You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
(03 Nov 2023, 5:26 pm)Dan wrote Other than the 308, of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The 308 is out for tender for boxing day? I wonder if Arriva will run anything this year (with subsidy of course).
Im sure our favourite commercial manager is already updating his excel spreadsheet ready to swoop, should he have any drivers yet
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(03 Nov 2023, 5:26 pm)Dan wrote Other than the 308, of course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does include the 306 or is the 306 a separate one
(03 Nov 2023, 6:14 pm)citaro5284 wrote https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-67309468?

Parent company Go-Ahead, which is based in Newcastle, said it "supported" Go North East's approach to negotiations.

It’s unlikely the parent company would ever publicly criticise one of its offshoots.
(03 Nov 2023, 6:37 pm)Unber43 wrote The approach of spitting your dummy out?

Well that's GoAhead publicly backing Feetham and Maxfield.

In an ideal world Stagecoach would be aggressively whacking in routes now...
(03 Nov 2023, 8:47 pm)54APhotography wrote In an ideal world Stagecoach would be aggressively whacking in routes now...

Well Stagecoach have two options with the 22.....

1.) 22 every 20 minutes, new 23 every 20 minutes to Hadrian Park (competes against 41/41A/307) - no extra PVR needed and would reduce PVR by 1x.

Or the more brutal option........

2.) 22 every 20 minutes, new 23 every 20 minutes running the exact same route as the 22 Throckley to Newcastle.....then as per the 1 to Whitley Bay. This would obviously require extra PVR and more drivers.
(03 Nov 2023, 9:25 pm)L469 YVK wrote Well Stagecoach have two options with the 22.....

1.) 22 every 20 minutes, new 23 every 20 minutes to Hadrian Park (competes against 41/41A/307) - no extra PVR needed and would reduce PVR by 1x.

Or the more brutal option........

2.) 22 every 20 minutes, new 23 every 20 minutes running the exact same route as the 22 Throckley to Newcastle.....then as per the 1 to Whitley Bay. This would obviously require extra PVR and more drivers.

I heard the 22 extensions were a future plan.

I was thinking more A690 corridor, A185/A194. South Tyne etc
Newcastle to Durham, Durham to Sunderland, Seaham, Houghton-Newcastle are all massive markets, whcih I would try and dive into

(03 Nov 2023, 9:29 pm)Unber43 wrote More talks were happening today i heard
Or atleast trying to, just apparently GNE are refusing to do any sort of negotiations. 

So maybe this will last to the 19th January, back for a couple weeks then off for another 12.

Can drivers get second jobs while on strike? I would defo maybe look at becoming a delivery driver temp, I think GNE drivers will be leaving if Arriva/SC New deals go through theyll just want more and theyre due for renewal by Christmas, atleast I know SC Sunderland is not sure about any Arriva bar Northumbria.

Extend the 4 to Boldon

Extend the 3 to Low Moorsley.

X1 daily every 30 mins 20/20A route to Durham

(possibly the extension of the E's) Sunderland to Seaham/Murton/Parkside

Not sure if many people would want to expand west of durham into Stanley/Consett
(03 Nov 2023, 8:47 pm)54APhotography wrote Well that's GoAhead publicly backing Feetham and Maxfield.

In an ideal world Stagecoach would be aggressively whacking in routes now...

Don't agree with Stagecoach, it's not really their area so doesn't make much sense. As soon as this is all over they'll be at a massive disadvantage as the depots are just in the wrong place.

It's Arriva who should be the ones, if anyone, especially the X12 corridor especially since GNE shot thereselves in the foot and shut Chester Le Street, Belmont being at the right side of the route. Similar if they really wanted to go for the A690 corridor, the depot literally sits on it.

South Tyneside is a weak area, they're probably happy they don't have it. It's dominated by the Metro and is mostly car orientated.

Obviously this is ignoring the driver and fleet issues mind.
But Go-Ahead are backing GNE approach of spitting its dummy out, the new NT Services are dead in the water now. People have had to choose other options, and they might stick to them its doing more harm than good!
(03 Nov 2023, 9:46 pm)Storx wrote Don't agree with Stagecoach, it's not really their area so doesn't make much sense. As soon as this is all over they'll be at a massive disadvantage as the depots are just in the wrong place.

It's Arriva who should be the ones, if anyone, especially the X12 corridor. South Tyneside is a weak area, they're probably happy they don't have it. It's dominated by the Metro and is mostly car orientated.
A690? Wheatsheaf 
A185/A194 Shields
South Tyne Slatyford

No issues for depots, just issues of getting drivers.
(03 Nov 2023, 9:51 pm)54APhotography wrote A690? Wheatsheaf 
A185/A194 Shields
South Tyne Slatyford

Not if they raise the wages to £15.

How do the GNE/SCNE current conditions vary?
Stagecoach get a lot of stick (deservedly at times) but I can’t praise the proactiveness of their team in reacting to strikes. They’ve reached out to People Departments, furnished us with alternative routes and information, no pressure either, just a genuine supportive piece. A lot of colleagues are hugely impressed with how much quicker the 22X is vs the X39 for example (and nicer vehicles too)

The majority of people I manage, in the low thousands, are hybrid and do one or two days. They have no loyalty to an operator but after the utter failure of trying to get anything out of GNE for the past few months, we’re strongly pushing Stagecoach along with nexus options to colleagues where it’s available.

I have to credit the nexus and cobalt travel teams too for doing their darnedest and the very lovely people at Gateshead central for their efforts too
(03 Nov 2023, 9:51 pm)54APhotography wrote A690? Wheatsheaf 
A185/A194 Shields
South Tyne Slatyford

Slatyford is quite far, to get South of the Tyne where people actually are and they don't have anywhere to do driver breaks.

A185/A194 is a weak area, they won't want it imo. Have to remember they arguably already serve the busiest part of the A690 anyway with the 3 and 4 aswell.

The 56 is the route I'd go for if I was them though tbf, additionally serving the Washington Galleries somehow, gold mine of a route there.
(03 Nov 2023, 10:01 pm)Ambassador wrote Stagecoach get a lot of stick (deservedly at times) but I can’t praise the proactiveness of their team in reacting to strikes. They’ve reached out to People Departments, furnished us with alternative routes and information, no pressure either, just a genuine supportive piece. A lot of colleagues are hugely impressed with how much quicker the 22X is vs the X39 for example (and nicer vehicles too)

Ive said this before to get people to use the bus, it cannot be a bad bus e.g OmniDekka, or these awful london buses, theyre not going to attract anyone
(03 Nov 2023, 10:01 pm)Ambassador wrote Stagecoach get a lot of stick (deservedly at times) but I can’t praise the proactiveness of their team in reacting to strikes. They’ve reached out to People Departments, furnished us with alternative routes and information, no pressure either, just a genuine supportive piece. A lot of colleagues are hugely impressed with how much quicker the 22X is vs the X39 for example (and nicer vehicles too)

The majority of people I manage, in the low thousands, are hybrid and do one or two days. They have no loyalty to an operator but after the utter failure of trying to get anything out of GNE for the past few months, we’re strongly pushing Stagecoach along with nexus options to colleagues where it’s available.

I have to credit the nexus and cobalt travel teams too for doing their darnedest and the very lovely people at Gateshead central for their efforts too

Probably not the correct forum but… this is definitely not the Stagecoach I know and love. An ageing fleet of Enviro400s cancelled journeys if they rack up delay minutes leaving huge gaps in infrequent services. The E400 I was on last night had a strong smell of coolant/diesel inside the lower deck looked like someone had chucked a bucket of water over it. Failing that squashed into a Enviro200 on a route that is supposed to be a decker!
(03 Nov 2023, 9:46 pm)Storx wrote It's Arriva who should be the ones, if anyone, especially the X12 corridor especially since GNE shot thereselves in the foot and shut Chester Le Street, Belmont being at the right side of the route. Similar if they really wanted to go for the A690 corridor, the depot literally sits on it.

And bearing in mind.........

1.) ABTRL = PVR Reductions
2.) 43/44/45 getting ZEBRA funded vehicles
3.) Possible funding to electrify the Coast Road Corridor

Means vehicle availability. Add that to any drivers who live within reasonable distance fron Belmont.....Arriva could pull a competitor to the 21 out of the bag.
(03 Nov 2023, 11:13 pm)L469 YVK wrote And bearing in mind.........

Means vehicle availability. Add that to any drivers who live within reasonable distance fron Belmont.....Arriva could pull a competitor to the 21 out of the bag.
Perhaps some that transferred to Washington
(01 Nov 2023, 7:45 am)xpm wrote A view from the UNITE side I came across: 

**COPIED**
For people that want to know what we have been putting up with from our so called employers who blame us as drivers for disrupting the public with the strikes...

Strike update:

There's been a lot of mud slinging online about the strike but here's the facts.
-------
TLDR: - This strike has been 5 month in the making and in that time GNE have attended only 12 DAYS OF TALKS.
Don't blame the drivers.

Blame Go North East and the Go Ahead Group who have allowed the ego of two senior managers cause milions of pounds of damage to the north east.
------
Timeline:

May - the union held meetings with workers to decide what they wanted and put together a pay claim that everyone agreed to.

June - the union submitted the play claim which was refused.

June 23rd - GNE sumbit a counter offer including equivalent of Go North West's terms but with woeful pay offer which there is no chance the drivers would accept. Rep's rejected this.

July 1st - the date that the claim should be put into place. At the time RPI was 11.4%.

July 7th - Unite held pay talks with GNE who had failed to produce any new offer and afterwards were described as a waste of time by reps.

July 9th - talks are called off by GNE so Unite call a provisional ballot from workers on if they are prepared to strike. They overwhelmingly vote to strike so official strike procedures start.

July 9th - September 11th - GNE refuse any offer of talks with Rep's as they feel that providing the option to strike is showing a lack of "good faith"

September 12th - workers again vote overwhelmingly to strike. With 97.92% voting to strike and an 83.37% turnout. UNITE submit their intention for 2, week long strikes.

September 25th - GNE finally return to the table but refuse to offer any meaningful changes or even accept the concerns of the workers. Talks continue until the 27th when talks break down.

September 30th - first week long strike takes place. GNE tells reps that they are too busy to meet while striking is taken place.

10th October - GNE tells rep's they are willing to talk on the 11th.

11th October - GNE removes their conditions from their offer which the understanding that they will discuss terms separately over the next three months on a depot by depot basis. This was refused by the reps as it was an attempt to divide the depots and weaken them. Talks collapse.

13th October - UNITE submits intention for indefinite strike from the 28th October.

14th October - second week long strike. Again GNE are too busy to talk while strike action is taking place.

23rd October - talks start again with no movement. Unconfirmed reports are on the 24th GNE offered the same deal but with 10.5% if the Reps agreed to endorse it which they refused.

25th October - "The Watershed Moment" GNE give a final offer of 10.3% [taking drivers to 1p above stagecoach drivers]. Rep's tell GNE that workers will not accept these terms but will put it to ballot to prove it.

GNE releases this deal to the press before rep's are able to inform their workers so most find this out over social media. Press runs that the strike is over and that Unite have agreed the deal. THIS IS CATEGORICALLY UNTRUE.

Unite hold an emergency ballot on this offer.

October 27th
Richard Holden MP (Under secratary for transport and NW Durham MP) Stands up in Parliament and announces GNE & Unite have come to an agreement. He was incorrect. As was his source.

October 27th - workers again overwhelmingly reject this offer with 81% and a 93% turnout.

October 28th - workers are back on the picket line on indefinite strike.  Conditions have caused this,,, they say no conditions, but make the condition that conditions will be discussed / implemented over the next 3 months, depot by depot.

Also no driver wants a 2 year deal / con.
It needs to be a one year deal, end of.
Hope this helps.

Can I copy and repost this elsewhere?
(03 Nov 2023, 11:13 pm)L469 YVK wrote And bearing in mind.........

Even putting the full x12 back to twice an hour would be a start.
(04 Nov 2023, 12:22 am)BusLoverMum wrote Even putting the full x12 back to twice an hour would be a start.

From what I've heard, Arriva are more likely to increase the Middlesbrough to Durham end to every 20 minutes before any resources are ploughed into the Durham to Newcastle end again. Not going to happen unfortunately.
Just on the bus out of town there, and I'm sure 2 Arriva Streetlites were arriving into Eldon Square. Dupes for the run 1404 is tracking on?

They looked to be duping a fair amount of Durham to Newcastle runs during the day today.
(04 Nov 2023, 7:34 pm)mb134 wrote Just on the bus out of town there, and I'm sure 2 Arriva Streetlites were arriving into Eldon Square. Dupes for the run 1404 is tracking on?

They looked to be duping a fair amount of Durham to Newcastle runs during the day today.

If they've got the resource, they would be crazy not to. 
52k people needing to be shifted in and out and it's a prime opportunity to make the most AND show the public they could be an option.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(04 Nov 2023, 9:27 pm)Andreos1 wrote If they've got the resource, they would be crazy not to. 
52k people needing to be shifted in and out and it's a prime opportunity to make the most AND show the public they could be an option.

The duplicate I saw into town this afternoon had a standing load, and the decker following it in on the actual board was fairly busy too (though I couldn't properly see due to some fairly steamy windows). 

They do look to have duped the 2030 with 2x Streetlites in 1554/7. Obviously the financials will definitely stack up and that'll be a large factor in this, but I do agree that it shows they're going out of their way to get people home and you'd think people will remember that.
Credit to arriva for stepping in and reacting I caught one from low fell to Birtley for a quick pint in the railway before my ride to the game today.

A whole 20p cheaper than a fare capped GNE too…what’s not to love?