would really use it as the stations are in the middle of nowhere in terms of a destination.

05 Oct 2023, 5:26 pm #87
(05 Oct 2023, 5:03 pm)Storx I can't confirm 100% but I do believe there's stuff on the track around the Cox Green area, namely here - https://www.google.com/maps/@54.8882333,...?entry=ttu

Linking Nissan and Amazon to the metro network, as well as eastern Washington would be worth it imo. Although if they were really serious about it they should find a way to get the metro going to the Galleries to me, then have the original part of the Leamside as a heavy rail link.
deanmachine
05 Oct 2023, 5:26 pm #87

(05 Oct 2023, 5:03 pm)Storx I can't confirm 100% but I do believe there's stuff on the track around the Cox Green area, namely here - https://www.google.com/maps/@54.8882333,...?entry=ttu

Linking Nissan and Amazon to the metro network, as well as eastern Washington would be worth it imo. Although if they were really serious about it they should find a way to get the metro going to the Galleries to me, then have the original part of the Leamside as a heavy rail link.

Storx

05 Oct 2023, 6:01 pm #88
(05 Oct 2023, 5:26 pm)deanmachine Linking Nissan and Amazon to the metro network, as well as eastern Washington would be worth it imo. Although if they were really serious about it they should find a way to get the metro going to the Galleries to me, then have the original part of the Leamside as a heavy rail link.

Aye wasn't clear, there I specifically about the Washington - South Hylton part. Agreed about the section to Washington though, not sure how feasable it would be but I'm surprised they've never looked at going West and heading towards Barley Mow and beyond. The track is all free that way aswell, would link Birtley, Chester Le Street, Stanley and Anfield Plain to the Metro aswell. I know it wouldn't be the most direct route but it would be very competitive with a bus and restore links like Gateshead.

Route I was talking about:

Would mean they could bang about getting 'the Metro towards Consett', it's half way there. The section beyond Chester Le Street might be harder to pull off, benefits wise, but I could imagine the section between Washington and CLS North being very popular. Public transport in those areas is generally dreadful.
Storx
05 Oct 2023, 6:01 pm #88

(05 Oct 2023, 5:26 pm)deanmachine Linking Nissan and Amazon to the metro network, as well as eastern Washington would be worth it imo. Although if they were really serious about it they should find a way to get the metro going to the Galleries to me, then have the original part of the Leamside as a heavy rail link.

Aye wasn't clear, there I specifically about the Washington - South Hylton part. Agreed about the section to Washington though, not sure how feasable it would be but I'm surprised they've never looked at going West and heading towards Barley Mow and beyond. The track is all free that way aswell, would link Birtley, Chester Le Street, Stanley and Anfield Plain to the Metro aswell. I know it wouldn't be the most direct route but it would be very competitive with a bus and restore links like Gateshead.

Route I was talking about:

Would mean they could bang about getting 'the Metro towards Consett', it's half way there. The section beyond Chester Le Street might be harder to pull off, benefits wise, but I could imagine the section between Washington and CLS North being very popular. Public transport in those areas is generally dreadful.

F114TML

05 Oct 2023, 6:04 pm #89
(05 Oct 2023, 5:00 pm)Andreos1 Done the same with HS2 apparently. 

I believe the Euston bit is now subject to private funding
F114TML
05 Oct 2023, 6:04 pm #89

(05 Oct 2023, 5:00 pm)Andreos1 Done the same with HS2 apparently. 

I believe the Euston bit is now subject to private funding

Rob44

18 Oct 2023, 5:33 pm #90
https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...l-27935869

Who telling to truth Dricoll or Gannon??
Rob44
18 Oct 2023, 5:33 pm #90

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...l-27935869

18 Oct 2023, 5:44 pm #91
(18 Oct 2023, 5:33 pm)Rob44 https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...l-27935869

I wouldn't trust anything Labour say about Driscoll, they're actively trying to discredit him at every opportunity.
deanmachine
18 Oct 2023, 5:44 pm #91

(18 Oct 2023, 5:33 pm)Rob44 https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/nor...l-27935869

I wouldn't trust anything Labour say about Driscoll, they're actively trying to discredit him at every opportunity.

18 Oct 2023, 5:49 pm #92

Neither put simply.

The caveat for the funding is a directly elected mayor, but already it is known funding across his realm won't meet the requirements of cost of what is in effect a new railway.

The figure will be well in excess of £2bn as costings were taken some time ago and prices of every material have since risen.

Driscoll would be ideal as an independent, and therefore unlikely to be penalised by petty party politics,  but even if Starmer end up PM, don't expect much money coming our way.
54APhotography
18 Oct 2023, 5:49 pm #92

Neither put simply.

The caveat for the funding is a directly elected mayor, but already it is known funding across his realm won't meet the requirements of cost of what is in effect a new railway.

The figure will be well in excess of £2bn as costings were taken some time ago and prices of every material have since risen.

Driscoll would be ideal as an independent, and therefore unlikely to be penalised by petty party politics,  but even if Starmer end up PM, don't expect much money coming our way.

Adrian

18 Oct 2023, 5:59 pm #93
(18 Oct 2023, 5:44 pm)deanmachine I wouldn't trust anything Labour say about Driscoll, they're actively trying to discredit him at every opportunity.

Absolutely. Gannon is a staunch supporter of the Labour candidate for the role. 

It's also a bit ironic him stating “a level of naivety that we do not need in leadership in the North East of England”, when it can't have been even 18 months ago that they were all praising receiving a pittance of the £800 million they bid for in their BSIP.

(18 Oct 2023, 5:49 pm)54APhotography Neither put simply.

The figure will be in excess of, yeah, but I'm not sure the 'excess of £2bn' is entirely accurate. The original figures were from a consultancy they hired for the feasibility study, but it's the structural engineering reports, yet to be completed, that will give a more accurate figure.

Driscoll, in my opinion, is the only way we'll get someone looking after the North East. When Labour inevitably win the next GE, should their Mayor candidate also win, she'll end up following the hymn sheet from Westminster. We already know from their conference last week, that there's very little in the way of new money.

Adrian
18 Oct 2023, 5:59 pm #93

(18 Oct 2023, 5:44 pm)deanmachine I wouldn't trust anything Labour say about Driscoll, they're actively trying to discredit him at every opportunity.

Absolutely. Gannon is a staunch supporter of the Labour candidate for the role. 

It's also a bit ironic him stating “a level of naivety that we do not need in leadership in the North East of England”, when it can't have been even 18 months ago that they were all praising receiving a pittance of the £800 million they bid for in their BSIP.

(18 Oct 2023, 5:49 pm)54APhotography Neither put simply.

The figure will be in excess of, yeah, but I'm not sure the 'excess of £2bn' is entirely accurate. The original figures were from a consultancy they hired for the feasibility study, but it's the structural engineering reports, yet to be completed, that will give a more accurate figure.

Driscoll, in my opinion, is the only way we'll get someone looking after the North East. When Labour inevitably win the next GE, should their Mayor candidate also win, she'll end up following the hymn sheet from Westminster. We already know from their conference last week, that there's very little in the way of new money.

Andreos1

08 Mar 2024, 4:09 pm #94
https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cv2yld3jrzgo

Back on track?

Andreos1
08 Mar 2024, 4:09 pm #94

https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cv2yld3jrzgo

Back on track?

Adrian

08 Mar 2024, 4:12 pm #95
(08 Mar 2024, 4:09 pm)Andreos1 https://www.bbc.com/news/articles/cv2yld3jrzgo

Back on track?

Could have had the thing built by now, the amount of time Gannon has been stood there in hi-vis and a hard hat.

Adrian
08 Mar 2024, 4:12 pm #95

Back on track?

Could have had the thing built by now, the amount of time Gannon has been stood there in hi-vis and a hard hat.

08 Mar 2024, 4:26 pm #96

Back on track?

Another feasibility study. The case was made years ago. Now £350k for more hot air ...
54APhotography
08 Mar 2024, 4:26 pm #96

Back on track?

Another feasibility study. The case was made years ago. Now £350k for more hot air ...

Rob44

08 Mar 2024, 4:33 pm #97
Can someone sell me the idea of why this money should be sent so i can travel from my penthouse near pelaw to Tursdale or even why i would want too????
Rob44
08 Mar 2024, 4:33 pm #97

Can someone sell me the idea of why this money should be sent so i can travel from my penthouse near pelaw to Tursdale or even why i would want too????

08 Mar 2024, 4:36 pm #98
(08 Mar 2024, 4:33 pm)Rob44 Can someone sell me the idea of why this money should be sent so i can travel from my penthouse near pelaw to Tursdale or even why i would want too????

The national rail case for the line doesn't really include stations, that's for local authorities and Nexus to work on. This, and considerable infrastructure work around Gateshead is primarily to increase capacity
54APhotography
08 Mar 2024, 4:36 pm #98

(08 Mar 2024, 4:33 pm)Rob44 Can someone sell me the idea of why this money should be sent so i can travel from my penthouse near pelaw to Tursdale or even why i would want too????

The national rail case for the line doesn't really include stations, that's for local authorities and Nexus to work on. This, and considerable infrastructure work around Gateshead is primarily to increase capacity

Adrian

08 Mar 2024, 4:49 pm #99

Because even if you don't want to or won't use it, others will, and supposedly the numbers stack up for it. 

Why should you have electricity and running water in your penthouse, when it doesn't benefit me that you do?

Adrian
08 Mar 2024, 4:49 pm #99

Because even if you don't want to or won't use it, others will, and supposedly the numbers stack up for it. 

Why should you have electricity and running water in your penthouse, when it doesn't benefit me that you do?

Andreos1

08 Mar 2024, 6:04 pm #100

Because the train from the penthouse can take you to exotic Spoons far away. Not just Tursdale.

Meanwhile the residents in places like Fencehouses (we've not heard that mentioned for a while), can shove the pi$$ poor bus service that GNE and GCT offer, up their shareholders sphincter.

Andreos1
08 Mar 2024, 6:04 pm #100

Because the train from the penthouse can take you to exotic Spoons far away. Not just Tursdale.

Meanwhile the residents in places like Fencehouses (we've not heard that mentioned for a while), can shove the pi$$ poor bus service that GNE and GCT offer, up their shareholders sphincter.

Pages (6) Previous 14 5 6 Next

• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average