You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
(17 Nov 2023, 9:13 pm)MurdnunoC wrote So if all the bus drivers go and get better paid jobs, and you don't want to work from home due to being bored (or whatever), who is going to drive you to work? 

It's a pretty oxymoronic argument to make from your predicament. A lack of bus drivers means a lack of buses. And a lack of buses means people will migrate to other modes of transport thus less passengers. Less passengers means service reductions which, ultimately, restricts your ability to travel freely. So, like strike action, bus drivers seeking better wages elsewhere has the same overall outcome, so why wouldn't you want the people you rely on to be paid better in order to service your needs?   

As for me, well, I very rarely use the bus so neither strike action or a shortage of bus drivers affects me.

Whether he can afford it or not doesn't matter to me, personally. However, I am reminded of a quote sometimes attributed to the late, and allegedly great, Margaret Thatcher:

"anyone on a bus over the age of 25 is a failure"

As someone who likes espouse Thatcherite ideologies, I hope he moves on the EV pretty soon otherwise he's going to end up a failure, if he isn't already.

Me neither. But hypocrisy and all that jazz. 
Imagine going on about drivers moving on to a higher paid job and then moving on to a lower paid job themselves.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
Talks tomorrow with Nigel himself in person according to the social media rounds of course.

I do hope someone is bringing some nice biscuits
Wistfully stuck in the 90s
(19 Nov 2023, 10:59 pm)Ambassador wrote Talks tomorrow with Nigel himself in person according to the social media rounds of course.

I do hope someone is bringing some nice biscuits

I'll be sitting with my popcorn ready to see Ben call Unite all the names under the sun
(19 Nov 2023, 11:57 pm)Aaron21 wrote I'll be sitting with my popcorn ready to see Ben call Unite all the names under the sun

I've said it before, but the fact those notices are 'signed by' Ben, I genuinely believe he isn't writing them.
(20 Nov 2023, 5:42 am)RobinHood wrote I've said it before, but the fact those notices are 'signed by' Ben, I genuinely believe he isn't writing them.

He's the fall guy for sure. In all his media interviews he's reading off a script.
(20 Nov 2023, 5:42 am)RobinHood wrote I've said it before, but the fact those notices are 'signed by' Ben, I genuinely believe he isn't writing them.

I still wouldn't be surprised at all if they weren't actually written by anyone and all it is it just meaningless garbage churned out by ChatGPT or something.
[Image: imageHandler.php?user=wibblejunior]
(20 Nov 2023, 6:24 pm)Iamtheone8483748 wrote Going of social media, talks have failed again today and another meeting has been scheduled for Friday

Union was to remain neutral on the offer and not to say recommend or not recommend it, Nige threw his toys out again because union wouldnt recommend it.
Views and Opinions are my own
(21 Nov 2023, 9:07 am)streetdeckfan wrote Christ, so not only are Unite paying drivers to sit on their arses at home, they're giving them a free jolly to Canada!
Jelly? I know I am.

Indefinite paid leave and a free trip abroad would make me consider using my bus licence and becoming a bus driver for Go North East.

Perhaps they should use that as a marketing ploy to advertise vacancies in bus shelters and on the back of buses instead of the uninspiring campaign currently in use.

Sent from my SM-A526B using Tapatalk
(21 Nov 2023, 8:07 am)citaro5284 wrote Go North East drivers in Canada in bid to stop strikes

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-ty...LTTXqIWq8g

Business director Ben Maxfield said "Unite are, of course, free to talk to anybody they choose" but the "best way of settling this is for them to negotiate with us here in the North East"

Isn't that why the two drivers and Unite reps went to Canada? Because of the failure to of GAG to actually negotiate?
(21 Nov 2023, 9:07 am)streetdeckfan wrote Christ, so not only are Unite paying drivers to sit on their arses at home, they're giving them a free jolly to Canada!
You clearly know naff all about industrial action. And I hope I never have the misfortune to have to work with you.
(21 Nov 2023, 10:20 am)Bazza wrote I saw a GNE training bus on the road yesterday.     Are they still running courses?

Yeah they’ve got loads in the training school. Seen loads with a lot of people on as well. 

GNE won’t budge on offer and once they hit 12 weeks of strike action (I think they’re on 5 or 6 now including the 2 from a few months back) they can be legally sacked and that’s the way things are heading at the moment. They’ll more than likely ask current staff either to return to work or go.
(21 Nov 2023, 6:59 pm)ReDemPTiion wrote Yeah they’ve got loads in the training school. Seen loads with a lot of people on as well. 

GNE won’t budge on offer and once they hit 12 weeks of strike action (I think they’re on 5 or 6 now including the 2 from a few months back) they can be legally sacked and that’s the way things are heading at the moment. They’ll more than likely ask current staff either to return to work or go.

People keep mentioning this, but how would sacking the driving workforce after 12 weeks put you in a better position? Arguably you'd be in a worse position, when you're already struggling to recruit the required number of drivers in the first place. 

It's not like you can click your fingers and get a replacement workforce. Things like your training school and induction process all have capacities.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(21 Nov 2023, 7:45 pm)Adrian wrote People keep mentioning this, but how would sacking the driving workforce after 12 weeks put you in a better position? Arguably you'd be in a worse position, when you're already struggling to recruit the required number of drivers in the first place. 

It's not like you can click your fingers and get a replacement workforce. Things like your training school and induction process all have capacities.
This was always an inevitability with Nigel Feetham in control. A true Thatchite in attitude and employment management. 

Whilst people will return to bus use after the strike I hope if this is his achievement people will use alternative companies or make other arrangements. 

If a stand against this type of employment can't be taken by the workers, then the public at large should show their contempt for this type of assault on terms and conditions wholly endorsed by this regime in government.
(21 Nov 2023, 8:09 pm)Iamtheone8483748 wrote The talks scheduled for Friday have been pushed back to Monday apparently

Every time there's clear evidence of an inability to negotiate or talks are put off, I'm going to share this gem from Benjamin. 

Business director Ben Maxfield said "Unite are, of course, free to talk to anybody they choose" but the "best way of settling this is for them to negotiate with us here in the North East"

Well, I say every time. Will probably get bored.
(21 Nov 2023, 7:45 pm)Adrian wrote People keep mentioning this, but how would sacking the driving workforce after 12 weeks put you in a better position? Arguably you'd be in a worse position, when you're already struggling to recruit the required number of drivers in the first place. 

The replacement workforce would in all likelihood be most of the same workforce rehired on new contracts. Some would walk away but no doubt the vast majority would accept the new contracts if GNE did choose to go down the road of fire and rehire in January.
(21 Nov 2023, 8:48 pm)Dan_NCL wrote The replacement workforce would in all likelihood be most of the same workforce rehired on new contracts. Some would walk away but no doubt the vast majority would accept the new contracts if GNE did choose to go down the road of fire and rehire in January.

Go Ahead gave a commitment that they'd never go down the route of fire and rehire, after the fiasco across the Pennines.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Just seen someone say they are planning to go on another strike till April, but then someone said ANE/SCNE should take over all of GNE routes but not hire any ex-GNE employee, good luck!
(21 Nov 2023, 8:48 pm)Dan_NCL wrote The replacement workforce would in all likelihood be most of the same workforce rehired on new contracts. Some would walk away but no doubt the vast majority would accept the new contracts if GNE did choose to go down the road of fire and rehire in January.

If a fire and rehire happens, that will likely result in yet another PR disaster (not so much for the right-wing mob), and will likely further deteriorate industrial relations and goodwill, so ultimately GNE would be back at square one sooner or later.

(21 Nov 2023, 10:27 pm)Unber43 wrote Just seen someone say they are planning to go on another strike till April, but then someone said ANE/SCNE should take over all of GNE routes but not hire any ex-GNE employee, good luck!

I wonder if this happened in the late 80s/early 90s, Busways, Northumbria and the independents would have been all over their "turf" like a rash now.
Site Administrator
(21 Nov 2023, 8:23 pm)Andreos1 wrote Every time there's clear evidence of an inability to negotiate or talks are put off, I'm going to share this gem from Benjamin. 

Well, I say every time. Will probably get bored.

Obviously takes two to tango.

You seem to be assuming the company is the one that has delayed Friday’s talks (even though that is not true and Unite has openly told its members that they decided to push the talks back to next week…)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(21 Nov 2023, 10:49 pm)Dan wrote Obviously takes two to tango.

You seem to be assuming the company is the one that has delayed Friday’s talks (even though that is not true and Unite has openly told its members that they decided to push the talks back to next week…)?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When said companies management has set the bar so low, it might be best to not stoke the flames.