You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action

Site Administrator
(21 Nov 2023, 10:56 pm)solsburian wrote When said companies management has set the bar so low, it might be best to not stoke the flames.

I’m not sure what you’re trying to suggest about my previous post here, but I see no wrongdoing in confirming the party that pushed back talks from Friday to next week, after another post which could be interpreted as suggesting it was the company which delayed these talks.

Unite openly told its members earlier this evening (though did not provide a reason), and there are plenty of the company’s drivers who are Union members who were aware of this and could have also posted this confirmation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RE: Go North East - 2023 Pay Deal and Industrial Action
(21 Nov 2023, 10:49 pm)Dan wrote Obviously takes two to tango.

You seem to be assuming the company is the one that has delayed Friday’s talks (even though that is not true and Unite has openly told its members that they decided to push the talks back to next week…)?

But you missed the bit where they tried to reschedule for today instead.
Site Administrator
(22 Nov 2023, 8:54 am)deanmachine wrote But you missed the bit where they tried to reschedule for today instead.

As I said, it takes two to tango.

(21 Nov 2023, 10:49 pm)Dan wrote Obviously takes two to tango.

You seem to be assuming the company is the one that has delayed Friday’s talks (even though that is not true and Unite has openly told its members that they decided to push the talks back to next week…)?

Push back talks or try to bring forward talks? 

Either way, when you've got a public statement saying Benjamin is wanting to negotiate and then cross-check the standard quotes saying they're offering X pay rise and it's clearly non-negotiable...
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(21 Nov 2023, 6:59 pm)ReDemPTiion wrote Yeah they’ve got loads in the training school. Seen loads with a lot of people on as well. 

What an invidious position the new starters are put in when they have passed their test!

They probably won’t be in the union, so I’m sure they’ll be expected to cross the picket line and run buses. 

Begs the question if there are any mentors who aren’t on strike, an if not will the new starters be allowed on the road without being properly mentored.
(22 Nov 2023, 9:56 am)Bazza wrote What an invidious position the new starters are put in when they have passed their test!

They probably won’t be in the union, so I’m sure they’ll be expected to cross the picket line and run buses. 

Begs the question if there are any mentors who aren’t on strike, an if not will the new starters be allowed on the road without being properly mentored.
or the route learning...
(23 Nov 2023, 11:50 am)Mark1 wrote X1 will operate skeleton service from Monday 27th between Gateshead and Peterlee. 

https://www.gonortheast.co.uk/update-industrial-action

This won't be used, it doesnt go into newcastle. Theres not much at gateshead and zero connections to anywhere other than the The Galleries.
Twitter: @ASX_Terranova
Blog: https://asxterranova.home.blog/
(23 Nov 2023, 1:17 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote This won't be used, it doesnt go into newcastle. Theres not much at gateshead and zero connections to anywhere other than the The Galleries.

The 21 only goes to Gateshead, too. I guess the priority there was 3 buses an hour connecting to the metro rather than 2 an hour to Eldon Square.
(23 Nov 2023, 1:30 pm)ASX_Terranova wrote Are GNE in breach of the tender contract for not running the 82, I live on that route and I'm unsure if this is the case or not as I may lodge an official compliant.

Should have stayed with Jh. At least they would still have a bus service
(23 Nov 2023, 4:57 pm)idiot wrote Idiots walking in front of the buses.

There's nothing stopping pedestrians from walking on roads. They're wearing hi-vis, so at least they'll be seen.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
(23 Nov 2023, 5:06 pm)Adrian wrote There's nothing stopping pedestrians from walking on roads. They're wearing hi-vis, so at least they'll be seen.

Conversely, it is an offence to cause an obstruction of the public highway and specifically in relation to industrial action, it is a criminal offence to block people or vehicles trying to get into a workplace that is on strike.

I know, I know, they are still 'moving' but it is still an obstruction as it prevents progress at a reasonable pace.

These buses are coming back to the depot (not heading out), so I'm struggling to understand the rationale for slowing them up, given GNE aren't impacted by it, neither are the public, as it's already done it's revenue running. Bizarre.
(23 Nov 2023, 6:04 pm)RobinHood wrote Conversely, it is an offence to cause an obstruction of the public highway and specifically in relation to industrial action, it is a criminal offence to block people or vehicles trying to get into a workplace that is on strike.

I know, I know, they are still 'moving' but it is still an obstruction as it prevents progress at a reasonable pace.

These buses are coming back to the depot (not heading out), so I'm struggling to understand the rationale for slowing them up, given GNE aren't impacted by it, neither are the public, as it's already done it's revenue running. Bizarre.

I don't believe that to be correct. My understanding is that it's an offence to cause an obstruction, but walking on a public highway is not an obstruction. Even when footpaths exist, its only an advisory in the highway code that they should be, not must be, used.

There's no requirement in the Highways Act for progress at a reasonable pace, only free passage. It was recently introduced in the Public Order Act 2023 to prevent walking protest disruptions to road infrastructure, but that only applies to Motorway, A and B roads (or special roads, per section 16 of the Highways Act)

In regards to the Trade Union act and other anti-strike legislation, I think the key here is probably whether they're being prevented. In the videos above, no one is being prevented, they're merely having to wait for 'traffic' to clear first. I suspect if the strike breaker got out of the bus, they'd be able to freely walk in to the depot.

In addition, whilst obstructing someone from entering the public highway is a criminal matter, I understand that if someone was obstructed from leaving the public highway, that would instead be a civil matter.

People might find it annoying, but when there's so much anti-strike legislation in place, you've got to work within the confines of what you've got.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
I had a rare day out using Arriva Northumbria services today - and every driver I had was welcoming/friendly,
with most saying hello as you board. Was very impressed when one of the drivers got out to help an elderly person with their shopping trolley.

Getting this with Go North East was rare, so it does make you wonder how the conditions differ between companies. Or it could be a coincidence, who knows.
(23 Nov 2023, 10:04 pm)Thomas12 wrote I had a rare day out using Arriva Northumbria services today - and every driver I had was welcoming/friendly,
with most saying hello as you board. Was very impressed when one of the drivers got out to help an elderly person with their shopping trolley.

Getting this with Go North East was rare, so it does make you wonder how the conditions differ between companies. Or it could be a coincidence, who knows.

Probably coincidence. I've had drivers all over the lovely - affable-disinterested-arsehole-lead footed maniac-tool spectrum on both GNE and ANE.
I've been out with a group of friends who are very much left leaning in their politics. I was very surprised at how much their support for the drivers seems to have dropped. I'm sensing there really is a bit of strike fatigue hitting now.
Hopefully those street walkers display the same patience with cyclists once they’re back behind the wheel of a bus, as those non-striking drivers have shown in the videos.
(24 Nov 2023, 9:41 am)ne14ne1 wrote Hopefully those street walkers display the same patience with cyclists once they’re back behind the wheel of a bus, as those non-striking drivers have shown in the videos.

You'd want a bus front bumper to almost be touching cyclists, as what is happening on those videos? There's a complete disregard for the hierarchy of road users being shown there, with frustration perhaps getting the better of the obligation to concern yourself with the safety of more vulnerable road users.
(24 Nov 2023, 2:04 pm)Chris3912 wrote You really think Unite are going to recommend any offer on Monday? They're preparing for the worst by asking members to vote for continued strike action.....

https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-event...r-fair-pay
It'd be madness for them not to re-ballot, as it's required to renew the mandate every 6 months.

It doesn't mean to say it'll continue for another 6 months, just that they've got that to fall back on, should an acceptable offer not materialise.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
(24 Nov 2023, 10:07 am)Adrian wrote You'd want a bus front bumper to almost be touching cyclists, as what is happening on those videos? 

For the record no absolutely not. I wasn’t commenting on the distance between the two & hadn’t considered it being interpreted that way. 
I simply meant that the drivers weren’t honking at the walkers wanting them out of the way, as I’ve previously seen cyclists being honked at like they shouldn’t have been on the road.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-tyne-67520960

I thought he wanted to negotiate? 

Business director Ben Maxfield said "Unite are, of course, free to talk to anybody they choose" but the "best way of settling this is for them to negotiate with us here in the North East"

In the link above, he's urging people to accept the proposal.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
See Stagecoach have made a very competitive offer to their drivers! Strike could be extremely damaging to GNE especially if drivers are lured to other operators with welcome bonuses!

Wouldn't surprise me one bit if Percy Main is shut down as most of the work could be covered by Stagecoach (revisions to 22, 37, 38 and X63) and ironically Arriva (if they took back the 53/353 and extended it to Morpeth in place of the 43) with just the 307 & 309 being kept from Riverside by GNE.
Don't know if it's been made public so won't share details but yes, the offer for SC Sunderland looks very nice IMO. See how the ballot goes.