You need to enable JavaScript to run this app.

Skip to main content

Tyneside Heritage Vehicles
Couldn't see a way to post on the other thread on this topic - does anyone know that the current situation is with the THV accomodation issue?  The deadline for moving out of Felling has long since passed but haven't seen anything further about this and there's no update on their socials.  Hoping they managed to get something sorted.
RE: Tyneside Heritage Vehicles
They got extended till the end of June but it's all going. They had 30 buses now down to 14 left in the shed. They leave at the end of June and sadly nothing has been sorted. It's sad to see 14 years of bus preservation gone in the blink of an eye
It's an awful end to perhaps the most progressive preservation group up here, but I think it ultimately highlights that you're never safe, unless you either have a long-term tenancy agreement (with no break option) or you own your own building.

Like most things though, people want to enjoy something, but generally aren't prepared to financially support the existence. The vast majority of bus preservation is still carried out from the owners pocket, though appreciating that is sometimes by choice.

NEBPT are also struggling for accommodation, due to the deteriorating condition of their place at Wardley/Felling, and they've been trying to source their own building for as long as I can remember.
(30 May 2024, 9:55 am)Adrian wrote It's an awful end to perhaps the most progressive preservation group up here, but I think it ultimately highlights that you're never safe, unless you either have a long-term tenancy agreement (with no break option) or you own your own building.

Like most things though, people want to enjoy something, but generally aren't prepared to financially support the existence. The vast majority of bus preservation is still carried out from the owners pocket, though appreciating that is sometimes by choice.

NEBPT are also struggling for accommodation, due to the deteriorating condition of their place at Wardley/Felling, and they've been trying to source their own building for as long as I can remember.

You have to wonder if the various preservation groups wouldn't be better off joining forces and getting the economies of scale that could come from combining resources and sharing a space.  Appreciate there will be personalities and history at play, and risks of vandalism/loss of everything if anything went wrong...and that the geography might not work for a NE-wide approach but there's several T&W based groups each with their own sites and challenges as you point out.  I know things like lottery funding have supported some groups but presumably not to the scale needed, more for individual restorations.
(30 May 2024, 5:24 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote You have to wonder if the various preservation groups wouldn't be better off joining forces and getting the economies of scale that could come from combining resources and sharing a space.  Appreciate there will be personalities and history at play, and risks of vandalism/loss of everything if anything went wrong...and that the geography might not work for a NE-wide approach but there's several T&W based groups each with their own sites and challenges as you point out.  I know things like lottery funding have supported some groups but presumably not to the scale needed, more for individual restorations.

I tend to agree. Having one CIC and charity setup to combine the various groups would probably be the best option, but I appreciate that it'll be seen as far from a simple solution. 

I know NEBPT have had some limited success with the likes of HLF, but not sure other groups have been in a position to bid? There's loads of different sources of funding around, but ideally you need to get someone involved who has experience of writing funding bids.
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook
Update posted today on their facebook page confirming several vehicles sold out of area, or even worse for scrap, including GAG 3771.

Handful of vehicles listed as being retained with notable omissions being fully restored EJR111W and UVK290T - fingers crossed these aren't to be lost from the NE.

Pretty shameful that only one of the big three in the region look to have offered any support. Suspect would have been a bit different under the previous GNE leadership.
(01 Jun 2024, 11:47 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote Update posted today on their facebook page confirming several vehicles sold out of area, or even worse for scrap, including GAG 3771.

Handful of vehicles listed as being retained with notable omissions being fully restored EJR111W and UVK290T - fingers crossed these aren't to be lost from the NE.

Pretty shameful that only one of the big three in the region look to have offered any support.  Suspect would have been a bit different under the previous GNE leadership.

Saw a photo of GAG3771 that they shared and it appeared to have been dormant for quite a while. 
Caked in dust across the interior and the entrance full of leaves. 
Guessing it had been stored outdoors for a while. 

A shame it was allowed to get in to that state and a shame it is off for scrap. 

In the past, I've spoken about how these preservation groups are run by cliques. By hobbyist and fans of buses, who maybe have some sort of background in mechanics or paintwork. 
They're not business minded. They're not commercially savvy. 
It could be said they shouldn't need to be. But in the modern world, being reliant on the odd donation and whatever cash is left in the kitty - isn't going to get anyone very far. 

Whilst I'm not accusing THV of being any of those things or anything else, looking at things from the outside in, there's clearly a need to improve the way they operate.
'Illegitimis non carborundum'
(02 Jun 2024, 12:04 pm)Andreos1 wrote Saw a photo of GAG3771 that they shared and it appeared to have been dormant for quite a while. 

In the past, I've spoken about how these preservation groups are run by cliques. By hobbyist and fans of buses, who maybe have some sort of background in mechanics or paintwork. 
It could be said they shouldn't need to be. But in the modern world, being reliant on the odd donation and whatever cash is left in the kitty - isn't going to get anyone very far. 

Whilst I'm not accusing THV of being any of those things or anything else, looking at things from the outside in, there's clearly a need to improve the way they operate.

How can they improve. There shed was full of 30 vehicles and most wasn't even theres. Idk what improvement they could have given
(02 Jun 2024, 12:04 pm)Andreos1 wrote Saw a photo of GAG3771 that they shared and it appeared to have been dormant for quite a while. 

Most of the vehicles at THV were privately owned, and I presume on the basis that they paid a storage fee for their buses to be stored there. 3771 was one of them.

I'm not sure on it's detailed history, but it had been stored outside for some years. Presumably, at a point when the storage fee isn't being paid for and they need space for other vehicles?

There's always a similar pattern with preservation projects. Everyone wants something saved, but no one is willing to stick their hand in their pocket to save it.

Even if you haven't the expertise to restore it, just saving it from the scrapper and paying its storage fee is a start, and that's still rarely forthcoming.

I'd only been to THV twice, and I found them to be a great bunch of lads. Very welcoming, and I got to have a good look around on both occasions. It's a crying shame that we've lost all that hard work and a unique collection.

Sent from my SM-S916B using Tapatalk
Forum Moderator | Find NEB on facebook

I think the bigger problem is no-one cares. Old buses just aren't interesting to 99.9% of people unless they're really old, Routemasters etc. Trains are the same pretty much, no-one wants to go and see a Class 319 at a museum as they're dull as dish water.

I'm part of that 99.9% aswell, there's no real revenue from them so the only way they're going to stay afloat is if someone rich funds them imo.
(03 Jun 2024, 10:28 am)Andreos1 wrote https://www.facebook.com/share/p/T7E5e7ChnH5fKvqd/

Relevant, but not relevant - it appears MG has sold his faux-Northumbria liveried Olympian.

It's been sold for a while now. Last appeared at seaburn event in 2022. It appeared at Whitley Bay 2022 not under MG anymore and then went to the County Durham Bus Preservation Group then went to THV before it went to Latholmand and has now gone to another Preservation Group
(03 Jun 2024, 10:58 am)Aaron21 wrote It's been sold for a while now. Last appeared at seaburn event in 2022. It appeared at Whitley Bay 2022 not under MG anymore and then went to the County Durham Bus Preservation Group then went to THV before it went to Latholmand and has now gone to another Preservation Group

Must admit well done to MG for doing that-  he is always busy with other commitments up and down the country
(02 Jun 2024, 8:47 pm)Storx wrote I think the bigger problem is no-one cares. Old buses just aren't interesting to 99.9% of people unless they're really old, Routemasters etc. Trains are the same pretty much, no-one wants to go and see a Class 319 at a museum as they're dull as dish water.

I'm part of that 99.9% aswell, there's no real revenue from them so the only way they're going to stay afloat is if someone rich funds them imo.

I agree in some respects but not others. Preservation does largely rely on people who have the money to save a vehicle but there are ways preservation clubs can generate revenue. NNRG are a good example of this by offering monthly memberships, open days, and the fish and chip runs etc. I'm not sure if THV or NEBPT offer anything similar.
I suggested in a previous message a few months ago that preserved buses could be used for special event shuttles etc. 

I think a big problem with the bus industry now is that it is not being run by proper bus people like it did for many years in the NGT and early Go-Ahead Northern days. These were people who took real pride and care in the buses and in their work. Sadly like a lot of industries now they are ran by people who are university graduates who have the qualifications to run a business but have very little interest or emotional connection to buses. It's all about money now and this probably why the interest in buses for the public has declined over the years too.

(22 Jun 2024, 9:10 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote Saw 3771 heading off on what appeared to be a journey to it's final resting place this afternoon, passing through Gateshead on tow by Alpha looking to have been partly cannibalised.  A sad end.

Such a shame to hear this. Was looking forward to seeing this being fully restored. Does anyone know if  there any ex-NGT C reg metrobuses in preservation or have they all now bitten the dust? Also does anyone have any idea which THV vehicles have survived and which ones have been scrapped? Thanks
(07 Jul 2024, 7:48 pm)Washingtonian wrote Such a shame to hear this. Was looking forward to seeing this being fully restored. Does anyone know if  there any ex-NGT C reg metrobuses in preservation or have they all now bitten the dust? Also does anyone have any idea which THV vehicles have survived and which ones have been scrapped? Thanks

I tried to piece together a list a while ago but it is incomplete - would welcome any corrections or additions

THV owned vehicles
EJR111W - sold
AVK176V - retained by THV
UVK290T - sold
JFT413X - retained by THV
OCU769R - retained by THV
OWC720M - unknown, not stated as being retained by the group

Guest vehicles
EXG892 - sold
EJR129W - unknown
EJR110W - transferred to different storage location
G251SRG - unknown
MVK538R - sold
SVK616G - retained by THV
GBB516K - unknown
GBK524K - unknown
OCU807R - unknown
F915JRG - retained by THV
R101KRG - owned by NEBPT, presumed moved to their site
N474RVK - unknown
M902DRG - sold to Scottish owner
POG557Y - sold to new owner in South of England
C771OCN - scrapped
SJR612Y - scrapped
OCU772R - retained (parts donor)
H426BNL - retained by THV
(07 Jul 2024, 10:26 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote I tried to piece together a list a while ago but it is incomplete - would welcome any corrections or additions

THV owned vehicles
EJR111W - sold
UVK290T - sold

Guest vehicles
EXG892 - sold
EJR129W - unknown
G251SRG - unknown
MVK538R - sold
GBB516K - unknown
GBK524K - unknown
OCU807R - unknown
N474RVK - unknown
C771OCN - scrapped
SJR612Y - scrapped

OWC720M has been reported elsewhere as sold to Mike Ede of Gloucestershire.  Fingers crossed!
(07 Jul 2024, 10:26 pm)stagecoachbusdepot wrote I tried to piece together a list a while ago but it is incomplete - would welcome any corrections or additions

THV owned vehicles
EJR111W - sold
UVK290T - sold

Guest vehicles
EXG892 - sold
EJR129W - unknown
G251SRG - unknown
MVK538R - sold
GBB516K - unknown
GBK524K - unknown
OCU807R - unknown
N474RVK - unknown
C771OCN - scrapped
SJR612Y - scrapped

Great work! Thanks for this! I think THV have done really well to keep so many vehicles in such difficult circumstances. It's a shame a few had to be sold but at least they will live on somewhere. Of course I'm sad to see both C771 OCN and SJR 612Y go but if they are the only ones to be scrapped after this then that's not too bad of an outcome.